Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
BombaysTripleDeke

2019 NHL Draft

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, I just think LA got really value, especially with Kaliyev and to a lesser extent Fagemo, since those guys fell. Kaliyev has the talent to torture us for the next 10 years to go along with a very good pool of center prospects. I actually like Zegras more than Turcotte though. I agree that we are better than average when it comes to drafting, all things considered.

I think maybe you're expecting a little too much from Kaliyev. Remember a guy named Etem? Big time scorer in juniors. Didn't work out so well for him in the NHL. I think Tracey might be a far reach and could have been picked at 39th. If BM wanted a bit of a far reach for the 29th pick maybe a defenseman like Vlassic or Bolduc. I guess we will see down the road but I think we got the better of the Queens with Zegras over Turcotte.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fisix said:

They went all in. It happens. Not really a mismanagement, more a deliberate choice. 

By mismanaged I mean how Dubas basically threw away the cost controlled period of their core. This should've been their year to make noise. They had glaring holes on their roster they could have fixed instead of playing poker with Nylander for half a season. Marner is the faaaar superior player and it was pretty clear even during Nylander's holdout that it would be a major struggle to keep all 3 of their key RFAs. They shot themselves in the foot by locking up the run away worst of the 3 before the others. Add that to players like Marleau, Kadri (who might be one of the best 3rd line centres in the league but is also allergic to suiting for a playoff game without getting himself kicked out of the series) and Zaitsev (how did he even earn that contract to begin with?) and you've got one ridiculously top heavy team with all the spare dollars wrapped up in players who really shouldn't be part of the long-term plan but apparently are. Imagine if they had built a decent defence around Reilly beyond Muzzin with the dollars they committed long-term to those players. There's a good chance they're the ones playing St. Louis in the finals with the way the east unfolded. They'd still be in some sort of cap hell right now but at least they'd likely have something more to show for it besides another first round exit. Now they have Kapanen (who outplayed Nylander all year) and Johnsson to worry about too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

By mismanaged I mean how Dubas basically threw away the cost controlled period of their core. This should've been their year to make noise. They had glaring holes on their roster they could have fixed instead of playing poker with Nylander for half a season. Marner is the faaaar superior player and it was pretty clear even during Nylander's holdout that it would be a major struggle to keep all 3 of their key RFAs. They shot themselves in the foot by locking up the run away worst of the 3 before the others. Add that to players like Marleau, Kadri (who might be one of the best 3rd line centres in the league but is also allergic to suiting for a playoff game without getting himself kicked out of the series) and Zaitsev (how did he even earn that contract to begin with?) and you've got one ridiculously top heavy team with all the spare dollars wrapped up in players who really shouldn't be part of the long-term plan but apparently are. Imagine if they had built a decent defence around Reilly beyond Muzzin with the dollars they committed long-term to those players. There's a good chance they're the ones playing St. Louis in the finals with the way the east unfolded. They'd still be in some sort of cap hell right now but at least they'd likely have something more to show for it besides another first round exit. Now they have Kapanen (who outplayed Nylander all year) and Johnsson to worry about too.

Spot on! Dubas messed up big time by keeping Nylander when what he actually needed was a defender. This past year they could have had a better fate but didn’t have the best D. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DT2008 said:

Anyone else surprised that the Ducks made no trades, etc. during the draft?  Same old, same old

Yeah, seemed like the most likely chance to do it, but there is still time to make a move. The Hall/Larsson and Subban/Weber trades went down a couple of days after the 2016 draft. I wonder if teams are were cautious due to the uncertainty of the what the salary cap would be but can now calculate for that. If there isn't a trade before free agency starts on July 1st, then I take it as a signal that Murray's not going for a playoff spot and wants the main focus to be on the transition of Eakins and the development of the younger players. I'd bet on the Ducks drafting in the top-10 again next year if that's the case.

1 hour ago, perry_mvp said:

I think maybe you're expecting a little too much from Kaliyev. Remember a guy named Etem? Big time scorer in juniors. Didn't work out so well for him in the NHL. I think Tracey might be a far reach and could have been picked at 39th. If BM wanted a bit of a far reach for the 29th pick maybe a defenseman like Vlassic or Bolduc. I guess we will see down the road but I think we got the better of the Queens with Zegras over Turcotte.

