The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
hoxxey

playoff game...

bruins look unstoppable.  They have it all, refereeing in their favor, a crazy hot goalkeeper (which sucks the life out of the other team) and a suffocating forecheck (including the ducks Chris Wagner - someone I hated to see get traded by the GM)  He looks great.

20 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Jim Fox is, and always will be, the worst.  But I can't stand trolls of any sort, so being self-aware doesn't make it any better.  It makes it worse.  If Edwards came by it honestly (just a super homer), he'd still be awful, but at least it would be awful with integrity.  Putting on an act to tick people off gains him zero respect from me.

Normally I'd agree. Especially in today's climate where you've got people hiding behind the label of troll to get away with saying whatever awful garbage they want to others. Edwards is a harmless hockey broadcaster though. It's not like anything he says is inflammatory (although I guess I wouldn't be shocked if he has crossed a line before). He just strikes me as a cartoon villain with a microphone. Not everyone wants their hockey game to sound like a pro wrestling event and that's cool. Personally I just think it's an amusing change of pace from the usual style of commentary in hockey. I don't watch a lot of Bruins games so that's probably why. I'm sure he would get exhausting real fast if we played Boston more than twice a year.

The NHL refs are a ****ing joke. How the hell are the Sharks benefitting from all these blown calls? Refs just handed Sharks game 3 because they didn’t call a handpass right before the goal. What a joke.

frak THIS frakING Dehydrated Donkey Dung. THE SHARKS HAVE EARNED NOTHING! I look forward to ANOTHER apology from the NHL for giving the Sharks ANOTHER game...there better be a fraking asterisk next to them if they win the cup saying "actually didn't deserve it"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

frak THIS frakING Dehydrated Donkey Dung. THE SHARKS HAVE EARNED NOTHING! I look forward to ANOTHER apology from the NHL for giving the Sharks ANOTHER game...there better be a fraking asterisk next to them if they win the cup saying "actually didn't deserve it"

How about a simple rule change.   All plays can be reviewed for missed calls?

4 minutes ago, DT2008 said:

How about a simple rule change.   All plays can be reviewed for missed calls?

I can't get behind that. I CAN get behind that in regards to plays involving goals in the final 2 minutes of a close game/ALL goals in OT...but still, that Game 7 thing is STILL on Vegas...I don't think that should be a reviewable play. It's still wrong and gave the sharks a win they should not have had. But this. This is just....ugh.

At this point...it's honestly BAD for the league if the Sharks win the cup. Their run is a disgrace. This is Dallas in '99 all over again. Except potentially worse as it's reoccurring and multiple instances.

• Like 1

I’m so glad I boycotted watching the playoffs after the 5 minute major travesty.  It has saved me a lot of time and aggrevation.  I will continue the boycott until the Sharks are eliminated, and the way it’s going, that likely means the rest of the SC playoffs.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I can't get behind that. I CAN get behind that in regards to plays involving goals in the final 2 minutes of a close game/ALL goals in OT...but still, that Game 7 thing is STILL on Vegas...I don't think that should be a reviewable play. It's still wrong and gave the sharks a win they should not have had. But this. This is just....ugh.

At this point...it's honestly BAD for the league if the Sharks win the cup. Their run is a disgrace. This is Dallas in '99 all over again. Except potentially worse as it's reoccurring and multiple instances.

Oh it’s much worse even on the first instance.  Dallas won Game 6 in 1999 in OT with the toe in the crease goal by Hull.  If they waive off the goal they still have a roughly 75% chance of winning the Cup because either Game 6 or Game 7 could have gone either way and they only needed one win.  If not for the 5 minute major, there is a 90+% chance the Sharks are eliminated in the first round.  Further blown callls are just piling on.

F*** the bogus 2019 SC playoffs.  Go Gulls!

Woof. Any team would be lucky to get through an entire playoff run with just one of the critical breaks San Jose has gotten so far. Even the Lidstrom era Ref Wings would get jealous watching these Sharks. 

25 minutes ago, CAsFirstCup said:

Oh it’s much worse even on the first instance.  Dallas won Game 6 in 1999 in OT with the toe in the crease goal by Hull.  If they waive off the goal they still have a roughly 75% chance of winning the Cup because either Game 6 or Game 7 could have gone either way and they only needed one win.  If not for the 5 minute major, there is a 90+% chance the Sharks are eliminated in the first round.  Further blown callls are just piling on.

