Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
kpac1992

Patrik Laine

Recommended Posts

Want to turn a retool into a restart rapidly? Enter a trade for disgruntled Patrik Laine.

To get a player with that caliber your going to have to give up a heap of talent in order to get a pure sniper. Our beloved Ducks have not had a top 5 goal scoring sniper in who knows how long.

The pieces involved are going to hurt to type out but just think of the reward that you will recieve.

WPG receives: Rickard Rakell (LW, C, RW), Isac Lundestrom (C,LW), Bredan Guhle (D-Man), 2020 first round pick.

Thoughts behind this trade are as follows. Anaheim receives a legit scoring winger who replaces Rakell on the wing paired with Getz who although Father Time is catching up can still dish em out like no ones business. That also gives WPG cap flexibility and a top line threat to replace Laine in the line-up. Isac Lundestrom is included because our Ducks have a bounty of young centers and wings waiting in the weeds such as Steel, Comtois, and Terry. Our core defense is locked up (Fowler, Manson, and Lindholm) which leaves our new young star Brendan Guhle up on the block in this particular trade scenario. With the potential emergence of Larsson and Mahura, and the depth of Holzer, Del Zotto, and Hakanpaa gives us veteran presence, back up in case the injury bug bites, as well as potential for two breakout seasons in Larsson and Mahura. The one sweetener that I am slightly hesitant about including is giving up the first round pick in the 2020 draft. The 2020 draft class is already being talked about as one of the deepest ones in recent memory so my teeth grit as I toss that gold nugget into my potential trade. What makes me sigh a breath of relief is the two first round picks we received in 2019 (Tracey and Zegras) and how elite the Ducks's have been at developing young talent (i.e. current prospect pool). As hefty as this would be to see FOUR great pieces move on, the thrill of a 21 year old pure sniper on our team of young 20 somethings just makes me want to jump out of my chair and call GM BM.

Why would WPG do this trade? First, Laine just apologized to Bryan Little about degrading comments about playing on the second line and how he hasn't had true first line teammates to play with. The Jets do not want a locker room riff with their biggest star. Although Laine apologized and Little put it under the rug the awkwardness might still be there. Just from reading stories throughout summer time multiple RFA's seem like it is just the process and that they truly want to be part of their current team. However, Laine seems different. Why WPG would like Rakell? Laine scored 30 goals last year and RR is a 30 goal threat each year at 26 years of age. Isac Lundestrom can slot in as a young gun with Jack Roslovic and make a speedy line with all of the high octane offense WPG has to offer with their offensive studs. Brendan Guhle adds that young gun effect on the highly depleted WPG blue line which has lost Tyler Myers, Ben Chiarot, and Jacob Trouba. Dustin Byfuglien has been granted a leave of absence to mull retirement and is a true question mark heading into the season. Guhle has great upside and fits in with a rebuilding WPG blue line. I personally don't think WPG does this deal without a 2020 first rounder in the mix to select TWICE in a highly touted draft class.

Why does ANA do this deal? John Gibson and current prospect pool. The Duck's have what I think is the best goalie in the NHL. Strong goaltending wins championships and we have one of the strongest duos and starters in the business. We have a 26 year old tender that is entering his prime and with the Duck's being dead last in goals for last year seems to be his only Achille's heal. What would help that? Oh a 21 year old who can put up 40 with his eyes closed. Everyone says the game is getting faster and we finally have players who have grown up in that era and a coach who fully believes in that system. When you acquire a player of Laine's caliber the playoff or bust implication is immediately put on you as a team. Is it a risk to put that pressure on such a young team full of inexperience? Yes, but that is why you have a system in place to set these players up for success throughout junior, college, and into San Diego. I don't know about you all, but I sense a hungry young group of guys who play speedy and are motivated to have NHL success.

Veteran Leadership: Getz, Silf, and Henrique are the veteran forward leadership group who have to acknowledge that the young guys are here to help. The reason I put such an onus on the young guys is because this is a young mans NHL. Look at all the 21-23 year old RFA's looking for top earnings in the league. Its true speed is taking over the game and I believe the Duck's have one of the best crops hitting the NHL. It used to be a watch them develop and early-late 20's is when we go for it kind of league, but tides have changed. I believe the younger and speedier you are with the right mix of veterans is the true key. Our defense is young and underrated with the likes of Lindholm, Fowler, and Manson. The last few cup champions (WSH and STL) in my opinion have a worse D group than ANA but have hit the promiseland. Do we have a Burns, Karlsson, or Subban? A Josi, Hedman, or Giordano? No, but we do have three D-Men all the teams would love to have. We also have 2 prospects in J Larsson and J Mahura that have immense potential. A steady group of veterans that can hold their own we also possess. 

Screw the retool: Do you want to watch your team make a ten year tank like TOR to finally get good? I feel like VAN is finally starting to stretch their legs since the 2011 Finals! EDM has the best player I've ever seen and they in my opinion are still playing second fiddle to the Ducks in all aspects. OTT wants to be a "contender" in 2021.

Synopsis: I am not saying one trade and one player is going to make you a Stanley cup contender. However, I believe that the Duck's long standing development of young players and a solid veteran presence is worth this trade. If I were GM BM I would believe in this group and believe in the systems he has put in place for over 11 years now. Is it a gamble with the upcoming Seattle draft? Sure. Is it a gamble to bet on this team? Sure. That is why you keep developing young talent. When you see something great in life you have to go for it and while I respect the process sometimes things are worth the gamble.

Thanks for reading.

My best to all Ducks fans,

Craig

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guhle I don’t would give, we have a thin defense depth. Not give our possibly 4th defender away. BM wants first a defender... now he asked for Ristolainen...

But because the Seattle Draft its a good idea to put 3-4 players for Laine. Ristolainen and Laine would be great. Connor ist also to have...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Dreams... Ever since Brian Burke resigned, this franchise is settled down for mediocracy. Can anybody imagine current GMBM being in charge in 2006 and going after Scott Neidermayer or Chris Pronger or Teemy Selanne? Hahaha...

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kpac1992 said:

Want to turn a retool into a restart rapidly? Enter a trade for disgruntled Patrik Laine.

To get a player with that caliber your going to have to give up a heap of talent in order to get a pure sniper. Our beloved Ducks have not had a top 5 goal scoring sniper in who knows how long.

The pieces involved are going to hurt to type out but just think of the reward that you will recieve.

WPG receives: Rickard Rakell (LW, C, RW), Isac Lundestrom (C,LW), Bredan Guhle (D-Man), 2020 first round pick.

Thoughts behind this trade are as follows. Anaheim receives a legit scoring winger who replaces Rakell on the wing paired with Getz who although Father Time is catching up can still dish em out like no ones business. That also gives WPG cap flexibility and a top line threat to replace Laine in the line-up. Isac Lundestrom is included because our Ducks have a bounty of young centers and wings waiting in the weeds such as Steel, Comtois, and Terry. Our core defense is locked up (Fowler, Manson, and Lindholm) which leaves our new young star Brendan Guhle up on the block in this particular trade scenario. With the potential emergence of Larsson and Mahura, and the depth of Holzer, Del Zotto, and Hakanpaa gives us veteran presence, back up in case the injury bug bites, as well as potential for two breakout seasons in Larsson and Mahura. The one sweetener that I am slightly hesitant about including is giving up the first round pick in the 2020 draft. The 2020 draft class is already being talked about as one of the deepest ones in recent memory so my teeth grit as I toss that gold nugget into my potential trade. What makes me sigh a breath of relief is the two first round picks we received in 2019 (Tracey and Zegras) and how elite the Ducks's have been at developing young talent (i.e. current prospect pool). As hefty as this would be to see FOUR great pieces move on, the thrill of a 21 year old pure sniper on our team of young 20 somethings just makes me want to jump out of my chair and call GM BM.

Why would WPG do this trade? First, Laine just apologized to Bryan Little about degrading comments about playing on the second line and how he hasn't had true first line teammates to play with. The Jets do not want a locker room riff with their biggest star. Although Laine apologized and Little put it under the rug the awkwardness might still be there. Just from reading stories throughout summer time multiple RFA's seem like it is just the process and that they truly want to be part of their current team. However, Laine seems different. Why WPG would like Rakell? Laine scored 30 goals last year and RR is a 30 goal threat each year at 26 years of age. Isac Lundestrom can slot in as a young gun with Jack Roslovic and make a speedy line with all of the high octane offense WPG has to offer with their offensive studs. Brendan Guhle adds that young gun effect on the highly depleted WPG blue line which has lost Tyler Myers, Ben Chiarot, and Jacob Trouba. Dustin Byfuglien has been granted a leave of absence to mull retirement and is a true question mark heading into the season. Guhle has great upside and fits in with a rebuilding WPG blue line. I personally don't think WPG does this deal without a 2020 first rounder in the mix to select TWICE in a highly touted draft class.

Why does ANA do this deal? John Gibson and current prospect pool. The Duck's have what I think is the best goalie in the NHL. Strong goaltending wins championships and we have one of the strongest duos and starters in the business. We have a 26 year old tender that is entering his prime and with the Duck's being dead last in goals for last year seems to be his only Achille's heal. What would help that? Oh a 21 year old who can put up 40 with his eyes closed. Everyone says the game is getting faster and we finally have players who have grown up in that era and a coach who fully believes in that system. When you acquire a player of Laine's caliber the playoff or bust implication is immediately put on you as a team. Is it a risk to put that pressure on such a young team full of inexperience? Yes, but that is why you have a system in place to set these players up for success throughout junior, college, and into San Diego. I don't know about you all, but I sense a hungry young group of guys who play speedy and are motivated to have NHL success.

Veteran Leadership: Getz, Silf, and Henrique are the veteran forward leadership group who have to acknowledge that the young guys are here to help. The reason I put such an onus on the young guys is because this is a young mans NHL. Look at all the 21-23 year old RFA's looking for top earnings in the league. Its true speed is taking over the game and I believe the Duck's have one of the best crops hitting the NHL. It used to be a watch them develop and early-late 20's is when we go for it kind of league, but tides have changed. I believe the younger and speedier you are with the right mix of veterans is the true key. Our defense is young and underrated with the likes of Lindholm, Fowler, and Manson. The last few cup champions (WSH and STL) in my opinion have a worse D group than ANA but have hit the promiseland. Do we have a Burns, Karlsson, or Subban? A Josi, Hedman, or Giordano? No, but we do have three D-Men all the teams would love to have. We also have 2 prospects in J Larsson and J Mahura that have immense potential. A steady group of veterans that can hold their own we also possess. 

Screw the retool: Do you want to watch your team make a ten year tank like TOR to finally get good? I feel like VAN is finally starting to stretch their legs since the 2011 Finals! EDM has the best player I've ever seen and they in my opinion are still playing second fiddle to the Ducks in all aspects. OTT wants to be a "contender" in 2021.

Synopsis: I am not saying one trade and one player is going to make you a Stanley cup contender. However, I believe that the Duck's long standing development of young players and a solid veteran presence is worth this trade. If I were GM BM I would believe in this group and believe in the systems he has put in place for over 11 years now. Is it a gamble with the upcoming Seattle draft? Sure. Is it a gamble to bet on this team? Sure. That is why you keep developing young talent. When you see something great in life you have to go for it and while I respect the process sometimes things are worth the gamble.

Thanks for reading.

