Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Luca Sbisa Returning

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Fisix said:

well, he didn't reject it - he had no choice (except to retire) after they claimed him.  it's at least partially our fault for immediately sending him down (we could have timed it better, sent one of our waiver=exempt players down instead).

if they waive him, we'd only grab him if we weren't going to send him down OR we had an agreement in place with the Jets that they wouldn't grab him back immediately.

I mean the Jets rejected him the opportunity to play in SoCal be it for the Ducks or Gulls closer to his property. With regard to waivers I wouldn't expect Bob to have an agreement with any team to not grab any one of our guys, it's a preventive tool that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Fisix said:

well, he didn't reject it - he had no choice (except to retire) after they claimed him.  it's at least partially our fault for immediately sending him down (we could have timed it better, sent one of our waiver=exempt players down instead).

if they waive him, we'd only grab him if we weren't going to send him down OR we had an agreement in place with the Jets that they wouldn't grab him back immediately.

I'm pretty sure if they waive him we have first dibs. And he doesn't have to pass through waivers and can be sent straight down. If anything the jets can only use him on their team and can't send him down so that means he has a chance to stay on an nhl team which I don't think he's too unhappy about. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

I'm pretty sure if they waive him we have first dibs. And he doesn't have to pass through waivers and can be sent straight down. If anything the jets can only use him on their team and can't send him down so that means he has a chance to stay on an nhl team which I don't think he's too unhappy about. 

That's right! I remember vaguely that we already discussed this on the boards here - so after Sbisa got claimed once from us, when he is next on waivers, Ducks need to respond Yes or No to pick him up ahead of all other teams, only then Sbisa is free for all again. I can't find the rule here, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aksun said:

That's right! I remember vaguely that we already discussed this on the boards here - so after Sbisa got claimed once from us, when he is next on waivers, Ducks need to respond Yes or No to pick him up ahead of all other teams, only then Sbisa is free for all again. I can't find the rule here, though.

It's a bit more complicated, but that's the basic gist of it. 

CBA Article 13.22

Quote

When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 5:39 PM, Fisix said:

link?  the only thing i can think of is that we had too many players on roster (we have 23 right now, the max) when we tried to grab him, and i guess we didn't have time to move Larsson or Guhle down?

seems like a fubar.  i can't imagine we grabbed him solely for the Gulls.  

don't remember the link, but for the Ducks to send him down, they had to put him on waivers first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

don't remember the link, but for the Ducks to send him down, they had to put him on waivers first.

yes of course... i think we're shooting past each other and essentially agreeing.  

i was surprised they tried to immediately send him down, and not one of the waiver exempt players, so that they could time it better.  maybe they tried to sneak him down right away and got caught.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why the jets didn't offer him a spot in the first place. The sure he would have signed even for league minimum to play in the nhl again. It's not like he was playing somewhere else anyway. The guy didn't even have a job. Kind of a low move by the jets, they knew we wanted to sign him for the farm team and took him away. Now BM obviously wanted another defenseman so he's probably looking for someone else? I mean it's not like BM was looking to sign somebody for the sake of signing them (at least I hope not!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MYNHLTR, as always, has some interesting bits here:

Quote

Winnipeg Jets PR: The Winnipeg Jets have claimed defenseman Luca Sbisa off waivers from the Anaheim Ducks.

  • Darren Dreger: The Jets and Sbisa’s camp have been talking for awhile.
  • Jason Gregor: (Replying to Dreger) “so did his agent want to sign with another team, so Jets could claim him on waivers? Smart, if that was the strategy.”
  • Cap Friendly: The Ducks signed Sbisa on Tuesday to a one-year deal at $750,000. He’ll count for $665,323 for the Jets if he’s with the team for the rest of the season.
  • Mike McIntyre: The Sbisa waiver claim is interesting … “Doesn’t seem like a move you’d make if Ville Heinola is sticking around and/or Dustin Byfuglien is returning soon. Especially with Nathan Beaulieu getting closer to a return and Tucker Poolman’s presumably minor injury.”

Talking for a while? We signed and spend $90k just for 'Peg to pick him up?! What the Duck!

I am seriously bepuzzled by all of this sillywhack going on with Sbisa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aksun said:

MYNHLTR, as always, has some interesting bits here:

Talking for a while? We signed and spend $90k just for 'Peg to pick him up?! What the Duck!

I am seriously bepuzzled by all of this sillywhack going on with Sbisa.

Just makes me wonder why Ducks sign him in the first place if Luca and Jets 2.0 were talking for awhile....Bob drop the ball again.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aksun said:

MYNHLTR, as always, has some interesting bits here:

Talking for a while? We signed and spend $90k just for 'Peg to pick him up?! What the Duck!

I am seriously bepuzzled by all of this sillywhack going on with Sbisa.

i think they had to pay us a transfer fee... so i don't think we are out of pocket, cash wise, on the deal.  waste of time, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fisix said:

i think they had to pay us a transfer fee... so i don't think we are out of pocket, cash wise, on the deal.  waste of time, though.

The waiver-claiming team pays something for doing it? In addition to paying the pro-rated remaining part of the existing deal the player has? The CBA is a wondrous piece of text to behold and explore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Aksun said:

The waiver-claiming team pays something for doing it? In addition to paying the pro-rated remaining part of the existing deal the player has? The CBA is a wondrous piece of text to behold and explore.

that's what i read (the claimer pays a transfer fee).  i DO wonder if the way the contracts are written, we have to pay him some minimum amount for the few hours we had him on K and waived him.  i would argue that if he never even had time to get on a plane, we wouldn't be obligated to pay the K.

oh, and the difference between $750k and the $665k is the pay for a full year, vs. the prorated for the remainder of the season (that's their calculation) - our actual cost of LS could have been prorated as well (so, also the $665k or really close to that).

you know what?  i'd really, really like to know how that accounting went.  if the Jets were chinchy enough to drop $90k on us rather than sign him directly?... and the transfer fee was small enough that the Ducks were left holding a $50k bag or whatever?  i would want to know that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Fisix said:

that's what i read (the claimer pays a transfer fee).  i DO wonder if the way the contracts are written, we have to pay him some minimum amount for the few hours we had him on K and waived him.  i would argue that if he never even had time to get on a plane, we wouldn't be obligated to pay the K.

oh, and the difference between $750k and the $665k is the pay for a full year, vs. the prorated for the remainder of the season (that's their calculation) - our actual cost of LS could have been prorated as well (so, also the $665k or really close to that).

you know what?  i'd really, really like to know how that accounting went.  if the Jets were chinchy enough to drop $90k on us rather than sign him directly?... and the transfer fee was small enough that the Ducks were left holding a $50k bag or whatever?  i would want to know that.

Oh the bolded makes sense thanks to your explanation - we would've been on the hook for the same since Sbisa really missed 25 days in October, it's roughly that 90k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Fisix said:

that's what i read (the claimer pays a transfer fee).  i DO wonder if the way the contracts are written, we have to pay him some minimum amount for the few hours we had him on K and waived him.  i would argue that if he never even had time to get on a plane, we wouldn't be obligated to pay the K.

oh, and the difference between $750k and the $665k is the pay for a full year, vs. the prorated for the remainder of the season (that's their calculation) - our actual cost of LS could have been prorated as well (so, also the $665k or really close to that).

you know what?  i'd really, really like to know how that accounting went.  if the Jets were chinchy enough to drop $90k on us rather than sign him directly?... and the transfer fee was small enough that the Ducks were left holding a $50k bag or whatever?  i would want to know that.

I don't believe it cost us anything. We just lose the player and the time it took to negotiate the deal obviously. Who knows, maybe Sbisa was looking for any deal, was talking with the Jets and then Anaheim stepped in and he decided he would rather be in California than Manitoba (I mean, who wouldn't) and the Jets said 'nah man, that ain't happening'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Sbisa was not happy being picked up by the Jets. He skated into Patrick Laine during practice Monday. Laine left the practice after that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

Looks like Sbisa was not happy being picked up by the Jets. He skated into Patrick Laine during practice Monday. Laine left the practice after that.

Interesting! Where'd you spot that? On a Twitter? Unlikely there is video because no one shoots practices, but it's news if Sbisa is disgruntled by the move, especially if he was considered 'in talks with Winnipeg' before signing with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aksun said:

Interesting! Where'd you spot that? On a Twitter? Unlikely there is video because no one shoots practices, but it's news if Sbisa is disgruntled by the move, especially if he was considered 'in talks with Winnipeg' before signing with us.

the disgruntled part is speculative.  the Sbisa banging up Laine yesterday is on news sites and twitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fisix said:

the disgruntled part is speculative.  the Sbisa banging up Laine yesterday is on news sites and twitter.

In my original comment I was being a bit tongue and cheek. I thought it was karma for Edmonton once again pillaging from the Ducks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...