The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dtsdlaw

Bring Back Wild Bill!

Vegas is currently screwed cap-wise. Capfriendly has them already over the $83M limit with Karlsson, Gusev, Nosek and Subban all pending RFAs, and they only have 6 D-men under contract for next season too. Their cap number currently includes David Clarkson's $5.25M for one more season, and he will obviously end up on LTIR, but even removing his $5.25M from their cap number doesn't get them anywhere close to signing everyone. So Vegas is going to have to either move some big pieces to make room, or move a few of those RFAs for picks/prospects.

With that, Karlsson is 26 (turns 27 in January 2020) and will probably never again sniff the 43G season he had in 2017-18, but he's still a very good 2-way center and will probably be a consistent 20-25G / 55-60 point player for the next several years. He has proven he can play head-to-head with the top centers in the NHL, and he also plays FAST, which is exactly what GMBM says he wants from this team. And honestly, how awesome would a Tre Kronor line of Rakell-Karlsson-Silfverberg look right about now?

So if Vegas puts Wild Bill's rights on the trade block, would you bite? And if so, what does it take to get him? I would assume it would be a lot of picks and prospects, with almost no salary going back since Vegas can't really afford to take on salary. So maybe the #9 overall + Lundestrom + 3rd (2020)? I'm totally biting on that. We never should have moved Wild Bill in the first place, and to me that price seems like pittance to bring him back home where he belongs.

Personally, I'd like to see one of the teams that got bent over by GMGM (esp. the Ducks) turn around and offer-sheet Karlsson this summer. An offer sheet up to $6.34M/season would cost a 1st + 3rd at the 2020 draft. Anything over $6.34M costs a 1st+2nd+3rd. If there was ever a time for GMBM  to throw an offer sheet at someone, now is the time. I say, do it to a division rival that screwed us thanks to some really unfair draft rules. And bring back Wild Bill!

11 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't see anything but trouble here.  He's going to want to get paid like a 43-goal scorer, but I see Cheechoo written all over this.  I would consider offersheeting him at less than $5.5 million per year.  I would not give up any other assets for him or pay him more than that.  I don't think he'll have quite the fall Cheechoo did, but he's going to be overpaid maybe as soon as next year and almost assuredly by the year after.

We made the mistake of getting rid of him and lost out on a couple of amazing seasons.  Don't compound the mistake by overpaying for his decline.

oof, the Cheechoo comparison! I'm 99.999% certain that Wild Bill will not be the next Cheechoo for the mere fact that Karlsson was the one driving his line from the center position the past two seasons, not a guy who got rich and famous simply by letting a vintage Joe Thornton (90+ assists in back-to-back seasons!) bounce pucks in off of him.

Given his past as a checking line center in Columbus, I also see Karlsson as a more complete player who would still be able to play an effective lock-down role even if/when his shots aren't going in. So if we're talking, say, a 5-year deal (expiring when he's still only 31 years old) I totally take that risk. I also think Karlsson is a much better and more complete player than Henrique, so if bringing in a 26-year-old Karlsson at $6-6.5M to play the #2C means moving out a 29-year-old Henrique's $5.825M, I'm all for it.

The comparison to Henrique is a good one, but I don’t see any such trade moving forward.  To think, we gave the guy away for next to nothing.

I'd trade and sign for Kaarlson so long as Kaarlson will take a contract in the ballpark of Silfverberg or Henrique. I think he's worth that. If we wants the contract of a 40 goal scorer, no thanks. I agree with the assessment of him being a 20-25 goal and 55-60 points a season player dtsdlaw, and he'd definitely be a good addition if he isn't overpriced.

I'm very high on Lundestrom. I can seriously picture him being a 30-40 point centre capable of controlling the play at both ends of the rink by the time the cost-controlled period of his contract closes out. He's got incredible hockey IQ for a teenager. I have no issue packaging the #9 pick, especially if a player like Karlsson is coming back. I just think moving Lundestrom this early would be repeating the same mistake we made with Karlsson (although to a far less insane degree.. thinking about Wisniewski's two stints here still makes me wanna hurl)