My best to all Ducks fans,

Craig

 

 

 

I don't think that trade would work for Winnipeg since they are trying to win and contend right now. My guess is that Winnipeg would want Rakell and Manson (their defense has been crushed this offseason) in return for Laine in a theoretical trade. Our defense is already horribly thin and our top 3 guys are not nearly good enough to carry this team the way that teams with truly elite defensive groups can. I don't think that we have the draft picks or prospects to part with either and agree that the 2020 draft is not a draft that you want to give your pick up for. Another top-10 pick would be huge for the Ducks in the long run. Gibson is fantastic, but he can't carry this team the way that Giguere did in 03'. The league has put a premium on scoring (which the Ducks lack) and solid defensive structure (which we also have lacked). 

 Even getting Laine, I don't think speeds up the Ducks rebuild to contending again. Steel, Terry and Jones are still very unproven and are just entering their first full NHL seasons. We don't know what we have in them as NHL players at this point. We don't have to be awful for half a decade to contend again, but we aren't going to do that after one or two bad seasons. My big concern is that management will try to speed the process up too early and then we just end up being like the Minnesota Wild. Good enough to get into the playoffs, but never a real chance to win a Cup all while not being in a position to draft top-end players. Being in a perpetual state of mediocrity is worse than going through a couple of bad seasons lol. I'm for seeing how this season plays out with Eakins and then making moves next summer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly Ducks have the pieces....Yet they need to ask....who will we give up for him.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KPAC1992....that's a steep price for a guy thought of as one of the most overrated players in the league by his peers.  I would pass on the trade with the terms you outlined.

Edited by Fowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2019 at 8:33 PM, Fowl said:

KPAC1992....that's a steep price for a guy thought of as one of the most overrated players in the league by his peers.  I would pass on the trade with the terms you outlined.

ditto.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fisix said:

ditto.

 

On 9/22/2019 at 8:33 PM, Fowl said:

KPAC1992....that's a steep price for a guy thought of as one of the most overrated players in the league by his peers.  I would pass on the trade with the terms you outlined.

Is he really considered overrated by his peers?? He seems like he has so much potential...I mean, lets not forget, he hasn't been playing with the best players very often... :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

 

Is he really considered overrated by his peers?? He seems like he has so much potential...I mean, lets not forget, he hasn't been playing with the best players very often... :P 

I would say that he’s just extremely one dimensional instead of an “entire package” kind of player. He’s so-so defensively, and his skating is pretty average. Sure knows how to put the puck in the net from the face-off circle though. 

Of course any GM would jump at the chance to acquire him, but at what price? I’m not going to value him over Scheiffle or even Blake Wheeler. Those guys are “complete packages”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yeaitsme said:

I would say that he’s just extremely one dimensional instead of an “entire package” kind of player. He’s so-so defensively, and his skating is pretty average. Sure knows how to put the puck in the net from the face-off circle though. 

Of course any GM would jump at the chance to acquire him, but at what price? I’m not going to value him over Scheiffle or even Blake Wheeler. Those guys are “complete packages”. 

He's also only what 21? Ovi isn't really considered a complete package either. You don't hear the caps complaining too much. If he was to grow into the Finnish Flash 2.0 that would be great. But he's an elite goal scorer, something that we lack. I'd say that OP has a proposal that the jets would consider. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

WPG receives: Rickard Rakell (LW, C, RW), Isac Lundestrom (C,LW), Bredan Guhle (D-Man), 2020 first round pick.

This is a massive overpay. That's a multiple 30+ goal scorer (Rakell), a recent late 1st rounder (Lundestrom, 2018), a recent 2nd rounder (Guhle, 2015) AND another 1st rounder?!?! Nuh-uh. 

A direct comparable is when Tyler Seguin was traded to Dallas in 2013. Seguin was also the #2 overall pick just three years prior to the trade. Seguin was shipped with Rich Peverley (+ an inconsequential prospect) for Loui Eriksson (comparable to Rakell), Reilly Smith (former 3rd rounder and, at the time, a borderline NHLer), Matt Fraser (undrafted, career minor leaguer) and Joe Morrow (recent late 1st rounder).

Based on the Seguin trade, fair market value in a Laine trade would be Rakell + Devin Shore + Deven Sideroff + Jacob Larsson <----> Laine and Adam Lowry.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

This is a massive overpay. That's a multiple 30+ goal scorer (Rakell), a recent late 1st rounder (Lundestrom, 2018), a recent 2nd rounder (Guhle, 2015) AND another 1st rounder?!?! Nuh-uh. 

A direct comparable is when Tyler Seguin was traded to Dallas in 2013. Seguin was also the #2 overall pick just three years prior to the trade. Seguin was shipped with Rich Peverley (+ an inconsequential prospect) for Loui Eriksson (comparable to Rakell), Reilly Smith (former 3rd rounder and, at the time, a borderline NHLer), Matt Fraser (undrafted, career minor leaguer) and Joe Morrow (recent late 1st rounder).

Based on the Seguin trade, fair market value in a Laine trade would be Rakell + Devin Shore + Deven Sideroff + Jacob Larsson <----> Laine and Adam Lowry.

 

He may be a decent comparable but Laine has scored WAY more goals than Seguin to the same point. 56 to 110 in goals and 121 points to Laine's 184. Though Seguin also had a lockout shortened third year. Still, as a scorer, Laine far surpasses him. So no, that trade proposal would have the jets hang up the phone the second you start mentioning other players besides Rakell. Now whether or not he would improve our roster given the players we would have to give up is another question. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Laine is worth at least Rakell ++ even though Rakell himself is a 30 goal scorer. 

And that's not even mentioning the fact that Seguin was seen as a problem player in the locker room or something of that sort, which was why he was traded to begin with. 

Edited by g20topdogg
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

He may be a decent comparable but Laine has scored WAY more goals than Seguin to the same point. 56 to 110 in goals and 121 points to Laine's 184. Though Seguin also had a lockout shortened third year. Still, as a scorer, Laine far surpasses him. So no, that trade proposal would have the jets hang up the phone the second you start mentioning other players besides Rakell. Now whether or not he would improve our roster given the players we would have to give up is another question. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Laine is worth at least Rakell ++ even though Rakell himself is a 30 goal scorer. 

Laine had a FAR better rookie year, but by year 3 Seguin was putting up higher point per game numbers and they were/are actually trending in opposite directions (Seguin posted 84 points in year 4 right after the trade. No chance Laine does that this season). Seguin was also learning to be a complete, all-around pivot (while playing behind Bergeron and Krejci on Boston’s depth chart) while Laine excels at playing on only half the rink and has shown no ability or interest in playing in all situations. You can look at career scoring totals all you want, but no NHL GM worth his salt would want a situational sniper who plays a 100’ game over a potentially elite #1C like Seguin. You build franchises around #1Cs. Malcontent scoring wingers, not so much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

He's also only what 21? Ovi isn't really considered a complete package either. You don't hear the caps complaining too much. If he was to grow into the Finnish Flash 2.0 that would be great. But he's an elite goal scorer, something that we lack. I'd say that OP has a proposal that the jets would consider. 

Ovi was how old once he finally started to realize that defense actually meant something? I’ll give you the benefit when you say Laine is young and has many years to become that all around player. I’m not giving up Rakell plus decent futures to wait 3 years until he becomes that. Laine is tainted and we all know it! Who’s he going to play with, Getzlaf and Rakell? Getzlaf is still the best passer in the league in my opinion , but he’s not nearly as good all around anymore as the Winnipeg boys he’s talked about that he “never gets to play with”. 

I cant be the only one who doesn’t want to pay Laine what he thinks he deserves. On a team where we have people like Steel and Comtois about to make the roster, he just isn't worth it. He can stay in Winnipeg and under perform and whine about his line mates. 

Edited by yeaitsme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laine is no Teemu Selanne.....and He has re-signed with Jets 2.0 so Thread is now Closed.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Laine is no Teemu Selanne.....and He has re-signed with Jets 2.0 so Thread is now Closed.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Should have been in Rumors, Wishes & Speculations. Time to close this and move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Should have been in Rumors, Wishes & Speculations. Time to close this and move on.

Agreed.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...