The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
BombaysTripleDeke

2019 NHL Draft

So after Reading lots of articles, watching videos and based on my personal theories on psychology; I’m becoming more appreciative and like Zegras. Heres a article comparing Turcotte and Zegras. Article Ultimately picks Turcotte but personally I’m thinking Zegras is better Only because I value Creativity and play making above goal scoring As there are more goal scorers than great play makers and most agree that he is the best play maker in the draft. In my opinion Lots of Prospect “goal scorers” find that they are unable to score in the NHL against great Dmen and goalies but prospect playmakers on the other hand as good as Zegras usually tend to be successful and continue finding their passes connecting and creating opportunities for goal scorers. Then there is the height and Physicality that Zegras has over Turcotte

In short goal scores are a dime a dozen compared to great play makers and can translate their skill better than a goal scorer. 

https://www.draftgeek.ca/2019/05/06/comparing-alex-turcotte-and-trevor-zegras/

Edited by RobD360

1 minute ago, dukitup said:

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits. In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

but he would be a 3th year pro, if he plays this season... the draft is 21-22... so 19-20 and 20-21...

3 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

So after Reading lots of articles, watching videos and based on my personal theories on psychology; I’m becoming more appreciative and like Zegras. Heres a article comparing Turcotte and Zegras. Article Ultimately picks Turcotte but personally I’m thinking Zegras is better Only because I value Creativity and play making above goal scoring As there are more goal scorers than great play makers and most agree that he is the best play maker in the draft. In my opinion Lots of Prospect “goal scorers” find that they are unable to score in the NHL against great Dmen and goalies but prospect playmakers on the other hand as good as Zegras usually tend to be successful and continue finding their passes connecting and creating opportunities for goal scorers. In short goal scores are a dime a dozen compared to great play makers and can translate their skill better than a goal scorer. 

Then there is the height and Physicality that Zegras has over Turcotte 

https://www.draftgeek.ca/2019/05/06/comparing-alex-turcotte-and-trevor-zegras/

Turcotte was picked from LAK...even if we wanted him...

Zegras is our new Getzlaf...

and Tracey new Perry?

Edited by Spike1981

1 minute ago, Spike1981 said:

but he would be a 3th year pro, if he plays this season... the draft is 21-22... so 19-20 and 20-21...

The draft is BEFORE THE 21-22 season, not after.  Thus, only a 2nd year pro. 

1 minute ago, dukitup said:

I believed 21-22 counts also....

2 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

Turcotte was picked from LAK...even if we wanted him...

Zegras is our new Getzlaf...

and Tracey new Perry?

Honestly it will be extremely difficult to match what Getz Brings to the table he’s just so big and talented, awesome play maker and just tough to play against. Zegras might turn out to be really really good but Getz is a beast who can take over a game on his own. Hopefully Zegras turns out to be be like a Adam Oats type player who was a great playmaker but not nearly as big and intimidating as Getz

5 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

I believed 21-22 counts also....

No it does not. Please. That's why Max Comtois only played 10 games last year with the Ducks. If he had played 11, it would have counted as a full year and he would have to be protected.  Because he only played 10, this year is considered his first year for ED purposes and he doesn't have go be protected. 

Since the ED will be held before the start of the 21-22 season, you can't count that as a season played.

Edited by dukitup
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Honestly it will be extremely difficult to match what Getz Brings to the table he’s just so big and talented, awesome play maker and just tough to play against. Zegras might turn out to be really really good but Getz is a beast who can take over a game on his own. Hopefully Zegras turns out to be be like a Adam Oats type player who was a great playmaker but not nearly as big and intimidating as Getz

Cannot underscore how many times Getz’s intimidation alone has won games for us. He is a bull (mind the pun astrological buffs) in the game. He has the same bully qualities that made Pronger so great. Coupled with his extraordinary skills and he’s just a generational talent. He will be extremely hard to replace. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RobD360 said:

I mean...if we're just hoping for things....I hope Zegras turns into the next Crosby or something lol

Dach is the believed guy to be the "next Getzlaf" ...we got Getz/Perry in 2003 and that basically created our image for the next 15 years...they were big and skilled...so we became big and tough with some skilled guys. This draft COULD be the next 2003...almost all these guys in the first round seem to be projected to be big time guys...and we've got 2 forwards from it...could be the true start (with the Perry buyout) for us to turn the page into a different identity. We'll see what these 2 picks mixed with all of our other younger guys do to help identify what our team will be.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dukitup said:

That's why Max Comtois only played 10 games last year with the Ducks. If he had played 11, it would have counted as a full year and he would have to be protected.  Because he only played 10, this year is considered his first year for ED purposes and he doesn't have go be protected. 

man oh man, I believed over 9 games would be counted as a pro season....

3 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

I thought you were talking about Malcom Subban at first. Maybe Trashville is making room for Perry? 

How much do you think Perry can demand?  

