The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
RobD360

Eakins new coach

and there it is... LOL like I said it was always going to be him. Interviewing others was always a sham. 

• Haha 1

I wonder if Dallas Eakins will shock everybody and take the "C" away from Ryan Getzlaf, sort of like it was taken away from Thornton in San Jose. I hope not. However, if that happens, who would you want to be given the "C?" If it's me, I wouldn't mind seeing Cam Fowler with the "C." For one, he is signed long-term and will be here many more years. He is still only 27 years old, and has not reached his prime yet. Also, I do not think I've ever seen him "take a shift off." He always gives 100 percent. I know some folks around here aren't the biggest Cam Fowler fan. Some wouldn't mind to see him traded. For me, though, he deserves the nickname "Mr. Consistent," because he usually is pretty consistent. Plays hard every shift. Never gets too high or too low. Pretty even keel. Chips in with a good goal when we need one. Can run the power play. Good passer. Has improved greatly on defense. And leads by example, with how hard he works, how he trains, etc. Plus, he is one of the best skaters in the NHL. His "speed game" is made for the "New NHL." He also learned from the best, as he had a room with the Niedermeyer's when first breaking in the league.

So, I am hoping Getzlaf keeps the "C." However, if it has to go to somebody else, I hope Fowler gets it. How about you? 

LET'S...GO...DUCKS! 

Edited by duck123

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

and there it is... LOL like I said it was always going to be him. Interviewing others was always a sham. 

Tomorrow it be made official yet I can never stand why interview others for Ducks Head Coaching Position when we know who will be the Ducks 9th Head Coach.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

I wonder if Dallas Eakins will shock everybody and take the "C" away from Ryan Getzlaf, sort of like it was taken away from Thornton in San Jose. I hope not. However, if that happens, who would you want to be given the "C?" If it's me, I wouldn't mind seeing Cam Fowler with the "C." For one, he is signed long-term and will be here many more years. He is still only 27 years old, and has not reached his prime yet. Also, I do not think I've ever seen him "take a shift off." He always gives 100 percent. I know some folks around here aren't the biggest Cam Fowler fan. Some wouldn't mind to see him traded. For me, though, he deserves the nickname "Mr. Consistent," because he usually is pretty consistent. Plays hard every shift. Never gets too high or too low. Pretty even keel. Chips in with a good goal when we need one. Can run the power play. Good passer. Has improved greatly on defense. And leads by example, with how hard he works, how he trains, etc. Plus, he is one of the best skaters in the NHL. His "speed game" is made for the "New NHL." He also learned from the best, as he had a room with the Niedermeyer's when first breaking in the league.

So, I am hoping Getzlaf keeps the "C." However, if it has to go to somebody else, I hope Fowler gets it. How about you? 

LET'S...GO...DUCKS! 

Way to hijack a thread about the new coach in the second post lol. 

I think it's going to be obvious to Eakins pretty quick what a good leader Getzlaf is. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, nieder said:

I think it's going to be obvious to Eakins pretty quick what a good leader Getzlaf is. 

Lol. Hey, it was about a potential new captain too. Ha. Ha. I think you're right though. Getzlaf is a great leader and will likely keep the "C." 

Edited by duck123

Not surprised he's getting hired...also I have no qualms with Bob waiting and talking to other people. I mean, you never know if someone else is gonna impress you or not, and if you're not in a hurry, might as well talk to some people to see if something sticks out that you haven't thought about. I'm sure Eakins was already involved with our draft picks considering he was gonna be coaching them at some point with the Gulls...until tomorrow of course lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, duck123 said:

LET'S...GO...DUCKS! 

Why would he? I'm not sure why there's so much talk about the C being taken from Getz. I'm not sure why anyone would think Fowler would do a better job. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Tomorrow it be made official yet I can never stand why interview others for Ducks Head Coaching Position when we know who will be the Ducks 9th Head Coach.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Maybe BM was interviewing for Eakins replacement in San Diego, assistant coaches, etc.?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Maybe BM was interviewing for Eakins replacement in San Diego, assistant coaches, etc.?

Thought the same thing myself.  Also maybe Eakins wasn’t a slam dunk for the job.....I wish him well.

4 hours ago, nieder said:

Seriously?  He captained two tank jobs where RC gets canned.  At least he seems not to come unsectioned with the refs anymore.  That was a severe leadership shortcoming....Personally, I don’t think he’s a great captain.  Great hockey player though.  Still a 1C after almost 1000 regular season games is an accomplishment.  I’d like to see another captain appointed, but that wont happen.  There are not a great number of options to choose from in replacing him.   Henrique might be a good replacement?  but he could get traded at the draft....

Edited by Fowl

11 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

That could be the possibility why it took so long.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

It's OFFICIAL..Welcome to the Ducks Dallas Eakins...9TH Head Coach in Ducks History.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck
  • Thanks 1

Plot twist, Randy is the new gulls coach....

