The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
SteveinTamarindo

Ducks get Deslauriers 4 4th Rd Pick

28 minutes ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

Must be Sunday if I see this 1st.

what do you all think?

Interesting move by the Ducks This is a Depth move nothing more nothing less.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I read that his role can be described as that of an enforcer/grinder. Maybe one thing BM noticed while on the bench is that we don't really have a player who can stand up for his teammates. I know enforcers are almost extinct in the NHL. However, Nicolas seems to be known for his skating ability and was known for his creativity and puck handling skills in his junior days. Seems like a great fit for our fourth line, in the "NEW NHL." Can stand up for teammates when need be. And has the speed to keep up. Also, he is a converted defenseman. So, he likely is pretty sound defensively. Nice pickup, if you ask me. Will be a good 4th line player, at worst. By the way, he started his career with the Kings, playing his first three years in their system. Will be a nice addition to that rivalry. 

Edited by duck123
  • Like 1

What does the cow says when it walks by BM office? "Who? Who? Who?" What does the bird chirping when it flies by his office windows? "Cheap, cheap, cheap"

Edited by FanSince1993
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

Must be Sunday if I see this 1st.

what do you all think?

Not the best start in a crucial offseason for BM. Nothing against Deslauriers but moving Perry to make room for the youngsters only to bring in another winger makes little sense to me. Sure he's a bit older and I get he wants to surround the young ones with some veterans but Getzlaf, Silfverberg, Henrique & Fowler (and maybe Kesler one day) should be enough IMO.

Let's see what he does next.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, I was a big Maple Leaf fan.  I collected hockey cards.

I traded a Bob Pulford card for Frank Mahovolich and a Dave Keon card.  It totally wanted both those cards.  In that moment, I learned about the dynamic of making a trade:  "you have a player I want - I have something you want?  Let's make a deal that will benefit me (at the very least)".  

The moves this guy makes are more than "head scratchers" - they make NO Sense.  And for a fan, that really really sucks.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Not the best start in a crucial offseason for BM. Nothing against Deslauriers but moving Perry to make room for the youngsters only to bring in another winger makes little sense to me. Sure he's a bit older and I get he wants to surround the young ones with some veterans but Getzlaf, Silfverberg, Henrique & Fowler (and maybe Kesler one day) should be enough IMO.

Let's see what he does next.

This trade makes almost no sense and seems like just another example of bad asset management by Murray. The 4th round pick that he gave up is more valuable than the 4th line plug that he traded it for. The Ducks don't need 4th line grinders/enforcers, let alone are in a position to give up a draft pick to get one. If Murray is worried about opponents taking liberties on Steel, Terry, or Guhle, then you either have Holzer, Ritche, Manson, respond in kind, or just sign another Jared Boll off the scrap heap to do it without giving up an asset.

As far as Murray making an impact trade, the clock is just about to run out on the likelihood of him to make one. There is still the chance of it happening but it becomes less likely as teams have started to make agreements with UFA's and start to solidify their rosters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

This trade makes almost no sense and seems like just another example of bad asset management by Murray. The 4th round pick that he gave up is more valuable than the 4th line plug that he traded it for. The Ducks don't need 4th line grinders/enforcers, let alone are in a position to give up a draft pick to get one. If Murray is worried about opponents taking liberties on Steel, Terry, or Guhle, then you either have Holzer, Ritche, Manson, respond in kind, or just sign another Jared Boll off the scrap heap to do it without giving up an asset.

As far as Murray making an impact trade, the clock is just about to run out on the likelihood of him to make one. There is still the chance of it happening but it becomes less likely as teams have started to make agreements with UFA's and start to solidify their rosters.

It is puzzling. Might be for San Diego who knows. Somebody might have to help me out here but am I correct in thinking that it's likely we're gonna start the season with the following forwards:

Getzlaf, Henrique, Silfverberg, Rakell, Grant, Rowney, Shore, Ritchie, Sprong, Deslauriers & Terry. That's 11 forwards.
Kesler, Eaves & Kase on LTIR but Kase should be back for sure. That makes 12 not counting Steel, Jones, Comtois, Sherwood,... The players who should get a chance. Depth is important and you have to take injuries into account but something doesn't add up.

