The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
SteveinTamarindo

Most Boring Off-Season Ever?

14 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Faulk has a partial NTC — which lists the Ducks — and it is believed ANA wishes to pursue an extension. No one will comment on the likelihood of it occurring, but it has been intensely discussed

Got it. So, there's no deal unless he agree to waive his NTC for the Ducks or if they can't agree to an extension. Of course, the bigger intrigue is what we would send to Carolina. They need to clear cap space, so it looks like a pick/prospect combo would be involved. I'm nervous lol

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

Justin Faulk? Hm... $6 mil salary, and next season he'll demand more. It means forget about slim chances of pursuing Patrick Laine or Mitch Marner. The Ducks have a lot of good players, but no true FRANCHISE player, for the first time since inaugural 1993 season. It bothers me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Justin Faulk? Hm... $6 mil salary, and next season he'll demand more. It means forget about slim chances of pursuing Patrick Laine or Mitch Marner. The Ducks have a lot of good players, but no true FRANCHISE player, for the first time since inaugural 1993 season. It bothers me.

We still have Getzlaf....and I believe in 03-04 we didn't really have anyone either.

But I also get your point...you're meaning like young, current face/obvious future face.

EDIT: also wanted to add, is Faulk worth that $6mil/whatever extension he gets? Could be this move with Faulk will be freeing up some other players to be traded to make room for the very unlikely grab of Laine or Marner? Where would Faulk land in our depth chart? I'm not super familiar with him.

Edited by Jasoaks

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Elliott’s Friedman is reporting that the Ducks are in talks with Carolina regarding Justin Faulk. Interesting wrinkles are that the Ducks could be on his NTC list and he’d need an extension after this season

Reposting my comment from June in the Coach/Lines 2019-20 thread here: 

However, I've also been reading that Carolina may need to move one of Hamilton, Faulk or Pesce - all RHDs currently making over $4M/season. Pesce might be the most interesting because he's still only 24 and is still improving (7G last season even though he's stuck on a 3rd pairing behind Hamilton and Faulk). He is also cost-controlled because he's locked up for 5 more years at $4.05M/season. From what I saw of Pesce in the playoffs, I think  he'd be a solid 2nd pair guy for us. But that said, maybe it's time for GMBM to swing for the fences with either Hamilton or Faulk, both of whom are capable of 15+ goals. I don't know if GMBM has a relationship with GM Waddell such that they could hammer something out, but GMBM may have some connections to their Senior VP of Hockey Ops, Rick Dudley, who was an Assistant GM to GMBM's very close friend (and former defense partner) Marc Bergevin in Montreal, so its conceivable that they've spent some time together at the executive meetings over the years. Regardless, Carolina seems like they'd be a natural trade partner for the Ducks. First, there's zero rivalry there, so its akin to us trading with the Devils or Pens (which we've done a lot of). Second, they need LHDs and forwards and the Ducks have a lot of LHDs and forwards, so it would seem like they'd be interested in shopping our roster as well.

I was hoping for Pesce, but if GMBM can get the NTC waived and a reasonably-priced extension in place, Faulk makes a ton of sense for Anaheim. He and Fowler were also both on the US Olympic team together in 2014, and though I don't remember them playing together, you'd assume that they at least got to know each other a little during that experience, so they could make for a solid pairing. The main concern is the next contract though. Trouba's 7 x $8M has re-calibrated the market for RHDs who can score. I want Faulk, but not for $8M/season. Probably not even $7M/season.

Edited by dtsdlaw

Side note on the Faulk rumors: I just looked at their roster and the Hurricanes have only ONE forward on their current roster that is a right-shot, and that one guy is Martin Necas, a 20-year-old with only 8 games of NHL experience. Think they could use another right-shot in their lineup?

Meanwhile, the Ducks have more right-shot forwards than they know what to do with....

3 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

We still have Getzlaf....and I believe in 03-04 we didn't really have anyone either.

But I also get your point...you're meaning like young, current face/obvious future face.

EDIT: also wanted to add, is Faulk worth that $6mil/whatever extension he gets? Could be this move with Faulk will be freeing up some other players to be traded to make room for the very unlikely grab of Laine or Marner? Where would Faulk land in our depth chart? I'm not super familiar with him.

He'd be on our top-4 and likely paired with Fowler. As mentioned above, they played together in the Olympics. He's a right-handed shot that can QB the PP which Murray has specifically mentioned as a top need for the team.

3 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Reposted here: 

I was hoping for Pesce, but if GMBM can get the NTC waived and an reasonably-priced extension in place, Faulk makes a ton of sense for Anaheim. He and Fowler were also both on the US Olympic team together in 2014, and though I don't remember them playing together, you'd assume that they at least got to know each other a little during that experience, so they could make for a solid pairing. The main concern is the next contract though. Trouba's 7 x $8M has re-calibrated the market for RHDs who can score. I want Faulk, but not for $8M/season. Probably not even $7M/season.

