The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

5 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

*raises hand*

I mean, I believe it in the way that this is a POTENTIALLY successful team. Gibson/Miller, a solid top D that hopefully remembers how to play hockey this season and shows last season was an anomaly, a good forward bunch with some new blood that has the chance to show they can cut it in the big leagues. All while under a brand new coach. It's just all potential right now.

And I believe in the way that once you make the playoffs, ANYTHING can happen, especially when your goalie tandem is Gibson/Miller.

Ducks are 80-1 right now in Vegas? Man, put some money on that. That's a great return especially considering the talent the team has. Red Wings/Kings are different stories. So is Ottawa. The Ducks UNDERPERFORMED last season. King, Red Wings, Ottawa...they didn't. Well, I'd say if anything the Kings overperformed :P 

So you’re saying there’s a chance?

:P

I’m actually with you on this. The Ducks are a top-4 RHD away from being a playoff team, and a bounce-back season from Rakell and Kase from being a really dangerous team that nobody will want to face in the 1st round. Then if Steel or one of the other young Ducklings can seize the 3C role and make it a legit 3rd line, this team could actually go far. That’s a lot that has to go right, but it’s not out of the question.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I’m actually with you on this. The Ducks are a top-4 RHD away from being a playoff team, and a bounce-back season from Rakell and Kase from being a really dangerous team that nobody will want to face in the 1st round. Then if Steel or one of the other young Ducklings can seize the 3C role and make it a legit 3rd line, this team could actually go far. That’s a lot that has to go right, but it’s not out of the question.

For what it's worth all Ducks Fans and Hockey fans should wait and see.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

This team is a complete wild card for next season. Who can say for sure whether they will come out of the gate a complete disaster or be any good. Remember last year we also started with a decent record then the wheels fell off. What I'm afraid of is if we stumble out of the gate, Bob is going to get desperate I think. He knows this is a make or break it season for him as well. Maybe he gets a slight pass because we're in a retool of sorts but next year for sure. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 4:16 PM, HockeyIzCool said:

The # of Season Ticket Holders is down, to it's lowest point in probably 17 years, and aside from the few marquee games, Honda Center will be half full most of the time, meaning there will be fewer people parking or buying overpriced concessions and souvenirs.  The Ducks ownership really doesn't want to spend much right now, be it on Players or Head Coaches.  Those days appear to be in the past.

So they'll field a team with someone taking on his 1st NHL Head Coaching position.  He'll have, for the periods when they're healthy, a Great Center in Ryan Getzlaf, and an All Star Goalie in John Gibson.  They'll be complimented by Rakell, who was inconsistent this past season, some other decent but not spectacular Veterans like Henrique, Lindholm & Fowler.  The other half of the team will be made up of NHL Journeymen and 2018 or '19 Gulls players.  Perhaps 1 or 2 will have a breakout season, and prove his ability to play at the NHL level.

Miller will continue to be a consistent backup, and the only real question will be whether he & Gibson can perform well enough to win us enough 1 or 2 goal margin games so that our record is not completely embarrassing.

How far did they drop in SSH?  I dumped mine.

10 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Exactly! I mean, right now, there's no reason to think one way or the other yet...if we can get that top-4 RHD, that's a big step.

I think there's always a chance and you could look at Vegas' odds this time 2 season ago...and the Blues odds in January...Vegas' odds don't tell you anything haha

8 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Remember last year we also started with a decent record then the wheels fell off. What I'm afraid of is if we stumble out of the gate, Bob is going to get desperate I think. He knows this is a make or break it season for him as well. Maybe he gets a slight pass because we're in a retool of sorts but next year for sure. 

I also remember the beginning of last season us all making a very big point about how we had no business winning those games...that you looked at our advanced stats and it just looked HORRIBLE. How much we were being out shot, but winning, was very bad.

But I don't think BM would get desperate if things go wrong out the gate. He's shown he's a very patient man and will give things a chance. If things don't gel right away, he'll say it's an adjustment period. With how much RC got last season, I can't imagine Eakins getting anything less. Unless it's just atrocious. Which would be shocking.

On 7/3/2019 at 4:03 PM, PetrSykora said:

Blues, Vegas, Trash, Sharts, Stars & Winterpeg, no. I think it's pretty wide open after that first tier of teams though. The Ducks are a pretty big question mark heading into next season but I don't think that means the Chicagos and Arizonas of the west are primed to leapfrog and bury us in the league's basement just like that. This is still a talented roster that will get a chance to play a full year under a new coach whose gameplan is more advanced than praying Gibson's hips aren't feeling sore. There's also going to be a ton of youth injected into the roster. Not saying we're a shoe in for playoff hockey but basically everyone is sleeping on us again. I'm hoping next season will be similar to 2013 when a new coach in his first full year (or full-ish, thank you lockout) took them to a surprise 2nd seed after everyone thought we'd be in the lottery. Even if we don't make the playoffs, I'm just looking forward to seeing them move further away from that awful 2018 Carlyle brand of anti-hockey we've been subjected to for too long.

I’m absolutely putting Colorado and Calgary as being clearly ahead of us right now. The Avs are going to be scary and fun to watch. Arizona just added one of the best scorers in the league and will have a healthy, Schmaltz and Rantaa. Vancouver got better with Myers and Miller, though I think they overpaid a bit to do it. Chicago seems to have solidified their goaltending and made some additions to their defense. I think that you have to account for what other teams have done, and with the Ducks not upgrading their roster, I don’t see them making the playoffs. Which isn’t the worst thing in the long run. 

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I’m absolutely putting Colorado and Calgary as being clearly ahead of us right now. The Avs are going to be scary and fun to watch. Arizona just added one of the best scorers in the league and will have a healthy, Schmaltz and Rantaa. Vancouver got better with Myers and Miller, though I think they overpaid a bit to do it. Chicago seems to have solidified their goaltending and made some additions to their defense. I think that you have to account for what other teams have done, and with the Ducks not upgrading their roster, I don’t see them making the playoffs. Which isn’t the worst thing in the long run. 

The Avs are marginally better in the forward lines thanks to swapping out Soderberg for Kadri at the 2C, but their defense also got worse with the loss of Barrie. They have an incredible duo in MacKinnon and Rantanen, but after those two guys I see nothing that scares me at all. I certainly don't think they are clearly ahead of the Ducks right now. And I expect our roster to still improve between now and opening day.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 4:12 PM, MooseDuck said:

When Pears returns...All Ducks Fans give him Standing O. His Contributions to Ducks will never be forgotten. What Corey Perry is he left his mark on Ducks and all...Love him or Hate him he is forever a Duck that advance "Ducks Cause" aka Winning.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

And it will be his 1,00th game.

11 minutes ago, Retire9 said:

I know and as tough as it maybe it will be something I know Ducks and Ducks Fans alike have on the Calendar.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Calgary is the biggest paper tiger the NHL has had in a very long time. At least Tampa dominated the league in almost every regard before collapsing in the playoffs. Calgary was never convincing outside of old man Giordano's MVP calibre performance. Cam Talbot and the hope that Hamburglar 2.0 doesn't end up a one hit wonder isn't going to put them over the edge when their awful regular season goaltending wasn't even in their top 5 biggest problems once the playoffs hit. It will take a crazy performance (or another terrible showing from the Pacific again) for the Flames to replicate what they accomplished. I can realistically picture them missing the playoffs. 

I'm not ranking any of those teams head and shoulders above the Ducks. It's too easy to get caught up in what other teams added (and I say added loosely because a lot of those additions came at the expense of major subtractions ex: Barrie, Galchenyuk, Subban, etc.) while forgetting what we already have. Literally every key player not named Gibson, Kase, or Silfverberg had a brutal down year. The defence especially. Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler all simultaneously put up their worst seasons since entering the league. Their careers to this point have shown that they're capable of being significantly better than they were. They'll have a fresh year with new coaching and a forward core that isn't relying too heavily on broken skaters to work with now. Gibson is still one of, if not the best goaltender in the league. IMO that alone at least puts them on even ground with the other western bubble teams you're mentioning even if the rest of the Ducks somehow remain at their rock bottom. I get it's frustrating sitting around while other teams are trying to improve. They could do a ton to strengthen the team before heading into next season no question. It's a shame they haven't already honestly. I just think last season was more of a perfect storm of worst case scenarios more than an indication of how good or bad this roster actually is. 

Edited by PetrSykora
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Calgary is the biggest paper tiger the NHL has had in a very long time. At least Tampa dominated the league in almost every regard before collapsing in the playoffs. Calgary was never convincing outside of old man Giordano's MVP calibre performance. Cam Talbot and the hope that Hamburglar 2.0 doesn't end up a one hit wonder isn't going to put them over the edge when their awful regular season goaltending wasn't even in their top 5 biggest problems once the playoffs hit. It will take a crazy performance (or another terrible showing from the Pacific again) for the Flames to replicate what they accomplished. I can realistically picture them missing the playoffs. 

I'm not ranking any of those teams head and shoulders above the Ducks. It's too easy to get caught up in what other teams added (and I say added loosely because a lot of those additions came at the expense of major subtractions ex: Barrie, Galchenyuk, Subban, etc.) while forgetting what we already have. Literally every key player not named Gibson, Kase, or Silfverberg had a brutal down year. The defence especially. Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler all simultaneously put up their worst seasons since entering the league. Their careers to this point have shown that they're capable of being significantly better than they were. They'll have a fresh year with new coaching and a forward core that isn't relying too heavily on broken skaters to work with now. Gibson is still one of, if not the best goaltender in the league. IMO that alone at least puts them on even ground with the other western bubble teams you're mentioning even if the rest of the Ducks somehow remain at their rock bottom. I get it's frustrating sitting around while other teams are trying to improve. They could do a ton to strengthen the team before heading into next season no question. It's a shame they haven't already honestly. I just think last season was more of a perfect storm of worst case scenarios more than an indication of how good or bad this roster actually is. 

It's true considering Injury played part in Ducks shortcomings also divide between Players and Coach was growing..

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

The Flames go nowhere until Giordano retires.  One wonders if that will happen after he misses an attempted knee check and damages his own instead.

18 hours ago, Retire9 said:

Pears will play his 1,000th game IN DALLAS against the Ducks (if he plays every game to start the season). Dallas doesn't come to the Honda Center until January 9.

29 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

The Flames go nowhere until Giordano retires.  One wonders if that will happen after he misses an attempted knee check and damages his own instead.

They also need a goalie...desperately...Talbot...lol I dunno...that Smith/Talbot signing swap is hilarious...

Smith shooting the puck out to McDavid might be terrifying...but...he'll make up for it by not really making good saves lol

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

They also need a goalie...desperately...Talbot...lol I dunno...that Smith/Talbot signing swap is hilarious...

Smith shooting the puck out to McDavid might be terrifying...but...he'll make up for it by not really making good saves lol

Yeah, goalie has been their problem ever since Kiprusoff (sp?) lost his mojo... or wore out, whichever you want to call it.

Elliot should have been good based on his previous season with the Blues, but something destroyed his confidence... or perhaps Calgary's blueline overexposed him.

On another topic, lol Nashville. Seven years for a player who might have four good years left (Duschene)? Yeah he's an offensive contributor, but he's past his prime, every season will be a little worse until... Nashville should be rebuilding, there is no Cup window to keep open this season.

Edited by Thom-74

16 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Calgary is definitely a paper tiger when it comes to the actual the playoffs. No one thinks that they are going to win the Cup but that they are likely to get in. The Coyotes gave up Galchenyuk who put up 41 pts for them and got Kessel who is a point per game guy at a minimum. That is a major upgrade to me. The Avs trading Barrie was inevitable when they selected Byram, who could step in right away, but Colorado still has a ton of talent on their blue line and bolstered their 2nd/3rd lines. Nashville moving Subban to get Duchene seems a bit more of a lateral move, but it addressed a major need and Nashville still has a great top-3 and has Dante Fabbro seemingly ready to step up. To me, all of these teams are better than the Ducks and with more potential.

I agree that Gibson has been the best goalie in the league for the past two seasons. He has also been taxed to exhaustion during that time, which is what concerns me. As of now, he's going to have to carry this team. Even if they can improve the defensively, which should be the top-priority, if he has a slightly above average season then I can't see the Ducks getting in the playoffs. The other huge issue that we all want addressed is scoring and we need a lot of it.  We just don't have enough players that can create offense or finish, which something that I don't think Dallas Eakins, or anyone else, can just coach into existence. I don't think that the Ducks will be a trainwreck like they were last season under Carlyle, but that there are simply too many better teams that also aren't starting to go through a coaching and roster transition along with many glaring holes in their lineup. If we go into this season as is, then it will be a bit disappointing but I won't be mad as long as Gibson's minutes are severely limited. I'm also more focused on seeing the development of the young players than making the playoffs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Calgary is definitely a paper tiger when it comes to the actual the playoffs. No one thinks that they are going to win the Cup but that they are likely to get in. The Coyotes gave up Galchenyuk who put up 41 pts for them and got Kessel who is a point per game guy at a minimum. That is a major upgrade to me. The Avs trading Barrie was inevitable when they selected Byram, who could step in right away, but Colorado still has a ton of talent on their blue line and bolstered their 2nd/3rd lines. Nashville moving Subban to get Duchene seems a bit more of a lateral move, but it addressed a major need and Nashville still has a great top-3 and has Dante Fabbro seemingly ready to step up. To me, all of these teams are better than the Ducks and with more potential.

I agree that Gibson has been the best goalie in the league for the past two seasons. He has also been taxed to exhaustion during that time, which is what concerns me. As of now, he's going to have to carry this team. Even if they can improve the defensively, which should be the top-priority, if he has a slightly above average season then I can't see the Ducks getting in the playoffs. The other huge issue that we all want addressed is scoring and we need a lot of it.  We just don't have enough players that can create offense or finish, which something that I don't think Dallas Eakins, or anyone else, can just coach into existence. I don't think that the Ducks will be a trainwreck like they were last season under Carlyle, but that there are simply too many better teams that also aren't starting to go through a coaching and roster transition along with many glaring holes in their lineup. If we go into this season as is, then it will be a bit disappointing but I won't be mad as long as Gibson's minutes are severely limited. I'm also more focused on seeing the development of the young players than making the playoffs.

IF our Ducks can get a Defencmen and RW via Trade or signing....it can lift the Burden of Gibson being Taxed to Exhaustion...One Player cannot  guide the team to the Stanley Cup which we know well.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 7/5/2019 at 1:40 PM, dtsdlaw said:

The Avs are marginally better in the forward lines thanks to swapping out Soderberg for Kadri at the 2C, but their defense also got worse with the loss of Barrie. They have an incredible duo in MacKinnon and Rantanen, but after those two guys I see nothing that scares me at all. I certainly don't think they are clearly ahead of the Ducks right now. And I expect our roster to still improve between now and opening day.

The goalie slot may have taken a hit too with the loss of Varlamov. I don't think he was injured for the playoffs, though he was the previous year. If Grubauer (Die Hard?) outplayed him than great for the Avs. Not sure if I'd want to rest all my hopes and dreams on him though; now that the Avs are crawling out of the basement into the light.

On 7/3/2019 at 3:28 PM, Aksun said:

Benn - Seguin Getzlaf - Perry?

Sure, I'll take that.

That was a fun line at the Olympics.

• Like 1

Anyone guess what our Ducks will do next....They are signing players to restock the Gulls but time is on our side...Ducks need to use it well to either sign or Trade to improve the team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Anyone guess what our Ducks will do next....They are signing players to restock the Gulls but time is on our side...Ducks need to use it well to either sign or Trade to improve the team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I think it's kinda telling that we are looking to stock up on minor leaguers right now...it's showing a lot of faith and trust that the new kids will be up and stay up.

But we definitely need to make a trade to get another top-4 D...but...I don't think that's gonna happen till after the season starts. He probably wants to see who really steps up, who doesn't. Who seems redundant, who seems necessary...but also, how much potential this team shows and see if it's worth trading assets to shore up our D. BM made it very clear this past off-season when he said he could have traded for Karlsson but didn't -- saying it would cost too much for a rental. A game-changing rental. With no guarantee of a re-signing. In other words, he didn't think that team was cup potential.

7 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I think it's kinda telling that we are looking to stock up on minor leaguers right now...it's showing a lot of faith and trust that the new kids will be up and stay up.

But we definitely need to make a trade to get another top-4 D...but...I don't think that's gonna happen till after the season starts. He probably wants to see who really steps up, who doesn't. Who seems redundant, who seems necessary...but also, how much potential this team shows and see if it's worth trading assets to shore up our D. BM made it very clear this past off-season when he said he could have traded for Karlsson but didn't -- saying it would cost too much for a rental. A game-changing rental. With no guarantee of a re-signing. In other words, he didn't think that team was cup potential.

I have feeling and sense our Ducks is long overdue for a Big Trade...or Pronger type as I coin it....IF BM wants to see how the Youth does It's clear we will see some Young Ducks get a Shot to prove themselves at the beginning.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck