The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
SteveinTamarindo

Most Boring Off-Season Ever?

23 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I'm not as done on Fowler...but he's treading on thin ice on a short leash with me this season...willing to give RC the reason for his play...want to see him go to a new level...a level I feel we've gotten rare flashes of.

I don't think it's about being done with him, it's about where the team's depth ends up over the next two years. It sounds like GMBM wants Fowler to try the right side this coming season, but if he doesn't work out there then the team will have to take a serious look at the LD depth chart and decide who should stay and who they can move on from. As of now, our left side depth is Lindholm, Fowler, Guehle, Larsson, and Mahura (and Benoit?), while our RD depth is pitiful. So if Larsson, Guehle and Mahura evolve into legit NHLers, there's going to be more Perry-esque tough decisions to be made. And with Fowler approaching 30 when the ED rolls around, you'd expect that the team will take a hard look at where they are in this rebuild re-tool and decide what they can get for whom in a trade before the ED freeze puts them in another bad spot.

3 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

I would not like losing Kase, but if the Ducks can land Faulk with a contract extension already in place than it would worth it. Kase's injury could take away that fearlessness that made him so effective. If there is no extension then  Murray would be an idiot to trade anything more than prospects or picks.

If the Ducks  do acquire Faulk with a multi year deal in place the question becomes which current defenseman is left unprotected at the Seattle expansion draft. Most likely Manson but with Murray you never know.

4. Anaheim and Carolina have a deal in principle, and it is now Justin Faulk’s decision. The Raleigh News & Observer’s Luke DeCock reported Ondrej Kase is part of the return, and he’s someone the Hurricanes tried to acquire last season. The Ducks are on Faulk’s no-trade list, and the two sides are trying to hammer out an extension. Faulk makes $6 million in salary this season, and while he’s not going to reach Jacob Trouba territory, that contract raised the bar for the field. You have to think he’s targeting $6.5 to $7 million. The Ducks appear willing to make the move without any long-term security at this time. At the very least, Faulk has to see the writing on the wall in Carolina. You never know how life will go, but, on paper, it’s not ideal for a player heading into free agency. 

6. A few teams expressed surprise with the reports about Kase. He’s not someone who was available for a long time. Anaheim must be concerned about his health. 

@icemancometh Ondrej Kase is skating with #NHLDucks in their "informal" practice. As he should be -- for now. Just so y'all know.
Edited by DuckFan4Life

4 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Maybe I'm biased and too hopeful and crazy...but I was looking at Kase as the 17-18 William Karlsson of the 19-20 season. A crazy good break-out year that is probably going to be unsustainable as a career, and then a drop off the next year as he comes back down to earth...but his 19-20 season is going to be EPIC

I think he’s going to have a career year also and then Murray would have to start thinking about his next contract. Murray must think that the right side is so bleak that he’s willing to trade Kase to get it. This trade isn’t one that you make if you are in a rebuild (we are in one, not a retool). It’s one you make if you think you can make the playoffs by adding Faulk. Making the playoffs this year is in the long term detriment of the team, but Murray’s also under pressure and may not care that far down the line. It’s being reported that the Ducks would do the trade even without an extension for Faulk and the only thing holding it up is Faulk. 

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think he’s going to have a career year also and then Murray would have to start thinking about his next contract. Murray must think that the right side is so bleak that he’s willing to trade Kase to get it. This trade isn’t one that you make if you are in a rebuild (we are in one, not a retool). It’s one you make if you think you can make the playoffs by adding Faulk. Making the playoffs this year is in the long term detriment of the team, but Murray’s also under pressure and may not care that far down the line. It’s being reported that the Ducks would do the trade even without an extension for Faulk and the only thing holding it up is Faulk. 

Here’s where it gets dicey. All of the info about this potential trade is coming from somewhere other than the Ducks organization. Our front office gives away nothing so it’s really hard to know what’s true and what is pure wishing by the other team’s beat writer.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Here’s where it gets dicey. All of the info about this potential trade is coming from somewhere other than the Ducks organization. Our front office gives away nothing so it’s really hard to know what’s true and what is pure wishing by the other team’s beat writer.

Maybe to get other teams interested and up the ante?

