Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Captain Next Year:

Recommended Posts

I wonder if Dallas Eakins will shock everybody and take the "C" away from Ryan Getzlaf, sort of like it was taken away from Joe Thornton in San Jose. I hope not. However, if that happens, who would you want to be given the "C" and made "Captain" of our team this upcoming season? 

If it's me, I wouldn't mind seeing Cam Fowler with the "C." For one, he is signed long-term and will be here many more years. He is still only 27 years old, and has not reached his prime yet. Also, I do not think I've ever seen him "take a shift off." He always gives 100 percent. I know some folks around here aren't the biggest Cam Fowler fans. Some wouldn't mind seeing him traded. For me, though, he deserves the nickname "Mr. Consistent," because he usually is very consistent. Plays hard every shift. Never gets too high or too low. Pretty even keel. Chips in with a good goal when we need one. Can run the power play. Good passer. Has improved greatly on defense. And leads by example, with how hard he works, how he trains, not taking bad penalties, etc.

Further, he is one of the best skaters in the NHL. His "speed game" is made for the "New NHL." He also learned from the best, as he had a room with the Niedermeyer's when first breaking in the league. Plus, although he has a peaceable personality, he is "tough as nails." He had a major jaw injury last year, and seemed to be back after only a few weeks. That's pretty gutsy. He has also overcome other injuries in the past as well, showing his grit and dedication to this team. 

So, I am hoping Getzlaf keeps the "C." However, if it has to go to somebody else, I hope Fowler gets it. How about you? 

LET'S...GO...DUCKS!

Edited by duck123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would even be the point of this though? It's not like we have some younger stud we're symbolically handing the future over to the same way it was back when Getzlaf got named captain. It's literally pointless change for the sake of change. He's not Joe Thornton disappearing nearly every spring, being outplayed by his teammates and taking the fall while his stacked team implodes. He's been both the best performer and leader on the team throughout his tenure. He still is. The team clearly goes as he goes and the last 9 seasons have been the most consistently successful stretch this franchise has had. They haven't won a cup during his tenure but I don't see how anyone can point a finger and blame him seeing as how Silfverberg has been the only guy whose playoff performances even come close to Getzlaf's. Stripping him for Fowler too? Just.. why?

Edited by PetrSykora
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally disagree. Fowler is a soft, injury-prone, zero-intimidating-non-hitting defenceman, whose past season was simply terrible even before he got injured. In some teams he wouldn't make a second pairing. 2 years ago, when he was a potential trade bait, only Detroit and Buffalo offered some meh prospects for him. When you saying that he "has not reached his prime yet", "he always gives 100 percent", "plays hard every shift", "leads by example", and so on, I wonder if you are his PR agent or somehow related to him.

For the time being, let's keep Getzlaf as a captain, at least for the next year.

Edited by FanSince1993
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob also last season called out the defense for no one stepping up to be a leader...so...I'm guessing Fowler isn't exactly the leadership material.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henrique or Silvferberg would be the only two I’d consider.  If Perry doesn’t get moved, I’d add him to the list.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm as big as a Fowler fan boy as you can get, but giving him the "C" over Getzlaf? You're drunk on the Kool-Aid, son.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Fowl said:

Henrique or Silvferberg would be the only two I’d consider.  If Perry doesn’t get moved, I’d add him to the list.

Yes, though I'd take Silf out of the running.  Hank or Corey.  Getz and... Fowler as A's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Fowl said:

Henrique or Silvferberg would be the only two I’d consider.  If Perry doesn’t get moved, I’d add him to the list.

IMO, Silf deserves to get an "A" once Perry is bought out.

From Eric Stephens' piece back in March:

Quote

Murray could have cut bait with Silfverberg now and seen what kind of quality assets he could have procured from another team — most likely a Stanley Cup contender looking to beef up its lineup for a hoped-for lengthy playoff run. He knows his value might have been at a high point now. But he also needs players who still have game who’ll set the example for those trying to break in and stick for good.

“You can’t just go with a bunch of 21-, 22-year-olds,” Murray said. “It’s just like building your minor-league team. You have a whole bunch of kids, but you got to have the quality veterans. It’s not different here. Silvy can play the game, but he’s a role model. He does all the right things guys, on and off the ice. He does all the right things.”

The right things. To Murray, it is having Max Jones and Troy Terry around to see Silfverberg be one of the first players to hit the ice in the mornings and shoot pucks. Or hang around to shoot more when others have left the ice. The work in the gym that he puts in to maintain the sturdy frame that makes him exceedingly tough to knock off the puck. The commitment he makes to both ends of the rink.

“He’s the kind of player I like to have on a hockey team,” Murray said. “He’s a 200-foot player. Doesn’t cheat you in any respect. Competes every night. I’ve been really impressed since I’ve been down — some of the things I wanted to learn down behind the bench. He’s been very impressive with his leadership abilities. Very impressive.”

When Anaheim’s season went totally awry during the horrific 2-15-4 run, Murray pointed to Silfverberg being a player who stepped up amid the nightly disappointments. “He doesn’t like to lose,” the GM said. “He doesn’t accept losing. That’s very concerning to me at this point in time with this hockey team. Silvy doesn’t accept it.”

ps Eakins isn't going to pick the captain. Murray picks the captain. If/when Getzlaf is no longer captain of this team, it will be because Bob Murray told him so.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

IMO, Silf deserves to get an "A" once Perry is bought out.

From Eric Stephens' piece back in March:

ps Eakins isn't going to pick the captains. Murray picks the captains. If/when Getzlaf is no longer captain of this team, it will be because Bob Murray told him so.

what exactly does the coach actually do?

Let's see if I have this right:

1.  No input for assistant coaches

2.  No input for players - in the draft or by trades

3.  No input for captain of the team

4.  No input (or whatever) for special teams (assistant coaches do this right?)

5.  What'd I miss?

 

No wonder GMBM couldn't convince anyone else to come here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

what exactly does the coach actually do?

Let's see if I have this right:

1.  No input for assistant coaches

2.  No input for players - in the draft or by trades

3.  No input for captain of the team

4.  No input (or whatever) for special teams (assistant coaches do this right?)

5.  What'd I miss?

 

No wonder GMBM couldn't convince anyone else to come here...

He designs and installs an overall system, he makes the lineup card for each game, he decides who plays on which forward line or D-pairing, he matches lines during the game according to in-game circumstances, he decides on in-game and between-period strategy tweaks, he runs practices, he does film review, he decides when to skate the team and when to give them rest.

Personally, I think the chef should be able to shop for his own groceries. But just because the restaurant owner doesn't let him shop, it doesn't mean the chef can't still cook a decent meal.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

ps Eakins isn't going to pick the captain. Murray picks the captain. If/when Getzlaf is no longer captain of this team, it will be because Bob Murray told him so.

Didn't the players pick Getzlaf way back? I thought Murray said back then he was letting them pick the C after Scotty retired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

Didn't the players pick Getzlaf way back? I thought Murray said back then he was letting them pick the C after Scotty retired.

My memory is that the organization decided it was time for Getzlaf to be captain and that they then cleared it with the vets like Teemu and Marchant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

My memory is that the organization decided it was time for Getzlaf to be captain and that they then cleared it with the vets like Teemu and Marchant. 

Still think it was too early...Koivu should have been for a few years after Scott's retirement, I think at least. I think Getz could have used a little more mentorship from an experienced captain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

Didn't the players pick Getzlaf way back? I thought Murray said back then he was letting them pick the C after Scotty retired.

Yes. I'm pretty sure they had the players vote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

My memory is that the organization decided it was time for Getzlaf to be captain and that they then cleared it with the vets like Teemu and Marchant. 

My memory has it as a vote, Getzlaf won by a small margin.

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain that was a thing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Still think it was too early...Koivu should have been for a few years after Scott's retirement, I think at least. I think Getz could have used a little more mentorship from an experienced captain.

He has had plenty? The Super Niedermayer Bro's. The two Finnish guys. Pronger (I'm playing loose goosey on that one). And the endless supporting cast of leaders without having a letter like Marchant.

[Edit] I think it was Koivu who came up juuuust behind Getzloaf in voting. He would have been a solid choice too.

Anyway, Getzloaf has always been around quality leaders and to think it didn't reflect on him would be silly.

Edited by poum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, poum said:

He has had plenty? The Super Niedermayer Bro's. The two Finnish guys. Pronger (I'm playing loose goosey on that one). And the endless supporting cast of leaders without having a letter like Marchant.

[Edit] I think it was Koivu who came up juuuust behind Getzloaf in voting. He would have been a solid choice too.

