Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Fisix

how long has it been?

Recommended Posts

Well, we returned the favor 2 - 0 but this was not a dominant performance, still dry on offense, but I really like the wheels and shot on that Ghule guy. We need to trade Ritchie for a 4-5 dman and we're all set to begin the season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carrick deserves to stay in Anaheim to start the season. Hope he gets a shot as the #4C. Jones-Carrick-Rowney would be a solid 4th line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Carrick deserves to stay in Anaheim to start the season. Hope he gets a shot as the #4C. Jones-Carrick-Rowney would be a solid 4th line.

I though Carrick looked pretty rough.  My thought was that was a guy who's a career AHLer.  The guy I was impressed with was Lundestrom.  I think he deserves to stay up over Comtois, certainly, and if Steel is out for a while, give Lundestrom the spot between Rakell and Silf.

Overall, the team didn't look very good.  The Kings are awful and gave the Ducks a lot of opportunities to pick them apart, but the Ducks didn't.  They looked better in the defensive zone from Monday, but not good.  Their penalty kill was atrocious and got lucky the Kings can't shoot.  The only thing I really liked was the forecheck, but even that was haphazard, and the Ducks just don't have enough finishers to take advantage when they do force a turnover.

Preseason results are meaningless, but the play on the ice isn't, and it hasn't been good.

Edit: I will say that I haven't seen every minute of the preseason.  I only got to see the bits and pieces of the 2nd period and the whole 3rd period last night, and it sounds like the team looked better prior to that.  Maybe I've just missed the quality play.

Edited by gorbachav5
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Carrick deserves to stay in Anaheim to start the season. Hope he gets a shot as the #4C. Jones-Carrick-Rowney would be a solid 4th line.

Carrick plays like an AHL player though. Very hard working player and forechecks well, but the IQ level just isn't there at the nhl level. As long as Grant and Shore (who was slotted as Center in the preseason) are fixes on the roster, you're not going to see Carrick fit anywhere. If we're talking about moving a young AHL player to the Ducks roster, I would undoubtedly pick Lundestrom. He's a great player with strong puck possession abilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, gilligoos said:

Carrick plays like an AHL player though. Very hard working player and forechecks well, but the IQ level just isn't there at the nhl level. As long as Grant and Shore (who was slotted as Center in the preseason) are fixes on the roster, you're not going to see Carrick fit anywhere. If we're talking about moving a young AHL player to the Ducks roster, I would undoubtedly pick Lundestrom. He's a great player with strong puck possession abilities.

I like Carrick more than Grant, especially if this team is trying to play faster. Grant plays that slow, lumbering game (same reason he was totally ineffective in Pittsburgh but slid right back into the Ducks lineup when he returned last season) and IMO he lacks that extra ounce of aggression that I want to see from an energy line.** Carrick and Grant have identical contracts too, so if one has to go to San Diego, I'm sending Grant down and keeping Carrick. Otherwise, you're just sticking with the slower-pace guy. But you're also right to bring up Shore. Shore could slide in as the #4C too. He brings slightly more versatility and could move around the lineup in case of injury better than either Grant or Carrick. So maybe both Grant and Carrick should be sent south if they decide to slot Shore in as the #4C.

** IMO the Deslauriers signing is a clear signal that GMBM still wants his 4th line full of energy guys and bruisers, not full of skilled players. So while I like what I've seen from Lundestrom too, he's going to be a "cup-of-coffee" guy this season who can get a call-up whenever the top-9 centers get dinged. I'd also prefer to see him get top-6 minutes in San Diego with some skilled wingers rather than 10 minutes per night with Deslauriers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I though Carrick looked pretty rough.  My thought was that was a guy who's a career AHLer.  The guy I was impressed with was Lundestrom.  I think he deserves to stay up over Comtois, certainly, and if Steel is out for a while, give Lundestrom the spot between Rakell and Silf.

Overall, the team didn't look very good.  The Kings are awful and gave the Ducks a lot of opportunities to pick them apart, but the Ducks didn't.  They looked better in the defensive zone from Monday, but not good.  Their penalty kill was atrocious and got lucky the Kings can't shoot.  The only thing I really liked was the forecheck, but even that was haphazard, and the Ducks just don't have enough finishers to take advantage when they do force a turnover.

Preseason results are meaningless, but the play on the ice isn't, and it hasn't been good.

Edit: I will say that I haven't seen every minute of the preseason.  I only got to see the bits and pieces of the 2nd period and the whole 3rd period last night, and it sounds like the team looked better prior to that.  Maybe I've just missed the quality play.

The first period last night was their best I’ve seen but it hasn’t been a good or inspiring preseason overall. Not scoring enough is understandable but they are going to get reamed if they play this way defensively during the regular season.

