The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
SteveinTamarindo

Most Boring Off-Season Ever?

On 8/23/2019 at 9:04 AM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

As far as the ED goes, I’d like to think that Murray learned from the last one and is going to be better prepared. We are going to lose something of value. If he doesn’t want to give up a good prospect and get Theodore’d again, then he’ll have to move high picks or let someone like Fowler, Henrique, or Silfverberg get selected. A lot can happen in two years so who knows how it will shake out but I think that teams are going to be very active next summer to best position themselves for the ED because I’m betting on Seattle doing what Vegas did and hold the league hostage the summer of the draft.

everyone gets it.  you don't like BM.  you pretty much never contemplate what other options there were at the time a decision is made, not anything that's remotely possible, anyway, but that's part of your MO.  where it grates is when you pick on some act the entire league has agreed BM did well with at the time, and you use 20-20 hindsight WITHOUT MAKING IT CLEAR YOU'RE DOING SO in a really Dehydrated Donkey Dungty way just to make a negative point.  more, most of these negative leaning points are pretty weak anyway - Theo doing well with Vegas doesn't mean he'd do well in Anaheim, not at the level he was back then, not with our forwards, not with his available linemates, not with our needs then or now.  

for example, you state above that BM needs to learn from the last ED to be "better prepared.".  bullDehydrated Donkey Dung.  he got rid of Stoner and went with Manson over Theo, which was a very solid move given their past performance at that point in time.  based on the stats back then?  there was no real decision.  theo was good, but he wasn't going to be able to do double duty as a decent d-man and muscle on the ice, and Manson appeared way, way better back then compared to how he's looked since.  PLUS, we don't know how Theo might have looked had he stayed - players that are great are great because of their own skill, but they're also great because they're put in circumstances that mesh with their skill set.  Vegas was perfect for Theo... I doubt it would have worked out for him in Anaheim.

if you want to suggest something different for the next ED, then start thinking about what decisions make the most sense in a rebuild, and why, and at least spend some time considering why X would make more sense as a deal during the ED and not as a trade prior to the ED.  My personal opinion is that, based on the way the other teams appear to be approaching the ED, we aren't going to get anything decent by allowing a player of the caliber of a Fowler, Hank (insane), or Silf (also insane) to be selected.  There's a very, very, extremely slim chance that teams are going to be forced into trades benefiting a team like the ducks, just before or as part of the ED.  Much smaller chance than last time, in my view.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

everyone gets it.  you don't like BM.  you pretty much never contemplate what other options there were at the time a decision is made, not anything that's remotely possible, anyway, but that's part of your MO.  where it grates is when you pick on some act the entire league has agreed BM did well with at the time, and you use 20-20 hindsight WITHOUT MAKING IT CLEAR YOU'RE DOING SO in a really Dehydrated Donkey Dungty way just to make a negative point.  more, most of these negative leaning points are pretty weak anyway - Theo doing well with Vegas doesn't mean he'd do well in Anaheim, not at the level he was back then, not with our forwards, not with his available linemates, not with our needs then or now.  

for example, you state above that BM needs to learn from the last ED to be "better prepared.".  bullDehydrated Donkey Dung.  he got rid of Stoner and went with Manson over Theo, which was a very solid move given their past performance at that point in time.  based on the stats back then?  there was no real decision.  theo was good, but he wasn't going to be able to do double duty as a decent d-man and muscle on the ice, and Manson appeared way, way better back then compared to how he's looked since.  PLUS, we don't know how Theo might have looked had he stayed - players that are great are great because of their own skill, but they're also great because they're put in circumstances that mesh with their skill set.  Vegas was perfect for Theo... I doubt it would have worked out for him in Anaheim.

if you want to suggest something different for the next ED, then start thinking about what decisions make the most sense in a rebuild, and why, and at least spend some time considering why X would make more sense as a deal during the ED and not as a trade prior to the ED.  My personal opinion is that, based on the way the other teams appear to be approaching the ED, we aren't going to get anything decent by allowing a player of the caliber of a Fowler, Hank (insane), or Silf (also insane) to be selected.  There's a very, very, extremely slim chance that teams are going to be forced into trades benefiting a team like the ducks, just before or as part of the ED.  Much smaller chance than last time, in my view.

