The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hoxxey

playoff game...

I've been avoiding Western Conference teams like the plague. I was looking up something for the Avs and I couldn't help but notice Vegas has the top 3 scorers (in the playoff thus far) with Stone, Patches, and Statsny. Are they really murdering the Sharks that bad?

On 4/16/2019 at 7:06 PM, g20topdogg said:

But can we just say that this season sucked more for Tampa fans than ducks fans? I mean sure we were garbage but to have a team like that get swept and badly might I add is downright terrible. 

Very true.  The fact we knew what we had back in January, and all but the biggest Homers understood that we were not going to make the playoffs, meant we didn't have to get our hopes up these past 3 months.  If we had 10 points more in the standings, there would have been much more anxiety and tension down the stretch, most likely ending in either disappointment, or a 1st round exit.

But I can't imagine if the Ducks had somehow put up 128 Points, won the President's Cup, had Home Ice, and then got swept.  This board would have been in complete meltdown mode.  Stunned Disbelief is the only term I can think of to describe what the Lightning fans are experiencing.  There is no cure, and for all their achievements over the past 7 months, they're now in exactly the same place as the Ducks.....that being on the local golf course.

Take a shot every time Timo Meier snaps his head back the second anything comes anywhere near his robocop visor. You won't straight up die like you would if it was [insert predator here] but it'll make for a real fun night

On 4/16/2019 at 7:06 PM, g20topdogg said:

But can we just say that this season sucked more for Tampa fans than ducks fans? I mean sure we were garbage but to have a team like that get swept and badly might I add is downright terrible. 

I'd say it's still worse being San Jose fans...at least Tampa has won a cup!

Heh, I had no idea Bouwmeester was still playing till I saw the highlights of the game tonight. That guy really became forgetable.

8 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I'd say it's still worse being San Jose fans...at least Tampa has won a cup!

San Chose is the Florida Panthers of California.

On 4/18/2019 at 4:33 AM, poum said:

I've been avoiding Western Conference teams like the plague. I was looking up something for the Avs and I couldn't help but notice Vegas has the top 3 scorers (in the playoff thus far) with Stone, Patches, and Statsny. Are they really murdering the Sharks that bad?

The Sharks actually outplayed Vegas in much of their 5-0 loss but they couldn't beat Fleury and Jones sucks.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

The Sharks actually outplayed Vegas in much of their 5-0 loss but they couldn't beat Fleury and Jones sucks.

+100

8 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

+100

Jones is seriously terrible. The Sharks would probably be leading this series if they had a real goaltender. 

5 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

Calgary 😂😂😂😂

6 hours ago, nieder said:

Jones is seriously terrible. The Sharks would probably be leading this series if they had a real goaltender. 

Two teams with a common problem: no real goaltender for years. Philly too, imagine the damage Giroux and Co. would deal over the past years if they had anything close to an Andersen.

That said...LOL CALGARY. No seriously. I'm sorry and bepuzzled at Tampa, but totally don't care about stupid Flames and their madman Gio.

5 hours ago, Aksun said:

Two teams with a common problem: no real goaltender for years. Philly too, imagine the damage Giroux and Co. would deal over the past years if they had anything close to an Andersen.

That said...LOL CALGARY. No seriously. I'm sorry and bepuzzled at Tampa, but totally don't care about stupid Flames and their madman Gio.

Geo is a malicious dirty player. Can’t stand him. 

Hope Sharks can tie up their series and beat Vegas. Fans there have gone through a lot of ups and downright failures. Good fan base and lots have been around since the teams inception in the 90s. Vegas on the other hand prob has the most band wagoners in the entire league. They have not suffered a single season at all. None. Hope the Sharks can kick it into gear and do the reverse sweep on Vegas and their supposed 2 year old fan base. Gimme a break. 

57 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Geo is a malicious dirty player. Can’t stand him. 