Very true. The NHL is full of players that lit up juniors and could replicate it. From what I've read on Kaliyev, he's got a much more diverse skill set than Etem that he uses to score goals. He's got a better shot but also knows where to be on the ice and when to be there to position himself for scoring opportunities. Etem was a speedster who used that go get an edge on defenders or aggressively forecheck to get on defenders and the puck. Etem didn't pan out, but one thing I didn't know until this year was that his career was seemingly derailed before it really started because Raffi "piece of hot garbage" Torres collided into his knee in the 2013 pre-season and he was never the same after that. So, we didn't get a chance to really see what Etem's full potential was, which is such a disappointment.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Yes. Surprised and disappointed.

I have zero expectations of anything happening.  That way, I am not disappointed.

I'm still wondering where the goals are going to come from.

He let 2 proven goal scorers go by the wayside.

I guess that's not how they did it in Chicago when he was playing so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoxxey said:

I have zero expectations of anything happening.  That way, I am not disappointed.

I'm still wondering where the goals are going to come from.

He let 2 proven goal scorers go by the wayside.

I guess that's not how they did it in Chicago when he was playing so...

Who needs goals?  We're just going to count on Gibson & Miller having Below 2 GAA for the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Aside from Zegras, I think Murray has reached a bit in the subsequent two picks. Especially, Lacombe. LA is having a great draft and I like what Vegas, Philly and Carolina have done so far. 

Tracey was a high riser in this draft by all accounts from what I've read. I think he ended up finishing at #36 on Bob McKenzie's list so it's not a huge reach, and the guys from basically 22-40 are usually interchangeable amongst teams every year. I went back and Steel's ratings were between 23rd and 55th as well when he was selected in a similar spot. I'm good with the pick, minus his name probably won't strike fear into his opponents.

Lacombe was definitely a reach though, and I think that was because of the run of Dmen we saw go in the 1st round and the lack of a 3rd round pick. Interestingly enough, he has a Jake Gardiner comp. Maybe we will trade him to the Leafs down the road.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

Imagine we traded Perry as Toronto with Marleau did.... give a first away... man oh man.

better buy out then lose a first...

 

oh we picked an other Dmen....

Perry's price would have been worse. Marleau only has 1 year left on his deal so that's why Carolina didn't mind taking the Leafs's 1st in the process. Perry with 2 years left probably would have equated to another "Shea Theodore" loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:
RD PICK OVERALL PICK TEAM NAME POS COUNTRY H W AMATEUR LEAGUE AMATEUR TEAM
  1 9 9   Trevor Zegras C USA 6' 0" 173 NTDP USA U-18
  1 29 29   Brayden Tracey L CAN 6' 0" 170 WHL MOOSE JAW
  2 8 39   Jackson Lacombe D USA 6' 2" 187 HIGH-MN SHATTUCK - ST.MARY'S PREP
  4 8 101   Henry Thrun D USA 6' 2" 188 NTDP USA U-18
  5 8 132   Trevor Janicke C USA 5' 10" 190 USHL CENTRAL ILLINOIS
  6 8 163   William Francis D USA 6' 5" 207 USHL Cedar Rapids
  6 31 186   Mathew Hill D CAN 6' 4" 197 OHL Barrie

Guess the European scouts didn't like what they saw this year?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hoxxey said:

I have zero expectations of anything happening.  That way, I am not disappointed.

I'm still wondering where the goals are going to come from.

He let 2 proven goal scorers go by the wayside.

I guess that's not how they did it in Chicago when he was playing so...

Wait until our genius will retire 3 years from now, and Dave Nonis will inherit GM position. Two professional destroyers  will turn our Ducks into NHL doormat.

Edited by FanSince1993

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Wait until our genius will retire 3 years from now, and Dave Nonis will inherit GM position. Two professional destroyers  will turn our Ducks into NHL doormat.

Ouch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DT2008 said:

Anyone else surprised that the Ducks made no trades, etc. during the draft?  Same old, same old

With their picks this year, no.  I was pretty confident they'd use this year to rebuild the pantry a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

How much do you think Perry can demand?  

It depends in term.  If he gets 2-3 years out of some team, it'll cost him and would be $4M.  One year would be over $5M.

Absolute guesses of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Tracey was a high riser in this draft by all accounts from what I've read. I think he ended up finishing at #36 on Bob McKenzie's list so it's not a huge reach, and the guys from basically 22-40 are usually interchangeable amongst teams every year. I went back and Steel's ratings were between 23rd and 55th as well when he was selected in a similar spot. I'm good with the pick, minus his name probably won't strike fear into his opponents.