I've stated that in previous posts that as far as the Vegas ED goes, I've come around to that Murray made the rational decision at the time. He was in a tough spot, and my issue was always that he put himself in a bad position with NMC's, particularly Bieksa's. Giving up Theodore because we had Larsson, Pettersson and Mahura as LHD in the system made sense. Of course, seeing Theodore go on to be a key part on a Cup contender isn't going to sit well, especially when Larsson or Mahura haven't risen to fill that void. We saw Theodore's potential when he was here, and he turned into a good player for Vegas. Given our history of developing defensemen, I think that he would have been good in Anaheim also. We don't know what other options were out there, so maybe this was the best one, which is scary to think that it could have been worse. How Murray handled the Vegas ED isn't even on my list of reasons why I've soured on him, but I've also given him credit where I think he's done well. Obviously, I think that the bad has outweighed the good. He's going to be around for a while so I hope that he is able to pull this rebuild off.

As far as Seattle goes, the Ducks are going to be in a different situation than with Vegas. We already know that these players would need to be protected: Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, Larsson, Mahura, Guhle, Steel, Terry, Jones, Lundestrom, Kase, Silfverberg, Henrique, Rakell, and possibly Strong (not including Getzlaf since he's a UFA and I hope will re-sign after the ED or Ritchie because I think he's traded before then). I mean, just based on this, either Henrique or Silfverberg would be exposed (I'd keep Silfverberg) as would Guhle and Larsson. Assuming we are still in a clear rebuild, my initial best case scenario is Henrique would get exposed and selected because Zegras, Steel, and Lundestrom take over two of the top 3 center positions and LW will have Rakell, Jones, Comtois and possibly Tracey in the wings. 

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I've stated that in previous posts that as far as the Vegas ED goes, I've come around to that Murray made the rational decision at the time. He was in a tough spot, and my issue was always that he put himself in a bad position with NMC's, particularly Bieksa's. Giving up Theodore because we had Larsson, Pettersson and Mahura as LHD in the system made sense. Of course, seeing Theodore go on to be a key part on a Cup contender isn't going to sit well, especially when Larsson or Mahura haven't risen to fill that void. We saw Theodore's potential when he was here, and he turned into a good player for Vegas. Given our history of developing defensemen, I think that he would have been good in Anaheim also. We don't know what other options were out there, so maybe this was the best one, which is scary to think that it could have been worse. How Murray handled the Vegas ED isn't even on my list of reasons why I've soured on him, but I've also given him credit where I think he's done well. Obviously, I think that the bad has outweighed the good. He's going to be around for a while so I hope that he is able to pull this rebuild off.

As far as Seattle goes, the Ducks are going to be in a different situation than with Vegas. We already know that these players would need to be protected: Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, Larsson, Mahura, Guhle, Steel, Terry, Jones, Lundestrom, Kase, Silfverberg, Henrique, Rakell, and possibly Strong (not including Getzlaf since he's a UFA and I hope will re-sign after the ED or Ritchie because I think he's traded before then). I mean, just based on this, either Henrique or Silfverberg would be exposed (I'd keep Silfverberg) as would Guhle and Larsson. Assuming we are still in a clear rebuild, my initial best case scenario is Henrique would get exposed and selected because Zegras, Steel, and Lundestrom take over two of the top 3 center positions and LW will have Rakell, Jones, Comtois and possibly Tracey in the wings. 