Hope Sharks can tie up their series and beat Vegas. Fans there have gone through a lot of ups and downright failures. Good fan base and lots have been around since the teams inception in the 90s. Vegas on the other hand prob has the most band wagoners in the entire league. They have not suffered a single season at all. None. Hope the Sharks can kick it into gear and do the reverse sweep on Vegas and their supposed 2 year old fan base. Gimme a break. 

That just means our draft pick gets worse. I don't care about the Sharks nor their fan base and I hope they get booted in the first round. They've been Bettman's west coast darlings from day one.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:44 AM, nieder said:

Jones was actually great for them tonight. He's turned his series around which has gotten the Sharks to game 7.

Glad it worked out for Jones.  That was a cheesy penalty in overtime considering what the refs had let go.

Good for the SD Gulls to have the Sharks keep their (young) Barracuda players at the NHL level for a bit longer.

On 4/17/2019 at 10:16 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Mikko Rantanen has such an great release. Colorado is going to be so good for years to come.

Calgary gave him way too much space.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:35 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Is there a team with a brighter future than Colorado? Elite core, great prospect pool (that’s only going to get better in June) and tons of cap space 

I don't see it. Yes, they have MacKinnon and Rantanen, who are both elite players, and another solid forward in Landeskog, but after their big-3 I don't see much depth there at all. Aside from their multiple top-10 picks in the first round, they've been pretty lousy at drafting over the past 10 years and that team is now completely top-heavy. I've watched all of their games so far (and cheered for them loudly since I hate the Flames), and outside of MacKinnon/Rantanen I don't see anyone else doing much of anything that would make me excited about that team. Their #2C (Soderberg) also turns 34 in October, and their next best centers currently are JT Compher, who is maybe a 40-point player in a good year, and Tyson Jost, who currently isn't capable of playing more than 10 mins/game on the 4th line according to their coach.  They pick at #4 this year, but how long until their incoming #4 OA is ready to be a #2C for them (if ever)? Meanwhile, their top pairing of Johnson-Cole are both over 30 and Tyson Barrie has one year left on his deal before becoming a UFA. Sure, Makar gives them something to be excited about long term, but he's only 20 years old and frankly, after watching him play the last three games, he looks about as comfortable with physical contact at the NHL level as Fowler did when he was the same age - i.e. not at all. Just like Jultz did at Wisconsin, I don't think Makar has really readied himself for the physicality of the NHL by going the college route. He might take several steps back before he moves forward again. 

Colorado will go as far as MacKinnon/Rantanen take them for the next several years... which could be quite far since both are really good players.... but honestly, I'd rather be a Panthers fan or a VGK fan than an Avs fan right now for the next 3-4 years. The Avs still have way too many holes in their lineup to be capable of staying on top over the next several seasons. They could just as easily be a lottery team next season as they could be a playoff team.

Colorado has a great #1 line, a decent goalie, newly signed Makar, and that’s about it.  Avs are commonly referred to as a one line team.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't see it. Yes, they have MacKinnon and Rantanen, who are both elite players, and another solid forward in Landeskog, but after their big-3 I don't see much depth there at all. Aside from their multiple top-10 picks in the first round, they've been pretty lousy at drafting over the past 10 years and that team is now completely top-heavy. I've watched all of their games so far (and cheered for them loudly since I hate the Flames), and outside of MacKinnon/Rantanen I don't see anyone else doing much of anything that would make me excited about that team. Their #2C (Soderberg) also turns 34 in October, and their next best centers currently are JT Compher, who is maybe a 40-point player in a good year, and Tyson Jost, who currently isn't capable of playing more than 10 mins/game on the 4th line according to their coach.  They pick at #4 this year, but how long until their incoming #4 OA is ready to be a #2C for them (if ever)? Meanwhile, their top pairing of Johnson-Cole are both over 30 and Tyson Barrie has one year left on his deal before becoming a UFA. Sure, Makar gives them something to be excited about long term, but he's only 20 years old and frankly, after watching him play the last three games, he looks about as comfortable with physical contact at the NHL level as Fowler did when he was the same age - i.e. not at all. Just like Jultz did at Wisconsin, I don't think Makar has really readied himself for the physicality of the NHL by going the college route. He might take several steps back before he moves forward again. 

