The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
duck123

Ducks sign Andrew Poturalski!

According to multiple sources, Ducks have signed Andrew Poturalski! That's right! Andrew Poturalski! LOL. Don't worry. I never heard of him before today either. 

However, seems like a decent signing. To start, he was named the MVP of the AHL playoffs last month! He led the Calder Cup champion Charlotte Checkers, with 12 goals and 23 points in the playoffs. He also had 70 points in 72 games played in the regular season, including 23 goals. Great numbers! To put that into perspective, he outproduced any of our young prospects who played with San Diego this season. Plus, he is young like them-at only 25 years old. Might end up being a steal of a signing. Hopefully. 

Hockey's Future says he has good speed and awareness, with excellent offensive ability. Sounds like the perfect type of player for the new NHL. We have open roster spots, and it looks like he can play both center and wing. Would not be surprised to see him snatch a roster spot. At the very least, he is competition in camp to give extra motivation to our current prospects. And who knows. Maybe Dallas Eakins recommended the signing. Maybe a future winger for Getzlaf, on the second/third line? 

Yes, I know. I know. There are many examples that can be given of career minor league players who do great in the minor leagues but never produce in the major leagues. Hopefully Poturalski is different. Let's keep in mind that Chris Kunitz did not get his first NHL goal until the age of 26! Poturalski is a year younger. Like Kunitz, he was undrafted as well. Maybe he just needed a few years in the AHL to further develop his game. Looking forward to camp and seeing if Poturalski, along with some of our other young prospects, are ready to take the next step. At the very least, he'll be a great player to have in San Diego.

By the way, besides being an AHL star, he was a Hobey Baker finalist while playing college hockey at the University of New Hampshire. He was a sophomore that season, and was the Hockey East scoring champion that year, finishing with 52 points (22 goals, 30 assists). That was second in the country in scoring. So, he was an offensive star in college. He has been an offensive star in the AHL. Hopefully he can now be a decent player for the Anaheim Ducks. We shall see. 

Nice signing, Bob. 

Let's Go Ducks! 

Edited by duck123

All this signing says to me is that the Ducks opening night roster will have a lot of former Gulls on it. No harm in trying to keep the minor league team competing at a high level. I'm not expecting him to be a difference maker for the Ducks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

All this signing says to me is that the Ducks opening night roster will have a lot of former Gulls on it. No harm in trying to keep the minor league team competing at a high level. I'm not expecting him to be a difference maker for the Ducks.

On the contrary, the signings of Deslauriers and Grantzlaf, and the fact that we haven't traded Devin Shore or any of our RWs to clear the way for Jones, Comtois, Terry and Sherwood, leads me to believe that Bob Murray may be stocking up for a serious run at the Calder Cup. <_<

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

That should put people in the seats.

I do not know nothing about him I wish him luck.

BUT if he is that wonderful why the BIG GUNS did not go after him just a thought. 

• Like 1

If he turns out to be the next Chris Kunitz I'll be superpleased but I think he's a career AHL'er. A very good one at that. Great signing for The Gulls.

• Like 1

Depends how creative he is with the puck and what his On-Ice IQ is. If he’s anything like Etem who just sped linearly on the side board with his head down and never passed or looked up then he’s prob not going to amount to anything. But if he displays good passing skills and uses those around him effectively while scoring in different fashion then he might be a winner

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 4:55 PM, gorbachav5 said:

I like this better than Deslauriers.

Interesting Signing and Good one.....yet I am wondering if this to help Ducks Farm team or San Diego.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck