The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Jasoaks

2019-2020 NHL Catch-All

Looks like Gardiner signed with the Hurricanes...Marner's contract is probably getting closer...

Thornton, too, back with the Sharks...but that's no surprise...

Hockey is getting closer!!!

Just read that I guess Marner denied a 7 and an 8 year contract with the Leafs that would have him averaging $11mil a year....I guess he wasn't pleased with making less than Auston Matthews.

Check this out:

https://www.capfriendly.com/

In particular, look at the cap space and the number of contracts.  I'm not sure what Winnipeg is waiting for.  Those top 5 teams with negative cap space.... not sure what they're going to do.  I would not be surprised if we bear some of Toronto's pain by the end of September.  

What's crazy is that although we're shown as having $8.5M in cap space, we really have closer to $16M in cap space as long as we can leverage Kesler's cap hit under the LTIR rules.  For perspective, Toronto could trade Matthews to us for a minor leaguer, and we could fit him in on our end.

not that it's going to happen.  and i don't think anyone wants to pay Marner that kind of $$$, least of all BM.  I suppose we could ship a few forwards back... naw.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fisix said:

Check this out:

In particular, look at the cap space and the number of contracts.  I'm not sure what Winnipeg is waiting for.  Those top 5 teams with negative cap space.... not sure what they're going to do.  I would not be surprised if we bear some of Toronto's pain by the end of September.  

What's crazy is that although we're shown as having $8.5M in cap space, we really have closer to $16M in cap space as long as we can leverage Kesler's cap hit under the LTIR rules.  For perspective, Toronto could trade Matthews to us for a minor leaguer, and we could fit him in on our end.

not that it's going to happen.  and i don't think anyone wants to pay Marner that kind of $$$, least of all BM.  I suppose we could ship a few forwards back... naw.

That whole Marner situation is [insert word(s) of choice]. Can't believe he turned down 11 mil. I thought he was a hometown boy. Apparently not. If I were in the GM's office in toronto I'd let him walk. They have the top end talent anyway to compete for The Cup and with that 11 mil they can bring in another impact forward and defenseman.

Then again dubas did it to himself with that ridiculous Matthews contract.

Did Dubas do the Matthews contract?  I thought he was only GM/responsible for the Nylander contract.

MEDIA ADVISORY: The Winnipeg Jets announced today that defenceman Dustin Byfuglien has been granted a personal leave of absence from the hockey team. #NHLJets

Jim Nill updates us. Corey Perry has small fracture in foot. Will be re-evaluated in two weeks. Stephen Johns is not skating. They will not provide further updates. Julius Honka has asked for a trade.

6 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Jim Nill updates us. Corey Perry has small fracture in foot. Will be re-evaluated in two weeks.

I see he’s earning every penny of that new contract. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Fisix said:

Check this out:

I'd guess Winnipeg just wants to lowball Laine as much as they can considering how "bad" he was last season...which is just insulting to everyone involved. I'd love to have Laine....sigh....

But yeah, man, no clue what those teams are going to do. But I would guess yeah, us and Ottawa and Columbus will be helping them out...

2 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

MEDIA ADVISORY: The Winnipeg Jets announced today that defenceman Dustin Byfuglien has been granted a personal leave of absence from the hockey team. #NHLJets

huh.  no news after a quick googlestalk.

Training Camp Notes: Byfuglien, Dach, Perry

September 13th, 2019 at 10:19am CST • By Gavin Lee

The Winnipeg Jets today announced that Dustin Byfuglien has been granted a leave of absence from the team and will not be participating at the start of training camp. Head coach Paul Maurice and GM Kevin Cheveldayoff both explained that it is not injury related and that it is “nothing sinister.” There is no timetable for his return, but hopefully he can get whatever it is sorted out quickly.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Marner signed - 6 years at $10+M

woah! what?? maybe the story of him turning down the $11mil is a lie...

Also, I wonder if this means they'll be naming Matthews captain soon...

LOL

they're currently 13M over the cap, or thereabouts.  

i guess we can just plan on nylander coming down here.

7 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

woah! what?? maybe the story of him turning down the $11mil is a lie...

Also, I wonder if this means they'll be naming Matthews captain soon...

$100,700 short of the initial $11M. Sounds like the GM caves and gave him nearly the full contract to a small rounding error.  8 years is now the full length one can sign a contract, right? Six years after an ELC gives Mariner quick UFA status and a butt load o' bank.

Edited by poum

8 hours ago, poum said:

$100,700 short of the initial $11M. Sounds like the GM caves and gave him nearly the full contract to a small rounding error.  8 years is now the full length one can sign a contract, right? Six years after an ELC gives Mariner quick UFA status and a butt load o' bank.

ahhhh yeah, i see...so...in other words...the leafs are gonna be top heavy for sometime and have a solid goalie...and then very little in between lol

Cup or bust for the 19/20 Leafs. This is looking like the strongest roster (on paper at least) that they've had in my entire lifetime. I think everyone in this city will forgive how hilariously mangled the cap situation now is if they can end the drought. Their defence is going to be an absolute mess following this season though. No way they'll be able to keep Barrie and Muzzin.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Cup or bust for the 19/20 Leafs. This is looking like the strongest roster (on paper at least) that they've had in my entire lifetime. I think everyone in this city will forgive how hilariously mangled the cap situation now is if they can end the drought. Their defence is going to be an absolute mess following this season though. No way they'll be able to keep Barrie and Muzzin.

I was going to taunt you silly but I forgot they ditched Gardiner and picked up Ceci and Barrie. That defense is a LD/RD wet dream. But yeah... Next season, Ceci, Barrie, Muzzin are UFA's and the only defenseman signed is Orielly. That'll be entertaining.

And somehow, they are still paying Nathan Horton, David Clarkson and eating a healthy chunk of Phil Kessels contract. #bigmarketproblems

On 9/14/2019 at 9:48 AM, PetrSykora said:

were they worse last year?  i'm a little weirded out by their strategy this year.

On 9/14/2019 at 11:34 PM, poum said:

I was going to taunt you silly but I forgot they ditched Gardiner and picked up Ceci and Barrie. That defense is a LD/RD wet dream. But yeah... Next season, Ceci, Barrie, Muzzin are UFA's and the only defenseman signed is Orielly. That'll be entertaining.

And somehow, they are still paying Nathan Horton, David Clarkson and eating a healthy chunk of Phil Kessels contract. #bigmarketproblems

They currently have more than $15M in cap space slated for 2020-21, and that's assuming the cap doesn't go up. I would think that Barrie and Muzzin are practically a lock to re-sign with that cap space. You'd also expect that Nylander is going to be traded sometime before the next draft, so that's another almost $7M of cap space available next season (and likely a 1st rounder in return), so they'll be able to re-sign Ceci if they want to (I don't think they will) or to chase another defender (Faulk?). I actually think Toronto's front office has played this perfectly and that they're now going to be a destination for plenty of aging NHLers to take hometown discounts for one shot at breaking the drought (see e.g. Spezza, Jason) for the foreseeable future.

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

They currently have more than $15M in cap space slated for 2020-21, and that's assuming the cap doesn't go up. I would think that Barrie and Muzzin are practically a lock to re-sign with that cap space. You'd also expect that Nylander is going to be traded sometime before the next draft, so that's another almost $7M of cap space available next season (and likely a 1st rounder in return), so they'll be able to re-sign Ceci if they want to (I don't think they will) or to chase another defender (Faulk?). I actually think Toronto's front office has played this perfectly and that they're now going to be a destination for plenty of aging NHLers to take hometown discounts for one shot at breaking the drought (see e.g. Spezza, Jason) for the foreseeable future.

i hadn't seen that Toronto currently has $13+M in LTIR potential.  it still seems like they have some shuffling to do, but maybe they won't need to ship Nylander to make the start of the season.

31 minutes ago, Fisix said:

i hadn't seen that Toronto currently has $13+M in LTIR potential.  it still seems like they have some shuffling to do, but maybe they won't need to ship Nylander to make the start of the season.

I think Hyman is expected back from his knee surgery in November, and when that happens they will have to do some salary shuffling to stay under the cap. My guess is that Nylander goes in a "hockey trade" once Hyman is healthy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

They can't re-sign barrie and muzzin unless they're gonna play for scraps. The big 4 plus Andersen and Reilly take up 50,5 mil. That's 50 mil for 6 players. That leaves a little less than 35 mil for 17 players. Whatever trick Dubas pulled with that LTIR money is also out of the question because both horton and clarkson are off the books next season.

I applaud Dubas for keeping his big 4 together and especially for the Johnson and Kapanen deals but it's not sustainable. One (probably Nylander) will have to go. If they win The Cup over the next 2-3 years it's all good but imagine if they don't. That Matthews contract is horrible. Marner's isn't much better.

20 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think Muzzin and Barrie are going to command $11 - $12 million together, which would leave them, say, $4.5 million (with a small cap bump) to sign three bottom six forwards, three defensemen, and a backup goalie.  I agree that they'll try to trade Nylander, but unless they trade him to Ottawa, they're bringing some salary back in that deal.  I think a Nylander trade for a defenseman is the only way they solve this and still have any depth worth speaking of.  Otherwise, you're looking at minimum deals for all seven of those guys, and even that's pushing it.  I think Toronto is in trouble if they can't find a reasonable deal for Nylander.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I think Muzzin and Barrie are going to command $11 - $12 million together, which would leave them, say, $4.5 million (with a small cap bump) to sign three bottom six forwards, three defensemen, and a backup goalie.  I agree that they'll try to trade Nylander, but unless they trade him to Ottawa, they're bringing some salary back in that deal.  I think a Nylander trade for a defenseman is the only way they solve this and still have any depth worth speaking of.  Otherwise, you're looking at minimum deals for all seven of those guys, and even that's pushing it.  I think Toronto is in trouble if they can't find a reasonable deal for Nylander.

We would have been a great trade partner last season before we lost Montour...now, we are in real need of defense lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I count two forwards based on Capfriendly. Did you include Hyman? Or maybe you are saying three forwards after Nylander is traded? Either way, I don't think trading Nylander requires salary to come back. I see a handful of teams that could absorb his cap hit (especially if its pro-rated by an in-season trade) that could really use him and who would be able to deal just picks and prospects, such as the Kings (barf). And even the Leafs bring some salary back, it will almost certainly be a player who plugs right into their lineup. Nylander's contract is also extremely trade friendly since it has already paid him $12M last season, and $8.3M of the $9M he is owed this season was already paid on July 1st as a signing bonus. It's hard to imagine that Toronto couldn't find a good deal for him based on that salary structure alone. A team could snatch him up for just $700K in salary this season (pro-rated) and $6M for the next four seasons, which would be a great bargain for a 23-year-old 2-time 60+ point player who can play center or wing. It's almost a shame we are awash in good young RWs, because I would trade for Nylander now in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I count two forwards based on Capfriendly. Did you include Hyman? Or maybe you are saying three forwards after Nylander is traded? Either way, I don't think trading Nylander requires salary to come back. I see a handful of teams that could absorb his cap hit (especially if its pro-rated by an in-season trade) that could really use him and who would be able to deal just picks and prospects, such as the Kings (barf). And even the Leafs bring some salary back, it will almost certainly be a player who plugs right into their lineup. Nylander's contract is also extremely trade friendly since it has already paid him $12M last season, and $8.3M of the $9M he is owed this season was already paid on July 1st as a signing bonus. It's hard to imagine that Toronto couldn't find a good deal for him based on that salary structure alone. A team could snatch him up for just $700K in salary this season (pro-rated) and $6M for the next four seasons, which would be a great bargain for a 23-year-old 2-time 60+ point player who can play center or wing. It's almost a shame we are awash in good young RWs, because I would trade for Nylander now in a heartbeat.

They have 10 forwards signed for next year, but will need at least one extra on the active roster.  I also probably should have said four defensemen, since they'll need an extra one of those on the active roster as well.

They'll find a taker for Nylander, but whoever it is should drive a hard bargain knowing that without trading him, Toronto is over a barrel.  If Nylander is still on the roster, their defensive depth is going to suck and their forward depth (past Nylander) isn't going to be much better.

9 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

They have 10 forwards signed for next year, but will need at least one extra on the active roster.  I also probably should have said four defensemen, since they'll need an extra one of those on the active roster as well.

They'll find a taker for Nylander, but whoever it is should drive a hard bargain knowing that without trading him, Toronto is over a barrel.  If Nylander is still on the roster, their defensive depth is going to suck and their forward depth (past Nylander) isn't going to be much better.

According to CapFriendly: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen, Hyman, Moore, Petan and Agostino are all signed through 2020-21 and counting against that cap number mentioned above. That's 11, no?