Anyway, Getzloaf has always been around quality leaders and to think it didn't reflect on him would be silly.

ohhh that's fair...he has. true true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getz is totally fine as a captain, though he does have a nasty caveat where he goes overboard when talking to the refs. But a captain who's scary good on the ice and then can punch just about anyone's face in in a scrum? I'm on board with that.

Fowler is quiet and diplomatic *like* Scotty, and all this talk is perhaps about trying to bring the old cool stuff back, but rather than Cam, maybe we should go with someone even younger - from the new SD generation, when Getz' current deal runs out or he follows Perry out of town. Sam Steel the Ducks captain. Duck of Steel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getz until he retires. Then, we'll talk.

As for the A's, no Kes, no Perry. Give 'em to Rico, Silf. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryan Getzlaf will be Ducks Captain for 19-20 season. There will be no change.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 7:47 PM, FanSince1993 said:

Totally disagree. Fowler is a soft, injury-prone, zero-intimidating-non-hitting defenceman, whose past season was simply terrible even before he got injured. In some teams he wouldn't make a second pairing. 2 years ago, when he was a potential trade bait, only Detroit and Buffalo offered some meh prospects for him. When you saying that he "has not reached his prime yet", "he always gives 100 percent", "plays hard every shift", "leads by example", and so on, I wonder if you are his PR agent or somehow related to him.

For the time being, let's keep Getzlaf as a captain, at least for the next year.

Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 9:56 AM, nieder said:

Lol

Sharks. Nashville. Winnipeg Jets. Minnesota. Tampa Bay. LA - maybe, maybe not. I always read your comments, Nieder, and seems like you are a very knowledgeable Ducks fan. I don't understand though why you keep defending him all the time. Again, if he had a 5 year deal with an average salary between $4 to $5 mil per season, I would have nothing against him. But he gets paid to be a leader and I don't see it in him. Indeed, what do you think would be a fair market pay for a defenceman <35 points per season, with career -50 plus/minus ratio?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Sharks. Nashville. Winnipeg Jets. Minnesota. Tampa Bay. LA - maybe, maybe not. I always read your comments, Nieder, and seems like you are a very knowledgeable Ducks fan. I don't understand though why you keep defending him all the time. Again, if he had a 5 year deal with an average salary between $4 to $5 mil per season, I would have nothing against him. But he gets paid to be a leader and I don't see it in him. Indeed, what do you think would be a fair market pay for a defenceman <35 points per season, with career -50 plus/minus ratio?

I'm not seeing it and I'm not even that high on Fowler. He'd be #3/4 at the very least on every one of those teams right now. I have no idea why you're even bringing up LA cause he would easily be the second best defender they have behind the dough boy. Fowler being -50 in his career has a lot more to do with him spending his first years on bad teams glued to absolute pylons like Andy Sutton or Andreas Lilja while getting thrown to the wolves by Carlyle than it does with Fowler being a bad player. He's hasn't been a big minus player since outside of last season when the whole team was straight doo-doo defensively. I can agree with him being a bit of an offensive disappointment who's overpaid ~1 million compared to his peers (won't be for much longer considering the contracts expiring throughout the league in the near future) but that doesn't mean he's trash. At worst Fowler is still a very good second pairing guy who has shown he can eat a ton of minutes on successful teams. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 9:47 PM, FanSince1993 said:

Totally disagree. Fowler is a soft, injury-prone, zero-intimidating-non-hitting defenceman, whose past season was simply terrible even before he got injured. In some teams he wouldn't make a second pairing. 2 years ago, when he was a potential trade bait, only Detroit and Buffalo offered some meh prospects for him. When you saying that he "has not reached his prime yet", "he always gives 100 percent", "plays hard every shift", "leads by example", and so on, I wonder if you are his PR agent or somehow related to him.

For the time being, let's keep Getzlaf as a captain, at least for the next year.

Being the team captain is Leadership and connection to the coach. Not every situation needs to be handled physically. There is a time you elevate the team with a big play or a comment in the dressing room. Witch Fowler is known to use his voice vocabulary.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Joker8 said:

Being the team captain is Leadership and connection to the coach. Not every situation needs to be handled physically. There is a time you elevate the team with a big play or a comment in the dressing room. Witch Fowler is known to use his voice vocabulary.

 

I imagine he was outspoken in Locker Room.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...