The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Well, it's that time of the year where we can be irrationally optimistic as the 2019 Draft kicks off of on Friday. After a season that most of us would like to erase from the hard drive, the Ducks currently have seven picks this year (9th, 29th, 39th, 101st, 132nd, 163rd and 185th). The Ducks do not have a third or seventh round pick, but have two picks in each the first and sixth rounds. So, what are some predictions and opinions as far as who the Ducks will take? As far as needs go, they pretty much need everything with the exception of goaltending. They still aren't deep with center talent, and Getzlaf is slowing down, their once envious defensive depth has been severely depleted and the Ducks need goal scoring, because, well they are very bad at doing that. If available, these are who I hope the Ducks take with their first 4 picks. I need to look a little more in the rounds five and six:

9th - Dylan Cozens (Center; WHL; Lethbridge):  I was surprised to see that a lot of draft boards seem to have him falling as guys like Caufield, Turcotte and Zegras have risen. Also, if Buffalo takes Broberg to pair with Dahlin, it could very well make him available at #9.

29th - Lassi Thomson (RHD - WHL; Kelowna Rockets): The guy sounds like a Vatanen clone, only with a bit more size. Plus, we need a Finn if we want to return to glory.

39th - Samuel Fagemo (LW - Frolunda; Sweden): Because Murray is mandated by law to draft a Swede, not mention he has to justify spending money on scouting overseas. He's an overager, and may mature enough to play and score in San Diego right away.

101st - Case McCarthy (RHD - USNDT): Might fly under the radar a bit because other other very good defensemen in the program. Can be a shutdown type guy if his skating develops.

Let the discussion begin!

• Like 2

Zegras is my top choice at #9, but if he's already gone I'd like to see GMBM move down to select Soderstrom. Maybe Montreal (15) or Colorado (16) would want to jump up to grab Broberg if he's still there at #9 and would be willing to give us some assets to swap picks (Montreal has two 2nds and Colorado has two 1sts, so they may be willing to move picks and prospects to move up). I'm also really hoping GMBM packages either the #29 or #39 with a redundant winger (Ritchie, Sprong) to pick up a young(ish) center. We have assets he can play with and IMO it would make sense to trade some assets for organizational needs that could get the Ducks back to contender status quicker. 

On a side note, I saw a comment from Doug Wilson (on twitter posted by Craig Custance) that there's been more communication between GMs over the past month than he's ever seen since he became a GM. Wouldn't be surprised it this year's draft sees a lot of movement.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

Zegras is my top choice at #9, but if he's already gone I'd like to see GMBM move down to select Soderstrom. Maybe Montreal (15) or Colorado (16) would want to jump up to grab Broberg if he's still there at #9 and would be willing to give us some assets to swap picks (Montreal has two 2nds and Colorado has two 1sts, so they may be willing to move picks and prospects to move up). I'm also really hoping GMBM packages either the #29 or #39 with a redundant winger (Ritchie, Sprong) to pick up a young(ish) center. We have assets he can play with and IMO it would make sense to trade some assets for organizational needs that could get the Ducks back to contender status quicker. 

On a side note, I saw a comment from Doug Wilson (on twitter posted by Craig Custance) that there's been more communication between GMs over the past month than he's ever seen since he became a GM. Wouldn't be surprised it this year's draft sees a lot of movement.

Yeah, I should have said this it assumes the Ducks don't move any of their picks. I think Ritchie and their late 1st are very likely to get moved to make an upgrade like the one you stated. I'll be very surprised if Zegras is available at #9 since most boards and predictions don't have him making it passed Detroit at #6 and that he could go 4th to Colorado. I can't see Murray trading down from #9 when it's the most valuable draft pick he's had since 2012. Doing it and then selecting another Swedish defensemen would likely make my head explode. If anything, I'd rather see him trade up and take a big swing if there is a guy that he's completely sold on. 

Last year's draft was pretty much dead as far as movement, so I hope there are major shakeups to get excited about.

Man....Cozens would be great! I'm really worried about center depth right now...and we need someone who can maybe be the next getzlaf...Cozens and Dach seem to fit the bill from what little research I've done. If Cozens is available that's a great pick! Zegras doesn't seem to be a bad choice either...but I'd love to see Cozens...I think Getz could really mentor him to become a crazy good center. 