Pesce would have been my preference, too. I guess Faulk being a UFA next season and commanding more term, money while being older than Pesce makes him the most likely guy to be shipped out of Carolina. The length and the term of his contract make a little nervous (especially at 6.5 -7 mil per) but even more so is what we would have to give up for him. If Carolina is asking for a first-round pick and a prospect like Jones, Comtois or Terry, then I think it's a step backwards in the long-term. Sprong + 2nd round pick then I'd be absolutely fine with it lol

This is making me a little nervous. Faulk isn’t worth a long-term extension at $7m or more per year, and on top of that he’s going to cost assets in a trade. 

1 hour ago, Spencer_12 said:

This is making me a little nervous. Faulk isn’t worth a long-term extension at $7m or more per year, and on top of that he’s going to cost assets in a trade. 

I don't know Faulk....but I can't imagine he's worth losing Kase over....I could see BM looking at it as a "trading a 7th rounder with some injury history for a solid top-4 RHD is worth it" I mean, a player with concession (whoops! autocorrect, meant concussion...not talking Ritchie here :P ) history is a liability...especially a small player that plays with the speed and intensity and isn't afraid to go in the tough areas like kase...I mean...from that perspective I could see where BM would think this is a worthwhile risk...but I dunno....Kase has what this team needs...

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

He'd be on our top-4 and likely paired with Fowler. As mentioned above, they played together in the Olympics. He's a right-handed shot that can QB the PP which Murray has specifically mentioned as a top need for the team.

Pesce would have been my preference, too. I guess Faulk being a UFA next season and commanding more term, money while being older than Pesce makes him the most likely guy to be shipped out of Carolina. The length and the term of his contract make a little nervous (especially at 6.5 -7 mil per) but even more so is what we would have to give up for him. If Carolina is asking for a first-round pick and a prospect like Jones, Comtois or Terry, then I think it's a step backwards in the long-term. Sprong + 2nd round pick then I'd be absolutely fine with it lol

yeah, same haha

Edited by Jasoaks

FFS

Well, if his 15-team list doesn't already include the Ducks....what would change now? I guess extension talks? But why extend with a team that's not on his list? The best thing I could see enticing him is that he'd get away from the real Hurricanes lol....and maybe BM is really pushing that Laine rumor :P

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Reposting my comment from June in the Coach/Lines 2019-20 thread here: 

I was hoping for Pesce, but if GMBM can get the NTC waived and a reasonably-priced extension in place, Faulk makes a ton of sense for Anaheim. He and Fowler were also both on the US Olympic team together in 2014, and though I don't remember them playing together, you'd assume that they at least got to know each other a little during that experience, so they could make for a solid pairing. The main concern is the next contract though. Trouba's 7 x $8M has re-calibrated the market for RHDs who can score. I want Faulk, but not for $8M/season. Probably not even $7M/season.

From memory I'm pretty sure they were paired together at the Olympics and looked solid together.

Edited by nieder

3 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Uh, Gibson?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Well, if his 15-team list doesn't already include the Ducks....what would change now? I guess extension talks? But why extend with a team that's not on his list? The best thing I could see enticing him is that he'd get away from the real Hurricanes lol....and maybe BM is really pushing that Laine rumor :P

My understanding is that players usually designate their NTC teams at the start of each season (please someone correct me if I have that wrong) and, if true, maybe Friedman has Faulk's 15-team NTC list was submitted to management last October when RC was still here.

Edit: Actually, the more I read the more it sounds like that list is submitted on July 1st. I'm also reading that most players put teams in places with the highest tax rates on their NTC lists so that they won't get screwed out of any $$$ by a trade. That said, I'm sure Faulk and his agent would take California's tax rate into consideration when negotiating an extension (which would probably be required by GMBM before making a deal).

Edited by dtsdlaw

FFS

I also heard Kase was the target from another source this afternoon. Sounds like he's the guy. Which I don't like.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pazonator said:

I’ll be pretty upset if Kase is traded. He is the spark plug the team needs. 

His possession stats are great. Kase drives offense unlike most of the forwards on this team. The one worry is likely his injury history - if Kase gets another concussion this season his career could be in jeopardy. Not to mention his trade value would go way down.

5 minutes ago, nieder said:

His possession stats are great. Kase drives offense unlike most of the forwards on this team. The one worry is likely his injury history - if Kase gets another concussion this season his career could be in jeopardy. Not to mention his trade value would go way down.

I would honestly prefer to trade Terry over trading Kase.