Colorado will go as far as MacKinnon/Rantanen take them for the next several years... which could be quite far since both are really good players.... but honestly, I'd rather be a Panthers fan or a VGK fan than an Avs fan right now for the next 3-4 years. The Avs still have way too many holes in their lineup to be capable of staying on top over the next several seasons. They could just as easily be a lottery team next season as they could be a playoff team.

I think Florida has a bright future, especially after landing Quenneville and potentially Panarin and obviously Vegas' future is now (it's going to be interesting to see how VGK handles being up against the cap after this season, with William Karlsson needing a new contract next year.) Colorado just has an abundance of quality assets at their disposal to go along two of the top-10 players in the game (I think that Rantanen is that good and MacKinnon is just, well Mackinnon). Overall, I think Makar has been fine given that he's starting his career in the NHL playoffs. He's definitely shown the flashes to be excited about if you're and Avs fan. They also have Conor Timmons who is another top-tier defensive prospect. Girard has been solid for them. I don't expect whoever their 4th overall pick is, is going to be NHL ready next to season but yet they don't really need him to be. Colorado has more than enough prospects/picks/cap space to upgrade from Soderberg to anchor their second line and bring in supplemental scoring. I see them as a bonafide playoff team next year at a minimum since they are going to likely upgrade their roster to support that top-line. Colorado just has such a high ceiling with the pieces that they have and what they could be able to add. 

Okay, I've been rooting for the Hurricanes to get rid of the trashy Capitals from the start but I completely forgot about how much of an armpit stain Justin Williams is. The annoying "blah blah MR GAME 7" narrative that hasn't been relevant since 2014 is already being beaten to death and game 6 literally just ended. Cause y'know, he worked out so well for Washington when they specifically signed him so they could stop blowing game 7s. At least he didn't slewfoot an unsuspecting player who never had a chance to stop the back of his head from hitting the ice I guess. That should always be at least 5 minute major and part of me wants to view it as karmic justice that Ovechkin's (mostly clean?) goal following the PK was taken away when Stephenson only did 2 minutes for that garbage.  It's not a hockey play in any form. 

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

Yeah, but.... they beat Calgary, a Calgary that should have been able to beat them.  Was it a fluke, or do they have a better team than the common opinion belies?

Not to take anything away from the Avs, but maybe Calgary isn't the best measuring stick. They suck. I'm struggling to think of a bigger paper-house cat team that somehow ended up finishing 1st in the western conference since they went to the geographic format. The 2000 St. Louis Blues? I wouldn't pick these Flames over any of the teams that made the playoffs this year honestly. 

39 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Not to take anything away from the Avs, but maybe Calgary isn't the best measuring stick. They suck. I'm struggling to think of a bigger paper-house cat team that somehow ended up finishing 1st in the western conference since they went to the geographic format. The 2000 St. Louis Blues? I wouldn't pick these Flames over any of the teams that made the playoffs this year honestly. 

What was surprising about Calgary losing is that it wasn't goaltending that cost them. Their defense, which is very talented, got absolutely bludgeoned by Colorado, especially the top-line and their 2nd ranked offense went completely dry after Game 1.

Also, we beat Calgary both years that we went to the WCF in 2015 and 2017 lol.

11 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

You're right. There's not much depth but that top line is sick. If you can contain them no problem but if you can't... Was ottawa much more than a top line in 2007? In the end they didn't go all the way but they got close.

Joe Sakic will have a lot of work this summer. Lots of RFA's and UFA's but apart from Rantanen none will get a big payday. If Sakic can make a few good signings I can see the Avs make some noise in The Playoffs next year.

