The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

2 hours ago, GiAnTFAN-ad1 said:

Chris Kunitz announces his retirement from Blackhawks.  He was my daughter's favorite Duck.  Team needs more like him!

Yeah I saw that. 2007 champs slowly leaving the game. Actually, how many besides Perry and Getz are actually left?

Several years ago, at a Thrasher’s season ticket holder event, I asked GM Don Waddell what he viewed as one of his mistakes on a player.  He said, allowing Kunitz to return to the Ducks.  

• Like 1

Until his retirement on Monday Kunitz had the most Stanley Cups (4) of any active player in the NHL. So wish the Ducks could have kept him. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Yeah I saw that. 2007 champs slowly leaving the game. Actually, how many besides Perry and Getz are actually left?

Kunitz was a great Duck. Little guy but with a big heart. It was a sad day for us when he left but I'm glad for him he found chemistry with Crosby.

Without cheating I can't think of anyone actually. Is Drew Miller still active in the NHL?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

Until his retirement on Monday Kunitz had the most Stanley Cups (4) of any active player in the NHL. So wish the Ducks could have kept him. 

then he wouldn't have had 4.... :P :P :P but I do agree with you. He really should have stayed...that trade to Pittsburgh was just...brutal...arguably we could have had another one around the 2013-2017 area with him.

4-time Stanley Cup Champion Chris Kunitz. Solid, solid, solid player. Had a lot of grit and forecheck to him...Kase sort of reminds me of him, in a less gritty way, but in the passionate way.

1 Stanley Cups, 1 Olympic Gold...think he makes it to first-ballot HOF? 

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

It's a good question. Off the top of my head:

Kunitz - McDonald - Selanne: All retired now that Kunitz is leaving

Penner (eating pancakes somewhere) - Getzlaf - Perry

Niedermayer - Pahlsson - Moen: I know the first two are done, is Moen still kicking around?  I feel like I haven't heard his name in a while. I doubt he's still in the NHL.

May - Marchant - Thornton/Shannon: I know I'm forgetting a 4th liner/scrub, but I don't think any of these guys are still around

Niedermayer - Beauchemin: Retired

Pronger - O'Donnell: Retired

Huskins - DiPenta: I'm 99% sure both of these guys have been out of the NHL for a while. They might be kicking around somewhere else, but they're not in the NHL. Ric Jackman is also out of the league.

Giguere - Bryzgalov: Retired

So unless Moen is still around somewhere (unlikely), I think Getzlaf and Perry are it.  Now I need to go check my work.

Moen hasn't played since 2016.  Yikes.  I thought it was more recently than that.

Drew Miller played in 2017 and hasn't been in the NHL since then.

Other guys who got at least a game in the playoffs: Joe Motzko, Ryan Carter, Mark Hartigan (??), Aaron Rome, and he whom I'd like to forget, George Parros.  All those guys have been out of the NHL for quite a while.  Carter hung around until 2016.

Oh, and Huskins and DiPenta are long, long gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Randy Carlyle is still around looking for work :ph34r:

Also, raise your hand if you thought Shawn Thornton's career would end up lasting longer than Dustin Penner's back in 2007. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kunitz was one of those almost indestructible players, which he used to leverage into good lines and a high level of play.  He knew how to use his whole body in the game, and I seem to remember him being an efficient skater.

I'd be interested to know if he trained really hard all the time, or if he was one of those mutants who could just show up and get there in Spring Training.  I wish I knew more, but I viewed him as someone who just always, always showed up.  Showed up for training, showed up for practices, showed up for PR, and showed up as a competitor in every game.

I've known a few people like that in life.  Seems like when they're done, they're out the door done.  That's not commentary on anything in particular, just an observance.

• Like 2

So nice to hear the positive responses to an undrafted player out of Ferris State!  Kunitz was a class act.  In 2008, on a trip to Chicago to see Ducks play, I ran into some of his buddies from college.  They all has nice things to say about him.

He's got the same amount of Cups as Scott Niedermayer!

Edited by GiAnTFAN-ad1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

It's a good question. Off the top of my head:

Kunitz - McDonald - Selanne: All retired now that Kunitz is leaving

Penner (eating pancakes somewhere) - Getzlaf - Perry

Niedermayer - Pahlsson - Moen: I know the first two are done, is Moen still kicking around?  I feel like I haven't heard his name in a while. I doubt he's still in the NHL.

May - Marchant - Thornton/Shannon: I know I'm forgetting a 4th liner/scrub, but I don't think any of these guys are still around

Niedermayer - Beauchemin: Retired

Pronger - O'Donnell: Retired

Huskins - DiPenta: I'm 99% sure both of these guys have been out of the NHL for a while. They might be kicking around somewhere else, but they're not in the NHL. Ric Jackman is also out of the league.

Giguere - Bryzgalov: Retired

So unless Moen is still around somewhere (unlikely), I think Getzlaf and Perry are it.  Now I need to go check my work.

Moen hasn't played since 2016.  Yikes.  I thought it was more recently than that.

Drew Miller played in 2017 and hasn't been in the NHL since then.

Other guys who got at least a game in the playoffs: Joe Motzko, Ryan Carter, Mark Hartigan (??), Aaron Rome, and he whom I'd like to forget, George Parros.  All those guys have been out of the NHL for quite a while.  Carter hung around until 2016.

Oh, and Huskins and DiPenta are long, long gone.

Huskins owns coffee Shop in Santa Ana

Dipenta is in Cole Harbour and a Regional Director for Atlantic Canada for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Huskins owns coffee Shop in Santa Ana

Dipenta is in Cole Harbour and a Regional Director for Atlantic Canada for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

What coffee shop!?

5 hours ago, Administrator said:

Corner of 1st Street and Cabrillo Park Drive.

I will be paying visit there when I make a trip there.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

😭 Kunitz was a beast in hockey, sad to see him hang them up. Def one of my favorites from the Cup team :t_hot_unread: