The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hoxxey

playoff game...

1 hour ago, DT2008 said:

If nothing else, it points to the importance of qualifying for the offseason. Unlike other recent champs, I can’t think any GM is devising ways of replicating St Louis. 

I think this is going to cement the idea in all GMs now that a coaching change early can make a big difference. We already saw it with Pittsburgh when they hired Sullivan and won the cup that year...now the Blues just did it. This was bad for coaches everywhere lol expect a plethora of coaches to be fired around January of next year from most of the teams in the bottom lol

3 hours ago, DT2008 said:

Thankfully this travesty of a post season is ending. Does anyone truly believe that St Louis is the best team in the league or that Boston was the second best?  A hobbled Ducks team would have been competitive vs either of them. 

Do we really think that the current playoff format is the best thing for hockey?  Perhaps we should consider changing back to 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 etc.  Or changing the first round to a best of 5 with 4 games at the team with the best record. 

Probably not. However no team makes it to the Finals based only on luck. It's hard to say both didn't deserve it. Did Boston have an easy road to the finals because of all the upsets? Perhaps. Then again the jackets wiped the floor with the lightning so they probably weren't that easy of an opponent.

But I agree on the current Playoff format. I don't like the #2 vs #3. Just go back to #1 vs. #8 and so on.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:12 PM, Jasoaks said:

So, nhlonnbcsports instagram account keeps touting Binnington's amazing historic playoff run...showing how no rookie goalie has ever won 16 games in the playoffs...and only Roy, Dryden, War, and Murray (who did it twice) won a cup clinching game as a rookie...

But wait wait wait...wasn't Niemi a rookie in Chicago?? Won 16 games...including the cup-clinching game?? As a rookie????

You're correct. But does a shooter tutor qualify?

Even though he had a bad game to finish, I still think Rask should have been Conn Smythe.  ROR was good, Binny was great, but each had multiple off games.  Rask had one.

13 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

The best team hardly ever wins the Cup.  That's just the nature of the playoffs - ANY playoffs.  Random things don't even out over the course of a seven-game series, slumps don't play themselves out, and hot streaks can carry the day.  If you want the best team to win the Cup, then give the Cup to the team with the most points at the end of the regular season, a la Premier League soccer in England.  If you DON'T want that, then I don't know what to tell you.  There's a ton of parity in hockey and seven-game series are decided by luck as much as by skill.  I suppose we could go to 13-game series and have the playoffs last until mid-August.

That said, I agree with your sentiment.  This was a pretty bad playoff year.  

16 hours ago, DT2008 said:

Far too many upsets for my taste. In the end, do you think this is the best team?  I don’t. I have to wonder if this is the best thing for hockey. 

Well, the question here is what do ya'll mean by "best" ? Who defines what makes a team "the best"?

The team that is highest in the standings? Well, Calgary was highest in our conference...I'd say they are far away from being "the best"

The team with the most talented players?? But if they can't face adversity or close out a series...are they truly the best team?

The team that has the most depth and plays the best as a team? I dunno...now we are getting pretty far down the line of what really is "the best" ...

Really you need a good balance of all of this. And the NHL decided over 100 years ago there was one thing and one thing only that defines the best team...the team that wins the Stanley Cup. So, really...the best ALWAYS wins the Cup...by winning the Cup....they are the best team.

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

Well, the question here is what do ya'll mean by "best" ? Who defines what makes a team "the best"?

The team that is highest in the standings? Well, Calgary was highest in our conference...I'd say they are far away from being "the best"

The team with the most talented players?? But if they can't face adversity or close out a series...are they truly the best team?

The team that has the most depth and plays the best as a team? I dunno...now we are getting pretty far down the line of what really is "the best" ...

Really you need a good balance of all of this. And the NHL decided over 100 years ago there was one thing and one thing only that defines the best team...the team that wins the Stanley Cup. So, really...the best ALWAYS wins the Cup...by winning the Cup....they are the best team.

Nailed it. The St Louis Blues were the best team of the 2018-19 season. And they've got the trophy to prove it.

This was such an exhausting year with the Ducks being trash for 90% of the season and that absolute gongshow of a postseason. It's nice seeing a team like St. Louis win after over a decade's worth of crappy media darling teams full of dirtbag players like Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Boston & Detroit hogging the title. Most likeable team since our Ducks honestly (at least from a Ducks fan's perspective). I'm happy for them but it was just hard for me to get emotionally invested in these playoffs at all. Gimme an exciting Ducks team over great hockey happening elsewhere every single time. 

26 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

This was such an exhausting year with the Ducks being trash for 90% of the season and that absolute gongshow of a postseason. It's nice seeing a team like St. Louis win after over a decade's worth of crappy media darling teams full of dirtbag players like Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Boston & Detroit hogging the title. Most likeable team since our Ducks honestly (at least from a Ducks fan's perspective). I'm happy for them but it was just hard for me to get emotionally invested in these playoffs at all. Gimme an exciting Ducks team over great hockey happening elsewhere every single time. 

They only won the cup last year. And they only won like what eight years ago? So not really hogging the title. 

For sure. Nothing beats a good ducks team. Even though we had some tough losses the past 7-8 years in the postseason and we weren't real contenders some years, it was still exciting to watch. I never really got into the playoffs this year after the ducks season was over. It was kind oh meh this year. 

I would welcome some news regarding the coach though. As even the off season so far hasn't impressed me with the direction the team is going. How long does it take for things to get done around here? Is the coach also a holdout until mid December? What gives?