The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
Fisix

Sutter??!?

Interesting move right there by the Ducks especially GM Bob Murray. Whatever this "Advisor" role be I hope it's beneficial.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

He has two cups in the past 8-9 years. Everyone was so gung-ho about Quenneville who had 3 cups during the same time frame, what’s so bad about Sutter advising. He’s not an assistant or associate, he’s an advisor.

• Like 7

he's a freaking guillotine hanging over Eakins' head.

reports are that Eakins is happy with the situation.  if that's true, then Sutter has value.

• Thanks 1

How is Sutter going to be an advisor to the coaching staff if they can't understand a single mutter that comes out of his mouth? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This might turn out to be a good move. Sutter doesn't want to head coach, but he could actually be a good sounding board for Eakins through his first season with the Ducks. I'll be waiting and seeing on this one.

Love this move! Let's also not forget Sutter guided a team to the SCF as a GM too (Calgary 2004). Mush mouth aside, he is a legit hockey genius. Making him an "occasional coach" is a great idea and should reduce the chances of him wearing out his welcome in the dressing room too soon. And lord knows Eakins needs a mentor since he's never actually had one. I also really like the idea of him helping GMBM make personnel decisions. Sutter will be able to bridge the gap between what is actually happening on the ice and what Bob thinks he is seeing from his view in the luxury suite. 

Now if we could just add some defenders to protect Gibby....

• Like 3

Mumbles is a great add.  He can also give Murray advice.

Edited by Fowl

Darryl Sutter is seriously funny.  This guy could do stand up or a tv show.  The Darryl Sutter show.  He could interview hockey players and make people laugh.  First guest would be Dustin Penner.  

Good job Ducks.  He can advise Bob Murray to quit now.

Not only is Eakins fine with it, he said that he specifically requested Sutter. He wants an experienced staff. I don't think this is a bad thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

According to the OC Register, Sutter is reportedly a big fan of Eakins. The guy did win 2 Cups. After the Xanax finally kicked in, I'm good with the hire.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Love this move! Let's also not forget Sutter guided a team to the SCF as a GM too (Calgary 2004). Mush mouth aside, he is a legit hockey genius. Making him an "occasional coach" is a great idea and should reduce the chances of him wearing out his welcome in the dressing room too soon. And lord knows Eakins needs a mentor since he's never actually had one. I also really like the idea of him helping GMBM make personnel decisions. Sutter will be able to bridge the gap between what is actually happening on the ice and what Bob thinks he is seeing from his view in the luxury suite. 

Not sure if this is a Gulls or Dicks signing since both are short on D.

EDIT:

Jani Hakanpaa's deal with #NHLDucks is one-way for $850,000 in 2019-20.

Hakanpaa, 27 (3/31/92), earned 25-56=81 points with a +76 rating in 298 career Finnish Elite League (Liiga) games with Karpat and Espoo. The 6-5, 207-pound defenseman led Finnish Elite League defensemen in plus/minus in back-to-back seasons in 2018-19 (+29) and 2017-18 (+28). Hakanpaa was a member of the 2017-18 Karpat team that won the Finnish Elite League postseason championship. Last season, Hakanpaa collected 11-12=23 points with 94 penalty minutes (PIM) in 52 games with Karpat, ranking tied for second among Liiga defensemen in goals. He also appeared in 17 playoff games, registering 1-3=4 points with a +9 rating.

Selected by St. Louis in the fourth round (104th overall) of the 2010 NHL Draft, Hakanpaa recorded 6-14=20 points with a +20 rating and 86 PIM in 132 career AHL games with Peoria and Chicago from 2012-15. A native of Kirkkonummi, Finland, Hakanpaa helped his country’s national team to a gold medal at the 2019 World Championship. He also won bronze with Team Finland at the 2010 Under-18 World Championship, earning 1-1=2 points with a +3 rating in six tournament games.

Edited by DuckFan4Life
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Not sure if this is a Gulls or Dicks signing since both are short on D.

EDIT:

Jani Hakanpaa's deal with #NHLDucks is one-way for $850,000 in 2019-20.

Hakanpaa, 27 (3/31/92), earned 25-56=81 points with a +76 rating in 298 career Finnish Elite League (Liiga) games with Karpat and Espoo. The 6-5, 207-pound defenseman led Finnish Elite League defensemen in plus/minus in back-to-back seasons in 2018-19 (+29) and 2017-18 (+28). Hakanpaa was a member of the 2017-18 Karpat team that won the Finnish Elite League postseason championship. Last season, Hakanpaa collected 11-12=23 points with 94 penalty minutes (PIM) in 52 games with Karpat, ranking tied for second among Liiga defensemen in goals. He also appeared in 17 playoff games, registering 1-3=4 points with a +9 rating.

Selected by St. Louis in the fourth round (104th overall) of the 2010 NHL Draft, Hakanpaa recorded 6-14=20 points with a +20 rating and 86 PIM in 132 career AHL games with Peoria and Chicago from 2012-15. A native of Kirkkonummi, Finland, Hakanpaa helped his country’s national team to a gold medal at the 2019 World Championship. He also won bronze with Team Finland at the 2010 Under-18 World Championship, earning 1-1=2 points with a +3 rating in six tournament games.

This is a Ducks Deal so expect him to be in Ducks Roster.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I will say this. The Kings were a lot scarier to play against when Darryl Sutter was behind the bench. They always played hard, edgy, like hungry bulls. He's smart enough to be able to adapt to the new NHL. Not sure why he was fired, in the first place. Team has gone downhill since. 

I am glad he is part of our organization now. Hoping he is a big part of training camp, in helping to run drills, to really motivate our players in their work ethic department.