F*** the bogus 2019 SC playoffs.  Go Gulls!

Fair point fair point

i am surprised at how many blown calls there are this season.  like, what are the refs drinking in between periods this year?

on the review stuff.... how do you make a rule that covers this most recent case, where the puck was played by 2 further players before it went in the goal?  limit the review to when the puck last entered the offensive zone (sort of mirroring the offside rule)?  limit it to when you'd have to give an assist to a player who hand passed the puck?  hard to do.  i guess if you limited it to game winning goals scored within 3-5 minutes of the end of the game (not tying goals, just GWG), and required a coach's challenge (if they had a T/O left).  Coach has to indicate the play (a single one) he wants to challenge, not just a blanket challenge.

on the 5 minute major - i'm not super opposed to a video review before any non-fighting 5MM sticks.  refs can still throw out the player to get him off the ice (when things are tense), but the 5MM would require a huddle over whether the act meets the required elements of the applicable rule, toronto would defer to the on-ice ref's judgement when that ref reviewed in slow mo.  the real issue here is whether such review would mean there'd be fewer 5MMs handed out (which would be bad for the whole fight-against-concussion movement).  5MMs are sooooooooo often determinative... but when a player deserves it, they deserve it, and it's worthwhile to make the team pay for the transgression (when it's a justified call).  if the review translated into more 5MM calls (because they could just review to be safe), then i'd be behind it.  there'd have to be a time limit in place to keep the game going, but, on the permissive side, i have yet to see a quick non-fighting 5MM levied in a game.

No wonder the NHL is number 4 in the rankings of pro sports.  The way they do things just smells like dumb and minor league...

The constant poor play of the refs mar the game and turn hockey fans off.  I'm sick of it.

I don't care who wins the stanley cup.  The league wants boston and sj and it looks like nothing will stop that from happening.  So not cool.  How many more horseshoes are they going to pull out of the backside of the sharks...  What a joke.

being a sharks fan must be fun.  barf...

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

i am surprised at how many blown calls there are this season.  like, what are the refs drinking in between periods this year?

on the review stuff.... how do you make a rule that covers this most recent case, where the puck was played by 2 further players before it went in the goal?  limit the review to when the puck last entered the offensive zone (sort of mirroring the offside rule)?  limit it to when you'd have to give an assist to a player who hand passed the puck?  hard to do.  i guess if you limited it to game winning goals scored within 3-5 minutes of the end of the game (not tying goals, just GWG), and required a coach's challenge (if they had a T/O left).  Coach has to indicate the play (a single one) he wants to challenge, not just a blanket challenge.

on the 5 minute major - i'm not super opposed to a video review before any non-fighting 5MM sticks.  refs can still throw out the player to get him off the ice (when things are tense), but the 5MM would require a huddle over whether the act meets the required elements of the applicable rule, toronto would defer to the on-ice ref's judgement when that ref reviewed in slow mo.  the real issue here is whether such review would mean there'd be fewer 5MMs handed out (which would be bad for the whole fight-against-concussion movement).  5MMs are sooooooooo often determinative... but when a player deserves it, they deserve it, and it's worthwhile to make the team pay for the transgression (when it's a justified call).  if the review translated into more 5MM calls (because they could just review to be safe), then i'd be behind it.  there'd have to be a time limit in place to keep the game going, but, on the permissive side, i have yet to see a quick non-fighting 5MM levied in a game.

The Canes coach had an interesting suggestion of taking a linesman and a ref and put them in the timeskeeper box and have an overall look on the ice. Same responsibilities if on the ice, but get the extra view.

But more importantly, I think it's super exciting that the NHL might have to get into a very deep philosophical discussion about how (if at all) do actions ACTUALLY affect something? The hand-pass directly affected the goal last night...but...as you pointed out, where do you draw the line? One could definitely argue that a missed call as long ago as a previous period had a chain reaction that lead to this goal. Some Sharks fans are trying to equate missing penalties as the equivalent of missing that hand pass. First off - that's incredibly ridiculous to try and compare as one thing has the potential to create a goal while the other ACTUALLY created a goal. But 2nd off - who's to say that those power plays wouldn't have just given more momentum to the Blues and then they would have gotten MORE goals???? So really, the Blues have just as much of a case to make that the missed calls hurt them, too. It's all in theory, any way!

I disagree with the 5MM review. I think just 'cause it gives a team an advantage, that it's STILL on the opposing team to defend well. Missed calls like that suck, but like, if you play well, you don't let them be a factor. That's just my response to the Vegas and Colorado batched calls. The Blues one last night is HORRIBLE.

23 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I disagree with the 5MM review. I think just 'cause it gives a team an advantage, that it's STILL on the opposing team to defend well. Missed calls like that suck, but like, if you play well, you don't let them be a factor. That's just my response to the Vegas and Colorado batched calls. The Blues one last night is HORRIBLE.

NHL refs are in a weird place.  There are all these tiered, rigorous rules, and the emphasis keeps changing as the league and owners sort of wag the dog because, for example, some really good player gets a broken hand when someone chops them in an obvious slashing call, or they say they want to reduce concussions but can't put together a good set of consistent referee and league behavior when it comes to implement the policies.  On top of that, hockey refs seem to determine the outcome of games more than in a lot of other sports, though it's for a variety of reasons. 

Soccer is similarly low scoring, but the refs are taught to be as non-intrusive to play as possible, and they have the mechanism of "advantage" to obviate a lot of stoppages.

Football includes a ton of referee input, but the games are generally so high scoring that their meddling (like how they choose to call holding or not on every single freaking play) just isn't as determinative as often (yes, I know a couple of superbowl and conference games have been pretty screwed of late, but you get it).  

Baseball... it's just not as much of an issue.  yeah, there's an umpire that makes a call every pitch, but it's the actual mechanism of the game.

Basketball - too high scoring for it to matter than much.  

Hockey - i just see too often a close game (meaning, the cap and balance of the teams appears to generally be working well) that is won solely because a reg issued an additional 2m to one team over the other, some ticky tacky thing like a soft pick or phantom hook.  i hate that.  curbing a little of that referee power by forcing all non-fight 5MMs to be reviewed seems like a step in the right direction, at least until the refs get some consistency in league policies for a few years and the refs can call head shots consistently for in-game penalties (where they should be meted out) and not feel at odds with toronto's joystick refs.

ug, i'm totally babbling.  you're probably right.  that vegas one was a one-off i think, and it's probably not worthwhile to create a rule just to address it.  especially since all Vegas needed to do was man up for the 5 minutes and most wouldn't have cared.  it wasn't a great call, but it was understandable given what the one ref probably saw.

the hand pass, though... that one just seemed unfair.  i stepped through it last night and i can't tell but it seemed like there was an empty spot where a ref should have been to see that happen.  likely a cheater position for one of the refs.  did any of the team get suspended from the next game?

That Prince of Wales trophy presentation was one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've seen in a while. Who picked that overdramatic funeral music and why was it so loud :lol:

Edited by PetrSykora

It sucks that Boston swept.  I think they will have 10 or more days off before the finals start.  They will get rusty and the Sharks will likely steal one or both of the first 2 games, and go on to win the Cup. They might not even need help from the refs this time...

41 minutes ago, CAsFirstCup said:

It sucks that Boston swept.  I think they will have 10 or more days off before the finals start.  They will get rusty and the Sharks will likely steal one or both of the first 2 games, and go on to win the Cup. They might not even need help from the refs this time...

I also think it sucks that Boston swept, but apparently not for the same reasons you do.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hoxxey said:

No wonder the NHL is number 4 in the rankings of pro sports.  The way they do things just smells like dumb and minor league...

The constant poor play of the refs mar the game and turn hockey fans off.  I'm sick of it.

I don't care who wins the stanley cup.  The league wants boston and sj and it looks like nothing will stop that from happening.  So not cool.  How many more horseshoes are they going to pull out of the backside of the sharks...  What a joke.

being a sharks fan must be fun.  barf...

Considering the refs after the Game 7 vs Vegas and the hand pass in Game 3 vs St. Louis have all been dropped immediately after their mistakes I have a pretty hard time believing the league 'wants' the Sharks to win. 

18 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

The Canes coach had an interesting suggestion of taking a linesman and a ref and put them in the timeskeeper box and have an overall look on the ice. Same responsibilities if on the ice, but get the extra view.