Lundestrom has looked strong. I’m hoping that he can take his offensive game up a notch and think he’ll be in the opening night roster with Steel seemingly out. He just makes smart plays and looked good between rakell and silfverberg. Aside from him and our goalies, I’d say Benoit, Guhle and Groulx have impressed me more than I expected.

i thought that Carrick didn’t look bad last night. He could get a 4th line spot and has more upside than our big offseason acquisition Deslauriers. Not sure that Sherwood has done enough in the preseason to get a spot nor has Comtois.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Capfriendly reporting that Martinsen, Poturalski, Hakanpaa, De Leo and Boyle have all been placed on waivers today so they can be sent down to San Diego.

So much for GMBM's attempt to fill the gaping hole at RHD from the the Finnish Liiga's bargain rack. <_<

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The first period last night was their best I’ve seen but it hasn’t been a good or inspiring preseason overall. Not scoring enough is understandable but they are going to get reamed if they play this way defensively during the regular season.

Lundestrom has looked strong. I’m hoping that he can take his offensive game up a notch and think he’ll be in the opening night roster with Steel seemingly out. He just makes smart plays and looked good between rakell and silfverberg. Aside from him and our goalies, I’d say Benoit, Guhle and Groulx have impressed me more than I expected.

i thought that Carrick didn’t look bad last night. He could get a 4th line spot and has more upside than our big offseason acquisition Deslauriers. Not sure that Sherwood has done enough in the preseason to get a spot nor has Comtois.

Oh don't get me wrong.  Carrick deserves all the spots over Deslauriers, because Carrick actually plays hockey.  I just didn't see anything from him that separated him from Grant or Rowney or even (yuck) Shore.  And since it's not like Carrick has any potential left, I'd give the spots to the latter guys since they have experience and we know they can kill penalties.

Guhle was a nice pickup, but I think he's going to be exactly what we thought he was - a guy who can fly through the neutral zone and get scoring chances, but not someone with a good shot or a lot of defensive zone prowess.  He's got a place on this team, for sure, but I'd feel a lot better with him beside a defensive defensemen.  Speaking of which, Alex Petrovic was put on waivers and would be at least as good a third pairing right side d-man as anyone we have on our roster.  I'd go Lindholm - Manson, Larsson - Fowler, Guhle - Petrovic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I like Carrick more than Grant, especially if this team is trying to play faster. Grant plays that slow, lumbering game (same reason he was totally ineffective in Pittsburgh but slid right back into the Ducks lineup when he returned last season) and IMO he lacks that extra ounce of aggression that I want to see from an energy line.** Carrick and Grant have identical contracts too, so if one has to go to San Diego, I'm sending Grant down and keeping Carrick. Otherwise, you're just sticking with the slower-pace guy. But you're also right to bring up Shore. Shore could slide in as the #4C too. He brings slightly more versatility and could move around the lineup in case of injury better than either Grant or Carrick. So maybe both Grant and Carrick should be sent south if they decide to slot Shore in as the #4C.

** IMO the Deslauriers signing is a clear signal that GMBM still wants his 4th line full of energy guys and bruisers, not full of skilled players. So while I like what I've seen from Lundestrom too, he's going to be a "cup-of-coffee" guy this season who can get a call-up whenever the top-9 centers get dinged. I'd also prefer to see him get top-6 minutes in San Diego with some skilled wingers rather than 10 minutes per night with Deslauriers.

i have to agree with the others - Carrick made some pretty harsh mistakes last night and, in my view, lucked into evening out his contributions on the night.

and, i really think you're selling Grant short.  i was thinking this exact thought as i watched him last night - there's something to be said for someone who just does his fraking job, and Grant is there, reliable, and does what he's asked.  Carrick was taking chances, but they weren't well thought out (in my opinion).  admittedly, i'm a Grant fan, but as objectively as i can muster, i think what i saw last night tips pretty hard in favor of Grant (more so if you count the previous game too).

and... Grant doesn't lumber... he's efficient and self-protective in the preseason.  i think Pitt either misused him or, truly, just didn't have a slot for him in their system.  they have a LOT of firepower - looking at their last season stats, compared to the ducks, is not a fun thing - they have 5 players with more points than our top pointer - Getz - and Sid doubled up Getz.  very sobering.

If you just look at total stats last year, Grant comes out way behind Carrick.  i don't think there's a good argument FOR Grant if you just look at the stats... but over the past couple games this preseason, i thought Grant looked better, perhaps he anchors his linemates better?

aside - speaking of deciding on players:
- i didn't see much positive from Ritchie.  did he do any better in any of the other preseason games?
- sherwood was visibly working hard to try to earn a spot.  he seems to make decent decisions on the ice overall, but his execution is a little frazzled, and i can't tell if that's him overthinking his body movement, or if maybe his linemates aren't helping him out?  as of today, i want sherwood to get some serious chances on a good line, but i'm not sure he's earning it over some others as yet.
- Getz looked... rusty, but maybe working on it?
- the rest - the superkind all have flashes of greatness, and they seem pretty resilient, but they get put on their asses or run off the puck pretty easily by older/bigger players.  i'm optimistic that we'll see some really cool-looking plays here and there, not so optimistic that it'll turn into wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fisix said:

i have to agree with the others - Carrick made some pretty harsh mistakes last night and, in my view, lucked into evening out his contributions on the night.

and, i really think you're selling Grant short.  i was thinking this exact thought as i watched him last night - there's something to be said for someone who just does his fraking job, and Grant is there, reliable, and does what he's asked.  Carrick was taking chances, but they weren't well thought out (in my opinion).  admittedly, i'm a Grant fan, but as objectively as i can muster, i think what i saw last night tips pretty hard in favor of Grant (more so if you count the previous game too).

and... Grant doesn't lumber... he's efficient and self-protective in the preseason.  i think Pitt either misused him or, truly, just didn't have a slot for him in their system.  they have a LOT of firepower - looking at their last season stats, compared to the ducks, is not a fun thing - they have 5 players with more points than our top pointer - Getz - and Sid doubled up Getz.  very sobering.

If you just look at total stats last year, Grant comes out way behind Carrick.  i don't think there's a good argument FOR Grant if you just look at the stats... but over the past couple games this preseason, i thought Grant looked better, perhaps he anchors his linemates better?

aside - speaking of deciding on players:
- i didn't see much positive from Ritchie.  did he do any better in any of the other preseason games?
- sherwood was visibly working hard to try to earn a spot.  he seems to make decent decisions on the ice overall, but his execution is a little frazzled, and i can't tell if that's him overthinking his body movement, or if maybe his linemates aren't helping him out?  as of today, i want sherwood to get some serious chances on a good line, but i'm not sure he's earning it over some others as yet.
- Getz looked... rusty, but maybe working on it?
- the rest - the superkind all have flashes of greatness, and they seem pretty resilient, but they get put on their asses or run off the puck pretty easily by older/bigger players.  i'm optimistic that we'll see some really cool-looking plays here and there, not so optimistic that it'll turn into wins.

Could it be possible Ritchie is trade Bait?...it won't surprise me our team has the pieces and need to do something.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fisix said:

 

aside - speaking of deciding on players:
- i didn't see much positive from Ritchie.  did he do any better in any of the other preseason games?
- sherwood was visibly working hard to try to earn a spot.  he seems to make decent decisions on the ice overall, but his execution is a little frazzled, and i can't tell if that's him overthinking his body movement, or if maybe his linemates aren't helping him out?  as of today, i want sherwood to get some serious chances on a good line, but i'm not sure he's earning it over some others 

I find it interesting that Ritchie and Sherwood seem to have played more than others in the preseason so far (maybe i'm wrong on this?). As if Ducks management is giving Ritchie and Sherwood a much closer look to see who should that take bottom 6 winger role. I have never been a big Ritchie fan, and from my perspective it looks like Sherwood is outperforming Ritchie in terms of the new system being used. With guys like Terry, Jones, Comtois, and even Tracey and Morand 2-3 years down the line, Ritchie is slowly being pushed away from that future top 6 role he was asked to become during a stretch where the ducks had no youth depth on the wings. Time has changed Ritchie--he is no longer high  on the ducks depth chart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 4:56 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Capfriendly reporting that Martinsen, Poturalski, Hakanpaa, De Leo and Boyle have all been placed on waivers today so they can be sent down to San Diego.

So much for GMBM's attempt to fill the gaping hole at RHD from the the Finnish Liiga's bargain rack. <_<

Disappointing if you ask me.....I am wondering more and more how our Ducks will look like when Puck Drops on Oct3rd.

T-Minus 5 DAYS TILL ANAHEIM DUCKS ARE UNLEASHED.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Disappointing if you ask me.....I am wondering more and more how our Ducks will look like when Puck Drops on Oct3rd.

T-Minus 5 DAYS TILL ANAHEIM DUCKS ARE UNLEASHED.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Why is it disappointing Moose?  I don't think any of those sent down (all cleared waivers) are better than who we currently have on the roster.  I think the next set of cuts might disappoint more (thinking Comtois here).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Why is it disappointing Moose?  I don't think any of those sent down (all cleared waivers) are better than who we currently have on the roster.  I think the next set of cuts might disappoint more (thinking Comtois here).

Was Hoping Hanipakka would be Extra RHD...But I guess Ducks may need to either trade for RHD.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Was Hoping Hanipakka would be Extra RHD...But I guess Ducks may need to either trade for RHD.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Was hoping for something positive out of him, but he didn't look that great in preseason. maybe a month down in SD and more games in the smaller ice surface will benefit him. He has the size that we need and can deliver pucks well. Just don't think he is ready quite yet. Don't worry Moose, you may see him in the big club in November maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gilligoos said:

Was hoping for something positive out of him, but he didn't look that great in preseason. maybe a month down in SD and more games in the smaller ice surface will benefit him. He has the size that we need and can deliver pucks well. Just don't think he is ready quite yet. Don't worry Moose, you may see him in the big club in November maybe.

It will be in few days....But who knows what will happen. Always feel at home at Honda Center and Ducks.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...