There is going to be alot of Tough decisons for the Ducks as the ED for Seattle gets closer.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

There is going to be alot of Tough decisons for the Ducks as the ED for Seattle gets closer.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

9 hours ago, DuckRogers13 said:

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

I for one appreciate Moose's unwavering support for the Ducks. "Ducks Dedication" defines Moose. You can agree or disagree with a post, but there's no need to insult the individual themself. That's just common decency that should be "obvious."

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

I for one appreciate Moose's unwavering support for the Ducks. "Ducks Dedication" defines Moose. You can agree or disagree with a post, but there's no need to insult the individual themself. That's just common decency that should be "obvious."

Agreed! 

This isn’t Twitter. No need to agree here, but it’s not hard to show others some common decency.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DuckRogers13 said:

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Why don't you get off your computer and go outside. Maybe some fresh air will do you some good. We don't need people acting like jerks and tearing other people down. It's one thing to disagree with someone, but keep the disparaging remarks to yourself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agreed! 

This isn’t Twitter. No need to agree here, but it’s not hard to show others some common decency.

I have always been here and never had any issues with any Ducks Posters or Message Board....for the past 18 years I have seen the ups and downs...and changes to the Ducks Message Board. You can say I am  Ducks Hockey Sage on this Board in a Way...;).

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 3

On 8/26/2019 at 6:10 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

We don't "know" who needs to be protected, not with all those players.  Manson has kind of sucked and might lose his position.  ALL the rooks have yet to produce results that would require protection, certainly over Hank.  Kase is perhaps too fragile to keep around season after season.  We won't really be able to say anything smart about this until at least halfway through this season, maybe 3/4s.  It's fun to say who we'd want, but in no way, shape, or form do we "already know that these players would need to be protected."  I'm not even sure all the players you listed will need to be protected, based on their contract status.

In addition, BM absolutely WILL have failed if he exposes and loses either Hank or Silf in the ED.  If we're going to lose one of those quality players, they need to be traded prior, or there needs to be a very, very good deal in place with Seattle that'll look so bad that the League will have to investigate.

The most expensive and the least productive players must be exposed first: Fowler, Henrique, Kesler (if he does not retire by then).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most of the time I disagree with Mooseduck's rose colored outlook on all things Ducks.  He's like our own Chicago Cubs fan from 10 years ago, always proclaiming that this will be our year....and then when all hope is lost.....it becomes NEXT Year Is Our Year!!  There's nothing wrong with optimism, and he has that right, and his pro Ducks stance is certainly welcome here.

I sometimes listen to Roger Lodge on AM 830, and on Monday he spent most of his show asking whether it was time to say the Angels won't make the playoffs this season.  Gee.....I don't know....they're only about 13 Games out of the 2nd Wild Card spot with a month to go.  But he's a homer, hired by the flagship station to drive up enthusiasm even when there's zero chance of changing the inevitable.

I expect to come here in November, when the Ducks have single digits in points, and see Mooseduck posting about how it's still possible to turn things around.  Heck, he even eventually jumped onboard the Dump Carlyle bandwagon last season.

We've been season seat holders since Day 1, so we're always pulling for the Ducks to excel.  But honestly, after the 2017-18 Season, and especially after the 2018-19 Season, I have seen no effort from Ownership or Management to make me think anything other than the team is merely going through the motions.  I have very low expectations for the upcoming season, and I just don't see how we intend to keep up with some of the other clubs that have improved their rosters over the past couple of years.  I really foresee another sub-90 point result, but hope that I'm wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

We don't "know" who needs to be protected, not with all those players.  Manson has kind of sucked and might lose his position.  ALL the rooks have yet to produce results that would require protection, certainly over Hank.  Kase is perhaps too fragile to keep around season after season.  We won't really be able to say anything smart about this until at least halfway through this season, maybe 3/4s.  It's fun to say who we'd want, but in no way, shape, or form do we "already know that these players would need to be protected."  I'm not even sure all the players you listed will need to be protected, based on their contract status.

