The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Jasoaks

2019-2020 NHL Catch-All

9 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I interpreted it to mean he wasn't playing on the first line of his own team, which is a huge insult to his linemates.  

oh, that's worse haha yeah, geez

20 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I don't want a player with an ego problem on the team. 

https://twitter.com/GinoRedaTSN/status/1174094073516441600?s=20

If he actually said that, he should pack his sh*t. He won't be playing another game in Winnipeg.

If a Duck said something like that Murray would jettison him to Siberia.

40 minutes ago, nieder said:

If he actually said that, he should pack his sh*t. He won't be playing another game in Winnipeg.

I'm not sure Siberia qualifies as worse than Winnipeg.

In seriousness, with the Laine thing, a potential Byfuglien retirement, and still no Kyle Connor, their franchise could go downhill awfully quickly after looking like they were going to be contenders for a while.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

UPDATE: #NHLJets defenceman Dustin Byfuglien is believed to be using his time away from the team to ponder his #NHL future according to @TSNBobMcKenzie. There is no timetable for a decision. tsn.ca/1.1367417 #TSNHockey

I actually just made a very similar request with a girl i'm dating!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm not sure Siberia qualifies as worse than Winnipeg.

In seriousness, with the Laine thing, a potential Byfuglien retirement, and still no Kyle Connor, their franchise could go downhill awfully quickly after looking like they were going to be contenders for a while.

Seriously, in less than 3 months the right side of their defense went from Byfuglien + Trouba + Myers to Neal Pionk and... and.. who else do they even have?? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Seriously, in less than 3 months the right side of their defense went from Byfuglien + Trouba + Myers to Neal Pionk and... and.. who else do they even have?? 

At least we had the decency of losing Despres, Vatanen, Theodore and Montour over roughly an 18 month period lol. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, nieder said:

This whole situation reminds me of Bobby Ryan (who? Lol). Yeah that B Ry. I remember him not being happy about the split from the twins. They had him be the star on his own line and if I remember correctly, we didn't have that real second line center yet. Anyway, I'm not sure how long Laine lasts in the Peg. I guess these kinds of things can be resolved and he continues his career there but potentially with the idea that he will be traded. 

15 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

This whole situation reminds me of Bobby Ryan (who? Lol). Yeah that B Ry. I remember him not being happy about the split from the twins. They had him be the star on his own line and if I remember correctly, we didn't have that real second line center yet. Anyway, I'm not sure how long Laine lasts in the Peg. I guess these kinds of things can be resolved and he continues his career there but potentially with the idea that he will be traded. 

A bit the opposite of Laine though because Bobby actually wanted to move away from the Twins. He was a RW forced into playing LW (which he didn't seem to like) and he got tired of being the 4th passing option on a 3-man line since Getzlaf and Pears would spend a whole shift just playing catch with each other. So Bobby had a few too many pops at a charity golf event and shot his mouth off to a reporter, and everything deteriorated from there.

But I agree that Laine is probably looking at a shortened career in Winnipeg. Those are tough comments to come back from. And they should definitely trade him for D now that their blue line has deteriorated this summer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

A bit the opposite of Laine though because Bobby actually wanted to move away from the Twins. He was a RW forced into playing LW (which he didn't seem to like) and he got tired of being the 4th passing option on a 3-man line since Getzlaf and Pears would spend a whole shift just playing catch with each other. So Bobby had a few too many pops at a charity golf event and shot his mouth off to a reporter, and everything deteriorated from there.

But I agree that Laine is probably looking at a shortened career in Winnipeg. Those are tough comments to come back from. And they should definitely trade him for D now that their blue line has deteriorated this summer.

I thought it was the opposite. Hmm must not remember any more. Either way, they don't want to worsen the situation by saying Laine is a jerk. So downplaying and saying everything is good will keep the Jets with the upper hand in case a trade happens. If other teams know that the situation is bad, they will play to that and try to lower the value. Who knows? Sakic had a pretty big issue with Dushesne (sp?) and still got a very good trade that they won hands down (lol Ottawa).

can anybody explain me how Toronto wants to come under the salary cap? 13,3 Mio…  https://www.capfriendly.com/

the salaries are too high, imagine when Rantanen, Laine, Point, Connor ect. signs… there is no more flexiblity for trades… 6 teams are over the cap, 10 within 2 Mio reserve and some of them not have the full roster. Ducks has 8,5 Mio left and have today 5h most space… but there is still Winnipeg and Colorado in front of the Ducks, both have some expensive RFAs...