Latest On Justin Faulk Trade Talks

SEPTEMBER 10, 2019 AT 4:44 PM CDT | BY GAVIN LEE LEAVE A COMMENT

Though several reports have come out that there is trade on the table between the Anaheim Ducks and Carolina Hurricanes revolving around Justin Faulk, the deal still hasn’t been finalized thanks to a no-trade clause and extension talks. An extension hasn’t yet been reached, the Hurricanes defender can block a deal to Anaheim if he chooses, and according to Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic other teams have now increased their interest in trying and add the offensive-minded Faulk. Those teams include ones that would not require Faulk to waive his 15-team no-trade clause, though LeBrun doesn’t give any indication of who they may be.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

At least it gives us a reason to break out the popcorn and beer and watch the circus come to town.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Though several reports have come out that there is trade on the table between the Anaheim Ducks and Carolina Hurricanes revolving around Justin Faulk, the deal still hasn’t been finalized thanks to a no-trade clause and extension talks. An extension hasn’t yet been reached, the Hurricanes defender can block a deal to Anaheim if he chooses, and according to Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic other teams have now increased their interest in trying and add the offensive-minded Faulk. Those teams include ones that would not require Faulk to waive his 15-team no-trade clause, though LeBrun doesn’t give any indication of who they may be.

Things are heating up abit.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

If we trade Kase without an extension in place for Faulk , that’s it for GMBM, for me at least . I don’t like where this is heading , that is if any of it is true. #dontdoit 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yeaitsme said:

If we trade Kase without an extension in place for Faulk , that’s it for GMBM, for me at least . I don’t like where this is heading , that is if any of it is true. #dontdoit 

Well, it sounds like Faulk doesn't want to come here UNLESS there is an extension, but I mean, it appears Bob was OK with whatever this trade is/was without the extension...so even if the extension happens, we can basically look at what the trade was and see that Bob was willing to give up this for a rental essentially.

I'd pretty upset with losing Kase in general...but especially without the extension, yeah

Edited by Jasoaks

24 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Well, it sounds like Faulk doesn't want to come here UNLESS there is an extension, but I mean, it appears Bob was OK with whatever this trade is/was without the extension...so even if the extension happens, we can basically look at what the trade was and see that Bob was willing to give up this for a rental essentially.

I'd pretty upset with losing Kase in general...but especially without the extension, yeah

An extension could look ugly, too lol. Faulk is going to be looking for Fowler type money on his next deal. I’d rather move Kase for a first round pick + than a for a potential rental player who has a 15 team NTC that can limit his value at the deadline.

Let’s just embrace the rebuild and let’s go through the growing pains this season. Commit to it like the Rangers did and the future will be brighter. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

This could definitely be it. I was wondering if maybe Faulk nixed the trade from the get-go, and that now it’s just about playing the Ducks (alleged) offer against what other teams are offering to up the ante. The claims that Kase is a part of a potential deal may just be a ruse by Waddell to regain some leverage in the trade market that he clearly lost when he signed Gardiner and Priskie.

9 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

An extension could look ugly, too lol. Faulk is going to be looking for Fowler type money on his next deal. I’d rather move Kase for a first round pick + than a for a potential rental player who has a 15 team NTC that can limit his value at the deadline.

Let’s just embrace the rebuild and let’s go through the growing pains this season. Commit to it like the Rangers did and the future will be brighter. 

Rebuilding is easier if you're the rangers. If they suck, fans will keep coming. If The Ducks do it fans will stay away and so will the money. We can't afford it.

On top of that players like Trouba and Panarin want to sign in NY. That helps when you're rebuilding. They don't want to sign in Anaheim.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Rebuilding is easier if you're the rangers. If they suck, fans will keep coming. If The Ducks do it fans will stay away and so will the money. We can't afford it.

On top of that players like Trouba and Panarin want to sign in NY. That helps when you're rebuilding. They don't want to sign in Anaheim.

The Rangers fully committed to a rebuild though, they leveled with their fans and now are on the come up with an extremely bright future. They still had to have the money and assets to get Trouba and sign Panarin. It’s not like those guys took team friendly deals to play in New York either. I’m sure getting a player like Kakko and seeing the quality of players in their system also gave them confidence to sign there and think that they will be contenders soon and good for a long time. Ask the Knicks about everyone wanting to play in New York just because lol.