But more importantly, I think it's super exciting that the NHL might have to get into a very deep philosophical discussion about how (if at all) do actions ACTUALLY affect something? The hand-pass directly affected the goal last night...but...as you pointed out, where do you draw the line? One could definitely argue that a missed call as long ago as a previous period had a chain reaction that lead to this goal. Some Sharks fans are trying to equate missing penalties as the equivalent of missing that hand pass. First off - that's incredibly ridiculous to try and compare as one thing has the potential to create a goal while the other ACTUALLY created a goal. But 2nd off - who's to say that those power plays wouldn't have just given more momentum to the Blues and then they would have gotten MORE goals???? So really, the Blues have just as much of a case to make that the missed calls hurt them, too. It's all in theory, any way!

To be fair I think the argument is that the refs missed a pretty clear delay of game against the Blues player (Perron I believe) about a minute before he scored a goal. So that missed call actually did sort of create a goal as the guy that scored shouldn't have even been on the ice, he should have been in the box.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nieder said:

To be fair I think the argument is that the refs missed a pretty clear delay of game against the Blues player (Perron I believe) about a minute before he scored a goal. So that missed call actually did sort of create a goal as the guy that scored shouldn't have even been on the ice, he should have been in the box.

Ok, yeah, that's fair. I get that. But I still stand by that the Sharks on a PP could have resulted in a shorthanded goal by the Blues :P 

22 hours ago, Fisix said:

Football includes a ton of referee input, but the games are generally so high scoring that their meddling (like how they choose to call holding or not on every single freaking play) just isn't as determinative as often (yes, I know a couple of superbowl and conference games have been pretty screwed of late, but you get it). 

Also Football is sooo insanely start and stop...I can't stand it...although it makes it easy to be social while watching the game....same with baseball. Hockey you want to be focused a little bit more lol

23 hours ago, Fisix said:

Hockey - i just see too often a close game (meaning, the cap and balance of the teams appears to generally be working well) that is won solely because a reg issued an additional 2m to one team over the other, some ticky tacky thing like a soft pick or phantom hook.  i hate that.  curbing a little of that referee power by forcing all non-fight 5MMs to be reviewed seems like a step in the right direction, at least until the refs get some consistency in league policies for a few years and the refs can call head shots consistently for in-game penalties (where they should be meted out) and not feel at odds with toronto's joystick refs.

ug, i'm totally babbling.  you're probably right.  that vegas one was a one-off i think, and it's probably not worthwhile to create a rule just to address it.  especially since all Vegas needed to do was man up for the 5 minutes and most wouldn't have cared.  it wasn't a great call, but it was understandable given what the one ref probably saw.

True, I see your point...but...also...I like that you're saying I'm probably right haha so I'd rather just focus on that part :P

And not sure if they got suspended or not...I mean....it's bull...but also, if NO ref saw it they can't do much than what they did....but...like...come on....refs...LOOK at the puck lol

• Like 1

Refs can’t gift another win to the undeserving Sharks, Blues tie the series 2-2. 

Edited by Spencer_12
  • Like 1

Man...Jones is just leaving that short side on the glove side open ALL game. And I'd be stunned, too, if I were the Sharks players...my goalie just passed it TO THE BLUES player to score in an empty net...like...you're at a point as a player where you can't trust your keeper. That's really bad.

And also they can't exactly use Game 7 against the Knights as motivation...they had a 5-min major power play!

Sharks got run over by a semi truck in game 5. Hopefully they get what they deserve and St. Louis finishes them off at home in game 6. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jones is just plain inconsistent.  I hope the Blues finish them at home in Game 6.  The Blues fans are good ones, and I’d like to see Maroon and the Blues lift the cup.  One of GMBMs dumb moves was trading Maroon.

I’m a Blues fan if they make the SCF; otherwise I’m with Marchand and the Bruins.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Jones is just plain inconsistent.  I hope the Blues finish them at home in Game 6.  The Blues fans are good ones, and I’d like to see Maroon and the Blues lift the cup.  One of GMBMs dumb moves was trading Maroon.

I’m a Blues fan if they make the SCF; otherwise I’m with Marchand and the Bruins.  

Same same same same

All this talk of "oh man what if Kane didn't hit the post and it went in????" ...well...I'd say to that then it would have been 5 to 1 instead of 5 to 0 😛 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Same same same same

All this talk of "oh man what if Kane didn't hit the post and it went in????" ...well...I'd say to that then it would have been 5 to 1 instead of 5 to 0 😛 

History doesn't remember what ifs...

Go Blues!