The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Jasoaks

2019-2020 NHL Catch-All

Stupid Capitals. Euro Sasquatch (Zdeno) get slapped around by Wilson.

TJ Oshie (American shoot out hero) makes three players look really stupid in a gorgeous sequence for the goal.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:37 PM, dtsdlaw said:

With all the bad news about Babs, Peters, Crawford, etc. dominating the headlines, it’s nice to see good guy Bruce Boudreau coaching the hell out of the Wild right now. 8-0-3 over their last 11, and just beat Tampa in their own building.

I really miss the big red tomato. Good guy. Great coach.

The troubling thing here is that the 'bad conduct' that is getting these coaches in trouble, happened years in the past.  It's like the treatment the refs give the Ducks:  Full scrutiny with an eye toward punishing this year's team for stuff done in 2005.  Not fair in either case.  You'd think that the fact that there were no recent reports of bad behavior by the coaches would indicate that they've grown up a bit.

Dittos for BB.  Very nice person, great coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

The troubling thing here is that the 'bad conduct' that is getting these coaches in trouble, happened years in the past.  It's like the treatment the refs give the Ducks:  Full scrutiny with an eye toward punishing this year's team for stuff done in 2005.  Not fair in either case.  You'd think that the fact that there were no recent reports of bad behavior by the coaches would indicate that they've grown up a bit.

I’m not sure what to make of the Crawford situation, but it sounds like Peters was being a terrible human very recently. There are allegations of him kicking and punching players in the head in Carolina, where he was coaching as recently as 2018. Peters also resigned, he wasn’t fired, and my suspicion is that he resigned to put an end to the Flames investigation, which he probably knew would dig up a whole lot of other incidents of misconduct, maybe even in the current locker room.

Calgary also got knocked out of the playoffs in the first round in 5 games last season to the #8 seeded Avs, which had to have upset the front office. And the Flames were just treading water for the first two months of this season. I also think it’s interesting that the Flames have won five straight since Peters was replaced behind the bench. So removing Peters seems to be about as punishing to the Flames as removing Carlyle was punishing to the Ducks last season. 

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dunno...did Babs actually get accused for being physically abusive? or just mentally? like his firing wasn't based off of that, so I'm guessing he would still be hired...I know there are a few retired players really speaking out about how bad he was for the mental side of players...but it's not like every veteran is coming out and saying that. i wonder if he just got worse as he went on his career...if he was like that in Anaheim or not.

a team with Veterans might be the better team for him....like....the Stars....or Sharks...

also, yes! BB seemed to have been very liked by all :) ....minus the whole lack of playoff results though lol

Edited by Jasoaks

9 hours ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

I have no problem with Peters being fired for using racist slurs, even if it was 10 years ago. Though he claims he apologised at the time (this was disputed by Aliu, who said Peters in fact doubled down and did not apologise), he definitely didn't face any punishment for it. Why would he have changed in the past 10 years if he never faced any consequences for his bad behavior?

4 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Why couldn't the ducks do that?

Arizona is already a good team. It's time for them to add. Anaheim is not in that position right now.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, nieder said:

Arizona is already a good team. It's time for them to add. Anaheim is not in that position right now.

exactly! we don't want to give up picks...we WANT picks lol

edit: same reason we didn't go for Erik Karlsson...we don't want to waste picks on a rental for a season where we wont be making the playoffs...

Edited by Jasoaks

Is there any team that has been a more surprising disappointment so far this season than San Jose (I know, hate to see it)? I know that their goaltending is brutal I'm still surprised that they are actually last in the West right now with the third worst goal differential in the entire league and the 6th fewest goals. 

Rough times for hockey in California

54 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

All three cali teams at the bottom tied in points. There is no way any make the playoffs unless a miracle run happens. 😥

Us and the Kings weren’t projected to contend in the West at all and SJ seemed like an easy lock to finish top-3 in the division. I just hope LA and SJ hurt that their draft stock more than anything lol. 

53 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

San Jose doesn’t even have their 1st this year. Ottawa has it. Things are looking pretty brutal for SJ’s organization.

good. they were dumb to bring in karlsson...and they lost pavelski for it. they already had a player like him in Burns...Karlsson wasn't actually going to help much. They needed a defensive defenseman. They needed a Pronger to their Neidermayer...or...their Neidermayer to their Pronger lol...

also, while yes they technically made it to the conference finals last playoffs...that was more fluke than anything. They were a first round exit team disguised as a conference finals team by a terrible call combined with the Knights collapsing. And their "2 wins" against the eventual cup champs really should have been only 1 thanks to a terrible non-call on the hand pass.

It's unfortunate that Doug Wilson wasn't able to realistically look at his team and understand what was missing. He went after big names like Tavares and Karlsson when they weren't lacking scoring or offensive defensemen...they needed better defense and goaltending. They've needed that for a while. And good leadership.

• Thanks 1

sigh...perry...i was getting lunch...coming back and was ready to be all "woo! can't wait to see Perry and Cogs in a winter classic!" ..... ugh.....

Kovy signs with the Canadians.

His agent is dumb. Signs him up for just shy of League minimum for a non-playoff team. I've waited till the trade deadline, some GM for a playoff team would be antsy enough to make a signing for Kovy, especially for peanuts on the dollar.

As I type this, I'm second guessing my initial statement. Perhaps this is a savy move by Bergevin. Pick up a dirt cheap washed uped name. Keep him in hockey shape till the deadline, than trade his ass off to a desperate GM at the deadline for picks.

But that's assuming Bergevin would have GM acumen. That's a huge assumption.

2 minutes ago, Drake12 said:

Hahahahaha hahahahaha haha, we got Laviolette canned! This is our Stanley Cup this year. 
Wonder if the Preds stop diving? Have to imagine that it was being endorsed by the coach and if a different coach comes in and won’t have that 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Hahahahaha hahahahaha haha, we got Laviolette canned! This is our Stanley Cup this year. 
Wonder if the Preds stop diving? Have to imagine that it was being endorsed by the coach and if a different coach comes in and won’t have that 

isn't it crazy?  from Nash's view, i can see them getting impatient, but i think he was an excellent coach for them.  they've been dangerous season after season.  in my uneducated view, firing him is much worse than us firing BB.

from our view... lol.  it sucks that we might have been the catalyst, but while we aren't a consistently dangerous team, we can still do some serious damage along the way.  they showed skill we don't have as a team yet, we just grinded one out last night (and took advantage of their bad penalties).

so, what's the over-under of them hiring Babcock?  there's been a lot of grumping about how "mean" he is as a coach, but nash is a team heavy with veterans, so i'd think he might be a perfect fit for a team wanting to get over the hump while their talent still has their talent. 

i really don't have a good dipstick on how badly Babcock "appears" to the rest of the league.  i don't think he has the taint of whatever happened to Dallas' coach or what happened in Calgary, but i haven't dug on that at all.

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Nah it's been part of their culture as an organization since Trotz ran the show. Remember Ribeiro, Tootoo, Erat, and a bunch of other guys whose names are escaping me at the moment cause they were literally the most boring hockey team on the planet a decade ago? I bet it manages to get even worse now considering the players they call their leaders. 

• Like 2