Every franchise goes through periods where they suck. It’s inevitable and fans generally understand the Ducks state of affairs and know there is no quick or easy fix. When you think that there is is when you’re going to end up wasting time and go nowhere. I think that fans just want to know what the plan is to turn things around and become a team who can win a Cup. Then, believe management can pull it off. There’s some excitement around seeing this team next year with a coach that is not Randy and some of the young guys coming up. Zegras will only add to that. Imagine the foundation the Ducks will have with another top 10 or 5 pick next summer. That’s what we need to build which is why I preach patience and think last season was the worst of it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The Rangers fully committed to a rebuild though, they leveled with their fans and now are on the come up with an extremely bright future. They still had to have the money and assets to get Trouba and sign Panarin. It’s not like those guys took team friendly deals to play in New York either. I’m sure getting a player like Kakko and seeing the quality of players in their system also gave them confidence to sign there and think that they will be contenders soon and good for a long time. Ask the Knicks about everyone wanting to play in New York just because lol.

Every franchise goes through periods where they suck. It’s inevitable and fans generally understand the Ducks state of affairs and know there is no quick or easy fix. When you think that there is is when you’re going to end up wasting time and go nowhere. I think that fans just want to know what the plan is to turn things around and become a team who can win a Cup. Then, believe management can pull it off. There’s some excitement around seeing this team next year with a coach that is not Randy and some of the young guys coming up. Zegras will only add to that. Imagine the foundation the Ducks will have with another top 10 or 5 pick next summer. That’s what we need to build which is why I preach patience and think last season was the worst of it.

Yeah, but the Rangers biggest glaring issue is they don't have Lundqvist for much longer...he's probably declining as a goalie...still good, but declining. And I don't believe they really have someone in the wings ready to take over. They timed their rebuild too late (or too soon). Unless they can grab a real high caliber goalie...they'll be a good team on the rise and be solid that wont get far in the playoffs and will be stuck in Shark purgatory with Predators.

But I am a firm believer in you build your team from the goalie up. You want your all-star starter to be growing with the team in front of it. The Rangers best chances of a cup with where they are headed is if they get lucky with a rookie goalie (i.e. Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Carolina) or they make a blockbuster trade to get one...or get lucky in FA.

EDIT: I guess Chicago is a good example of a team that didn't need an all-star goalie/rookie wonder to win 3 cups. But their D was stacked and Toews/Kane were beasts.

Edited by Jasoaks

by the End of the Week our Ducks may  pull off a Trade to Strengthen our Ducks....We know well This team is weak on the Right Side Defence.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

There are many rumors surrounding the Ducks these days. From Justin Faulk to Dion Phaneuf to Patrik Laine (yes, that Patrik Laine) our @icemancometh gave his take on all the conjecture around the team in his live Q&A.

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

This is the big key. The Rangers were fully 100% committed to it, so they were willing to trade "face of the franchise" players like McDonagh and Nash to get significant pieces for the rebuild. The equivalent in Anaheim would have been trading Getzlaf, Fowler, Rakell, and others last summer after being swept in the first round by San Jose. GMBM would never be willing to do that though. Nor should he... at least with respect to Getzlaf and Rakell.

21 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

This is the big key. The Rangers were fully 100% committed to it, so they were willing to trade "face of the franchise" players like McDonagh and Nash to get significant pieces for the rebuild. The equivalent in Anaheim would have been trading Getzlaf, Fowler, Rakell, and others last summer after being swept in the first round by San Jose. GMBM would never be willing to do that though. Nor should he... at least with respect to Getzlaf and Rakell.

I dunno, I'd say fully committing is trading away Lundqvist. He's definitely the biggest face of the franchise right now, but he's aging. And probably wont be the goalie he used to be. And he wont be the goalie they need him to be when their rebuild in front of him is up and in full swing. I don't know what their goalie depth is like though....

30 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I dunno, I'd say fully committing is trading away Lundqvist. He's definitely the biggest face of the franchise right now, but he's aging. And probably wont be the goalie he used to be. And he wont be the goalie they need him to be when their rebuild in front of him is up and in full swing. I don't know what their goalie depth is like though....

What's the going rate for a 37-year-old netminder who has an $8.5M cap hit? 

When I mentioned "face of the franchise" players I meant guys who were both cornerstones of the Rangers team AND guys who have legit trade value (like 15, 4 and 67 do with Anaheim). Since being eliminated by Ottawa in the 2nd round of the 2017 playoffs, the Rangers have traded away Rick Nash, Ryan McDonagh, Mats Zuccarello, Kevin Hayes, Derek Stepan, Antti Raanta, and Michael Grabner, and in the process have accumulated 4 first round picks + 2 second round picks + several solid prospects like Howden, Hajek and Lindgren. THAT's fully committing to a rebuild. The Rangers trading Lundqvist would have been like Anaheim trying to trade Perry - i.e. difficult, if not impossible without taking a bad contract back or retaining 1/2 of his salary, and certainly not something you could do to get significant pieces for a rebuild.