"We needed someone that would hold everyone accountable. He also has told me that he has adapted to the 'new' ahl. I really believe him this time. ":P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Murray waited to be the last NHL team to pick their coach.

It could only have ever been Eakins, Murray loves the cheap option.

Edited by mulcher

44 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

It's OFFICIAL..Welcome to the Ducks Dallas Eakins...9TH Head Coach in Ducks History.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Why do I wanna say that's a still for a Quentin Tarantino movie?

• Haha 2

I'm not a fan of this decision. I'm not sure who else is available at this point but I think there were better choices available. I don't understand screwing with the success of the  Duck's AHL development system.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fowl said:

Thought the same thing myself.  Also maybe Eakins wasn’t a slam dunk for the job.....I wish him well.

Agreed. I'm open-minded to Eakins' ability to coach this team, but the optics of the whole process sure look bad to me. Eakins was the front-runner and presumed heir-apparent to the job for months, was the owner's preferred candidate (according to Eric Stephens), and he had his formal interview back on June 5th (supposedly the last of GMBM's formal interviews too). Yet it still took almost two weeks to announce him as the choice? Makes me wonder if GMBM doesn't actually have full confidence in this hire and that he is trying to CYA by just going with the "owner's guy" rather than a guy he couldn't convince to come to Anaheim. I also can't help but wonder if some of the other desirable candidates had demands that weren't palatable for GMBM, like wanting to hire their own assistants or wanting to have some say in free agency and personnel decisions. Doubtful that Eakins would make such demands after his last NHL job ended in a total flame out in Edmonton, so this was probably an easy hire too. 

It will also be interesting to see now what happens with the assistants. As of May 30th, Zupke was reporting that Wilford and Morrison were still employed by the team (per a team official). Wilford was an assistant with the Ducks AHL affiliate for seven seasons (including as an assistant to Eakins) before being moved up last year to be RC's assistant, so you'd expect that he either stays with the big club in the same role or goes back to San Diego (maybe even as HC?). However, the Ducks defense was atrocious last season, and you can't help but wonder if some of that stink rubbed off on Wilford. We fans sure thought so before RC was fired. Meanwhile, I don't believe Morrison has any connection to Eakins, so its probably 50/50 whether he comes back.

Anyway, good luck to Dallas Eakins! Anyone is better than Carlyle, but hopefully he can prove he was the best choice over all too.

to be honest...I've always felt that Eakins should have been the head coach for Dallas...seems like a perfect fit... :P

(just like Satan should have been on the Devils, Fowler belongs on the Ducks, Dwight King should have stayed with the Kings, and super confused as to why Nylander isn't with the NYIslanders...)

• Haha 3

Predictable.  Good thing BM is not a Professional Poker Player.  Shocking that he chose the cheapest and easiest option out there.

With a mid 1st Round Pick, and Bob's penchant for getting high priced impact players through Free Agency, I'm sure the Ducks will be a Playoff team again in no time.

16 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Just when I thought the choice of Eakins couldn't have been more predictable lol

Good to see my comments on "hoodwinking" the fans was right on target.

Farce of the century...

What a joke.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

Good to see my comments on "hoodwinking" the fans was right on target.

Farce of the century...

What a joke.

🙄

Kyle Shohara @kyleshohara
Hampus Lindholm is in the house, here for the Eakins introduction. Says he’s excited to get things going with Eakins behind the bench.
Lindholm also says he’s excited about the “new-school” style of hockey Eakins delivers. “We have a lot of young, hungry guys wanting to get better.” (RC Slam?)
  • Like 3

A new era begins.  I wish Eakins well and hope everything falls into place for our Ducks.  I do have reservations about Eakins being successful at the NHL level though.

• Like 1

Dallas Eakins reminds me a lot of Mike Babcock. Both seem to enjoy the psychology behind what makes a player tick. Would not be surprised to see him have similar success that Mike Babcock has had. I know. I know. He stunk in Edmonton. But, wouldn't y'all agree the Oilers are like the Browns used to be in football? The kind of team that even the best coach might not do well with? Oh, and by the way, guess who stunk in his first head coaching job? Which was with the Browns? Bill Belichick. Sometimes, a coach just needs a second chance. Hope Dallas does great this time. And hope we keep Perry. Maybe Dallas can bring the best out of him. 

Edited by duck123
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Good thing BM is not a Professional Poker Player.

He actually wouldn't be that bad of a poker player! Poker is all about patience and not chasing the river when you have nothing *cough cough* Columbus *cough cough* if anything...BM's biggest issue is not being opportunistic and striking when the opportunity comes up. He doesn't seem to go all in...and honestly...2013 - 2017 was a good time to go all in...not just with Kesler but with another big move.

• Like 3