3 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

What's different from last season? Aside from Perry being gone? And Perry hasn't been a franchise player since 2015-16. 

14 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah, I think the only thing that would change it is if the Ducks offer him more money/term than he thinks he could get as a UFA next year. He also has to want to come to Anaheim while we are rebuilding. Those things drive up the cost of his contract and Faulk has all of the leverage. I can see him getting Cam Fowler type money (6.5 mil per) before he even plays a game with the Ducks. When was the last time Murray did something like that? He'd have to be so high (figuratively, and possible literally) to have that much faith Faulk while also trading Kase in the process.

2 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

My understanding is that players usually designate their NTC teams at the start of each season (please someone correct me if I have that wrong) and, if true, maybe Friedman has Faulk's 15-team NTC list was submitted to management last October when RC was still here.

Yeah, that's usually how it's done. Though, I'm not sure when Faulk submitted his most recent 15-team list.

9 minutes ago, nieder said:

I think that the Athletic ranked Kase as being the #1 breakout candidate of the entire NHL this season. He's an analytics favorite and after Rakell, the best and most versatile goal scorer on the Ducks. Murray is plugging a huge hole on the RHD and creating another huge one in the goal scoring department which we are one if not the worst teams in the NHL. If he does get moved, then watch him put up 30-goals a la Palmieri 

24 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Edit: Actually, the more I read the more it sounds like that list is submitted on July 1st. I'm also reading that most players put teams in places with the highest tax rates on their NTC lists so that they won't get screwed out of any $$$ by a trade. That said, I'm sure Faulk and his agent would take California's tax rate into consideration when negotiating an extension (which would probably be required by GMBM before making a deal).

ohhhh fascinating. i guess i never thought they would prioritize something like that, but it makes a lot of sense. i'm sure most of these guys want to just play the sport they grew up loving and want to get paid well for it and couldn't really careless what the team is at this point...unless it's like a true basement dweller like....Ottawa....or if they just want to get that stanley cup...

2 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, I think the only thing that would change it is if the Ducks offer him more money/term than he thinks he could get as a UFA next year. He also has to want to come to Anaheim while we are rebuilding. Those things drive up the cost of his contract and Faulk has all of the leverage. I can see him getting Cam Fowler type money (6.5 mil per) before he even plays a game with the Ducks. When was the last time Murray did something like that? He'd have to be so high (figuratively, and possible literally) to have that much faith Faulk while also trading Kase in the process.

Yeah, that's usually how it's done. Though, I'm not sure when Faulk submitted his most recent 15-team list.

I think that the Athletic ranked Kase as being the #1 breakout candidate of the entire NHL this season. He's an analytics favorite and after Rakell, the best and most versatile goal scorer on the Ducks. Murray is plugging a huge hole on the RHD and creating another huge one in the goal scoring department which we are one if not the worst teams in the NHL. If he does get moved, then watch him put up 30-goals a la Palmieri 

yeah, i see, i see...i really hope we don't lose Kase...in any way. injury or trade. he excelled even with the heavy sandbags of the RC system (or whatever was going on last year)...he still flourished.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

I don't think the Ducks have any chance of getting Laine unless Selanne were to get involved. ONE MORE YEAR! 😎

• Like 1

Faulk is good but I really don't like the idea of moving Kase for him. He's easily the most fun player we have right now. I want to see what he can do with a new system before exploring trade options. I think his injury troubles have a lot to do with him being one of the only forwards under Carlyle who was constantly willing to skate the puck in himself making him an easy target. Give him a more structured environment and I feel like he'd be a lot more durable. 

• Like 1

@prohockeyrumors
The Ducks and Canes seemed close on a Faulk trade, but talks have apparently stalled, with the defenseman's no-trade clause possibly playing a role

5 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

yeah, i see, i see...i really hope we don't lose Kase...in any way. injury or trade. he excelled even with the heavy sandbags of the RC system (or whatever was going on last year)...he still flourished.

I have a hard time believing Kase would be moved for a pending UFA. If we look to the Trouba trade for comparison, it’s probably something more like Larsson + Sprong + conditional 2nd.

I love me some Kase. He's a joy to watch and he can be a difference maker but his injury history is really concerning. If BM trades him and Kase stays healthy we'll be on the losing end of a lot of trades (including the rumored Faulk one). Everybody will be mad at BM (rightfully so). But if BM keeps Kase and he becomes the next Patrick Eaves we'll regret it too. Tough spot.

8 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I have a hard time believing Kase would be moved for a pending UFA. If we look to the Trouba trade for comparison, it’s probably something more like Larsson + Sprong + conditional 2nd.

You give me hope!! I'd take that trade for sure!

• Like 1