Lacombe was definitely a reach though, and I think that was because of the run of Dmen we saw go in the 1st round and the lack of a 3rd round pick. Interestingly enough, he has a Jake Gardiner comp. Maybe we will trade him to the Leafs down the road.

I absolutely agree with Tracey. His stock was rising and I'm not mad that the Ducks took him. What struck me is that Kaliyev, by all accounts, is the better goal scoring prospect and carried Hamilton's offense by a wide margin. Murray said that the Ducks needed goals, so it struck me that Kaliyev wasn't our pick. I certainly didn't expect him to be available so late. The question people brought up with Tracey is how much of his success is due to him playing on a line with the 2nd and 3rd top scorers in the entire WHL and if he can still produce away from those guys. Both of his line mates won't be in the WHL next year, so I'm really looking forward to see how he fares. With Kaliyev going to LA, we'll find out first-hand how the pick turned out lol.

The more I see the draft board and read about Lacombe, the more I agree with you and everyone saying what a serious reach he was. It seems very out of character for Murray to do that with a defensemen, especially that high. I'm pretty nervous about that pick but drafting defensemen is something that I will give Murray and our scouting department the benefit of the doubt on.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gotchabari said:

It depends in term.  If he gets 2-3 years out of some team, it'll cost him and would be $4M.  One year would be over $5M.

Absolute guesses of course. 

Much prefer Perry to be in the East then the West....Just my view of course.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Wait until our genius will retire 3 years from now, and Dave Nonis will inherit GM position. Two professional destroyers  will turn our Ducks into NHL doormat.

Yeah I'm not exactly sure how Dave "I signed David Clarkson" Nonis ended up with the big promotion to assistant GM following the last two trainwreck seasons but this team is still in pretty good shape going forward. Let's see how some of these kids turn out before we begin catastrophizing our future. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This season i think we take an other top 10 pick. Thats ok, so we can draft an other elite player. And I would trade some other picks because of rebuilding and dont let Seattle take a good player. 

I like what Carolina do. They have this and next draft a lot of picks and were this year already in CF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Yeah I'm not exactly sure how Dave "I signed David Clarkson" Nonis ended up with the big promotion to assistant GM following the last two trainwreck seasons but this team is still in pretty good shape going forward. Let's see how some of these kids turn out before we begin catastrophizing our future. 

Yeah, that's a huge red flag to me.  We'll see how this summer goes, and how Eakins does, but I think Murray has two years left unless the Ducks make a deep run.  And I think it's probably about time.  But even as Murray has lost fastball, I'd take him any day of the week over Dave Nonis.  If Nonis is the GM in waiting, we could be looking at a protracted period of futility for the franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 10:06 PM, DT2008 said:

Anyone else surprised that the Ducks made no trades, etc. during the draft?  Same old, same old

Interesting tidbit in Eric Stephens’ latest piece for the Athletic that the Ducks had a deal in place with Dallas to move up to get the #18 pick (presumably giving the #29 & #39) to get Krebs, but Vegas killed the deal by taking Krebs at #17.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Interesting tidbit in Eric Stephens’ latest piece for the Athletic that the Ducks had a deal in place with Dallas to move up to get the #18 pick (presumably giving the #29 & #39) to get Krebs, but Vegas killed the deal by taking Krebs at #17.

that would have been a blockbuster trade. And I‘m wonering, who they would trade for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Interesting tidbit in Eric Stephens’ latest piece for the Athletic that the Ducks had a deal in place with Dallas to move up to get the #18 pick (presumably giving the #29 & #39) to get Krebs, but Vegas killed the deal by taking Krebs at #17.

Interesting you gotta wonder what deals were also in place by the Ducks at the Draft.

DuckPride4 ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Interesting tidbit in Eric Stephens’ latest piece for the Athletic that the Ducks had a deal in place with Dallas to move up to get the #18 pick (presumably giving the #29 & #39) to get Krebs, but Vegas killed the deal by taking Krebs at #17.

hmmm very interesting indeed....

will be keeping a close look at Krebs, Tracey, and Lacombe....

But I do think Bob drafts well...and if they were trying to move up to get Krebs...that really means something. The story goes in 2003 they did the same after they got Getzlaf to move up to take Perry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

hmmm very interesting indeed....

will be keeping a close look at Krebs, Tracey, and Lacombe....

But I do think Bob drafts well...and if they were trying to move up to get Krebs...that really means something. The story goes in 2003 they did the same after they got Getzlaf to move up to take Perry.

It seems it was some like 29th and 39th vs 18th... but they only asked Dallas or what?

Florida would be the right team because they took Knight and he could still be on the board as no 29... 

unfortunately we don’t have Krebs now. How much we were so short by making so a big move in the past?

Now I hope they don’t take an good UFA. I think is too early with this team, better 2-3 seasons top 10 draft picks, trade away some players for 1-2 rounder and take some elite players at the drafts and go for the cup after Seattle, when everybody lost a player and we give them a traded draft pick and Kesler. 

Edited by Spike1981
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

It seems it was some like 29th and 39th vs 18th... but they only asked Dallas or what?

Florida would be the right team because they took Knight and he could still be on the board as no 29... 

unfortunately we don’t have Krebs now. How much we were so short by making so a big move in the past?

Now I hope they don’t take an good UFA. I think is too early with this team, better 2-3 seasons top 10 draft picks, trade away some players for 1-2 rounder and take some elite players at the drafts and go for the cup after Seattle, when everybody lost a player and we give them a traded draft pick and Kesler. 

We got Kesler too late 😕

But I was thinking the EXACT same thing...unless we're getting some young guy that's gonna be part of our core...I don't see any big trade for some big name or a big signing being useful at all. 

Having said that...I will say that I feel we are a team that can always be dangerous in the playoffs...while not ALWAYS true in practice, with Gibson/Miller as our goalie....they have the ability to steal series. Imagine if that crazy good run we had in November/December happened in the playoffs? As long as teams have capable, good goalies...they always have the potential for a deep run.

We already have the hardest thing to get and is often the missing piece...I just see a ton of a teams that are on the cusp, but just are missing that true, clutch goalie. For example...for St. Louis...replace Binnington with Allen...they probably don't even make the playoffs.

Edited by Jasoaks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

Florida would be the right team because they took Knight and he could still be on the board as no 29... 

...a bit sad Vegas didn't take Knight :( ... for the obvious reason.... ;) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

We got Kesler too late 😕

But I was thinking the EXACT same thing...unless we're getting some young guy that's gonna be part of our core...I don't see any big trade for some big name or a big signing being useful at all. 

Having said that...I will say that I feel we are a team that can always be dangerous in the playoffs...while not ALWAYS true in practice, with Gibson/Miller as our goalie....they have the ability to steal series. Imagine if that crazy good run we had in November/December happened in the playoffs? As long as teams have capable, good goalies...they always have the potential for a deep run.

We already have the hardest thing to get and is often the missing piece...I just see a ton of a teams that are on the cusp, but just are missing that true, clutch goalie. For example...for St. Louis...replace Binnington with Allen...they probably don't even make the playoffs.

But on the other hand our goalies are not getting any younger. Miller definitely won't be around in two years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, g20topdogg said:

But on the other hand our goalies are not getting any younger. Miller definitely won't be around in two years. 

Correct. I mean, I'm saying that this past season and next season...who knows what could/would happen if we make the playoffs. We have the most important piece that's all you really need to make a surprise deep run: 2 great goalies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playoffs? It depends what the young core are... if Steel, Jones, Terry, Lundestrom, Comtois, Larsson make their steps... but I don’t believe that it will be enough to make a deep run, we are the last team on scoring. Gibson we have for 8 years, and normally a goaltender has his best years about the 30ys. So we have some years time to rebuild with Gibson. Of course not with Miller (I was surprised that he signed again and not with a cup contender)

Edited by Spike1981

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

Playoffs? It depends what the young core are... if Steel, Jones, Terry, Lundestrom, Comtois, Larsson make their steps... but I don’t believe that it will be enough to make a deep run, we are the last team on scoring. Gibson we have for 8 years, and normally a goaltender has his best years about the 30ys. So we have some years time to rebuild with Gibson. Of course not with Miller (I was surprised that he signed again and not with a cup contender)

See I just disagree...we only need to score 1 to 2 goals if we have Gibson/Miller performing lights out. And then once you get to the WCF...the adrenaline of being so close to the finals will just take your players to another level and Gibson/Miller make up for all short comings! They CAN do it. While unlikely...all I'm saying is a hot goalie during the playoffs can be ALL you need (along with competent -- not amazing or great -- players).

But anyway, that's just me being hopeful. I am also surprised Miller signed with us, while also surprised he didn't want to be traded last trade deadline....but to me it seems like he just wants to stay in Socal and has decided it's more important to be home with his family when he's not traveling for away games. That's a big decision to make. Giving up his dream of a Stanley Cup to be with his family. I admire that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...