The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

#NHLDucks are in the process of finalizing paperwork to buy out Corey Perry this morning. Perry is not expected to be placed on waivers, by virtue of his no-move clause. Big name for the #FreeAgentFrenzy list. #TSN

Ducks only had 4-6 teams to work with trade-wise as per Perry’s list - he had a full no-move. Anaheim couldn’t find a trade partner so buyout it is.

• Sad 3

Saw this on TSN just a minute ago.  I think it’s another fool move.   I hope Perry goes somewhere and tears it up.  Not to mention, he is a free agent now and can pick where he wants to go.  Hopefully, it works out for him.  

• Like 1

This, on an emotional level, feels the same as the day when Giguere got traded. This makes me sad. And also makes me sad that he'll be on another team potentially...I know a lot of people on here will be thrilled (and of course still thanking perry for what he has done!), but I'm just not...I guess as the days and months and years go on I'll be more ok with it. But...not right now.

this is truly the end of an era. An era that started in 2005...14 years ago...we will now be...without Corey Perry on our team.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

26 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

#NHLDucks are in the process of finalizing paperwork to buy out Corey Perry this morning. Perry is not expected to be placed on waivers, by virtue of his no-move clause. Big name for the #FreeAgentFrenzy list. #TSN

Ducks only had 4-6 teams to work with trade-wise as per Perry’s list - he had a full no-move. Anaheim couldn’t find a trade partner so buyout it is.

The buyout works in Perry’s favor.  If I were him, I would have outright refused a trade, and pushed them to either keeping me no or forcing the buyout option.  It’s a business on the player side too.  I think he makes more salary this way and controls where he wants to sign.  I wish Perry nothing but the best.  

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Fowl said:

The buyout works in Perry’s favor.  If I were him, I would have outright refused a trade, and pushed them to either keeping me no or forcing the buyout option.  It’s a business on the player side too.  I think he makes more salary this way and controls where he wants to sign.  I wish Perry nothing but the best.  

Nailed it. Sad to see a franchise icon move on, but I don't think watching Perry get 4th line minutes for the next two seasons would have been much fun for the fans or for Perry either. Hopefully he finds a good situation with a team who needs his skill set in a top-6 role. Buffalo still makes the most sense to me. It would be cool to see him get a shot on a Skinner-Eichel-Perry line. Regardless, this move is the best for Pears. We'll see him again for the jersey retirement ceremony. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Nailed it. Sad to see a franchise icon move on, but I don't think watching Perry get 4th line minutes for the next two seasons would have been much fun for the fans or for Perry either. Hopefully he finds a good situation with a team who needs his skill set in a top-6 role. Buffalo still makes the most sense to me. It would be cool to see him get a shot on a Skinner-Eichel-Perry line. Regardless, this move is the best for Pears. We'll see him again for the jersey retirement ceremony. 

Actually, I thought his 4th line minutes were great.  He played better against slightly lesser defense, and the 4th line overall played more time, which helped all the other lines from getting overworked.

• Like 2

Best news this off-season IMO. There was no way in hell another team was going to trade for that contract. Im actually quite shocked that the Samueli's ponied up the cash to speed up the process to open the cup window. It was either going to be a buyout or an excruciating two more years of watching a washed up Perry on the ice or more likely in the press box. 

• Like 1

Bob Murray: This is one of the most difficult decisions I’ve had to make in my 44 years in the NHL. Corey gave everything to this franchise for 14 years, never giving an inch to his competitors. While his scoring touch is undeniable, his will to win became his greatest attribute.

• Like 1

@capfriendly

With the #Ducks planning to buyout Corey Perry's contract per @frank_seravalli, the buyout cap hits over the next 4 seasons would be as follows:

2019-20: $2,625,000

2020-21: $6,625,000*

2021-22: $2,000,000

2022-23: $2,000,000

*only a $2M difference in Y2

capfriendly.com/buyout-calcula…

A Corey Perry buyout will save the Anaheim #Ducks $6M in cap space (a reduction from $8.625 to $2.625)

The #Ducks will have $15.125M in cap space after the buyout has been finalized [This assumes the upper limit is $83M] with a roster of 17 (12F 4D 2G)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DuckFan4Life said:

@capfriendly

With the #Ducks planning to buyout Corey Perry's contract per @frank_seravalli, the buyout cap hits over the next 4 seasons would be as follows:

2019-20: $2,625,000

2020-21: $6,625,000*

2021-22: $2,000,000

2022-23: $2,000,000

*only a $2M difference in Y2

capfriendly.com/buyout-calcula…

A Corey Perry buyout will save the Anaheim #Ducks $6M in cap space (a reduction from $8.625 to $2.625)

The #Ducks will have $15.125M in cap space after the buyout has been finalized [This assumes the upper limit is $83M] with a roster of 17 (12F 4D 2G) 

15,125 M plus 6 mio from Kesler (LTIR) or not?

Edited by Spike1981

5 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

Best of luck to Perry. The contract was the problem, not the player.  

How many times is Bob gonna clumsily fix his own wrongoings. Granted, Perry deserved that deal when it was signed, Stanley Cups and MVP seasons are worth it, and few people expected him to go downhill that fast, but...

I'm shocked. Genuinely shocked at this news. There were rumores about this, but I never believed them. After the knee surgery - I wanted him to go another full year and pull a Selanne... a sad day. I liked Perry a lot and wouldn't mind him to re-sign for less or join the Ducks later on a retirement deal a few years from now. This is...just the worst case scenario for the Perry contract. Ugh.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Thats what I have been thinking, I don't understand this idea that the Ducks are disrespecting Perry with a buy out. If anything they are doing him a favor and bought him out of respect, the popular rumor was Ottawa, the Ducks did him a favor lol.

5 minutes ago, Retire9 said:

Thats what I have been thinking, I don't understand this idea that the Ducks are disrespecting Perry with a buy out. If anything they are doing him a favor and bought him out of respect, the popular rumor was Ottawa, the Ducks did him a favor lol.

Man, really? The rumor was he was going to get traded to Ottawa?! First off I can't see how Perry would want that...and 2nd...what is wrong with Ottawa?! They want to rebuild, not take on expiring veterans! What a weird move that would be for Ottawa...if Ottawa made that trade...I just...they should be stripped of being a team lol

13 minutes ago, Aksun said:

How many times is Bob gonna clumsily fix his own wrongoings. Granted, Perry deserved that deal when it was signed, Stanley Cups and MVP seasons are worth it, and few people expected him to go downhill that fast, but...

This is the kind of sentence that I simply can't understand on this board.  We take both sides all the time.

This starts with an accusation of it being a wrongdoing, then follows up with the precise description of why it wasn't and why every GM would have made this deal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gotchabari said:

This is the kind of sentence that I simply can't understand on this board.  We take both sides all the time.

This starts with an accusation of it being a wrongdoing, then follows up with the precise description of why it wasn't and why every GM would have made this deal.

I admit, i wrote up nonsense, but I'm shocked at the news and my head's not right atm. Maybe in a few hours I'll be happy he's going to Toronto or Buffalol. Ottawa will burn for a week if their GM brings in another washed up Ducks RW for $$$.

8 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Man, really? The rumor was he was going to get traded to Ottawa?! First off I can't see how Perry would want that...and 2nd...what is wrong with Ottawa?! They want to rebuild, not take on expiring veterans! What a weird move that would be for Ottawa...if Ottawa made that trade...I just...they should be stripped of being a team lol

It was simply a cap thing, Ottawa needs contracts to meet the cap floor that was the match between the two. Exactly he wouldn't want that, thats where the buy out for him comes into play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

To me...that's a step in the right direction. Before, that used to not even be included! at least now it is :) 

• Like 1

I’m good with this. We need space for the young players and he was wayyy to expense to keep on 3rd or 4th. Bob wants to keep his good young players and not lose them because he couldn’t find space for them. This move had to be made. 

• Like 2

This stings. I'll always have a soft spot for Perry. I hope he can still play, doesn't go to a lousy team and make the best of it. Hopefully no bridges are burned and we can retire his number one day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ducks07 said:

Best news this off-season IMO. There was no way in hell another team was going to trade for that contract. Im actually quite shocked that the Samueli's ponied up the cash to speed up the process to open the cup window. It was either going to be a buyout or an excruciating two more years of watching a washed up Perry on the ice or more likely in the press box. 

He's not washed up. He's just not able to play up to the contract anymore. He had over 50 pts two years ago. Last year he was out most of the year and was trying to catch up to everyone else who were already playing at full speed. But to say that he's washed up is really naive. Heatley, who Bob picked up was washed up. Perry is not at that point yet. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

He's not washed up. He's just not able to play up to the contract anymore. He had over 50 pts two years ago. Last year he was out most of the year and was trying to catch up to everyone else who were already playing at full speed. But to say that he's washed up is really naive. Heatley, who Bob picked up was washed up. Perry is not at that point yet. 

He's not...I agree. But 10 points in 31 games isn't great...but that was a bad season for everyone...and he's literally just 1 year removed from 49 points in 71 games which isn't that bad! But like you said, he's not living up to his contract price. But I assume Bob and the staff really took all of this into consideration...and thought very long and hard about it...and probably had conversations with Perry and Getzlaf.

10 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

It's possible he could be. His stats declined big time even before he got hurt.