2 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

How much do you think Perry can demand?   

8 mio:)

I believe it would be 2,5-3.0 mio... or he goes for 1 mio/1 year and hope to increase his value the coming season... but he wants to fight for the cup

Edited by Spike1981

Imagine we traded Perry as Toronto with Marleau did.... give a first away... man oh man.

better buy out then lose a first...

oh we picked an other Dmen....

Edited by Spike1981
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

man oh man, I believed over 9 games would be counted as a pro season....

10 games burns a year off of ELC.

1 minute ago, Spike1981 said:

ah yes, the ELC burns, thx for the info

If any of my info is wrong, I'll hear about it.  LOL

RD PICK OVERALL PICK TEAM NAME POS COUNTRY H W AMATEUR LEAGUE AMATEUR TEAM
  1 9 9   Trevor Zegras C USA 6' 0" 173 NTDP USA U-18
  1 29 29   Brayden Tracey L CAN 6' 0" 170 WHL MOOSE JAW
  2 8 39   Jackson Lacombe D USA 6' 2" 187 HIGH-MN SHATTUCK - ST.MARY'S PREP
  4 8 101   Henry Thrun D USA 6' 2" 188 NTDP USA U-18
  5 8 132   Trevor Janicke C USA 5' 10" 190 USHL CENTRAL ILLINOIS
  6 8 163   William Francis D USA 6' 5" 207 USHL Cedar Rapids
  6 31 186   Mathew Hill D CAN 6' 4" 197 OHL Barrie
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:
RD PICK OVERALL PICK TEAM NAME POS COUNTRY H W AMATEUR LEAGUE AMATEUR TEAM
  1 9 9   Trevor Zegras C USA 6' 0" 173 NTDP USA U-18
  1 29 29   Brayden Tracey L CAN 6' 0" 170 WHL MOOSE JAW
  2 8 39   Jackson Lacombe D USA 6' 2" 187 HIGH-MN SHATTUCK - ST.MARY'S PREP
  4 8 101   Henry Thrun D USA 6' 2" 188 NTDP USA U-18
  5 8 132   Trevor Janicke C USA 5' 10" 190 USHL CENTRAL ILLINOIS
  6 8 163   William Francis D USA 6' 5" 207 USHL Cedar Rapids
  6 31 186   Mathew Hill D CAN 6' 4" 197 OHL Barrie

So Far I am very Happy with this year's Ducks Draft Class....as I say Future is Bright and I am glad they address some needs going forward. Also Happy they Drafted Americans from USA NTDP.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

57 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

Imagine we traded Perry as Toronto with Marleau did.... give a first away... man oh man.

better buy out then lose a first...

oh we picked an other Dmen....

To be fair to Toronto, we aren't the ones trying to re-sign a 22 year old 90 point forward. I'm not too sure about the buyout rules but I think it wouldn't impact the cap hit at all when it's a player on a 35+ contract. Marleau's cap hit would still be on the books until it's set to expire even if they aren't paying him the figure anymore. A team like Toronto needs cap space far more than they need actual dollars. It's still a dumb situation they put themselves in by mismanaging the hell out of their cap situation though. 

1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

Not how it works.

4 hours ago, dukitup said:

You are a 3rd year pro the moment your second season ends, no?  

33 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

You are a 3rd year pro the moment your second season ends, no?  

No, it’s based on the NHL calendar not a player’s individual season. The NHL season runs through June 30th, so you’re a 3rd year pro beginning on July 1st. Expansion draft will be in mid-June so they’re still in 2nd NHL season for a few more weeks.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

The Ducks have a pretty good drafting history, and have gone off the board in the past.  The Kings picked before the Ducks 3 consecutive times, so if the Ducks picks do as well as the Kings picks they have done well.

Yeah, I just think LA got really value, especially with Kaliyev and to a lesser extent Fagemo, since those guys fell. Kaliyev has the talent to torture us for the next 10 years to go along with a very good pool of center prospects. I actually like Zegras more than Turcotte though. I agree that we are better than average when it comes to drafting, all things considered.

4 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

To be fair to Toronto, we aren't the ones trying to re-sign a 22 year old 90 point forward. I'm not too sure about the buyout rules but I think it wouldn't impact the cap hit at all when it's a player on a 35+ contract. Marleau's cap hit would still be on the books until it's set to expire even if they aren't paying him the figure anymore. A team like Toronto needs cap space far more than they need actual dollars. It's still a dumb situation they put themselves in by mismanaging the hell out of their cap situation though. 

They were lucky to find a team that would take him AND buy out his contract because the team takes a hit for the FULL amount. PM moved his family back to SJ and put his house in Toronto on the market. Seems like a win-win. IMHO -  and just like Perry he waived his NTC

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DT2008 said:

Anyone else surprised that the Ducks made no trades, etc. during the draft?  Same old, same old

Yes. Surprised and disappointed.

• Like 2