45 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Based on your posts and information why aren’t you the GM?? Your takes are on the money...

color me impressed 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

There's a lot to shore up across the board, both long term and short, and there are some teams that are on the cusp of turning a generations long corner.  We've set ourselves up to be a better than average team in 2-3 years, and i think we're willing to trade out some assets to reach that 2nd to 3rd year with a mixture of conservative and wildly speculative bets, without losing long term gems in the ED.  and we're on the lookout for a franchise player or two.   

I think Toronto is going to be interesting to watch.  They are soooo close to a cup winning team.  Players are going to want to play there just to be onboard when they get over the hump.  I'm not sure Toronto has desirable players to come back with... but as long as their contracts expire in 1-2 years, it may not matter that much for a team that would need to be a Cinderella^2 to get past the 2nd round (like us, the kings, others).

I see some multi-season horse trading happening this off season.  Will Boston start to shake things up, or will they just try again with pretty much what they got?  Will Chicago smooth things out?  What the heck are the sharks going to do with all those big contracts?  are the kings done for another 2 seasons?  what the ever loving heck is Ottawa going to do with their dumpster fire?

and i don't think we're necessarily done with coaching changes in the league.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

There's a lot to shore up across the board, both long term and short, and there are some teams that are on the cusp of turning a generations long corner.  We've set ourselves up to be a better than average team in 2-3 years, and i think we're willing to trade out some assets to reach that 2nd to 3rd year with a mixture of conservative and wildly speculative bets, without losing long term gems in the ED.  and we're on the lookout for a franchise player or two.   

I think Toronto is going to be interesting to watch.  They are soooo close to a cup winning team.  Players are going to want to play there just to be onboard when they get over the hump.  I'm not sure Toronto has desirable players to come back with... but as long as their contracts expire in 1-2 years, it may not matter that much for a team that would need to be a Cinderella^2 to get past the 2nd round (like us, the kings, others).

I see some multi-season horse trading happening this off season.  Will Boston start to shake things up, or will they just try again with pretty much what they got?  Will Chicago smooth things out?  What the heck are the sharks going to do with all those big contracts?  are the kings done for another 2 seasons?  what the ever loving heck is Ottawa going to do with their dumpster fire?

and i don't think we're necessarily done with coaching changes in the league.

What a fun post!! I like what you're saying. Ottawa...man...I don't know...they are so far away from being anything...right now their best bet is hope to be lucky...otherwise it's gotta be a sloooooow re-build and they can be in Toronto's shoes in another...5 years or so... 😕 

We REALLY need that franchise player or that franchise core. We could already have it in the system. Like if Lundestrom or Steel or Jones or Terry or someone really gels with Silfv or Rakell or something along with this #9 pick.

Toronto REALLY needs that defense. I can't believe the rumor is they are keeping Gardiner...they need D...but man, they need to get rid of him...he has been...whatever the opposite of clutch is...

Sharks look like they might be OK...their big guys are all signed for a few more years with cap space to spare...

And oh man! The Kings...we'll see who the pick...whoever it is, Kovalchuk will be gone by the time their #5 pick is ready for his raise, so they'll be in good shape in a couple years...even if they DO trade for marleau for some...crazy reason. I think you're right. Another 2 season the Kings will be near the bottom...but be picking up those picks... 😕

And on the coaches thing...well...St. Louis has now solidified the belief that changing a coach mid-season can turn you into a cup team soooo I think even MORE so than usual will we see coaches fired during the season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Based on your posts and information why aren’t you the GM?? Your takes are on the money...

color me impressed 

Not so fast. Once upon a time, I was also in favor of giving Beleskey a 4 x $4M contract with a partial NTC....

Being a GM is way harder than it looks from the comfort of my couch. :lol:

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

I'd love to get my hands on Dach but I think he'll be gone at #9. Same for Hughes, Kakko, Byram and probably Turcotte. It's hard to predict who'll go 5-10. I think it'd be fine with any of Zegras, Cozens,Caufield... Then again I can see BM totally go for Broberg.

No opinion on the later picks. If BM can use them to swing a deal to bring in a #2 Center or top 4 D man I'm all for it.

3 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I'd love to get my hands on Dach but I think he'll be gone at #9. Same for Hughes, Kakko, Byram and probably Turcotte. It's hard to predict who'll go 5-10. I think it'd be fine with any of Zegras, Cozens,Caufield... Then again I can see BM totally go for Broberg.

