The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

2 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Actually, I thought his 4th line minutes were great.  He played better against slightly lesser defense, and the 4th line overall played more time, which helped all the other lines from getting overworked.

It's not about whether he CAN play 4th line minutes, its about whether he wants to play 4th line minutes and whether that's how the fans want to see him go out. Fisix nails it here:

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

For me, this all hearkens back to that radio interview with Corey just after he came back from his knee surgery in the latter part of last season.  I remember the radio broadcasters asking him about his "new role" on the team (hinting that he was past his prime, taking a support role), and Corey being audible taken aback... surprised, unhappily so.  If you can find that radio interview, definitely listen to it.  I think with this new info, Corey might have felt sucker punched at that point.  I hope not.

Perry still thinks he's the second best player on this team. He's not, and it never goes well when a player who thinks he's better than he is does not get to play as much as he thinks he deserves. Remember Selanne's very public tongue-lashing of Boudreau for taking him off the #1 PP unit during his final season? Everyone but Teemu knew he didn't belong there any more, and it was a rough exclamation point on an otherwise incredible career. As a fan, I don't want to see Perry go down that same path of resentment due to a diminished role.

• Like 5

That really sucks. And makes me nervous because the FA crop isn't that impressive other than the top fish, which I know we won't be in on.

Edited by BlazingEtem
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ducks07 said:

Best news this off-season IMO. There was no way in hell another team was going to trade for that contract. Im actually quite shocked that the Samueli's ponied up the cash to speed up the process to open the cup window. It was either going to be a buyout or an excruciating two more years of watching a washed up Perry on the ice or more likely in the press box. 

Really? The Ducks buying out Perry is the best news you have seen so far? That's pretty depressing considering a lot has happened around it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well Guess it's official...Saw the news on my way to work. Sad to see him go but it was necessary for the Ducks in Long Run and "Ducks Cause". First wanna say Thank you Corey Perry for Contributions to Anaheim Ducks and dazzling us with your talents from being Superpest to 50Goal scorer..Thank you for putting in effort in Contributing to the Ducks winning their First Stanley Cup and multiple Stanley Cup Playoff berths. Thank You for being first to Win Hart Memorial Trophy Winner,Winning World Hockey Gold and of course scoring important goals in Ducks History....even you may be moving forward you are a Duck....Thank You.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Really? The Ducks buying out Perry is the best news you have seen so far? That's pretty depressing considering a lot has happened around it.

concerning the Ducks...yes.

• Like 1

I hope he ends up out east in Toronto with a legit shot at another championship. He's still getting paid either way so signing short-term for below his actual value to end up on a winning team is a possibility. Of course with his injuries it would also be a smart move to maximize his value by going somewhere that can offer him more money in the long run. I can see him suiting up for the Panthers next season. So long as it's not Calgary or some other pesky western conference contender. I'm never going to hate Perry but I'd prefer for him to go to a team where we don't have to face his antics several times a year. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

I hope he ends up out east in Toronto with a legit shot at another championship. He's still getting paid either way so signing short-term for below his actual value to end up on a winning team is a possibility. Of course with his injuries it would also be a smart move to maximize his value by going somewhere that can offer him more money in the long run. I can see him suiting up for the Panthers next season. So long as it's not Calgary or some other pesky western conference contender. I'm never going to hate Perry but I'd prefer for him to go to a team where we don't have to face his antics several times a year. 

Can’t help but wonder what the reaction from Ducks fans will be the first time he “accidentally” falls on Gibby’s leg. :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

8 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Can’t help but wonder what the reaction from Ducks fans will be the first time he “accidentally” falls on Gibby’s leg. :ph34r:

They ink on the buyout deal is still fresh and you're already discussing his opposition-agitation talents!!! Blasphemy!!!

1 minute ago, Aksun said:

They ink on the buyout deal is still fresh and you're already discussing his opposition-agitation talents!!! Blasphemy!!!

Too soon to think what Perry would do.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

30 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

but I'd prefer for him to go to a team where we don't have to face his antics several times a year. 

agreeeeed. but man...I can't imagine he'd be the same against us as he was with us but against other teams...even Pronger said he felt different playing the Ducks after he got traded...wasn't his usual rough and tough guy.

...can you imagine a Getz/Perry fight???? ugh....it sickens me to think of it...hopefully he goes out East...I'd love to see him with Toronto

I hope this week works out for Murray, a cheap option in Eakins and saving money on Perry.

Make good on how your spending the cash Murray or if it doesn't work out you might be the next one out the door.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

they're LTIR fodder for now.  Room to purchase whatever we want, if we're willing to spend.  

Makes you wonder who the Ducks will Trade or sign for....anything can happen.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I don't agree with this decision. Corey Perry looked faster than he had in years when he returned from injury. With a full season, he might be back to his scoring ways. If Patrick Maroon can win a Stanley Cup with the Blues--and Maroon certainly is not faster nor more skilled than Perry--than some team certainly will be able to get a productive season out of Perry. Just imagine if he goes to the Blackhawks and gets to play on a line with Kane. Or if he goes to the Oilers and ends up on a line with McDavid. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Perry score at least 30 goals next season and win a Cup elsewhere. Hopefully it's our team though hoisting a Cup next season. I appreciate all Perry did for our team, and wish him nothing but the best wherever he signs next. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

I don't agree with this decision. Corey Perry looked faster than he had in years when he returned from injury. With a full season, he might be back to his scoring ways. If Patrick Maroon can win a Stanley Cup with the Blues--and Maroon certainly is not faster nor more skilled than Perry--than some team certainly will be able to get a productive season out of Perry. Just imagine if he goes to the Blackhawks and gets to play on a line with Kane. Or if he goes to the Oilers and ends up on a line with McDavid. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Perry score at least 30 goals next season and win a Cup elsewhere. Hopefully it's our team though hoisting a Cup next season. I appreciate all Perry did for our team, and wish him nothing but the best wherever he signs next. 

Ok. So which young stud player would you be willing to burying at the 3-4 lines and possibly lose with the Seattle draft at the expense of keeping Perry? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

I'm sure Bob thought all of this through...you don't make a decision like this on a whim. I would be surprised if he didn't consult with other staff and probably Getzlaf, too. I'm sure medical staff was involved, too. And my guess is Perry, too, was talked with. As someone else pointed out, this probably mostly just came down to for what he was being paid, he wasn't producing at the level he should be...and we need that money to bring in more scoring to a different type of team we're going to be. You don't BUYOUT the co-face of the team the past 14 years without thinking a bit about it...

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Ok. So which young stud player would you be willing to burying at the 3-4 lines and possibly lose with the Seattle draft at the expense of keeping Perry? 

The expansion draft happens June 2021. Perry's contract would have ended in the 20-21 season. This buyout may have a shorter term than say a Kesler buyout but the second year of the Perry buyout has a cap hit of $6.25M according to capgeek while say a Kesler buyout would have roughly have an average $2.3M until it was completed. Roster spot wise, I don't think Perry put a hamper on anything. 

On how the buyout affects his (GMBM's) plans for the upcoming years
You can't go jumping into any long-term deal right now. The further issue is, when we get the cap number tomorrow at the [general managers] meetings, we're going to know that stuff and be where we thought it was going to be. A lot of us are going to be scratching our heads as to what we can do. Some teams are in worst shape than we are. One-year deals always work. We're going to try to surround this young group with a little more oomph. We're trying to do that, but I don't know if we can. I'm going to protect them a little bit, and let them grow.

Bob didn't appear to be too worried with that with the Henrique and Fowler deals and to a lesser extent, Silfverberg. 

I think this is the first time in a long while that the Ducks have several AHL/NHL players. Etem and Smith-Pelley were busts but it seems Terry, Steel, and Jones are very close to NHL players. Comtois, Sherwood, and Roy could fight for 4th line spots. In addition, Kase should be back. This isn't just about CAP space, I believe it's as much about roster space. 

• Like 3

Ducks Executive Vice President and General Manager Bob Murray today spoke with members of the media about his decision to buy out Perry's contract.

On buying out Perry's contract
It's one of the toughest things I've done. It's tough. The guy epitomized what we've been for the last 14 years. I procrastinated forever, but as we turn the corner with this team, it's the best thing for us and for him. I know in my heart it was best.

On how Perry handled the news
It's not easy. I've talked to him a few times. This isn't fun for anybody. His agents have been great with this - Mark Guy and Patrick Morris. They've been outstanding in this process, and I thank them for that. I talked to Perry yesterday. I firmly believe he can be the cherry on the ice cream sundae that puts a team that's close over the top because of his competitiveness and willingness to do whatever to win. I still think he can do it, and I'm hoping he does.

On Perry's uniqueness
With Corey, it's the intangibles. It's always been, and always will be. It's just the intangibles he brings. He's had a great career. Look at his accomplishments. You can't win much more than what he's done.

On if Perry's physical style of play started taking its toll
The last few you could see it was starting to wear on him, if you know what I'm saying. It was tougher and tougher for him to get into the tough areas and stay in the tough areas. He was willing to do anything to win a hockey game. He's the ultimate rink rat guy that wants to be there and be a part of it. It's taken its toll. I think last year was somewhat good for him. Don't take this the wrong way, but it was somewhat good for him to get a break. His body got to rest and heal up. That knee [issue] was there before. The way it happened, it doesn't happen if something wasn't wrong before that. He put his body through a lot, that's for sure.

On if he got the sense a trade wasn't going to be an option
As it went along, I got that sense big time. I wasn't going to take back something that would get in the way of some of our kids. I wasn't going to do that. We tried. They were really helpful in that area, but it wasn't going to happen.

On how the buyout affects financial flexibility
A little help this year, cap-wise, next year is a bad year, cap-wise, with the way the buyout works. We're turning the page. Hopefully some young people get into that situation that Corey was in. You hope somebody sort of develops half as good as Corey did.

On how the buyout affects his plans for the upcoming years
You can't go jumping into any long-term deal right now. The further issue is, when we get the cap number tomorrow at the [general managers] meetings, we're going to know that stuff and be where we thought it was going to be. A lot of us are going to be scratching our heads as to what we can do. Some teams are in worst shape than we are. One-year deals always work. We're going to try to surround this young group with a little more oomph. We're trying to do that, but I don't know if we can. I'm going to protect them a little bit, and let them grow.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

The expansion draft happens June 2021. Perry's contract would have ended in the 20-21 season. This buyout may have a shorter term than say a Kesler buyout but the second year of the Perry buyout has a cap hit of $6.25M according to capgeek while say a Kesler buyout would have roughly have an average $2.3M until it was completed. Roster spot wise, I don't think Perry put a hamper on anything. 

On how the buyout affects his (GMBM's) plans for the upcoming years

Bob didn't appear to be too worried with that with the Henrique and Fowler deals and to a lesser extent, Silfverberg. 

Good point. But Perry would still be taking up a roster space and arguably force a premature trade of one the younger players during that time span

Any chance that, if there's a lockout in the 21-22 season... that buyouts change? Also, the big cap hit would be during the lockout season... maybe another lockout is expected?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Nick Ritchie. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

He’s a LW so he’s NA 

😦

I just have a feeling that Corey Perry is about to have a resurgence. And a lot of Ducks fans will wish he were back on our team. Yes, sometimes a player needs a change of scenery to get that extra bit of motivation for a resurgence. I just think we are really going to miss Perry's gritty, hard-nosed style of play. Terry has never had a 20-goal season. Neither has Steel. Or Comtois. I am really looking forward to seeing all of our young guns develop. However, Perry has proven what he can do. He's just been injured the past few seasons. He had been dealing with a knee injury since Juniors. Finally got the surgery to fix that. Would have been neat to see what a healthy Corey Perry could do with a full training camp and summer worth of training. If Perry could look as fast as he did in some games coming back late in the season, imagine how great he might play with a full summer to work.

By the way, to answer your question, I wouldn't even mind if we kept Perry on the 4th line. The Detroit Red Wings for years had very good talent on their 4th line. Like Mike Modano. The thing with Perry is that he can produce and be productive no matter what line he is on. I think Ducks fans are about to witness a Corey Perry resurgence. He has all the motivation in the world to prove he can be great. Remember what he said when he came back late in the season? Teemu Selanne was inspiration for him. with how he came back from the knee injury. How he ended up playing 10 more years. And how he hopes that can be him. Wouldn't surprise me if, at 34, his hope comes true. We shall see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

The one thing that's bothering me is the lack of a statement from Corey, unless I've missed it somewhere.

Also - we can't buy out Eaves or Kesler while they're injured, at least not without their permission (and that appears unlikely, certainly VERY unlikely for Eaves).  Despres was a weird special case and I think he gave permission, and it was additionally blessed by the NHL.

Anyway, here's what appears to be a decent rundown of the buyout rules, many of which I didn't know (some illumination as to why the buyout happened now/before June 30):
https://www.silversevensens.com/2015/6/10/8737195/nhl-buyout-rules-refresher-guide

Perry's never really been much of a "giving a statement" guy I guess. Kesler couldn't even get him Between Two Zambonies when he was on crutches.

• Like 3

From a cap hit perspective, this makes no sense at all.  Perry’s contract is over in 2 years.  It’s highly unlikely the Ducks are going to be Cup contenders in the next 2 years, and now with the buyout the cap hit will extend  2 more years, albeit at a lower amount.

I wish Perry the best.  I thought the chance of him returning to his former form was low, but still hoped he would and score 25+ goals again.  Now the hope is gone.  This is a sad day.

Edited by CAsFirstCup
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

this makes no sense at all.

its not only the salary we a little saved, its also a spot for a young player we now have free...

but why we not traded him, I maybe never will understand... sorry I would take even a 7th rounder... better then nothing.

7 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

Perry's never really been much of a "giving a statement" guy I guess. Kesler couldn't even get him Between Two Zambonies when he was on crutches.

"Hearing the words is like a jolt." Corey Perry's agent, Pat Morris, spoke to @icemancometh about Wednesday's buyout by the Ducks. Morris said Perry is grateful for the "classy" way the Ducks handled the move, which the agent doesn't see as the end.

• Thanks 1