The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

It’s hard to tell sometimes. Games like last night where our pace is white hot and passing looks like we’re putting on a clinic... and then we lose. 

What are we missing? An elite scorer or three? A legit shutdown defenseman? Sometimes this team looks solid... then we give up 4 unanswered.

I just don’t know, man. I just don’t know.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, turnonthejets87 said:

It’s hard to tell sometimes. Games like last night where our pace is white hot and passing looks like we’re putting on a clinic... and then we lose. 

What are we missing? An elite scorer or three? A legit shutdown defenseman? Sometimes this team looks solid... then we give up 4 unanswered.

Not really.

The flashes of speed and extended offensive zone shifts are nice and give some hope for the direction this team is headed. But even on those extended attacking shifts we had last night there was just no penetration on the center of the ice. Everything is on the perimeter. Teams aren't going to mind defending Anaheim for long stretches in their own zone if all the Ducks do is pass around the outside and take long shots with no traffic. We need guys willing to bring the puck into the middle of the ice and score from dirty areas in front of the net. We really need someone like Perry circa 2011.

The defense is probably as good as we can expect it to be considering we are playing Holzer, Del Zotto, Gudbranson and Larsson so much every night. They are all average NHL players at best, though Gudbranson has been surprisingly serviceable considering he is playing way more minutes than he really should be. Lindholm also isn't fully practicing so he's still playing hurt.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, nieder said:

Not really.

The flashes of speed and extended offensive zone shifts are nice and give some hope for the direction this team is headed. But even on those extended attacking shifts we had last night there was just no penetration on the center of the ice. Everything is on the perimeter. Teams aren't going to mind defending Anaheim for long stretches in their own zone if all the Ducks do is pass around the outside and take long shots with no traffic. We need guys willing to bring the puck into the middle of the ice and score from dirty areas in front of the net. We really need someone like Perry circa 2011.

The defense is probably as good as we can expect it to be considering we are playing Holzer, Del Zotto, Gudbranson and Larsson so much every night. They are all average NHL players at best, though Gudbranson has been surprisingly serviceable considering he is playing way more minutes than he really should be. Lindholm also isn't fully practicing so he's still playing hurt.

Great post. 

We need at least one or 2 elite goal scorers, and I just don’t see anyone on the roster or in the system who is going to fit that bill.  Maybe I lack patience, but I want to see at least one of the rookie forwards start to score on a regular basis, and Rakell to return to his 30+ goal pace of 2 and 3 years ago.  Rico and Getzy are scoring a lot so far, but I would be surprised if either of them scores 30+ goals.

Despite the great start, we are currently in the 8th playoff spot.  Nothing really has changed from the common assessment during the off season.  With a healthy Gibson, the Ducks are at best a bubble team, who have the potential of being in a position to make the playoffs, but most likely will finish somewhere between 8th & 12th in the Conference.

• Like 1

for the game last night - we had Kase back from injury (and looking good individually), but the lines were all revised and new, and Mahura was out.

one explanation - we're currently a fairly brittle team.  lots of new linemates, new system, new coaches... small impediments a more veteran team could take in stride will make us look clumsy, and we're exerting mental and physical effort just to pass the puck to linemates... the kind of effort that veteran teams don't have to think about.

so, i think we have skill, and it seems like our system has a lot of upside when it works, but currently we max out at about 80-90% what NHL teams can regularly bring to bear, and the best teams can scrounge up 105-110% efforts for brief periods now and then, and we don't have that capability right now.

we've won the games we've won by being fairly consistent period over period with that 80-90% effort, and the teams we've played have been having their own issues.  we've been sketchy the last few games because we aren't providing the 80-90% over three periods.  for the last three games - games 1-2 we didn't show up, really, until the last 5 minutes of the second period, onwards (and that was enough in game 1).  game 3 (last night), we showed up for period 1, mostly, but then downhill from there, with an abysmal ending in the 3rd.

are we good?  we were pretty good up to about a week ago, maybe two weeks ago.  since then, we've been middling to low.  last night we were working out some of those performance kinks, and the extra mental effort brought us down.  

i guess i'll just reiterate - we're relatively brittle.  we can be pretty good, even over significant stretches, but little issues render bring our performance disproportionately low, as compared to most of our competitors.  

This team has enough skill to finish somewhere in the 6-8 spot, but so far HCDE Eakins is coaching like he's aiming for a 9-12 finish. I keep saying it, but I just think its a bad move to water down the forward lines the way Eakins is. Getzlaf needs to play with wingers who will actually go hard to the net and finish (i.e. not just skate around the perimeter), and the kids need to play more sheltered minutes against lesser competition until they can prove they're ready for bigger minutes. If HCDE keeps this current strategy up all season long, pencil us for a 10th place finish. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, turnonthejets87 said:

To tell you the truth and to be honest with you.....YES we are Good...BUT DUCKS ARE NOT THAT GOOD.....They have potential to be Great.....Last night it showed 3 Pet Peeves we hate in a Ducks Loss.

1.Sitting on 2 Goal lead.

2.Relying too heavily on the goalie to bail you out.

3.Consistency.

YOU ask what we are missing our Ducks are missing Josh Manson and elite Scorer...Not 3 or 2 just 1.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 hours ago, turnonthejets87 said:

No, but we aren’t supposed to be, especially this season. The Ducks need elite scoring and and rebuild their defensive pipeline. When you include Zegras, I think we’ll have enough setup guys and playmakers going forward. We eventually need to pair them with guys who can finish. Maybe Sprong gets called up soon to see if he can help do that.

Goaltending still continues to be the thing that keeps the Ducks afloat. I still think that they are better than under Carlyle. There are flashes of really good hockey that they can’t sustain and then offset by being very bad. It’s just the learning curve that they hopefully improve upon and be more consistent as the season progresses. It’s still only 17 games in.

26 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

No, but we aren’t supposed to be, especially this season. The Ducks need elite scoring and and rebuild their defensive pipeline. When you include Zegras, I think we’ll have enough setup guys and playmakers going forward. We eventually need to pair them with guys who can finish. Maybe Sprong gets called up soon to see if he can help do that.

Goaltending still continues to be the thing that keeps the Ducks afloat. I still think that they are better than under Carlyle. There are flashes of really good hockey that they can’t sustain and then offset by being very bad. It’s just the learning curve that they hopefully improve upon and be more consistent as the season progresses. It’s still only 17 games in.

This is my concern. It's probable that some combination of our kids develop enough that we have a lot of young setup guys and middling goal scorers, but if this team is going to take a step forward in a few seasons we are going to need some true shooters. I have high hopes for Brayden Tracey though he's also not thought of primarily a goal scorer (I'm going to go and watch him play next month to get a good look at him). Sprong I would love to see just start demolishing the AHL but he's started slow (well, the entire Gulls team has to be fair). 

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

This team has enough skill to finish somewhere in the 6-8 spot, but so far HCDE Eakins is coaching like he's aiming for a 9-12 finish. I keep saying it, but I just think its a bad move to water down the forward lines the way Eakins is. Getzlaf needs to play with wingers who will actually go hard to the net and finish (i.e. not just skate around the perimeter), and the kids need to play more sheltered minutes against lesser competition until they can prove they're ready for bigger minutes. If HCDE keeps this current strategy up all season long, pencil us for a 10th place finish. 

Yes. It's pointless playing Getzlaf with guys like Terry who play so much perimeter hockey (and not to mention also seem completely snakebit). At least Comtois has started playing more physical I guess. Getz started the season looking like he might be ready to retire but he's looked great the last few weeks, yet he has no real scoring threats playing with him. It's a waste.

• Like 3

Need a bonafide elite shut down defenseman. A defenseman who can change the pace of the game and setup plays out of our zone and have the ability to drop bombs from the circles. We have nice mid tier to bottom high tier d players but we need a no-nonsense D man who can take control of a game. We have not had a D player like that since Scotty or Pronger. We have pretty decent offensive actually I think but we can’t manage to keep the other team from scoring has much and so there is too much pressure on the goalies to continue making incredible stops. The kids are fine and doing good and it will be normal to see their progress go up and down a bit as they learn the new system and playing in the big leagues. We have a great young team in the making. We won’t be able to keep them all so maybe we can make a big trade down the road. 

47 minutes ago, nieder said:

Yes. It's pointless playing Getzlaf with guys like Terry who play so much perimeter hockey (and not to mention also seem completely snakebit). At least Comtois has started playing more physical I guess. Getz started the season looking like he might be ready to retire but he's looked great the last few weeks, yet he has no real scoring threats playing with him. It's a waste.

100% agree. Getzlaf is still one of the best passers in the game, yet he has only 4 assists so far through 17 games. The goal scorers for those assists were Silfverberg (2), Rowney and Gudbranson. In other words, not a single one of his regular line mates. 

I don’t understand why this is so hard for HCDE to figure out. Put Getzlaf with 33 & 67. Otherwise we’re just wasting one of Getzy’s few remaining seasons where he’ll be able to play at a very high level.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

100% agree. Getzlaf is still one of the best passers in the game, yet he has only 4 assists so far through 17 games. The goal scorers for those assists were Silfverberg (2), Rowney and Gudbranson. In other words, not a single one of his regular line mates. 

I don’t understand why this is so hard for HCDE to figure out. Put Getzlaf with 33 & 67. Otherwise we’re just wasting one of Getzy’s few remaining seasons where he’ll be able to play at a very high level.

100% spot on

We are .500 team with 50% chance of making playoffs. No Kariya/Selanne on horizon and on defense we don't have anybody close to Niedermayer. Lack of high draft picks, meaningless juggle of 4th liners on trade dedlines and poor off-season acquisitions finally took a toll on our team.

• Sad 4

you guys are convincing me.

i think MaxC is trying, and making progress.  enough progress that i hesitate to move him away from Getz as he's coming on.  TT isn't the right fit... so who do we link up?

Silf - doesn't seem to be the receiver that Getz needs.  Silf makes his own plays.  I don't see him as a good fit.
RR - he and Max are interchangeable, just RR is a bit better currently.  Having both on the same line would be weird and probably not productive.
Kase - can snipe and scrap, but still doesn't seem like the missing chip.  Could be worth a try, and he can accept crazy Getzpasses (better than most).
Hank - hmm.  Maybe?  He's a little small, but his natural tendencies seem to aim him at the net?
which brings us to:
NR.  I hate to say it, but this is the guy we need with Getz and either MaxC or RR (or maybe Kase).  He can move around and through the crease at will and can accept passes, he's just inconsistent, sort of boneheaded, can't pass away as well as he should, and takes too many penalties.  If he could just be better, he'd be the missing partner, right?

anyway, the rest:
max jones - could be, but still a little young.  he's pretty smart, though, and seems pretty fast.  i expect him to be 5x the player NR is when he reaches the same tenure NR has now.
Rowney - can't accept Getzpasses reliably, nor hold on to the puck or keep his position with strength.  decent stand-in when someone gets a penalty.
Grant - would love for this to be his fit, but while he can certainly center his own line to good effect, i don't know if he can play what Getz needs in a linemate.
Shore - naw.  
rest of them - naw.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

you guys are convincing me.

i think MaxC is trying, and making progress.  enough progress that i hesitate to move him away from Getz as he's coming on.  TT isn't the right fit... so who do we link up?

Silf - doesn't seem to be the receiver that Getz needs.  Silf makes his own plays.  I don't see him as a good fit.
RR - he and Max are interchangeable, just RR is a bit better currently.  Having both on the same line would be weird and probably not productive.
Kase - can snipe and scrap, but still doesn't seem like the missing chip.  Could be worth a try, and he can accept crazy Getzpasses (better than most).
Hank - hmm.  Maybe?  He's a little small, but his natural tendencies seem to aim him at the net?
which brings us to:
NR.  I hate to say it, but this is the guy we need with Getz and either MaxC or RR (or maybe Kase).  He can move around and through the crease at will and can accept passes, he's just inconsistent, sort of boneheaded, can't pass away as well as he should, and takes too many penalties.  If he could just be better, he'd be the missing partner, right?

anyway, the rest:
max jones - could be, but still a little young.  he's pretty smart, though, and seems pretty fast.  i expect him to be 5x the player NR is when he reaches the same tenure NR has now.
Rowney - can't accept Getzpasses reliably, nor hold on to the puck or keep his position with strength.  decent stand-in when someone gets a penalty.
Grant - would love for this to be his fit, but while he can certainly center his own line to good effect, i don't know if he can play what Getz needs in a linemate.
Shore - naw.  
rest of them - naw.

Thoughts?

IIRC, Comtois started last season with Rico and Kase and looked pretty good. I like Comtois’ development so far and would like to see that trio together again. 67-15-33, 53-14-25, 29/37-34-61, 49-38-24. That line up would win some games, and look much better doing it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Goaltending still continues to be the thing that keeps the Ducks afloat. I still think that they are better than under Carlyle.

It's hard to set the bar lower than that though.  I still blame all of us who were critical of Carlyle around the middle of last season, when we were really stinking up the league.  Had he not gotten fired when he did, and was allowed to finish out the season, we would have had a better lottery pick for sure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nieder said:

This is my concern. It's probable that some combination of our kids develop enough that we have a lot of young setup guys and middling goal scorers, but if this team is going to take a step forward in a few seasons we are going to need some true shooters. I have high hopes for Brayden Tracey though he's also not thought of primarily a goal scorer (I'm going to go and watch him play next month to get a good look at him). Sprong I would love to see just start demolishing the AHL but he's started slow (well, the entire Gulls team has to be fair). 

We might take a big step with that at next June's draft depending on where we are picking, but it's going to take time to get those players. Luckily, there's no real rush to do so. I'd like to see Sprong eventually in the lineup and have Getzlaf, Steel, Terry feeding him pucks and see what happens. Even though, he's not a long-term solution.

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I agree that's the line to best utilize Getzlaf's passing ability, though I don't have an issue with Eakins going Magic Bullet and putting lines in a blender for the time being. He should have more continuity as he gets feedback from different combos. As far as wasting one of Getzlaf's remaining seasons, this is a season pretty much resigned to that just given the rebuild phase that they are in. Let's just hope he ages well enough and long enough to be a part of the next contending window.

I think we're okay. Our goaltending tandem is elite.

Our D (when healthy) should be quite good but it's not clicking. We lack that gamechanger on our D but you can rank our best D men from very good to serviceable (which is fine on a bottom pairing). I think our D could consist of Manson, Lindholm, Fowler, Guhle, Gudbransson & Mahura. Some good puck movers, some big bodies and a bit of offense. While that's not elite it's a pretty good core. But for some reason they can't reach their full potential. Staying healthy is another problem.

We do lack scoring. I love what I'm seeing of Silfverberg & Henrique and Getzlaf lately. Rakell can be better I think. Outside of those guys it's pretty bleak. I do think it might get better if Eakins can come up with better line combos.

If we want to make something of this season special teams will be key. While our PK is more than fine our PP is abysmal. Fix the PP and I think we can reach The Playoffs. If it stays the same I can see us finishing around #10.

In the end it's pretty obvious we're missing a scorer. We could really use a Laine or a Pastrak. Unfortunately we don't have the pieces to make such a trade (unless we'd be prepared to lose Lindholm but that would be dumb).

We need an elite scorer like Panarin or Kane or Pastrnak. And Manson to be healthy, of course. We had a good start to the season, but it faded, now HCDE has to survive the grind and lead the team out of it.

Clearly IF Ducks Do need a trade we need to give up something in return...for scorer...Look at the previous season...Our Ducks,Our team was ranked LAST in Scoring So getting Goal Scorer will spark this team....Right now we have Youth going through the phases.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I think we're okay. Our goaltending tandem is elite.

Our D (when healthy) should be quite good but it's not clicking. We lack that gamechanger on our D but you can rank our best D men from very good to serviceable (which is fine on a bottom pairing). I think our D could consist of Manson, Lindholm, Fowler, Guhle, Gudbransson & Mahura. Some good puck movers, some big bodies and a bit of offense. While that's not elite it's a pretty good core. But for some reason they can't reach their full potential. Staying healthy is another problem.

We do lack scoring. I love what I'm seeing of Silfverberg & Henrique and Getzlaf lately. Rakell can be better I think. Outside of those guys it's pretty bleak. I do think it might get better if Eakins can come up with better line combos.