But you're right in saying it can just as easily be the other way around. An injury or downyear from one of their top guys and they're probably in the bottom.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Johnny Gaudreau has no idea how to play in the playoffs.  He gets hit, pushed around, muscled off the puck by the more physical style of play, and then looks around like a sad, lost puppy.  Outside of one game against Vancouver in 2015, he's put up 9 points in 19 games, with no more than one point in any of those games.  

You are right on that point.  I remember when the ducks swept them in the playoffs - Getzlaf took him out in the boards and the coach kept him on the bench for the rest of the game to "protect" his star player...  Awesome.

10 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

You're right. There's not much depth but that top line is sick. If you can contain them no problem but if you can't... Was ottawa much more than a top line in 2007? In the end they didn't go all the way but they got close.

Joe Sakic will have a lot of work this summer. Lots of RFA's and UFA's but apart from Rantanen none will get a big payday. If Sakic can make a few good signings I can see the Avs make some noise in The Playoffs next year.

But you're right in saying it can just as easily be the other way around. An injury or downyear from one of their top guys and they're probably in the bottom.

Ottawa had an elite top line with Alfredsson, Spezza and Heatley, but don't forget that Mike Fisher was their #2C and he finished 3rd in the Selke voting in 2006 and 5th in 2007. They also had solid depth down the middle with Vermette, Comrie, and Chris Kelly. IMO, that Ottawa team was built more like our 2014-15 team that lost in the WCF to Chicago, with Getzlaf's line responsible for the scoring, Kesler's line doing the heavy lifting against the opponents' top lines, and a bunch of kid forwards pitching in where they could (like Beleskey did).

Meanwhile, this current Avs team is built more like the Ducks 2010-11 team, when we had a top line of Bobby-Getz-Pears (at the time, the best line in hockey), but our 2nd line was anchored by a 36-year-old Saku Koivu and we were relying on a top-4 blue line of Lubo-Lydman and Fowler-Beauch. Just like our 2010-11 team, the Avs have a lot of holes to fill before they'll be a consistent threat to win it all.

Also, keep in mind that Ottawa team didn't get past the 1st round for the next five years, and even missed the playoffs twice during that span. They caught lightning in a bottle in 2007 but weren't a deep enough team to stay on top in subsequent seasons.

22 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agree with all of this. Colorado is top-heavy...and still questionable in goal if you ask me. They still haven't really recovered since losing Roy (as a goalie).

10 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

They weren't and they had a hot goalie to make up for it, too. I don't see Colorado's goalies getting hot...I mean, who can really tell. But that's why I don't think they are going to go far. Unless their goalies can stand up...I don't see them getting out of the next round...unless they play the Sharks...'cause the Avs will DESTROY the Sharks...their goalies/D are even worse than Calgary's...

Sooo...so far I completely got the Central wrong...but everything else I've had right...we'll see how these Games 7s go...woo! so many Game 7s!!

Nothing against hoxxey, but the first two posts of this thread are golden. It's amazing how quickly things can turn in the NHL playoffs. Just take Martin Jones, who was atrocious for the Sharks in games 1-4 and then suddenly morphed into JS Giguere (circa 2003) in game 5 & 6. 

I love the NHL playoffs. Even when we aren't in them. 

13 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

What was surprising about Calgary losing is that it wasn't goaltending that cost them. Their defense, which is very talented, got absolutely bludgeoned by Colorado, especially the top-line and their 2nd ranked offense went completely dry after Game 1.

Also, we beat Calgary both years that we went to the WCF in 2015 and 2017 lol.

I was going to say this. I thought that goaltending would be their downfall, but honestly Mike Smith kept them in that series. They were outplayed throughout. Smith saw 205 shots in 5 games! Even including a period of OT, that's an average of almost 13 shots against per period. That's a pretty insane number of shots to allow on a regular basis in the playoffs.

In comparison, St. Louis kept Winnipeg to just 6 shots through the first 2 periods of their Game 6 victory. Lol.