No opinion on the later picks. If BM can use them to swing a deal to bring in a #2 Center or top 4 D man I'm all for it.

I think we expect Murray to do something.....he knows repeat of 18-19 is unacceptable. What IF Ducks select with their 9th Pick York or Lavoie.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Honestly...I'd be happy with any of these guys for our #9:

Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Zegras, Turcotte, Cozens, Boldy, Dach, or Caufield....

I think...at least...lol

Pass on Caufield. We need to re-stock the cupboards with centers and D-men, not wingers. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Pass on Caufield. We need to re-stock the cupboards with centers and D-men, not wingers. 

I agree we do, but I'd rather get Caufield than a center or D that's listed to draft later...I think. I think I'd prefer that. Caufield I'm on the fence on anyway...give me some Zegras, Turcotte, Coznes or Dach though!!

I'd like a highest ceiling center available the first pick and the best defenseman available with the second pick of the first round.

If we can get a trade for prospect with good odds to be a future 1st line center, I'd trade one of the picks for that. Not a generational talent, but someone who another team might not be willing to wait on the development of.

Edited by Thom-74
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

I'd like a highest ceiling center available the first pick and the best defenseman available with the second pick of the first round.

If we can get a trade for prospect with good odds to be a future 1st line center, I'd trade one of the picks for that. Not a generational talent, but someone who another team might not be willing to wait on the development of.

I agree with the Ducks taking the best center available in the draft. If the Ducks are lucky, either Cozens or hopefully, Dach, will fall to #9, Murray may even take Krebs despite his achilles injury. It's not as though he'll will be NHL for a couple of seasons anyway. My hope is that Buffalo and Edmonton will select Broberg and Caufield, respectively to make that possible. Trading for a center with 1st line potential just doesn't seem likely because I'm not aware of a team that could make a player like that expendable.

If Dach, Cozens or Zegras are gone by #9 that leaves Krebs or maybe Podkolzin. Will Bob pull the trigger on a Russian? Probably not but should he? If Bob keeps the #29 and Lassi Thomson is there, I hope he picks him. Beyond that, I hope there is center that falls through the cracks or another RHD.

I think we already have our long-term "New NHL" #1 center in Sam Steel. He ended last season being our most productive center those last few games, even finishing the season centering our first line with Rakell and Silfverberg. No reason why Steel can't be our long-term center. Maybe future captain. 

Edited by duck123
  • Like 2

Well since no on is doing a Ducks Only Mock Draft...Perhaps I should start here is my Ducks Mock Draft list for I feel are candiates that can fit into our team's system.

Rd1.9th: Raphael Lavoie C

29th:Anttoni Honka D

Rd2.39th:Graeme Clarke RW

Rd3. No selection

Rd4.101st:Maxence Guenette D

Rd5.132nd:Simon Holmstrom RW

Rd6.163rd:Rickard Hugg C

183rd:Brayden Guy LW.

Rd7.No Selection

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I'm reading that Ottawa is shopping Cody Ceci again. What would you all think to this trade - 

Ducks get: Cody Ceci

Sens get: #29 overall + Patrick Eaves + Josh Mahura

Ceci is a big (6'2", 209lbs) RHD who is a decent puck-mover and skater and has a solid shot from the point. IMO he would compliment Fowler very well on a 2nd pairing.

Ottawa lost the #4 overall pick to Colorado in the Duchene trade, but they do have Columbus' #19OA (also due to a Duchene trade) and I'm sure they would LOVE to have another high pick (they also have #32 and #44OA to play with) to help with their rebuild. They also need to add some dead cap money to reach the salary cap floor, and I would hope that Eaves ($3.15M cap hit) wouldn't have them on his NTC list if he knows he is unlikely to ever play again (which sounds like it may be the case), since Ottawa is also the team that drafted him and there could still be some warm feelings there for Eaves too. I don't really want to move Mahura, but we already have Lindholm, Fowler, Guehle, and Larsson on the LHD depth chart ahead of him, but if moving Mahura is what it takes to lock up a top-4 of Lindholm-Manson and Fowler-Ceci for the next several years, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

Edit: On second thought, the #29 + Mahura is too much (especially considering the price tag for Olli Maatta). Maybe either the #29 alone, or a later pick + Mahura?

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I'm reading that Ottawa is shopping Cody Ceci again. What would you all think to this trade - 

Ceci is a big (6'2", 209lbs) RHD who is a decent puck-mover and skater and has a solid shot from the point. IMO he would compliment Fowler very well on a 2nd pairing.

Ottawa lost the #4 overall pick to Colorado in the Duchene trade, but they do have Columbus' #19OA (also due to a Duchene trade) and I'm sure they would LOVE to have another high pick (they also have #32 and #44OA to play with) to help with their rebuild. They also need to add some dead cap money to reach the salary cap floor, and I would hope that Eaves ($3.15M cap hit) wouldn't have them on his NTC list if he knows he is unlikely to ever play again (which sounds like it may be the case), since Ottawa is also the team that drafted him and there could still be some warm feelings there for Eaves too. I don't really want to move Mahura, but we already have Lindholm, Fowler, Guehle, and Larsson on the LHD depth chart ahead of him, but if moving Mahura is what it takes to lock up a top-4 of Lindholm-Manson and Fowler-Ceci for the next several years, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

Edit: On second thought, the #29 + Mahura is too much (especially considering the price tag for Olli Maatta). Maybe either the #29 alone, or a later pick + Mahura?

I would do it for a pick and patrick, but i don't think mahura should go for that.  cody's stats aren't super, he's going to cost $4M apparently (and some kind of multi-year contract, probably 4 year min), and i think mahura is a good sweetener on too many other potential deals for better results.

we do need another solid D man.  perhaps i'm just in a negative mood.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

What about Colin Miller from Vegas? They have cap issues and still need to resign Karlsson. Signed for a reasonable cap hit of ~$4 million for the next 3 years. Is also a right hand D. Based on last seasons stats, Miller has a higher Corsi for percentage (57%) than Ceci (44%). For reference, Guhle had 52%, the highest on the ducks. Conversely, Ceci started more shifts in the defensive zone (55%) than Miller (39%). Both have a similar number of hits (~100+) and take-aways (16ish). Ceci blocks more shots (115 to 60 for Miller) but gives the puck away more (55 to Miller's 35). Ceci averaged a few more minutes (20 to 17 for Miller). Vegas and Ottawa are two very different teams on opposite trajectories so it is hard what to make of these stats. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SelanneFTW_30 said:

What about Colin Miller from Vegas? They have cap issues and still need to resign Karlsson. Signed for a reasonable cap hit of ~$4 million for the next 3 years. Is also a right hand D. Based on last seasons stats, Miller has a higher Corsi for percentage (57%) than Ceci (44%). For reference, Guhle had 52%, the highest on the ducks. Conversely, Ceci started more shifts in the defensive zone (55%) than Miller (39%). Both have a similar number of hits (~100+) and take-aways (16ish). Ceci blocks more shots (115 to 60 for Miller) but gives the puck away more (55 to Miller's 35). Ceci averaged a few more minutes (20 to 17 for Miller). Vegas and Ottawa are two very different teams on opposite trajectories so it is hard what to make of these stats. 

Yes, please. But I don't think Vegas is likely going to trade Miller to a division rival unless its for an overpay.

• Sad 1

Maaaan...I really hope some combo of Caufield, Podkolzin, and/or Boldy gets picked up in the first 8 spots...that would likely leave a really good center for us...I really hope we get one of those top 4 centers...(minus Hughes of course whcih we wont be gettting lol) so, it's likely Hughes, Kakko, and Byram get picked in the first 8....leaving 5 teams and 4 centers...so...we need at least two of those teams to grab a non-center!

If Cozens, Zegras, Turcotte, and Dach are all gone by #9...you better believe we're picking Broberg...I just have this sense Bob would go for it...where as, if Boldy was available, I'd probably prefer him over Broberg right now. Oh, but there is Krebs! Although he seems to be dropping in people's prediction of where he should land. Is that just 'cause of his injury?? That's a weird reason to drop...it's not like his skill will really be hurt in the long term 'cause of it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Maaaan...I really hope some combo of Caufield, Podkolzin, and/or Boldy gets picked up in the first 8 spots...that would likely leave a really good center for us...I really hope we get one of those top 4 centers...(minus Hughes of course whcih we wont be gettting lol) so, it's likely Hughes, Kakko, and Byram get picked in the first 8....leaving 5 teams and 4 centers...so...we need at least two of those teams to grab a non-center!