I'm guessing Shore, Sprong (who was scoring goals at Silfverberg pace) or Ritchie are on the way out. Maybe Henrique if it's a BIG trade but I guess we all know that's not gonna happen.

i don't know why any of us care about this trade.  he can get a 4th pick back very, very easily.  this guy plugs a hole either he or the coach wants, that's it.  they've seen the holes that need to be plugged, and we haven't, so.... 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fisix said:

i don't know why any of us care about this trade.  he can get a 4th pick back very, very easily.  this guy plugs a hole either he or the coach wants, that's it.  they've seen the holes that need to be plugged, and we haven't, so.... 

Apparently the hole they saw was 4th line LW pugilist. Deslauriers is actually one tough hombre. I just took a moment to enjoy watching him beat the crap out of Tom Wilson on HockeyFights.com. For your viewing pleasure: https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/139335

So with Deslauriers and Grantzlaf signed, I guess we should now expect that GMBM is still committed to a more traditional 4th line? Probably something like Deslauriers-Grant-Rowney.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Apparently the hole they saw was 4th line LW pugilist. Deslauriers is actually one tough hombre. I just took a moment to enjoy watching him beat the crap out of Tom Wilson on HockeyFights.com. For your viewing pleasure: https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/139335

So with Deslauriers and Grantzlaf signed, I guess we should now expect that GMBM is still committed to a more traditional 4th line? Probably something like Deslauriers-Grant-Rowney.

Agreed.  It looks a lot like GMBM is still the old fashioned thinking believer in those types of players.  That's not the way of the NHL.  Isn't it about rolling 4 lines of up tempo, fast, pressure applying hockey?

Next up are the hanson brothers...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Any guy that fights Tom Wilson and feeds him some good shots is OK in my book. That said, I'd rather see Sherwood on that line. He seems well-suited for that role and I'm not sure what more he can do to lock it down. Watch Murray lament the lack of speed by the second week of the season and then sign Jason Chimera or Chris Kelly again.

I hope he starts off this season better than last season.

He underwent facial surgery for a facial fracture last season in a preseason fight against New Jersey's Brandon Braddock.

11 hours ago, hoxxey said:

When I was a kid, I was a big Maple Leaf fan.  I collected hockey cards.

I traded a Bob Pulford card for Frank Mahovolich and a Dave Keon card.  It totally wanted both those cards.  In that moment, I learned about the dynamic of making a trade:  "you have a player I want - I have something you want?  Let's make a deal that will benefit me (at the very least)".  

The moves this guy makes are more than "head scratchers" - they make NO Sense.  And for a fan, that really really sucks.

Model UN/ debate coach used to always say "The definition of compromise is when both sides are equally dissatisfied". Told us that compromising was a tool for when no other options were available.

50 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Ugh. No thanks to the Boll clones.  Couldn't we switch things up and try scoring with the 4th line for once?  Please?

• Like 1

Pretty good, cheap pick-up to fill out Gulls and have a bruiser to call up when the situation warrants it.

For all the kids coming up, we'll need to fill holes down below.  It still amazes me that there are many on this board that don't realize that trades and signings are for more than stars or key players.  The same process occurs for the 4th liners on the Gulls than for the 1st line of the Ducks.  I'd say it's entertaining to watch our reactions to these signings, but honestly it's annoying and embarrassing.  Makes us look like we don't know how hockey works.  

1 hour ago, ChopSuey said:

BRING BACK Brian Burke at least he had guts to make a few bold moves

Ownership would not pay whatever amount Burke asked for, nor would he go anywhere near the train wreck which the Ducks have become.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Any guy that fights Tom Wilson and feeds him some good shots is OK in my book. That said, I'd rather see Sherwood on that line. He seems well-suited for that role and I'm not sure what more he can do to lock it down. Watch Murray lament the lack of speed by the second week of the season and then sign Jason Chimera or Chris Kelly again.

