The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Fisix

trade for D

11 minutes ago, Fisix said:

whelp, here's our veteran D we've been asking for.  probably means a fracture for Manson, or worse.

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks-acquire-gudbranson-from-pittsburgh/c-310496126

Not really asking for, but definitely what I'd be willing to settle for while Manson is out. He's not great, but he's better than Holzer and Hakanpaa.

2 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Not really asking for, but definitely what I'd be willing to settle for while Manson is out. He's not great, but he's better than Holzer and Hakanpaa.

I like this move. Cost us pretty much nothing and helps Pittsburgh clear cap space.

neat! 3rd overall 9 years ago...seems cool....not performing at #3 levels but neither is another high pick... :P ....i feel we are so close to signing Yukapov!

but seriously...this sounds cool! welcome!

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I like this move. Cost us pretty much nothing and helps Pittsburgh clear cap space.

$8M over two years?  I'm not sure that qualifies as pretty much nothing.  not sure why we care pitt is clearing cap space?

Gudbranson is awful.  Really, really awful.  Honestly, it's pretty close between him and Holzer.

Our offense had better figure out where the back of the net is, because our defense just got much, much worse.  

30 minutes ago, Fisix said:

$8M over two years?  I'm not sure that qualifies as pretty much nothing.  not sure why we care pitt is clearing cap space?

I meant it in that the deal works for both teams, and more importantly for the Ducks, it signals that Murray isn’t looking moving anything of value this season. The Ducks aren’t making a run no matter what they do and taking on Gudbranson’s salary doesn’t impact them this year. Plus, they don’t have any costly RFA signings next summer. Murray can also try to trade EG again in the offseason when he has only year left on his contract. This is not a good situation by any means but given the circumstances, I’m not upset with. I wonder if Murray kicked the tires on Honka.

If EG is awful as his reputation, then it should help improve our draft slot which I’m fine with. 

30 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Gudbranson is awful.  Really, really awful.  Honestly, it's pretty close between him and Holzer.

Our offense had better figure out where the back of the net is, because our defense just got much, much worse.  

I think they’ll improve over the season and if not, well then, hello, lottery pick!

4 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

neat! 3rd overall 9 years ago...seems cool....not performing at #3 levels but neither is another high pick... :P ....i feel we are so close to signing Yukapov!

but seriously...this sounds cool! welcome!

That 2010 draft only yielded 3 decent defensemen, and Anaheim now has 2 of the 3 (and almost had Justin Faulk)

4 hours ago, ZTHER said:

That 2010 draft only yielded 3 decent defensemen, and Anaheim now has 2 of the 3 (and almost had Justin Faulk)

I think your math is off. I count Fowler, Faulk and Klingberg. That's one Duck. Did I miss something?

Edited by poum

Here is some quotes from Pittsburgh media:

"He performed pretty well on the third pair, but lacked a lot of skating mobility or puck skills, two very important traits in the modern day NHL game."

"In the end, the Penguins at least clean up some salary and a mistake by getting out of the Gudbranson cap hit entirely. But the mistake was a wholly self-inflicted one in the first place. Gudbranson was never truly a necessary piece to acquire or anything more than a short-sighted fix to a temporary problem of injuries on the defensive depth chart. He was a bad player on an even worse contract, and dealing with that was bound to be an issue"

"So that they would be looking for a defender would be a natural, even though it’s difficult to see what Gudbranson can actually contribute for them. Alas, that’s now their issue."

18 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I am just curious to see how well he does under Dallas Eakins.....he was touted as the best yet he did not pan well in 3 teams...Let's hope he can improve. Curious what number he will wear for tonite considering MDZ has No44.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

11 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Here is some quotes from Pittsburgh media:

"He performed pretty well on the third pair, but lacked a lot of skating mobility or puck skills, two very important traits in the modern day NHL game."

"In the end, the Penguins at least clean up some salary and a mistake by getting out of the Gudbranson cap hit entirely. But the mistake was a wholly self-inflicted one in the first place. Gudbranson was never truly a necessary piece to acquire or anything more than a short-sighted fix to a temporary problem of injuries on the defensive depth chart. He was a bad player on an even worse contract, and dealing with that was bound to be an issue"

"So that they would be looking for a defender would be a natural, even though it’s difficult to see what Gudbranson can actually contribute for them. Alas, that’s now their issue."

Bad takes. Probably the same Pens fan who complained that Sullivan never gave Sprong a fair chance and that it was a horrible mistake to trade him for Marcus Pettersson.

From Pensburgh.com:

What is fascinating is that the next-best pairing after Letang-Dumoulin that saw a reasonable amount of ice time was the Pettersson-Gudbranson pairing. They were good. Really good. They were not exactly sheltered, either, with only 42 percent of their shifts starting in the offensive zone and the majority of their minutes coming WITHOUT one of Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin on the ice with them.

Screen_Shot_2019_08_30_at_1.22.29_PM.png

They were the anti-Schultz/Johnson pairing in every possible way, from deployment to performance. It did not matter who they played with at forward, it did not matter where they started their shifts on the ice, it did not matter who they played against. They were simply good. Look at that performance without Crosby or Malkin. Heavy on the defensive zone, and still moving the puck north and dominating the shot attempt and scoring chance shares and, yes, the goals.

https://www.pensburgh.com/2019/8/30/20840866/can-the-penguins-piece-together-three-useful-defense-pairings-with-the-players-they-have

Gudbranson was bad in Vancouver (while playing on a bad team with a bunch of young forwards who didn't back check), but he was good with Pittsburgh for the final 20+ games last season. He just got squeezed out this season because Sullivan wanted to play Jultz and Pettersson together on the 2nd pair, which left Gudbranson stuck with Jack Johnson (who is now legitimately terrible) and some other borderline NHLers on the 3rd pairing. His contract also makes him a whipping boy for fans who correlate $$ to points and +/-. But it's simply wrong to day he's terrible. A terrible D-man doesn't post those fancy stats in that situation. He'll be fine here. In fact, I think our team will actually play to his strengths and he'll be a solid, serviceable depth defender who is an OBVIOUS upgrade over Holzer and Hakanpaa. 

• Like 2

Ducks need to make another trade for a lower pairing d man. Someone who is on a one year contract (expires after this year). There has to be someone that would be better then Holzer or Del Zotto. Grab someone like Bogosian or even Vatanen for the year or even Pysyk or DeMelo. Be nicr not to have to watch Holzer and Del Zotto. They are terrible. Could have d pairings when healthy of

Lindholm - Manson

Fowler - Guhle/DeMelo/Vatanen/Bogosian 

Guhle - Gudbranson 

Looks alot nicer then anything with Holzer and Del Zotto.

5 hours ago, saskduckfan said:

Ducks need to make another trade for a lower pairing d man. Someone who is on a one year contract (expires after this year). There has to be someone that would be better then Holzer or Del Zotto. Grab someone like Bogosian or even Vatanen for the year or even Pysyk or DeMelo. Be nicr not to have to watch Holzer and Del Zotto. They are terrible. Could have d pairings when healthy of

Lindholm - Manson

Fowler - Guhle/DeMelo/Vatanen/Bogosian 

Guhle - Gudbranson 

Looks alot nicer then anything with Holzer and Del Zotto.

I was an advocate for getting someone like Gudbranson and he was exactly what we've got. But if Manson's injury is not serious - when he's back, I think the team is content with rolling one of MDZ or HLZ all the way, however bad it may be. The team's motives are unclear yet, but most fans agree they are going for a 'rookie grow-up year' where making the playoffs is a secondary objective, but they would allow this for 1 year max - Samueli's general plan is to hit the PO's each and every year.

If they want it this year - we definitely need more trades to improve the D. Scoring is expected to come from the existing group of players.