If Cozens, Zegras, Turcotte, and Dach are all gone by #9...you better believe we're picking Broberg...I just have this sense Bob would go for it...where as, if Boldy was available, I'd probably prefer him over Broberg right now. Oh, but there is Krebs! Although he seems to be dropping in people's prediction of where he should land. Is that just 'cause of his injury?? That's a weird reason to drop...it's not like his skill will really be hurt in the long term 'cause of it.

I was listening to the hockey PDOcast and they think we’d take Boldy #9 and either Buffalo or Edmonton will take Broberg lol. Odds of Zegras, Turcotte or Dach falling to #9 seem non-existen and not looking good for Cozens either the more I’m looking at draft boards. I hope we take Krebs if that’s the case. If Murray drafts Broberg or Soderstrom, I hope he’s fired before we get to our next pick

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I was listening to the hockey PDOcast and they think we’d take Boldy #9 and either Buffalo or Edmonton will take Broberg lol. Odds of Zegras, Turcotte or Dach falling to #9 seem non-existen and not looking good for Cozens either the more I’m looking at draft boards. I hope we take Krebs if that’s the case. If Murray drafts Broberg or Soderstrom, I hope he’s fired before we get to our next pick

Not against Boldy...but starting to think I'd rather have Krebs over Boldy...but totally agree about drafting Brobger or Soderstrom lol

“We’re hoping some guys will go before some other guys,” Murray said of landing a center who is capable of challenging for ice time next season. “We’re hoping for some breaks in there. We’re hoping two defensemen go in the first eight. That would help us tremendously.

“If everyone (on the Ducks’ wish list) is gone, I could move back and get a bunch of other things. We believe in some people later. At nine, if any one of three guys is there we’re going with them. I need somebody to jump in there (in the Ducks’ lineup next season).”

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/06/20/ducks-focusing-on-center-with-no-9-pick-in-nhl-draft/

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

“We’re hoping some guys will go before some other guys,” Murray said of landing a center who is capable of challenging for ice time next season. “We’re hoping for some breaks in there. We’re hoping two defensemen go in the first eight. That would help us tremendously.

“If everyone (on the Ducks’ wish list) is gone, I could move back and get a bunch of other things. We believe in some people later. At nine, if any one of three guys is there we’re going with them. I need somebody to jump in there (in the Ducks’ lineup next season).”

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/06/20/ducks-focusing-on-center-with-no-9-pick-in-nhl-draft/

Because it’s the Ducks, you know that’s exactly what’s going to happen lol. So glad we got those points at the tail end of the season.

Also, I think that Murray is delusional if he thinks he’s drafting a player that will go straight into the Ducks’ lineup next year

• Sad 1

(Does Jedi Mind Trick Wave) New York Rangers, you will trade us your 2nd overall pick, in exchange for future considerations. 

Edited by duck123
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Because it’s the Ducks, you know that’s exactly what’s going to happen lol. So glad we got those points at the tail end of the season.

Also, I think that Murray is delusional if he thinks he’s drafting a player that will go straight into the Ducks’ lineup next year

So we know he won't draft Podkolzin at 9th. If Cozens, Dach, Zegras and Turcotte are gone by 9th his option to drop down would be Lavoie. Or he picks Lavoie at 9th. I just hope it's not another Swede but you know...

1 hour ago, perry_mvp said:

So we know he won't draft Podkolzin at 9th. If Cozens, Dach, Zegras and Turcotte are gone by 9th his option to drop down would be Lavoie. Or he picks Lavoie at 9th. I just hope it's not another Swede but you know...

I think all four of those guys will be gone, which is brutal because I really like Dach and Zegras. If he drafted Lavoie then we’d pretty much be the Halifax Mooseheads since we have Morand and Groulx also lol. He’s listed as a RW and Murray wants a natural center so I don’t think he’d be our guy. We need Buffalo and Edmonton to do help us out. Unfortunately for us, Chiarelli is no longer in Edmonton.

After Hughes and Kakko, My prediction is:

Turcotte - Chicago

Zegras - Colorado

Byram - Los Angeles 

Dach - Detroit 

Buffalo - Broberg

Edmonton - Cozens

Ducks - Krebs

Really hoping Caufield goes in the top-8.