The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
RobD360

Gudbranson

Figured a new Duck signing needed their own full fledged thread.

My thoughts:: BM gave up nothing from our end for a player who is big and isn’t afraid to use his body and clear the net. We need that since we already have d players who can score enough already but lack in the other depts. Decent move but we gained is his cap hit of 4mill is very high. Hoping what every other team Before us who has traded for him which is that he actually performs up to or close to what he was initially drafted at (3rd overall).... let’s see if Eakins has a connection with him to turn him around 

what are your thoughts? Good trade or what? 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

My thoughts:: BM gave up nothing from our end for a player who is big and isn’t afraid to use his body and clear the net. We need that since we already have d players who can score enough already but lack in the other depts. Decent move but we gained is his cap hit of 4mill is very high. Hoping what every other team Before us who has traded for him which is that he actually performs up to or close to what he was initially drafted at (3rd overall).... let’s see if Eakins has a connection with him to turn him around 

Imho I believe it was good Trade...a Pickup for our team to add some Grit and size for the Ducks due in part of 1.Ducks Defence Corps is two Left handed and Ducks need to Balance Blueline out with RHD. 2. Injury to Josh Manson.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

I liked the physical play and the grit he brings. He is someone that will make it hard for skaters to make it to the front of our net. We have been missing that for the last few years.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

It would be a good trade if Penguins retain at least 30% of his salary cap hit. Reading their media seems like they are very happy to get rid of him. Being traded 3 times within 2 years also raise some question mark.

On our side, we all know our GM love for a first round busts (hello, Kyle Chipchura!).

15 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

It would be a good trade if Penguins retain at least 30% of his salary cap hit. Reading their media seems like they are very happy to get rid of him. Being traded 3 times within 2 years also raise some question mark.

On our side, we all know our GM love for a first round busts (hello, Kyle Chipchura!).

Yeah I see what you’re saying but BM didn’t give an asset back worth much. If he did then I too would be asking to have Pens retain salary but in this case I could let it slide especially since BM needed this trade more than the Pens.

Moving around so much doesn’t give much confidence but hopefully Eakins can slot him in and use him more effectively. In fact I think DLaw was showing some stats on another thread on how he was actually pretty good when paired with a certain Pen player. Maybe he can repost here to for discussion 

and yes we can’t go into any a year without BM having his little reclamation project either 

Edited by RobD360

2 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Did I miss a trade somewhere? May 2016 he was traded to Vancouver. February 2019 he was traded to Pittsburgh. October 2019 he was traded to Anaheim.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Did I miss a trade somewhere? May 2016 he was traded to Vancouver. February 2019 he was traded to Pittsburgh. October 2019 he was traded to Anaheim.

YOU just listed the three trades.

Oh, I see. It's not 2 years, but three.  Fair point.

Edited by dukitup

9 minutes ago, dukitup said:

YOU just listed the three trades.

Oh, I see. It's not 2 years, but three.  Fair point.

Yes, it’s the two years thing. It makes him sound worse to have that false metric. 

And I could just as easily say he’s been traded three times in nine years, which would be factually true but wouldn’t really be a fair representation either.

Let’s just give the guy a chance to show what he can do for a team other than the gawd-awful Panthers and Canucks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pazonator said:

I liked the physical play and the grit he brings. He is someone that will make it hard for skaters to make it to the front of our net. We have been missing that for the last few years.  

Let's Glad Gudbranson is a Duck. He is Big and Ducks need some size add to the Speed and Skill.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

He's a slightly better version of Holzer IMO. Not much more than that. $4M is a lot to pay for this guy but we don't have cap issues at the moment.

2 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

Del Zotto needs a ticket to sit and watch.  He is horrible

Nearly everyone had an off night against Vegas, but yeah MDZ was particularly awful. That third goal against... WTF was that?!?

• Like 1

I like the skating ability on the guy, obviously his size and willingness to use it (Fowler soooooft), and his talking to the teammates/being vocal on the ice. And of course, anything is better than MDZ or HLZ, they shouldn't be anywhere near the top-4, and even if Gudbranson shouldn't be there too, he gives the D roster more balance beyond Manson, and when the latter is out, he's just critical to have because we have no one else on the right side.

An obvious cap dump for Pitt, but we can afford it this year easily. Next year with the Perry bo it will be difficult but this year with a swath of rookies not so much.

10 hours ago, Aksun said:

I like the skating ability on the guy, obviously his size and willingness to use it (Fowler soooooft), and his talking to the teammates/being vocal on the ice. And of course, anything is better than MDZ or HLZ, they shouldn't be anywhere near the top-4, and even if Gudbranson shouldn't be there too, he gives the D roster more balance beyond Manson, and when the latter is out, he's just critical to have because we have no one else on the right side.

An obvious cap dump for Pitt, but we can afford it this year easily. Next year with the Perry bo it will be difficult but this year with a swath of rookies not so much.

He's got a long stride and doesn't change directions very quickly, which will probably lead to him being undressed a few times by quicker skilled forwards like the Kanes, McDavids and MacKinnons of the league (but heck, even our all-world skating D-man gets undressed from time to time). EG does have some end-to-end speed though. I liked his recovery on the Nick Roy goal last night. He was caught pinching down at the face-off dot and still managed to get all the way back for a perfect poke check to break up a scoring opportunity. With Roy being a right-shot and EG skating up on his left side, it would have been easy to take a penalty there (maybe even a penalty shot), but EG was able to perfectly time his poke check. That was a great defensive play, and its just too bad MDZ kicked the puck right back onto Roy's stick blade and then totally failed to make any kind of a play on Roy's stick to prevent Roy from getting a shot away. MDZ totally screwed his partner there.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Aksun said:

I am willing to wait till midway point of the season to see how well he does for our Ducks...Who is with me to wait till we judge Gudbranson.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

I am willing to wait till midway point of the season to see how well he does for our Ducks...Who is with me to wait till we judge Gudbranson.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

as long as he doesn't get demotivated by the rest of the team, he's fine so far in my book.  to date, he doesn't seem like a pylon, and he seems to have tendencies in the right directions (for defensive strategy), whereas the rooks and even some of the other vets seem to be 50-50.

He’s physical, something this team can use.  I think it’s a good addition for a 7th round draft pick and older prospect.  Good trade.

8 minutes ago, Fowl said:

He’s physical, something this team can use.  I think it’s a good addition for a 7th round draft pick and older prospect.  Good trade.

I think that the Ducks had a good amount of physicality throughout their lineup prior to getting Gudbranson though. If he gets exposed by faster quicker players too often, then his physicality won't be much of a factor. It's a good trade in that Murray gave up nothing to get him but I don't see it changing the trajectory of their season. I hope that it means Murray will just stand pat. Having a guy with a $4 mil AAV who should be on a 3rd pairing isn't good and Murray will have some work to do next summer. 

I'd much rather make this trade than Kase for Faulk with an extension.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

The Gudbranson-MDZ pairing was the stuff nightmares are made of.  Please hurry back, Hampus.

Hopefully he is ready for tonite's game and this week.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

11 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that the Ducks had a good amount of physicality throughout their lineup prior to getting Gudbranson though. If he gets exposed by faster quicker players too often, then his physicality won't be much of a factor. It's a good trade in that Murray gave up nothing to get him but I don't see it changing the trajectory of their season. I hope that it means Murray will just stand pat. Having a guy with a $4 mil AAV who should be on a 3rd pairing isn't good and Murray will have some work to do next summer. 

I'd much rather make this trade than Kase for Faulk with an extension.

Certainly not the upward trajectory, but it may have stunted a rapid downward trajectory after the Manson injury. 47-46 was pretty darn good against MacKinnon on Saturday. That pair didn’t miss a beat with EG stepping in for Manson. And as bad as Holzer, Larsson and MDZ have been lately, the defense may have crumbled if DE had to plug one of those guys into Manson’s spot long-term.

As far as the upward trajectory goes, that changes only if the kids start figuring out how to score. I’m surprised and disappointed with how little they have contributed to the scoresheet thus far considering how good they looked at the end of last season. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Certainly not the upward trajectory, but it may have stunted a rapid downward trajectory after the Manson injury. 47-46 was pretty darn good against MacKinnon on Saturday. That pair didn’t miss a beat with EG stepping in for Manson. And as bad as Holzer, Larsson and MDZ have been lately, the defense may have crumbled if DE had to plug one of those guys into Manson’s spot long-term.

As far as the upward trajectory goes, that changes only if the kids start figuring out how to score. I’m surprised and disappointed with how little they have contributed to the scoresheet thus far considering how good they looked at the end of last season. 

They are kids, we can be disappointed if they haven’t figured it out by the end of next season lol.

It’s only getting worse as Guhle has gotten his weekly injury and is out tonight. God speed, Gudbranson.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

and, in a way, even Cam...

• Like 1

Well Tonite Gudbranson makes his Home debut....Curious to see what he can do for the Ducks at Ponda.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

They are kids, we can be disappointed if they haven’t figured it out by the end of next season lol.

It’s only getting worse as Guhle has gotten his weekly injury and is out tonight. God speed, Gudbranson.

Sweet Jesus. Lindholm, Manson, Guhle all out tonight. So we are looking at something like:

Fowler-Del Zotto

Mahura-Gudrandson

Larsson-Holzer

Holy crap.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Can we put BOTH goalkeepers in at the same time?  Ha Ha

Already Done...*Thanos Snap*...j/k...Anyways I though Gudbranson did alright in his first game at Ponda.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 2