It really is a great combo. Eakins will be there to listen to the players, and make them feel understood. Sutter will be there to remind them that it's their job to work hard at all times. Yes, Eakins will need to do that also, as head coach. But while Eakins will provide more of a relational head coaching role, Sutter will be somebody who will practice tough love. Nice hire, if you ask me. 

34a9a05a817a0630e2c46ad28362d46f.jpg

Always have loved The Muppets. If Eakins is actually on board and not towing the company line, this is a postive through and through.

Edited by poum
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, j0ejure said:

Darryl Sutter is seriously funny.  This guy could do stand up or a tv show.  The Darryl Sutter show.  He could interview hockey players and make people laugh.  First guest would be Dustin Penner.  

Good job Ducks.  He can advise Bob Murray to quit now.

Is Sutter actually funny? Aside from the "What the hell did he say?! Hahaha".

If anything Sutter is gonna bring the feels when he shows up with his son and starts tugging all the heart strings.

Sutter has had a lot of success in this league. He's also had some time off since getting fired to see the direction the league is going. Let's not assume he can't learn to adapt to the NEW NHL, the way some other coaches might not be able to. He's the same age as Joel Quenneville, and has had similar success in the NHL. Quenneville just got hired this summer to be the Panthers coach the next 5 years. If he can still be a head coach in the league, Sutter likely could be as well. And Sutter only has 1 less Stanley Cup ring as a head coach than Quenneville. 

Sutter being an "advisor" can only benefit our coaching staff, in my opinion. It's simply a way to keep our coaches accountable. Nothing wrong with that, if you ask me. 

Edited by duck123
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, poum said:

34a9a05a817a0630e2c46ad28362d46f.jpg

Always have loved The Muppets. If Eakins is actually on board and not towing the company line, this is a postive through and through.

Come on man that is Wrong comparison Don't you dare insult Sam the Eagle.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 2:04 AM, dtsdlaw said:

Gibby shouldn't have to lose any sleep he has Fowler to clear his crease!🌼

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, mulcher said:

Gibby shouldn't have to lose any sleep he has Fowler to clear his crease!🌼

Agree....Gibby to trust Fowler and Maybe Hakanpaa.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 7/2/2019 at 7:23 PM, Fisix said:

he's a freaking guillotine hanging over Eakins' head.

reports are that Eakins is happy with the situation.  if that's true, then Sutter has value.

You are over paranoid. Sutter has stated multiple times he is done with coaching. Why would management line up a replacement for the guy they hired less than a month ago? lol

Edited by BlazingEtem

8 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Come on man that is Wrong comparison Don't you dare insult Sam the Eagle.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I couldn't find that one! I know I posted it here somewhere before.

Whatever words of wisdom Sutter brings to Ducks Coaching Staff I am sure it will be positive one.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 7/2/2019 at 11:04 PM, dtsdlaw said:

AGREE - for all we know it might have been Eakins suggestion. He does have a good hockey mind. IMHO

12 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

AGREE - for all we know it might have been Eakins suggestion. He does have a good hockey mind. IMHO

Per an article by Eric Stephens in the Athletic, Eakins specifically asked for Sutter to join the organization in an advisory position.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Per an article by Eric Stephens in the Athletic, Eakins specifically asked for Sutter to join the organization in an advisory position.

I wonder if this means that RC is out as "adviser" to the team (I think back before he was shipped, they were talking about him scouting and advising). 

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Fisix said:

I wonder if this means that RC is out as "adviser" to the team (I think back before he was shipped, they were talking about him scouting and advising). 

That’s an interesting question. From an organization perspective, how do you keep around a guy who ran your team into the ground? And from RC’s perspective, would you even want to remain with a team whose players quit on you? Maybe it’d be best for all involved to just move on.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

That’s an interesting question. From an organization perspective, how do you keep around a guy who ran your team into the ground? And from RC’s perspective, would you even want to remain with a team whose players quit on you? Maybe it’d be best for all involved to just move on.

I can't imagine Carlyle being asked to stay on.  That would be completely ridiculous.  But they also just PROMOTED Nonis, the guy who gave David Clarkson like $40 million over 7 years or whatever it was.  So I'm not convinced the front office is in great shape for making good decisions. 

There was a deal in place, so if they don't hire RC, they may need to send him some cash for doing nothing.  Shrug.  I'm ok with that, over him messing with the team and Eakins and BM and, I guess, Sutter.  Based on how things ended last year, RC seems way out of touch with everything hockey right now, and at best I think he needs some time away from the game in anything but a self-evaluation mode.

I have to say, I'm feeling much less optimistic for this coming season right now.  Part of it is not being able to witness first hand whether Corey will overcome the odds, part of it is the FA players we picked up (and didn't) so far, and part of it is my personal cup of optimism is getting drained faster than it's getting replenished, for now.  

We currently have a $9M cap space to work with, and that's not even counting the (inevitable?) LTIR we'll have available.  If we wanted to, we could land some serious seat-sitter talent for this coming season, somewhere between 2-3 players... though we'd be putting ourselves in a bind at least in terms of the ED if they were anything but rentals.  A player would have to be pretty self-confident to agree to a 2 year or less deal with the Ducks, in their current state... and that costs more money than we want to ship.  I keep thinking about that a-hole Hagelin, and I see us at high risk of slipping into a similar deal.

The one thing dragging me back from the cliffs of despair is the herd of youngsters.  They seemed ready to put on a show last season.  I'm not entirely happy about it, but I'll be satisfied if the rooks tangibly increase their NHL play-ability this year, even if we don't make it into the playoffs on points.  I'll be very happy if the roster can gel as a team.

• Like 2