The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Luca Sbisa Returning

Jonathan Ericsson, Luca Sbisa Placed On Waivers

OCTOBER 22, 2019 AT 11:08 AM CDT | BY GAVIN LEE LEAVE A COMMENT

According to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet, the Detroit Red Wings have placed Jonathan Ericsson on waivers. That must mean he’s healthy enough to return, given he has been on injured reserve all season. Luca Sbisa has also been placed on waivers, and Friedman reports that he’ll be signing with the Anaheim Ducks after skating with the New York Islanders on a professional tryout.

Sbisa meanwhile is just trying to hold on to an NHL career that was so promising a few years ago. The 29-year old defenseman has played in just 39 regular season games since the start of the 2017-18 season, including just nine last year with the Islanders. A first round pick of the Philadelphia Flyers in 2008, his skating ability made him a strong option early in his career. Perhaps the Ducks can reclaim some greatness out of the veteran, as they were the team that Sbisa recorded his career-high 24 points for in 2011-12.

On Luca Sbisa, he is signing w/ANA. Ducks have to clear him.
  • Thanks 1

I think I've read elsewhere that this is a San Diego move, although I'm horrified to think that this might mean Guhle is going to be out for an extended period and Sbisa is the plan for replacing him in the lineup.  That's a scary thought.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I think I've read elsewhere that this is a San Diego move, although I'm horrified to think that this might mean Guhle is going to be out for an extended period and Sbisa is the plan for replacing him in the lineup.  That's a scary thought.

Ditto.  I mean, we have all kinds of room... but i'll have to look to see what Luca will cost.

20 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Wait, why not claim Ericsson?  Is he too expensive for his age?

Luca - $1.5M
Ericsson - $4.25M

• Thanks 1

Imho this is a Depth move by the Ducks.....and it's more likely a Move to help San Diego.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Bargain Bob in full swing, I see. To be expected, though, given our hot garbage D situation system-wise. Both SD and Ducks are starved for quality D-men leaving the likes of Rakell to be 'a force on the PK' as stated in some pregame articles.

I wonder why he fell out with the Islanders, hope it wasn't his Ritchie-level boneheaded plays.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Imho this is a Depth move by the Ducks.....and it's more likely a Move to help San Diego.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Help San Diego with $1.5 mil salary? Bob wouldn't be Bob if he didn't make at least 2 or 3 bad signings per season.

56 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Help San Diego with $1.5 mil salary? Bob wouldn't be Bob if he didn't make at least 2 or 3 bad signings per season.

Still much better than wanting to trade Kase for Faulk lol

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

Not sure why he's getting 1.5 when he hardly played last year. MDZ is league minimum plus we're already into the season.???

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Southbayduck said:

CapFriendly shows he was signed by the Ducks for $750,000.

Was surprised to see him go, years ago. Would rather give the kids a chance.

Oh ok thanks for the clear up. I've seen 1.5 a few times and thought that's pretty high. 

Would that be considered a jerk move by the Jets GM? I am wondering if there is some unwritten rule for these types of signings and other GMs pouncing on the opportunity. Obviously Sbisa agreed to sign with the Ducks knowing that he will be sent to SD to help out the Gulls, and the fact he still has a home in OC makes the deal fair for both sides. Not sure how Sbisa feels now that he just got picked up by the Jets. At the end of the day, kudos for him if he does get into an NHL lineup regularly up there.

• Like 2

wow.  i don't remember how it works with salaries, but i think when you're put on waivers, the team can reduce your pay.  twice put on waivers, can get pay reduced twice?

wonder if we're out of pocket on the deal.  seems like poor planning on our part.  Luca is probably a bit unhappy.

sorry - i was incorrect.  waiving a player doesn't reduce his salary, it just removes his cap hit from the NHL team (for the pro-rated duration he's down in the AHL).

Luca didn't have an active contract with anyone, the $1.5M was what he was paid for a 1 year deal by the Isles, for last season, so he was a free agent and he inked a fresh new contract with the Ducks for $750k.

And, the Ducks promptly waived him, and the Jets, who lost Bfuff, claimed him. 

The Ducks will get a transfer fee from the Jets, but the Jetts also pick up the remainder of Luca's contract.  We'd only be out of pocket if the transfer fee is less than anything we obligated ourselves to pay him as part of a signing bonus, for example, OR the prorated portion for 1 day (or perhaps less) on his new player contract.

This doesn't sound like something that was planned - I can't think of a reason how that could possibly be true - so Luca was probably blindsided along with the Ducks.  

Such is the life of the professional hockey player, but I bet the Ducks aren't happy.  Luca might be feeling a little whipsawed between SoCal weather and (friking) Minnesota.  Sheesh.

• Sad 1

So Much for Sbisa with the Ducks...shortest stay thus far in Ducks History just happen...sheesh our team has no luck making moves to bolster Defence Corps.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

It's SOOOO cold in Winnipeg...

I wonder what Laine will have to say about Luca...

I imagine he probaly would say "Welcome to Winterfell"....j/k. Anyways this puts this thread to Rest.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Remember when Chris Kunitz was claimed off the Mighty Ducks waivers by the Winnipeg Jets Atlanta Thrashers and then two weeks later the Mighty Ducks reclaimed him off the Thrashers waivers? That was awesome.

This is nothing like that at all. But c'mon, that's TWICE!!!! Screw the Thrashers/Jets.... :angry:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

sorry - i was incorrect.  waiving a player doesn't reduce his salary, it just removes his cap hit from the NHL team (for the pro-rated duration he's down in the AHL).

Luca didn't have an active contract with anyone, the $1.5M was what he was paid for a 1 year deal by the Isles, for last season, so he was a free agent and he inked a fresh new contract with the Ducks for $750k.

The Ducks will get a transfer fee from the Jets, but the Jetts also pick up the remainder of Luca's contract.  We'd only be out of pocket if the transfer fee is less than anything we obligated ourselves to pay him as part of a signing bonus, for example, OR the prorated portion for 1 day (or perhaps less) on his new player contract.

This doesn't sound like something that was planned - I can't think of a reason how that could possibly be true - so Luca was probably blindsided along with the Ducks.  

Such is the life of the professional hockey player, but I bet the Ducks aren't happy.  Luca might be feeling a little whipsawed between SoCal weather and (friking) Minnesota.  Sheesh.

uh, i meant Winnipeg.  totally.

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

I read that he had to pass through waivers. Ducks had no choice.

39 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

I read that he had to pass through waivers. Ducks had no choice.

link?  the only thing i can think of is that we had too many players on roster (we have 23 right now, the max) when we tried to grab him, and i guess we didn't have time to move Larsson or Guhle down?

seems like a fubar.  i can't imagine we grabbed him solely for the Gulls.  

Wow, this Jets\Thrashers franchise is really bad with us Ducks. Here's hoping to Sbisa needs to be sent down for them as well and we nab him back. Or is it not possible?

35 minutes ago, Aksun said:

Wow, this Jets\Thrashers franchise is really bad with us Ducks. Here's hoping to Sbisa needs to be sent down for them as well and we nab him back. Or is it not possible?

It is possible, but why do we want him?  He'd be going to San Diego, hopefully never to don an Anaheim sweater.  He's not good.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

It is possible, but why do we want him?  He'd be going to San Diego, hopefully never to don an Anaheim sweater.  He's not good.

True, we got lucky here in terms of avoiding a Bargain Bob deal, but as mentioned above by several people - we signed him and he agreed and now he may be unhappy because he's not going to Cali but rather the Frozen North. Sure, it all falls under the rules of business in the NHL - and we shouldn't care for how the player feels, but is isn't it nice to be nice? I mean we had an intention to sign him and have him play somewhere here, and now he's rejected that opportunity - not our fault - but wouldn't it be nice-r if we got him back as originally intended? Or do we just save him the trouble and prevent from going back and forth on waivers?

7 hours ago, Aksun said:

True, we got lucky here in terms of avoiding a Bargain Bob deal, but as mentioned above by several people - we signed him and he agreed and now he may be unhappy because he's not going to Cali but rather the Frozen North. Sure, it all falls under the rules of business in the NHL - and we shouldn't care for how the player feels, but is isn't it nice to be nice? I mean we had an intention to sign him and have him play somewhere here, and now he's rejected that opportunity - not our fault - but wouldn't it be nice-r if we got him back as originally intended? Or do we just save him the trouble and prevent from going back and forth on waivers?

well, he didn't reject it - he had no choice (except to retire) after they claimed him.  it's at least partially our fault for immediately sending him down (we could have timed it better, sent one of our waiver=exempt players down instead).

if they waive him, we'd only grab him if we weren't going to send him down OR we had an agreement in place with the Jets that they wouldn't grab him back immediately.