The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
SteveinTamarindo

Most Boring Off-Season Ever?

6 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I agree with this. And I think that was good he didn't go after Erik Karlsson. I can't imagine him thinking giving up Kase for a rental (or long term) with Faulk is a good idea unless he truly is concerned with the concussions and doesn't want to risk it.

I do want to bring it back to goaltending though...we have arguably the best goaltending tandem in the league. That's not something to scoff at. And if you have a competent forward group with skill, and a good system in place the players/management believe in, and we have a top-3 D that have shown they ALL can play hockey...possibly showing that last season was a fluke for our D...we make the playoffs...with that goalie tandem...whose to say we can't make a run??

I think this Ducks team right now is a wild card. I just could see us go either way. If things gel early...and the kids take a good step forward...and we stay relatively healthy...we could be dangerous THIS season. We could also just as easily take some time to gel, or the kids don't take a big step etc...and we have another season of pain.

To me, the Ducks right now are a team with no expectation but a lot of potential.

We definitely have the best goaltending in the league. They just need more talent and experience from the young guys in front of them. I can actually see the Ducks coming out relatively strong and with energy to start this year but that the young guys will slow down as the season grinds on. Managing through an entire NHL season physically and mentally is something they all need to learn and go through. I don’t think that we need them to take huge steps this year, just that they are progressing forward.

3 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

All those players you mention were not to the rangers what Getzlaf is to our Ducks. Us trading Getzlaf would be like Pittsburgh trading Crosby. Trading Rakell would be dumb because he's on one of the best deals in the league.
Maybe I'm being too positive but I really believe if BM pulls the trigger on a top 4 D man without giving up the farm and if Eakins can make a difference we'll be competing for a Playoff spot and maybe will make life hard on any team should we make it. If Zegras turns out to be what we think/hope he is our team will be competitive in the not too distant future.

IMO we don't need a rebuild.

Aren’t we are going through a rebuild now if we aren’t competitive though? It isn’t to the extent of the Rangers but we are in one. It’s what happens when you need to replace guys like Perry, Kesler and an have an aging Getzlaf. Those aren’t easy and they take time. I don’t see a top-4 dman suddenly making the Ducks a threat in the West either since you’re creating another huge void in scoring (Kase) or prospects/picks to get it. 

Since Theo was mentioned in this post, I decided to put this here. Theo’s Cancer diagnosis and recovery.

Thankfully his cancer was found early because of random drug testing at the Worlds!

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/shea-theodore-nhl-vegas-golden-knights

Edited by DuckFan4Life

5 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

All those players you mention were not to the rangers what Getzlaf is to our Ducks. Us trading Getzlaf would be like Pittsburgh trading Crosby. Trading Rakell would be dumb because he's on one of the best deals in the league.
Maybe I'm being too positive but I really believe if BM pulls the trigger on a top 4 D man without giving up the farm and if Eakins can make a difference we'll be competing for a Playoff spot and maybe will make life hard on any team should we make it. If Zegras turns out to be what we think/hope he is our team will be competitive in the not too distant future.

IMO we don't need a rebuild.

Agreed. The Ducks don't need a rebuild. Which is why they are just re-tooling instead of rebuilding. Adding and developing young players through the draft while still retaining all of your productive veterans is a re-tool, not a re-build. 

5 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

We definitely have the best goaltending in the league. They just need more talent and experience from the young guys in front of them. I can actually see the Ducks coming out relatively strong and with energy to start this year but that the young guys will slow down as the season grinds on. Managing through an entire NHL season physically and mentally is something they all need to learn and go through. I don’t think that we need them to take huge steps this year, just that they are progressing forward.

Aren’t we are going through a rebuild now if we aren’t competitive though? It isn’t to the extent of the Rangers but we are in one. It’s what happens when you need to replace guys like Perry, Kesler and an have an aging Getzlaf. Those aren’t easy and they take time. I don’t see a top-4 dman suddenly making the Ducks a threat in the West either since you’re creating another huge void in scoring (Kase) or prospects/picks to get it. 

I think if Eakins can come up with a system that catches on we may be competitive. Not Cup contenders but definitely in the mix for the Playoffs.

Kase is a great player but he hasn't scored an awful lot of points for us. He was on track for a good season but missed most of it. If he can stay healthy he's an asset but if he can't...

I've read a couple of those interviews on our website. All the guys seem to be saying the same thing: "I believe we can surprise a lot of people."

I love that mindset. There's a few ifs but I believe the same thing. Go Ducks!

Has anyone seen the training camp roster yet? As far as I can tell it hasn't been posted, which seems very weird since camp opens tomorrow (Friday). The Kings also open tomorrow and they posted their training camp roster yesterday. I've checked about a dozen other teams' websites and theirs are all posted as well. Wonder if GMBM is working on some last minute veteran invites (Phaneuf?) or is still pushing hard for a trade before opening camp and is therefore reluctant to release the roster until the latest possible moment.

Edited by dtsdlaw

39 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Has anyone seen the training camp roster yet? As far as I can tell it hasn't been posted, which seems very weird since camp opens tomorrow (Friday). The Kings also open tomorrow and they posted their training camp roster yesterday. I've checked about a dozen other teams' websites and theirs are all posted as well. Wonder if GMBM is working on some last minute veteran invites (Phaneuf?) or is still pushing hard for a trade before opening camp and is therefore reluctant to release the roster until the latest possible moment.

Ducks have stated Training Camp will begin tomorrow...Bad News it's Closed to the public which SUCKS.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

45 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

OK, just now released. Pretty sure we were the last team to release it. 

No Eaves on the roster. Looks like he's either getting the Beleskey treatment or his hockey career is done. Sad. I was hoping he'd get one more shot at playing.

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

OK, just now released. Pretty sure we were the last team to release it. 

No Eaves on the roster. Looks like he's either getting the Beleskey treatment or his hockey career is done. Sad. I was hoping he'd get one more shot at playing.

I was hoping too....I look at the names..most of the Ducks Prospects are there including 2 who suited up for the Mooseheads and some of returnees.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 9/5/2019 at 8:20 AM, dukitup said:

If your seats are center ice (200 level), or in the second row of the 200 level, I know the prices went up significantly. Otherwise, I find it hard to believe a $40 increase in other areas. What location do you normally sit?

Upper half of 200 at the corners where the Ducks shoot twice. Tickets were $78~79 last season.  $115 this season.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

Upper half of 200 at the corners where the Ducks shoot twice. Tickets were $78~79 last season.  $115 this season.

No they're not. I'm looking at the season seat pricing for the last 2 years. Plaza goal - Upper West (Ducks shoot twice), tickets were $83 last year, and $89 this year.

20 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I think if Eakins can come up with a system that catches on we may be competitive. Not Cup contenders but definitely in the mix for the Playoffs.

Kase is a great player but he hasn't scored an awful lot of points for us. He was on track for a good season but missed most of it. If he can stay healthy he's an asset but if he can't...

I've read a couple of those interviews on our website. All the guys seem to be saying the same thing: "I believe we can surprise a lot of people."

I love that mindset. There's a few ifs but I believe the same thing. Go Ducks!

It’s possible and the Ducks are going to play a different style under Eakins. I know it still sounds weird but I think that the Ducks future is better served by not making the playoffs again this season. They obviously aren’t going to tank but we still need more elite talent in the system. Hence, the dilemma I think that we have.

I’m sure the players are probably just thrilled to not have Carlyle behind the bench killing everyone’s vibe or Gibson again. They are also going into this season with very little pressure as a group as no one expects much from them. They must feel relieved lol

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It’s possible and the Ducks are going to play a different style under Eakins. I know it still sounds weird but I think that the Ducks future is better served by not making the playoffs again this season. They obviously aren’t going to tank but we still need more elite talent in the system. Hence, the dilemma I think that we have.

I’m sure the players are probably just thrilled to not have Carlyle behind the bench killing everyone’s vibe or Gibson again. They are also going into this season with very little pressure as a group as no one expects much from them. They must feel relieved lol

Even if they play well this season without much real top-end talent I think they probably miss the playoffs anyway. Unless Gibson carries the team to the playoffs himself, which is a real possibility.

Edited by nieder

13 hours ago, dukitup said:

No they're not. I'm looking at the season seat pricing for the last 2 years. Plaza goal - Upper West (Ducks shoot twice), tickets were $83 last year, and $89 this year.

Price was 119 when they had their 'presale' a couple weeks ago. Must only be the single seat prices that went up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

I think we have a decent group for training now... and so I'll hope that we DO get to the playoffs, because almost ANY time in the playoffs is worth its weight in gold both in terms of team finances AND in terms of player development.  

admittedly, that first round travesty/dumpster fire in San Jose didn't count for much, other than a few hollow ducats in the bucket, but i stand by my earlier comment.

That's a really good point. And I do agree with that, too. Ultimately I think making the playoffs is better than not for many reasons -- one of which being with the goaltending duo we have....we could make a surprise run. Both goalies are capable of stealing the show. 

59 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

NEWS: Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray confirmed today both Patrick Eaves and Ryan Kesler will miss the entirety of the 2019-20 season.

This should not surprise anyone especially with Eaves dealing with  GBS.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 hours ago, nieder said:

Even if they play well this season without much real top-end talent I think they probably miss the playoffs anyway. Unless Gibson carries the team to the playoffs himself, which is a real possibility.

Yeah, I agree with you. Odds of them making the playoffs are extremely slim and I don’t see them getting in regardless and don’t see the long term benefit of actively going for it this season. If Gibson somehow carried this team to a playoff spot, then just give him the vezina and plan his jersey retirement.

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

I think we have a decent group for training now... and so I'll hope that we DO get to the playoffs, because almost ANY time in the playoffs is worth its weight in gold both in terms of team finances AND in terms of player development.  

admittedly, that first round travesty/dumpster fire in San Jose didn't count for much, other than a few hollow ducats in the bucket, but i stand by my earlier comment.

Yeah, SJ series was an indictment of the franchise with how badly we got beat down. I hope to return the favor and send their franchise back, accordingly.

I think we have a decent pipeline and that the excitement for this season is about seeing how they do. I think we’ll end up roughly where we did in the standings as last year but look better doing it lol. I agree about player development in the playoffs, but the 2020 draft class is looking so good (a few high end Swedes right in Murray’s wheelhouse!) so I’m willing to miss the playoffs for one more year.

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

NEWS: Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray confirmed today both Patrick Eaves and Ryan Kesler will miss the entirety of the 2019-20 season.

Made over million bucks per game he played after his extension. Good work if you can get it lol. Truly hope he’s healthy though.

4 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, I agree with you. Odds of them making the playoffs are extremely slim and I don’t see them getting in regardless and don’t see the long term benefit of actively going for it this season. If Gibson somehow carried this team to a playoff spot, then just give him the vezina and plan his jersey retirement.

Yeah, SJ series was an indictment of the franchise with how badly we got beat down. I hope to return the favor and send their franchise back, accordingly.

I think we have a decent pipeline and that the excitement for this season is about seeing how they do. I think we’ll end up roughly where we did in the standings as last year but look better doing it lol. I agree about player development in the playoffs, but the 2020 draft class is looking so good (a few high end Swedes right in Murray’s wheelhouse!) so I’m willing to miss the playoffs for one more year.

Made over million bucks per game he played after his extension. Good work if you can get it lol. Truly hope he’s healthy though.

Come on! The guy couldn't walk up the stairs without pain. It's a tough break and I don't pin anything on him. The problem is BM took a risk with a player that obviously gelled with Getz and it backfired tremendously. His injury history was bad but BM took the chance anyway... and lost. If it had worked out everyone would consider BM a genius but 20/20 is everything. Even if all the signs were pointing to stay away. 

10 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Come on! The guy couldn't walk up the stairs without pain. It's a tough break and I don't pin anything on him. The problem is BM took a risk with a player that obviously gelled with Getz and it backfired tremendously. His injury history was bad but BM took the chance anyway... and lost. If it had worked out everyone would consider BM a genius but 20/20 is everything. Even if all the signs were pointing to stay away. 

Oh, I'm not faulting Eaves at all for coming down with some horrible illness or for signing the extension that he was offered. He seems like a great guy and I hope that he's perfectly healthy and happy going forward. I never wanted more than a two-year extension if he were to get re-signed though. His injury history and age were major red flags and he even injured his shoulder during his rehab trying to come back to the Ducks. I respect Murray getting him at the deadline for the 2017 run and even then he missed most of those playoffs. Like you said, all the signs were screaming to stay away and they were right lol.

Well I think it's best to say that Faulk is not coming to the Ducks...hear what Bob Murray has to say?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 hours ago, BritDuck168 said:

Good to see the Kase trade talk has been squashed 😀

For now. BM was upset that Carolina leaked his name. He didn’t deny that he would have been part of the Faulk trade. 

SEPTEMBER 14, 2019 AT 8:56 PM CDT | BY HOLGER STOLZENBERG 4 COMMENTS

While the rumors that the potential deal between the Carolina Hurricanes and Anaheim Ducks involving Justin Faulk and Ondrej Kase was unlikely to happen came in earlier today, Anaheim general manager Bob Murray declined comment, but did express displeasure in Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon (without mentioning his name), according to Elliott Teaford of the Orange County Register. Murray blames the Hurricanes’ owner for leaking out Kase’s name in the trade negotiations.

“When things are out there and haven’t happened and some owner decides he’s going to garner some friendship with the media, and he’s going to get close to the media, and he puts things out there, some of these people, I wish they were players at some point in their lives,” Murray said. “Obviously, they weren’t.”

Kase doesn’t seem affected by the trade talk as the 23-year-old winger is trying to recover from surgery to repair a torn labrum that allowed him to appear in just 30 games last season. The winger said he hopes to play in one exhibition game and expects to be ready for the start of the season.

Edited by DuckFan4Life

52 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

For now. BM was upset that Carolina leaked his name. He didn’t deny that he would have been part of the Faulk trade. 

SEPTEMBER 14, 2019 AT 8:56 PM CDT | BY HOLGER STOLZENBERG 4 COMMENTS

While the rumors that the potential deal between the Carolina Hurricanes and Anaheim Ducks involving Justin Faulk and Ondrej Kase was unlikely to happen came in earlier today, Anaheim general manager Bob Murray declined comment, but did express displeasure in Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon (without mentioning his name), according to Elliott Teaford of the Orange County Register. Murray blames the Hurricanes’ owner for leaking out Kase’s name in the trade negotiations.

“When things are out there and haven’t happened and some owner decides he’s going to garner some friendship with the media, and he’s going to get close to the media, and he puts things out there, some of these people, I wish they were players at some point in their lives,” Murray said. “Obviously, they weren’t.”

Kase doesn’t seem affected by the trade talk as the 23-year-old winger is trying to recover from surgery to repair a torn labrum that allowed him to appear in just 30 games last season. The winger said he hopes to play in one exhibition game and expects to be ready for the start of the season.

In other words this whole situation was really just  GMBM making an inquiry on whether the Canes would be willing to trade Faulk for Kase. Because of the leak, the bored media built it up to the point that Faulk was perusing a contract and trying to work out some final detail before signing.

It was all bullDehydrated Donkey Dung.

3 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

In other words this whole situation was really just  GMBM making an inquiry on whether the Canes would be willing to trade Faulk for Kase. Because of the leak, the bored media built it up to the point that Faulk was perusing a contract and trying to work out some final detail before signing.

After reading the article, GMBM is more miffed with Carolina for leaking to the media than he is the media building it up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

Yeah, it was much more than an inquiry and that the deal was in place that fell through because an extension couldn't be agreed upon. Which I'm glad didn't happen. I get why Murray is upset given that he likes to keep things private, especially because there was no indication that the Ducks were even considering trading Kase. If Carolina really wanted Kase then it made no sense for them to leak something to the media and upset Murray and it sure seems like talks were still going when the trade talks leaked. Could be that Carolina wanted to leak the information to drive up the bidding war with other teams that have interest in Faulk.

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, it was much more than an inquiry and that the deal was in place that fell through because an extension couldn't be agreed upon. Which I'm glad didn't happen. I get why Murray is upset given that he likes to keep things private, especially because there was no indication that the Ducks were even considering trading Kase. If Carolina really wanted Kase then it made no sense for them to leak something to the media and upset Murray and it sure seems like talks were still going when the trade talks leaked. Could be that Carolina wanted to leak the information to drive up the bidding war with other teams that have interest in Faulk.

Exactly. They knew if a team that was on Faulk's  approval list made an offer they would have a much easier time getting him to waive his ntc.

3 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

Exactly. They knew if a team that was on Faulk's  approval list made an offer they would have a much easier time getting him to waive his ntc.

I am guessing and I am being honest that Faulk trade has been Nixed.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck