Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Belarus

2020 End of Season Predictions?

Recommended Posts

The 19/20 season is ready to begin!  Does anyone wish to predict where the Ducks will be in the standings at the end of this season?

I predict 7th in points in the West.  Should be good for 1st wild card or possibly 3rd in division.

(Note - I can hear all of you shrieking with disbelief...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team is already 10 points better than last year’s 80 point team just by firing Carlyle. I say 92-93 points. Bubble team. May just miss the playoffs by a point or two.

That said, if GMBM can make an in season hockey trade for a legit RHD, this prediction gets bumped to a 3rd place finish in the division.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

This team is already 10 points better than last year’s 80 point team just by firing Carlyle. I say 92-93 points. Bubble team. May just miss the playoffs by a point or two.

That said, if GMBM can make an in season hockey trade for a legit RHD, this prediction gets bumped to a 3rd place finish in the division.

I agree. Health will be a key though. Can't afford to lose Gibson or a significant D (4, 42, 47) for any length of time. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the Guhle/Fowler pairing. Was kind of expecting a train wreck. Team will definitely be more entertaining. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dukitup said:

I agree. Health will be a key though. Can't afford to lose Gibson or a significant D (4, 42, 47) for any length of time. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the Guhle/Fowler pairing. Was kind of expecting a train wreck. Team will definitely be more entertaining. 

Guhle has a mid-body injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miss the playoffs but looking better doing it than last year. Draft in the 5-10 range unless we win the lottery.

8 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Guhle has a mid-body injury.

He's on pace to be our new oft-injured Duck.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

This team is already 10 points better than last year’s 80 point team just by firing Carlyle. I say 92-93 points. Bubble team. May just miss the playoffs by a point or two.

That said, if GMBM can make an in season hockey trade for a legit RHD, this prediction gets bumped to a 3rd place finish in the division.

This. Just outside wildcard. Health still a large factor. Fear that Getz will get the injury bug this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too Soon Very Too Soon to predict where our Ducks will Finish at this moment.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fisix said:

This. Just outside wildcard. Health still a large factor. Fear that Getz will get the injury bug this time. 

I think we’d sneak into the 3rd spot of the Pacific than get the wildcard if we are in a playoff race. I just saw Calgary’s goaltending situation and if that goes south then it opens up the division. 

The Ducks also have a tough stretch to start the season. 11 of the first 14 games are against playoff teams from last year with 8 being on the road, that includes an east coast swing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say chances are 40/60. Guhle, Steel, Gibson, Fowler, Terry are injury prone and will miss a significant portion of the season. Without staying healthy Ducks chances are far fetched.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bold takes 2k20 in order of most to least likely:

-Rakell has a career year 

-Guhle blossoms into a glorious sale rack version of Hampus while the rest of the defence not so miraculously remembers how to hockey again

-Getzlaf puts up his most Adam Oates season yet with <10 goals and >65 assists plus a Masterton nomination for all the years of shade from Mark Messier

-Ducks over-perform 2011 style and ride an exciting March into a pacific wildcard spot against the division winning Flames who promptly get swept (side note: Flames get swept regardless of who they play)

-J.S. Gibson leads them to the conference finals with a GAA under 1.30GAA

-Silfverberg channels his inner Silfverberg and carries the team through to the SCFs

-GMBM doesn't panic trade for a Mark Boroweicki-tier player during a mid January slump

yes I have been drinking tonight why do you ask? (seriously though, I feel like this team will exceed expectations which are already negatively skewed because of how hilariously awful they were in the last year and a half under Carlyle)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Bold takes 2k20 in order of most to least likely:

-Rakell has a career year 

-Guhle blossoms into a glorious sale rack version of Hampus while the rest of the defence not so miraculously remembers how to hockey again

-Getzlaf puts up his most Adam Oates season yet with <10 goals and >65 assists plus a Masterton nomination for all the years of shade from Mark Messier

-Ducks over-perform 2011 style and ride an exciting March into a pacific wildcard spot against the division winning Flames who promptly get swept (side note: Flames get swept regardless of who they play)

-J.S. Gibson leads them to the conference finals with a GAA under 1.30GAA

-Silfverberg channels his inner Silfverberg and carries the team through to the SCFs

-GMBM doesn't panic trade for a Mark Boroweicki-tier player during a mid January slump

yes I have been drinking tonight why do you ask? (seriously though, I feel like this team will exceed expectations which are already negatively skewed because of how hilariously awful they were in the last year and a half under Carlyle)

That's Really Bold but I much prefer to see what our Ducks do in 82 games this season.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DT2008 said:

Lose for Lafreniere. 