In addition, BM absolutely WILL have failed if he exposes and loses either Hank or Silf in the ED.  If we're going to lose one of those quality players, they need to be traded prior, or there needs to be a very, very good deal in place with Seattle that'll look so bad that the League will have to investigate.

Correct. I should have said that those players will be eligible to be selected in the draft, barring something such as a career threatening injury. From my understanding they should all technically have more than two years of pro experience. If I’m wrong, then someone please let me know. Who actually gets protected and how Murray handles it obviously depends on how things play out, especially with the young guys.

If Murray exposes someone like Henrique or even Silfverberg and feels fine with potentially losing one of them in two years then I think it would be because the young guys have progressed to where one of them has become expendable. On a team likely to still be in a some sort of rebuild, that seems like something that we’d want have happen. I think Henrique will have serious competition for his job. His contract doesn’t help him either. He’ll be 32 and making just under $6 mil per year for three more years.

Also, McPhee basically brought the trade market to a halt because they wanted to prevent teams from trading to weaken their options of players for Vegas to select. Murray couldn’t really do much about that. So, we’ll see if Seattle complicates things and does something similar.

I’m excited for this year to start and begin watching it all play out. 

ohhhhh you do NOT attack Moose! I saw that same post, felt kinda gross, and then felt great seeing all these posters come to defend him :)

as far as the theo thing with him being really good for Vegas...let's not forget the atrocious turn over he made in the 2017 playoffs....ive already forgotten the specifics but I remember it being pretty bad lol he had a great first round, but the 2nd and 3rd round he really fell. Maybe he would have been better in a non-RC system, shrug. But I'd still take Manson over him. Although I would have loved to have had both lol

As I've said before, I have no issues with BM doing nothing this off-season. If he didn't go after Karlsson last off-season, he certainly wont be doing anything at all THIS off-season. He doesn't see this team as a contender and doesn't feel it's worth sacrificing assets (assets that COULD turn the team into one) to try and force this team to "feel like one." Only one team wins the cup. And there are more than one contenders. Him waiting to see how October goes is a-ok in my book. Let's not shave a triangle into a square to try and fit into a round hole.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Most of the time I disagree with Mooseduck's rose colored outlook on all things Ducks.  He's like our own Chicago Cubs fan from 10 years ago, always proclaiming that this will be our year....and then when all hope is lost.....it becomes NEXT Year Is Our Year!!  There's nothing wrong with optimism, and he has that right, and his pro Ducks stance is certainly welcome here.

I sometimes listen to Roger Lodge on AM 830, and on Monday he spent most of his show asking whether it was time to say the Angels won't make the playoffs this season.  Gee.....I don't know....they're only about 13 Games out of the 2nd Wild Card spot with a month to go.  But he's a homer, hired by the flagship station to drive up enthusiasm even when there's zero chance of changing the inevitable.

I expect to come here in November, when the Ducks have single digits in points, and see Mooseduck posting about how it's still possible to turn things around.  Heck, he even eventually jumped onboard the Dump Carlyle bandwagon last season.

We've been season seat holders since Day 1, so we're always pulling for the Ducks to excel.  But honestly, after the 2017-18 Season, and especially after the 2018-19 Season, I have seen no effort from Ownership or Management to make me think anything other than the team is merely going through the motions.  I have very low expectations for the upcoming season, and I just don't see how we intend to keep up with some of the other clubs that have improved their rosters over the past couple of years.  I really foresee another sub-90 point result, but hope that I'm wrong.

Thank You Cool for your honest Opinion....and i know as we are all Ducks Fans we agree to disagree on this team...btw I am not a Chicago Cubs Fan...I am Angels Fan too....Rehiring RC was mistake...Big one due in part of Bob fearing he would be Fired.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Well, in defense of Moose...

I remember back in 06-07.  Throughout the whole season there were posts about how stupid the owners were, how stupid the GM was and how stupid the coach was, etc etc.  And if we didn't make such-and-such blockbuster trade we'd NEVER make the playoffs.  Anyone remember how that season ended?  And Moose was there then, just like now - always optimistic.  We need someone like Moose to balance out all the negative Nancys on the board.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Belarus said:

Well, in defense of Moose...

I remember back in 06-07.  Throughout the whole season there were posts about how stupid the owners were, how stupid the GM was and how stupid the coach was, etc etc.  And if we didn't make such-and-such blockbuster trade we'd NEVER make the playoffs.  Anyone remember how that season ended?  And Moose was there then, just like now - always optimistic.  We need someone like Moose to balance out all the negative Nancys on the board.

Guys hold on for a second Kesler is sideline with a tune up. after 13 games he can go on LIR once that happens the 6.5 mil get off the books, at that time  make a move or not. 

T-minus 35 Days till our Ducks are unleashed....Let's be honest Injection of Youth will bring some hopefully a spark in the team. And imho This team can surprise us all once Puck Drop on Oct3rd. I am making plans to be there and see this team in person.. I want to see how this team is different then prior Edition of the Ducks.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Looks like Jill Painter Lopez won't be back behind the bench interviewing players. Ducks have hired Alyson Lozoff (formerly with VGK).

There's some news.  😝

Edited by dukitup
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, dukitup said:

Looks like Jill Painter Lopez won't be back behind the bench interviewing players. Ducks have hired Alyson Lozoff (formerly with VGK).

There's some news.  😝

not sure if true.  we had jill and another last year.... so unclear who gets the boot.

kinda hoping she replaces smooth jazz.  she has more hockey experience than he does, so....

Edited by Fisix

11 hours ago, dukitup said:

There's some news.  😝

Read about that on Twitter....guess she is moving on.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

13 hours ago, dukitup said:

There's some news.  😝

Aw that sucks. She was one of the few within the entire organization that actually improved at their job during the season. I guess it's fitting since we also lost Cogliano who was pretty much our designated spokesman whenever the Ducks had an awful period where they got outshot 17-4. Those two were practically inseparable during first intermissions over the last couple of years. 

15 hours ago, Fisix said:

not sure if true.  we had jill and another last year.... so unclear who gets the boot.

kinda hoping she replaces smooth jazz.  she has more hockey experience than he does, so....

From the tweets back and forth, Jill Painter mentioned she's still with Fox Sports, but not definitive in what capacity. If still with the Ducks, I "assume" she would have said so.

2 hours ago, ike-1 said:

They switch interview people almost every year it seems.

i used to like that one really short girl that had to stand on a crate to interview the players. They should bring her back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Yes, indeed it must be THE MOST boring off-season if the Ducks fans start discussing the administrative stuff of this team.

I remember well as many of us do....there were other Boring Off seasons int he Past...Often Ducks stand pat but trade for minor deals which is typical of their character.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

19 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Yes, indeed it must be THE MOST boring off-season if the Ducks fans start discussing the administrative stuff of this team.

Well, I just checked out the Ducks reddit page and they were discussing some twitter rumor that the Ducks have been/are pushing to try and trade for Patrik Laine. We can discuss that for a week until the Rookie Tournament kicks off next Saturday lol

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Well, I just checked out the Ducks reddit page and they were discussing some twitter rumor that the Ducks have been/are pushing to try and trade for Patrik Laine. We can discuss that for a week until the Rookie Tournament kicks off next Saturday lol

Well Rumors are rumors and imho Ducks getting Patrick Laine would be as I say again HUGE......btw T-Minus 33 Days till our Ducks are UNLEASHED upon the NHL.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Nice gimme this now. Laine is gonna be a monster once he grows out of his video games + pizza + mountain dew all night phase. He basically half-assed the entire season and still ended up with 30 goals. That's already better than anything we've got and he's not even close to reaching his full potential. A trade might be the kick in the butt he needs. If history is any indication, we should be rubbing our hands together in anticipation anytime Winnipeg is thinking about giving up a Finnish goal scoring prodigy. 

• Like 3