The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DUCKSDOC

INJURIES

42 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Friend of mine said maybe he was held out since St. Louis plays a more heavy game.  Sounded reasonable.

So out against St Louis, but back in tonight against Tom Wilson and Radko Gudas?  I fear for Kase's noggin tonight way more than I would have against St Louis.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

If true, that's a weird message considering his possession numbers relative to the rest of the team and the fact that he is out-scoring all other RWs not named Jakob Silfverberg.

well, and RR (14 points), and he's only one point above Rowney (Kase has 3 fewer goals).

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

If true, that's a weird message considering his possession numbers relative to the rest of the team and the fact that he is out-scoring all other RWs not named Jakob Silfverberg.

Kase has 1 goal. He's being relied on to score goals and he's not scoring. I have no problem with healthy scratching him.

50 minutes ago, Fisix said:

well, and RR (14 points), and he's only one point above Rowney (Kase has 3 fewer goals).

IIRC, the Blues game was the first time all season RR has played RW instead of LW, and HCDE even admitted moving him over to RW was initially plan B in that game. That game started with 49-15-37, 67-14-33 before HCDE quickly switched it up a few shifts into the game when he didn't like the looks of that Getzlaf line. https://www.ocregister.com/2019/11/17/captain-ryan-getzlaf-reminds-ducks-to-get-pucks-deep-and-they-respond/

With Rowney, he's also played 6 more games than Kase and his fancy stats are atrocious compared to Kase's. I get that Kase is in there to score, but the fact that his shots aren't going in isn't a reason to scratch him by itself. He's still driving possession like a boss and he's 3rd on the team in shots/game. Unless he's dinged, you gotta keep him in there shooting as much as possible until he can get the ketchup flowing. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, nieder said:

Kase has 1 goal. He's being relied on to score goals and he's not scoring. I have no problem with healthy scratching him.

Got no argument from me here...anything to light a Fire under him is needed.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

15 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

With Rowney, he's also played 6 more games than Kase and his fancy stats are atrocious compared to Kase's. I get that Kase is in there to score, but the fact that his shots aren't going in isn't a reason to scratch him by itself. He's still driving possession like a boss and he's 3rd on the team in shots/game. Unless he's dinged, you gotta keep him in there shooting as much as possible until he can get the ketchup flowing. 

Quick question as I'm still learning about fancy stats. Do they take situational ice time into account? Rowney plays a lot of time on the PK so I would expect that the guys getting a lot of PK minutes wouldn't have great possession numbers. The 4th line also tends to do more dumping and chasing I suspect, which would also affect possession numbers, right? So it's tough to compare that with someone that doesn't play on the PK and plays on a line expected to score and hang onto the puck more.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, nieder said:

Quick question as I'm still learning about fancy stats. Do they take situational ice time into account? Rowney plays a lot of time on the PK so I would expect that the guys getting a lot of PK minutes wouldn't have great possession numbers. The 4th line also tends to do more dumping and chasing I suspect, which would also affect possession numbers, right? So it's tough to compare that with someone that doesn't play on the PK and plays on a line expected to score and hang onto the puck more.

i was perusing hockey reference today, and they seem to split out some of the fancystats by 5v5, PP. PK.

see the bottom table on this page:
https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/ANA/2020.html

it's still a bear trying to compare teammates to each other in a semi-reliable or intuitive way, based on their different roles, but at least it's all in one table, and you can sort of pick out their roles based on their average TOIs for each segment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

IIRC, the Blues game was the first time all season RR has played RW instead of LW, and HCDE even admitted moving him over to RW was initially plan B in that game. That game started with 49-15-37, 67-14-33 before HCDE quickly switched it up a few shifts into the game when he didn't like the looks of that Getzlaf line. https://www.ocregister.com/2019/11/17/captain-ryan-getzlaf-reminds-ducks-to-get-pucks-deep-and-they-respond/

And if you're scratching Kase for not scoring, you'd better be scratching Steel (who's put up HALF as many shots as Kase in two more games) for not scoring.  Benching Kase for not finishing makes no sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nieder said:

What Fisix said. Most basic fancy stats focus on 5v5 for comparison among various players. Kase has been getting a higher percentage of offensive zone starts lately, which may impact his numbers a little, but he's been consistently good at driving possession for the last 2+ seasons. It's why fans of every other team want to trade for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

And if you're scratching Kase for not scoring, you'd better be scratching Steel (who's put up HALF as many shots as Kase in two more games) for not scoring.  Benching Kase for not finishing makes no sense.

I think they have higher expectations for Kase than Steel.  they're going to baby the youngers a bit, and that's probably fine.  

17 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

What Fisix said. Most basic fancy stats focus on 5v5 for comparison among various players. Kase has been getting a higher percentage of offensive zone starts lately, which may impact his numbers a little, but he's been consistently good at driving possession for the last 2+ seasons. It's why fans of every other team want to trade for him.

OK I kinda figured they would split it into 5v5 and then PP and PK. I haven't looked at any of the actual numbers in a while because they were confusing!  I need to go back and read up on this. I need a 'Fancy Stats for Dummies' book or something.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Which makes him our Ducks best Trade Bait.....I am just wondering what it will take to get our Ducks to Trade Kase for BPA.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Do we have a timetable on Lindholm? Blowing 2-0 leads is one thing. Blowing a 4-0 lead is pretty embarrassing. I miss our top 2 D men.

45 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Do we have a timetable on Lindholm? Blowing 2-0 leads is one thing. Blowing a 4-0 lead is pretty embarrassing. I miss our top 2 D men.

As far as I know - no, they've been very quiet on Lindholm other than it's an LBI. Manson was given a timeframe almost right away and we expect him early January, but Lindholm has a nagging one and is more of a mystery.

4 hours ago, Aksun said:

As far as I know - no, they've been very quiet on Lindholm other than it's an LBI. Manson was given a timeframe almost right away and we expect him early January, but Lindholm has a nagging one and is more of a mystery.

Last night they said he's likely in for the next game.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aksun said:

Participated in practice today and stayed for skating afterwards. Looks like he may give it a go tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

Eakins didn't have an official update on Nick Ritchie but said "it does not look very good" with regard to the winger's lower-body injury. Knee was mentioned a couple times with regard to Gudas hit.

48 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Eakins didn't have an official update on Nick Ritchie but said "it does not look very good" with regard to the winger's lower-body injury. Knee was mentioned a couple times with regard to Gudas hit.

If ever the "player safety" committee should get involved it's now.  But I'm sure they won't.  That was a late hit.  It's how players get hurt.  I have long thought that players that injure other players, especially the ones who do it a lot should not be allowed to play until the injured player is back playing.  Seems right.

• Confused 1

Due to Ritchie's Injury it's been report Ducks have recalled Sam Carrick from SD and Assign Stolarz to the Gulls.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:
Per GMBM, #NHLDucks left wing Nick Ritchie has a sprained left MCL and will be out six to 10 weeks. It's a similar injury to the one Josh Manson suffered. Manson won't play today vs. WPG, but might be fit Tuesday at MIN.

Can we have a season without a revolving door of injuries? Better yet, have a full season without Gudas, Giordano or the entire Nashville Predators.

On 12/8/2019 at 5:21 PM, Aksun said:

Can we have a season without a revolving door of injuries? Better yet, have a full season without Gudas, Giordano or the entire Nashville Predators.

i'm fairly unhappy that Gudas didn't get some supplemental on that hit.  

that said... what the frick was Ritchie doing that with his leg in that area of the ice?  brain fart on his part, i think.