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

There are many rumors surrounding the Ducks these days. From Justin Faulk to Dion Phaneuf to Patrik Laine (yes, that Patrik Laine) our @icemancometh gave his take on all the conjecture around the team in his live Q&A.

I just want a Trade to be official....Ducks know they are incomplete and Bob knows his job is at stake.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

41 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

When I mentioned "face of the franchise" players I meant guys who were both cornerstones of the Rangers team AND guys who have legit trade value (like 15, 4 and 67 do with Anaheim). Since being eliminated by Ottawa in the 2nd round of the 2017 playoffs, the Rangers have traded away Rick Nash, Ryan McDonagh, Mats Zuccarello, Kevin Hayes, Derek Stepan, Antti Raanta, and Michael Grabner, and in the process have accumulated 4 first round picks + 2 second round picks + several solid prospects like Howden, Hajek and Lindgren. THAT's fully committing to a rebuild. The Rangers trading Lundqvist would have been like Anaheim trying to trade Perry - i.e. difficult, if not impossible without taking a bad contract back or retaining 1/2 of his salary, and certainly not something you could do to get significant pieces for a rebuild.

haha good point.

And yeah, you're right those are a lot of big players. And they got some great stuff in return. So I mean, yeah they are committing...but...I just feel it's not going to really result in what they want. I guess it's probably better to do than NOT, they are in a better position for doing so. But I'm more trying to play devil's advocate with looking at the much bigger picture...winning the cup. Is a rebuild like that worth it if you're still stuck with an aging goalie? Will the rebuild pay off? What is the likelihood it does?

I'm trying to look at it all from a further perspective...looking at the ultimate goal. similarly to looking back at the Joe Thornton trade from Boston to San Jose...arguably San Jose won that trade hands down. BUT....looking at the ultimate goal... Boston has 1 cup and 2 finals appearances since that trade....San Jose has one finals appearance. Maybe Boston lost the trade...but if I were Boston, give me a Cup instead of a cup-less Joe Thornton for his entire career. I'm sure San Jose would feel the same way. If there was a way to know, and San Jose could be told don't make the Joe Thornton trade and you'll have a Stanley Cup. I bet they take that.

Now that it is common knowledge that Carolina and Faulk are parting ways other teams are making offers. Since no deal between Carolina and Anaheim has been made official, the Ducks may be on the losing end of this. AGAIN.

1 hour ago, Shadowduck said:

Now that it is common knowledge that Carolina and Faulk are parting ways other teams are making offers. Since no deal between Carolina and Anaheim has been made official, the Ducks may be on the losing end of this. AGAIN.

Hope your wrong but this is taking for a while patience is wearing thin on many.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

I think some would argue if the trade GOES THROUGH we'd be on the losing end of this....but it not going through may be a blessing in disguise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

haha good point.

And yeah, you're right those are a lot of big players. And they got some great stuff in return. So I mean, yeah they are committing...but...I just feel it's not going to really result in what they want. I guess it's probably better to do than NOT, they are in a better position for doing so. But I'm more trying to play devil's advocate with looking at the much bigger picture...winning the cup. Is a rebuild like that worth it if you're still stuck with an aging goalie? Will the rebuild pay off? What is the likelihood it does?

I'm trying to look at it all from a further perspective...looking at the ultimate goal. similarly to looking back at the Joe Thornton trade from Boston to San Jose...arguably San Jose won that trade hands down. BUT....looking at the ultimate goal... Boston has 1 cup and 2 finals appearances since that trade....San Jose has one finals appearance. Maybe Boston lost the trade...but if I were Boston, give me a Cup instead of a cup-less Joe Thornton for his entire career. I'm sure San Jose would feel the same way. If there was a way to know, and San Jose could be told don't make the Joe Thornton trade and you'll have a Stanley Cup. I bet they take that.

Yeah, the Rangers didn’t have much of a choice. They chased a Cup, gave up assets and had to rebuild either with or without Lundqvist and his contract. I think they’ve done a great job turning the franchise around. Gibson should have a lot of good years left in him to where he can be the backstop to a Cup. 