5 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

can anybody explain me how Toronto wants to come under the salary cap? 13,3 Mio…  https://www.capfriendly.com/

the salaries are too high, imagine when Rantanen, Laine, Point, Connor ect. signs… there is no more flexiblity for trades… 6 teams are over the cap, 10 within 2 Mio reserve and some of them not have the full roster. Ducks has 8,5 Mio left and have today 5h most space… but there is still Winnipeg and Colorado in front of the Ducks, both have some expensive RFAs...

I believe this is the point of the cap, to help spread the wealth. Maybe we pick up a solid player to help relive cap space for some team somewhere. Or Ottawa does...or...Columbus...I also believe Toronto has some relief with LTIR?? As do we with Kesler/Eaves, too?? Not sure how that exactly works though.

The following players have been placed on waivers Fri Sep 20: Vegas Golden #Knights: Tyrell Goulbourne Brett Lernout Jaycob Megna Dallas #Stars Reece Scarlett Michael Mersch Tampa Bay #Lightning Mike Condon Louis Domingue New York #Rangers Matt Beleskey

Florida #Panthers Joel Lowry Paul Thompson Kevin Roy Tommy Cross Vancouver #Canucks Justin Bailey St. Louis #Blues Michael Vecchione Jordan Nolan Nicholas Lappin Joey Laleggia Jake Dotchin.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

The following players have been placed on waivers Fri Sep 20: Vegas Golden #Knights: Tyrell Goulbourne Brett Lernout Jaycob Megna Dallas #Stars Reece Scarlett Michael Mersch Tampa Bay #Lightning Mike Condon Louis Domingue New York #Rangers Matt Beleskey

Florida #Panthers Joel Lowry Paul Thompson Kevin Roy Tommy Cross Vancouver #Canucks Justin Bailey St. Louis #Blues Michael Vecchione Jordan Nolan Nicholas Lappin Joey Laleggia Jake Dotchin.

a lot of....a lot of ex-Ducks there lol

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I believe this is the point of the cap, to help spread the wealth. Maybe we pick up a solid player to help relive cap space for some team somewhere. Or Ottawa does...or...Columbus...I also believe Toronto has some relief with LTIR?? As do we with Kesler/Eaves, too?? Not sure how that exactly works though.

Yes they have LTIR but they can only be 10% over the cap by the start of the season. If they're not then there's a cap penalty I believe. And you can't put guys on LTIR during the summer either. 

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

right?  what the hell is Megna doing on waivers?  did the vegas life end him?  and Kevin Roy - is this injury related?

sHOCKED about Megna. i WONDER if BM will resign him.

4 hours ago, Fisix said:

right?  what the hell is Megna doing on waivers?  did the vegas life end him?  and Kevin Roy - is this injury related?

This is just so they can be sent to the AHL affiliates. Anyone on an NHL standard player contract who is not exempt from waivers will go on waivers before being sent to the AHL. It’ll happen to our guys too. Carrick, Poturalski, Martinsen, Hakanpaa, etc will all go on waivers if/when they get cut from the Big Club’s roster.

Bottom line... Roy and Megna are not NHL players, no matter where they sign in free agency.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Yes they have LTIR but they can only be 10% over the cap by the start of the season. If they're not then there's a cap penalty I believe. And you can't put guys on LTIR during the summer either. 

This is what I originally thought too, but apparently teams can use LTIR during the summer after all. Capfriendly discusses it in their LTIR FAQs. You need a doctor to sign off on it and the player going on LTIR must not be able to play the first 10 games and not be active for the first 24 days of the season.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

What for a penalty they would take? Some money? Maybe they are so desperately that they take the penalty...

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

This is what I originally thought too, but apparently teams can use LTIR during the summer after all. Capfriendly discusses it in their LTIR FAQs. You need a doctor to sign off on it and the player going on LTIR must not be able to play the first 10 games and not be active for the first 24 days of the season.

Interesting. I seem to remember BM managing LTIR kind of like the cap. Was it last year or the year before that he had the opportunity to put Eaves (?) on LTIR for cap relief but opted not to so it wouldn't handcuff the team later in the year. I remember reading an article about why it was done that way but can't seem to remember how it worked. 

34 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

What for a penalty they would take? Some money? Maybe they are so desperately that they take the penalty...

So I did a quick search and there seems to be a couple of things. The contract won't be approved by the nhl because it would put the team over the cap. But as the quote above also shows,  I guess it factors in LTIR. But in the event that a team does go over there is apparently up to a 5 million fine and possible draft picks. There is also the possibility the team forfeits games until they become compliant. 

So all this brings us to the teams that are currently over. They must be cap compliant, otherwise the league wouldn't approve Marners signing for example. I remember Bob also having to wait to announce/ sign a player until we became cap compliant to do so. 

I enjoy these european preseason games. Very nostalgic seeing the atmosphere in hockey games. I've lived in the States for over 20 years but I make sure to go to at least one hockey game whenever i visit family in Switzerland. Despite 5-7k fans, the crowd noise always seems much more amplified than the 17k here in the NHL. I'm not bashing crowd noise and be a euro-snob...please do not misconstrue this post. Just sharing how great it is to see it on NHL network. 

• Like 1

Watching VGK and SJS on NHL Network.  Evander Kane picking his spots.  He wants to fight some Russian guy when a perfectly willing Ryan Reeves is available.  

On 9/28/2019 at 3:43 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The Avs now have Rantanen and McKinnon for under $16 million combined for the next 4 years. That’s just a thing of cap beauty

geeeez. wow. didn't realize they got him to sign. 

14 hours ago, Fowl said:

Watching VGK and SJS on NHL Network.  Evander Kane picking his spots.  He wants to fight some Russian guy when a perfectly willing Ryan Reeves is available.  

Kane is just...i really don't like the guy. Like REALLY don't.

But I just can't imagine what him and his wife had to go through so even though I want to call him all the names and say he has no leadership or sportsmanship...i still feel such heartbreak for him.

16 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Ugh....bringing up Vermette for SLASHING a ref...you mean his light tap that didn't mean anything???? 

But anyway, back to topic at hand. Yes he absolutely should be. At first when I watched it it looked he may have thought that was Knights player...but then reading his comments made me just hate him more and he was trying to justify pushing the ref 'cause hte ref "attacked him"....made me realize he did it intentionally and 100% should be suspended.

From what I can tell the ref got accidentally slashed, sure (and also much more dangerous of a slash than Vermette's love tap), but the ref didn't take a bunch of strides to tackle Kane. He was keeping him from the other player and then Kane lost his balance and took the ref with him. That's a category II, no question.

What upsets me the most is that he will get the category 2 suspension and will think he doesn't deserve it. Classless player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Ugh....bringing up Vermette for SLASHING a ref...you mean his light tap that didn't mean anything???? 

But anyway, back to topic at hand. Yes he absolutely should be. At first when I watched it it looked he may have thought that was Knights player...but then reading his comments made me just hate him more and he was trying to justify pushing the ref 'cause hte ref "attacked him"....made me realize he did it intentionally and 100% should be suspended.

From what I can tell the ref got accidentally slashed, sure (and also much more dangerous of a slash than Vermette's love tap), but the ref didn't take a bunch of strides to tackle Kane. He was keeping him from the other player and then Kane lost his balance and took the ref with him. That's a category II, no question.

What upsets me the most is that he will get the category 2 suspension and will think he doesn't deserve it. Classless player.

Nailed it! That's what I see too. Reputation or not, I would hope/expect that Kane will get the 10 games he deserves for this. Even if that was Connor McJesus doing it, that's a category II suspension for sure.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

His comments and attitude after the fact didn't help him at all.  Especially accusing the ref of taking a bunch of strides, which he clearly didn't.

7 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

His comments and attitude after the fact didn't help him at all.  Especially accusing the ref of taking a bunch of strides, which he clearly didn't.

RIGHT?! Also, the ref is literally IN FRONT of him...so his whole "got tackled from behind" case is...well...preeetttty weak...i don't believe he would have gotten in trouble with the slash...it's definitely the shove. He didn't get ejected for the slash. The ref maybe takes 2 strides as he catches up to Kane who is chirping and seemingly about ready to fight someone...which is also not exactly a "Im just skating around minding my own business."

I really have such little respect for a majority of the players on that team -- most seem to lack a lot of class or leadership or maturity (nothing new, if you look back at posts i've been making about them for a few years now lol)...Coulture as the captain I don't think helps any of it. Marleau and Pavelski were some of the last few real classy players on that team... ...i've got nothing against Burns or Karlsson. But I'm sure the locker room there is calling bull on the refs, too...mostly 'cause I don't think Logan is much of a leader and will allow it to get out of hand despite the clear evidence on Evander.

8 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

There seem to be a lot of ref haters online trying to justify this, saying he was just trying to get back to the bench or back into the play or whatever. To me Kane was CLEARLY trying to get back to the guy that he was just tangled up with. The linesman is trying to prevent that, and considering the entire game was a gong show I don't blame him. Kane is classless.

• Like 5