I don't think Deslauriers precludes Sherwood from getting games. Deslauriers is a LW, Sherwood played mostly RW last season IIRC. It's more likely that Rowney gets Sherwood's spot instead of Deslauriers.

2 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Agreed.  It looks a lot like GMBM is still the old fashioned thinking believer in those types of players.  That's not the way of the NHL.  Isn't it about rolling 4 lines of up tempo, fast, pressure applying hockey?

Next up are the hanson brothers...

The past two Stanley Cup champions would disagree. 

I also think we need someone who can play certain games to keep other teams from targeting our young players. It sucked last season when the Kings were so blatantly targeting Terry in that March game at Staples and only Holzer was there to stand up for him. Even if the league is moving away from goons, I still think the Ducks need a guy like Deslauriers who can dress for 25-35 games each season as protection for the kids against bullies like the Kings, Knights, Caps, Blues, Flyers, etc.

• Like 1

Who said Bob wouldn’t make a trade?? Naysayers! Classic Bob move. Now we can go on with Duck dynasty! 

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I also think we need someone who can play certain games to keep other teams from targeting our young players. It sucked last season when the Kings were so blatantly targeting Terry in that March game at Staples and only Holzer was there to stand up for him. Even if the league is moving away from goons, I still think the Ducks need a guy like Deslauriers who can dress for 25-35 games each season as protection for the kids against bullies like the Kings, Knights, Caps, Blues, Flyers, etc.

No, we don't.  The Blues played a tough, forechecking style, but they did that without a goon.  It sucked more in every game where we got outscored because we can't put the puck in the net.  The Ducks have enough guys who can play a physical style and punish offenders (Manson, Ritchie).  They don't need a designated black hole of offense.  They have too many of those.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Sherwood is tiny.  He's scrappy, sure, but teeny tiny for a skating enforcer.

3 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

No, we don't.  The Blues played a tough, forechecking style, but they did that without a goon.  It sucked more in every game where we got outscored because we can't put the puck in the net.  The Ducks have enough guys who can play a physical style and punish offenders (Manson, Ritchie).  They don't need a designated black hole of offense.  They have too many of those.

I think what you're saying is that Ritchie and Manson are getting traded.  ;)

Edited by Fisix

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Ugh. No thanks to the Boll clones.  Couldn't we switch things up and try scoring with the 4th line for once?  Please?

Boll stood up to, but never stood up, a Wilson.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

And yet, they DIDN'T this past season when the Kings tried to end Terry's career before it started, and when Gibby was getting his head run through the crossbar by forwards crashing the net.

Frankly, Manson plays on the top shutdown pair and I'm not keen on him being taken off the ice for 5 minutes at the time whenever an opponent decides to run our goaltender or one of our rookies. That's also too much of a burden on Manson to play the hardest minutes AND police the game for us against the opponents' goons. And aside from Manson we have.... um... Nick Ritchie. A poster child for bad penalties who couldn't stay on the ice this past season and who hasn't stood up for a teammate since he sucker-punched Rozsival into retirement two years ago.

I don't think anyone expects Deslauriers to play 82 games in Anaheim this season, but he's a good energy guy and apparently a really solid teammate if you believe what Habs fans are writing about him on social media. 

btw, "The Blues played a tough, forechecking style, but they did that without a goon."   Just because Pat Maroon scored 10G for the Blues last season doesn't mean they didn't have a slow-skating enforcer who kept the opponents honest. They also had at least three D-men who would throw the mitts if anyone crashed their crease. That was a tough, mean team. Unlike our Ducks.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't think Deslauriers precludes Sherwood from getting games. Deslauriers is a LW, Sherwood played mostly RW last season IIRC. It's more likely that Rowney gets Sherwood's spot instead of Deslauriers.

The past two Stanley Cup champions would disagree. 

I just don't see wasting a 4th round pick on a guy like him. Sign someone else to a two-way deal or the league minimum. I'd rather have that draft pick potentially put to use for something other than an enforcer.

• Like 2