Too Soon....btw if anyone wants to know Ducks have Place Sam Carrick and Daniel Sprong on Waivers.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Bold takes 2k20 in order of most to least likely:

-Rakell has a career year 

-Guhle blossoms into a glorious sale rack version of Hampus while the rest of the defence not so miraculously remembers how to hockey again

-Getzlaf puts up his most Adam Oates season yet with <10 goals and >65 assists plus a Masterton nomination for all the years of shade from Mark Messier

-Ducks over-perform 2011 style and ride an exciting March into a pacific wildcard spot against the division winning Flames who promptly get swept (side note: Flames get swept regardless of who they play)

-J.S. Gibson leads them to the conference finals with a GAA under 1.30GAA

-Silfverberg channels his inner Silfverberg and carries the team through to the SCFs

-GMBM doesn't panic trade for a Mark Boroweicki-tier player during a mid January slump

yes I have been drinking tonight why do you ask? (seriously though, I feel like this team will exceed expectations which are already negatively skewed because of how hilariously awful they were in the last year and a half under Carlyle)

I'm with ya!!

Ducks win the Stanley Cup...that's my end of season prediction every year, each year, always and forever.

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I'm with ya!!

Ducks win the Stanley Cup...that's my end of season prediction every year, each year, always and forever.

I will hold you too it...in mean time 3 DAYS TILL ANAHEIM DUCKS OUR TEAM WILL BE UNLEASHED.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

I will hold you too it...in mean time 3 DAYS TILL ANAHEIM DUCKS OUR TEAM WILL BE UNLEASHED.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the potential roster, not sure I see much that moves the dial from where they finished last year.    Out of the playoffs.  Just ahead of LA and Vancouver in the division. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DT2008 said:

Looking at the potential roster, not sure I see much that moves the dial from where they finished last year.    Out of the playoffs.  Just ahead of LA and Vancouver in the division. 

I have some expectations...YES I do...I expect them to surprise some teams they will face it be it a Foe or Rival in the coming weeks.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DT2008 said:

Looking at the potential roster, not sure I see much that moves the dial from where they finished last year.    Out of the playoffs.  Just ahead of LA and Vancouver in the division. 

FWIW, the Ducks went 11-8-1 over the final 20 games. That projects to something like 45-32-5 (95 points) over an 82-game season. And that was with GMIHCBM behind the bench and with the kids getting more-than-deserved playing time. Throw in some real coaching from Eakins and some solid play from the vets (and Gibby) and the needle doesn't need to move far from the end of last season to get the Ducks into the playoffs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or. You recognize that most of the playoff spots were secured at that time, and this is, at best, a .500 hockey team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it kind of depends on how the Pacific division does.

If Calgary has a good regular season again, and I don't see why they would drop much besides maybe goaltending concerns, they should be a lock for the playoffs. They probably won't get as many points this year as last year.

Vegas should be a lock, they look to be the strongest team in the division. 

I think the sharks aren't going to be as good this year as the prior year. They lost Pavelski. Jones is still a giant hole. Thornton is another year older and slower. They just got a new captain. Idk the best offensive defensemen sure, but besides that you can argue they got worse. 

Vancouver and Arizona are on the upswing and are wildcards as to whether or not they have what it takes to reach the playoffs. 

Edmonton has some great players no doubt but they seriously lack depth. Also that goaltending duo... idk to me they're not a playoff team. But there have been some positive changes. 

The kings are going to be lol kings. Hopefully they will be terrible, but still lose out on getting the number one draft pick. Lol kings. But seriously, they haven't improved in the off season and look like they badly need a roster rebuild at this point.

The ducks? Stanley cup champions! 

But really I think if the kids can provide that scoring touch, they should have plenty of opportunities now (Perry gone. Kesler gone) to do so, we may have a very interesting season. I'd say 50/50 we get in. But the kids would really have to impress. The biggest factor would be if injuries happen again. This team just can't stay healthy for the past 2-3 seasons. I'm excited for this year. It's probably the first time, in a long time, that we have so many kids on the opening night roster like this. When you take off the rose coloured glasses, we're not a cup contender. Maybe a bubble team at best. But the Pacific is actually wide open to some surprises this year, as is this team. The kids have the potential. Hopefully we get to see that potential get realized this year! Go Ducks!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DT2008 said:

Or. You recognize that most of the playoff spots were secured at that time, and this is, at best, a .500 hockey team. 

Lol. That 20-game home stretch started February 23rd. The Tampa Bay Lightning didn’t even clinch a playoff spot until March 9th.

The Ducks certainly beat some bad teams during that stretch (Vancouver, Edmonton, LA), but they also beat the Avs (twice), Preds and Sharks before any of them clinched a playoff spot, and they also beat Montreal, Florida and Arizona at a time when all three were pressing hard for a playoff spot. It’s false to claim those games were meaningless for the Ducks’ opponents because their playoff spots were secured at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I think it kind of depends on how the Pacific division does.

If Calgary has a good regular season again, and I don't see why they would drop much besides maybe goaltending concerns, they should be a lock for the playoffs. They probably won't get as many points this year as last year.

Vegas should be a lock, they look to be the strongest team in the division. 

I think the sharks aren't going to be as good this year as the prior year. They lost Pavelski. Jones is still a giant hole. Thornton is another year older and slower. They just got a new captain. Idk the best offensive defensemen sure, but besides that you can argue they got worse. 

Vancouver and Arizona are on the upswing and are wildcards as to whether or not they have what it takes to reach the playoffs. 

Edmonton has some great players no doubt but they seriously lack depth. Also that goaltending duo... idk to me they're not a playoff team. But there have been some positive changes. 

The kings are going to be lol kings. Hopefully they will be terrible, but still lose out on getting the number one draft pick. Lol kings. But seriously, they haven't improved in the off season and look like they badly need a roster rebuild at this point.

The ducks? Stanley cup champions! 

But really I think if the kids can provide that scoring touch, they should have plenty of opportunities now (Perry gone. Kesler gone) to do so, we may have a very interesting season. I'd say 50/50 we get in. But the kids would really have to impress. The biggest factor would be if injuries happen again. This team just can't stay healthy for the past 2-3 seasons. I'm excited for this year. It's probably the first time, in a long time, that we have so many kids on the opening night roster like this. When you take off the rose coloured glasses, we're not a cup contender. Maybe a bubble team at best. But the Pacific is actually wide open to some surprises this year, as is this team. The kids have the potential. Hopefully we get to see that potential get realized this year! Go Ducks!!!

To me Vegas is the only lock for the playoffs in the Pacific at this point. Calgary and San Jose will likely be good, but I could see both taking a step back.

San Jose have lost a lot of forward depth in Pavelski and Donskoi. That's 100 points they have to replace right there. Jones is terrible also. If they lose one of Burns/Karlsson to injury at any point they could miss the playoffs entirely IMO.

Calgary have all the firepower and will score goals but I find it hard to believe that Giordano will be as good as he was last year. That goes for all of their defensemen. Their goaltending also is not great. They will give up a lot of goals.

Vancouver and Arizona should both be better. If Arizona can stay healthy (they had about as much luck as Anaheim did last season) I think they're a wildcard team. Vancouver improved a lot over the offseason and their kids should be even better. If they don't make a wildcard spot this season I think they will next season.

Edmonton are top heavy and their goaltending sucks too. Can't see them getting much better. They might be slightly better defensively with Tippett behind the bench.

The Kings are going for the #1 overall pick.

Overall after Vegas I think 2-3 in the division will probably still be Calgary and San Jose, but honestly depending on injuries and goaltending the 2-3 spots and at least one wild card could go to any combination of San Jose, Calgary, Vancouver, Arizona, Anaheim. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

Ducks will be great this season.  Your read it here first.

Go Ducks.  Playoffs are a lock.  From there on, who knows.

Ok well Might as well Join the Bandwagon...ANAHEIM DUCKS WILL BE GREAT.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 8:01 PM, g20topdogg said:

I think it kind of depends on how the Pacific division does.

If Calgary has a good regular season again, and I don't see why they would drop much besides maybe goaltending concerns, they should be a lock for the playoffs. They probably won't get as many points this year as last year.

Vegas should be a lock, they look to be the strongest team in the division. 

I think the sharks aren't going to be as good this year as the prior year. They lost Pavelski. Jones is still a giant hole. Thornton is another year older and slower. They just got a new captain. Idk the best offensive defensemen sure, but besides that you can argue they got worse. 

Vancouver and Arizona are on the upswing and are wildcards as to whether or not they have what it takes to reach the playoffs. 

Edmonton has some great players no doubt but they seriously lack depth. Also that goaltending duo... idk to me they're not a playoff team. But there have been some positive changes. 

The kings are going to be lol kings. Hopefully they will be terrible, but still lose out on getting the number one draft pick. Lol kings. But seriously, they haven't improved in the off season and look like they badly need a roster rebuild at this point.

The ducks? Stanley cup champions! 

But really I think if the kids can provide that scoring touch, they should have plenty of opportunities now (Perry gone. Kesler gone) to do so, we may have a very interesting season. I'd say 50/50 we get in. But the kids would really have to impress. The biggest factor would be if injuries happen again. This team just can't stay healthy for the past 2-3 seasons. I'm excited for this year. It's probably the first time, in a long time, that we have so many kids on the opening night roster like this. When you take off the rose coloured glasses, we're not a cup contender. Maybe a bubble team at best. But the Pacific is actually wide open to some surprises this year, as is this team. The kids have the potential. Hopefully we get to see that potential get realized this year! Go Ducks!!!

The injuries may have been due to RC riding his top players like it was 2007 every single night? Not sure. Hopefully they stay healthy this year while doing some damage. 
 

anyhow to answer the threads question. I think they could be a wild card team (7-8). Like DLaw says they were playing really exciting hockey at the end of last season and showed great promise. They will be LOTS quicker too this season. We gotta also remember that the team has some cash $$ to acquire another nice player and if Bob gets that acquisition right (D man....) then this team gets even better. But they could also not make it and it would not surprise. One thing for certain will be that other teams will underestimate the Ducks to which I hope the Ducks will rise to the occasion and win! 

Edited by RobD360

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ducks will compete with the Coyotes for the 8th playoff spot. 

The Ducks will allow the same or slightly less goals, and they will score more goals than last season.

They'll be less streaky, and will be closer to even on the goal differential as a result. 

They'll have at least 4 twenty goal scorers. 

The Ducks will get more balanced officiating this season... 

These are my wild guesses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...