To bring it back to the Ducks, trading Kase for Faulk is problematic because it seems like Murray is trying to make the playoffs. He obviously thinks that the Ducks are better with Faulk than with Kase. Why do that now when the team needs to rebuild? Say the team makes the playoffs next year (they aren’t winning the Cup) or gets just misses out. All that does is hurt the Ducks draft position at a time when they still need another high pick. It would be the same situation as last year and even in 2018. 

Murray said last season that there’s a difference between playoff teams and contending teams. He’s absolutely right and I hope that he stays patient through this year and stays on a rebuild/development path than trying to actively compete for a playoff spot.

44 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, the Rangers didn’t have much of a choice. They chased a Cup, gave up assets and had to rebuild either with or without Lundqvist and his contract. I think they’ve done a great job turning the franchise around. Gibson should have a lot of good years left in him to where he can be the backstop to a Cup. 

To bring it back to the Ducks, trading Kase for Faulk is problematic because it seems like Murray is trying to make the playoffs. He obviously thinks that the Ducks are better with Faulk than with Kase. Why do that now when the team needs to rebuild? Say the team makes the playoffs next year (they aren’t winning the Cup) or gets just misses out. All that does is hurt the Ducks draft position at a time when they still need another high pick. It would be the same situation as last year and even in 2018. 

Murray said last season that there’s a difference between playoff teams and contending teams. He’s absolutely right and I hope that he stays patient through this year and stays on a rebuild/development path than trying to actively compete for a playoff spot.

Face it as long as BM and Nonis are in Anaheim we will be a contending team. 

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Sure but you could also argue they got lucky with kakko. That alone has progressed their rebuild by light years. And what if they happened to draft yakupov? They got lucky they pulled that pick. 

I'm not sure, and there are many teams that show this, that starting from scratch means you can have a successful rebuild. Even if we pull Edmonton aside and say that was management. I just don't think we can pull that off is what I'm saying. 

47 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

Sure but you could also argue they got lucky with kakko. That alone has progressed their rebuild by light years. And what if they happened to draft yakupov? They got lucky they pulled that pick. 

I'm not sure, and there are many teams that show this, that starting from scratch means you can have a successful rebuild. Even if we pull Edmonton aside and say that was management. I just don't think we can pull that off is what I'm saying. 

I agree. Luck is definitely involved in winning the draft lottery regardless of the team, but you generally need at least a player of that caliber to build the foundation to a contending team. I'd say Yakupov is an outlier and that 2012 draft was in general. Murray, Galchenyuk, Reinhart and Reilly rounded out the top-5 that year. Chicago, LA, and Pittsburgh were all bad for a while which allowed them to get the players that they needed to be the core of their Cup teams. Same with Tampa Bay and Toronto. Vegas is a once in million years exception. Do we have to be awful for 5 + years to contend again? Or tear everything down? Not necessarily. If we land in the top-5 next year, I think our rebuild could be sped up exponentially. That and we have some good players in our system, along with John Gibson in goal. We still need another elite level prospect and management has to add a piece or two in the trade market but there is a path for the Ducks to pull off a 2-4 year rebuild. It's going to take a bit more of struggling though.

6 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I agree with this. And I think that was good he didn't go after Erik Karlsson. I can't imagine him thinking giving up Kase for a rental (or long term) with Faulk is a good idea unless he truly is concerned with the concussions and doesn't want to risk it.

I do want to bring it back to goaltending though...we have arguably the best goaltending tandem in the league. That's not something to scoff at. And if you have a competent forward group with skill, and a good system in place the players/management believe in, and we have a top-3 D that have shown they ALL can play hockey...possibly showing that last season was a fluke for our D...we make the playoffs...with that goalie tandem...whose to say we can't make a run??

I think this Ducks team right now is a wild card. I just could see us go either way. If things gel early...and the kids take a good step forward...and we stay relatively healthy...we could be dangerous THIS season. We could also just as easily take some time to gel, or the kids don't take a big step etc...and we have another season of pain.

To me, the Ducks right now are a team with no expectation but a lot of potential.

Edited by Jasoaks

14 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

All those players you mention were not to the rangers what Getzlaf is to our Ducks. Us trading Getzlaf would be like Pittsburgh trading Crosby. Trading Rakell would be dumb because he's on one of the best deals in the league.
Maybe I'm being too positive but I really believe if BM pulls the trigger on a top 4 D man without giving up the farm and if Eakins can make a difference we'll be competing for a Playoff spot and maybe will make life hard on any team should we make it. If Zegras turns out to be what we think/hope he is our team will be competitive in the not too distant future.

IMO we don't need a rebuild.

• Like 1