If we want to make something of this season special teams will be key. While our PK is more than fine our PP is abysmal. Fix the PP and I think we can reach The Playoffs. If it stays the same I can see us finishing around #10.

In the end it's pretty obvious we're missing a scorer. We could really use a Laine or a Pastrak. Unfortunately we don't have the pieces to make such a trade (unless we'd be prepared to lose Lindholm but that would be dumb).

That would be a pretty good D. I'd like Holzer, mdz and Larsson out. At this point I would even take Bieksa over those guys. 😂

I'd like to see Grant with Getz. He hustles and creates space but this removes probably our best player from the bottom line. Maybe with Comtois? Those are all really big guys. But honestly we do need someone who's a scorer. At this point I don't care if he'd be a drifter, we need someone to put pucks in the net. Silf, Henry and Raks are all former 30 goal scorers but we need someone else. I did notice the issue with us playing only a perimeter game. Get someone who can go through the middle!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aksun said:

We need an elite scorer like Panarin or Kane or Pastrnak. And Manson to be healthy, of course. We had a good start to the season, but it faded, now HCDE has to survive the grind and lead the team out of it.

Interestingly, only two of the last 10 Stanley Cup champs have had a 40-goal scorer on their team that season (Ovi in 2018, Crosby in 2017). 4 of the 10 haven't even had a 30-goal scorer during the season they won it all. And the 2016-17 Penguins are the only champion to have at least two guys score 30+ goals (Crosby (44), Malkin(33)).

I don't think we need an elite scorer to build a champion. It's just far too common that teams will shut down top scorers in the playoffs through defensive schemes and physical play (see e.g. Perry, Corey) , so I don't think the Ducks should worry that they don't currently have that elite scorer. What management needs to focus on is building a team that can spread scoring across multiple lines and defense pairs and excel in a tight-checking, physical playoffs series.

• Thanks 2

Interestingly, only two of the last 10 Stanley Cup champs have had a 40-goal scorer on their team that season (Ovi in 2018, Crosby in 2017). 4 of the 10 haven't even had a 30-goal scorer during the season they won it all. And the 2016-17 Penguins are the only champion to have at least two guys score 30+ goals (Crosby (44), Malkin(33)).

I don't think we need an elite scorer to build a champion. It's just far too common that teams will shut down top scorers in the playoffs through defensive schemes and physical play (see e.g. Perry, Corey) , so I don't think the Ducks should worry that they don't currently have that elite scorer. What management needs to focus on is building a team that can spread scoring across multiple lines and defense pairs and excel in a tight-checking, physical playoffs series.

I call it "Developing within" Ducks Will focus on on their rank-and-File to take them back to the promise land as they did before in 2003.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

11 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Thanks for this bit of info, it is actually an eye-opener. So what you're saing is Bob's been doing everything right - do not chase big names who cost north of $7 to fill out two top heavy lines and have them carry you - but rather build a 4-line team with guys like Grant to compete across the board.

So I will shift the nature of the substance of my original question\request - since we don't really need a Pastrnak-type and should have enough scoring as it is, just more consistency from the forwards and less perimeter play (that's systems and is on HCDE), do we instead need a star D-man, one or two like we had with Pronger and Niedermayer (LOL @ SJ two Burnses haha very useful and cost-effective). If we get even one, will it be an offensive-minded like SJ have or a more SAH-type like Suter?

Edited by Aksun
Edit: Man, I wish we still had Vatanen\Montour.

18 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Good info.  I retract my statement about needing an elite goal scorer to having Terry, Comtois, Steel, and Jones all start to produce 40+ points a season would make the Ducks good.

9 hours ago, Aksun said:

Thanks for this bit of info, it is actually an eye-opener. So what you're saing is Bob's been doing everything right - do not chase big names who cost north of $7 to fill out two top heavy lines and have them carry you - but rather build a 4-line team with guys like Grant to compete across the board.

So I will shift the nature of the substance of my original question\request - since we don't really need a Pastrnak-type and should have enough scoring as it is, just more consistency from the forwards and less perimeter play (that's systems and is on HCDE), do we instead need a star D-man, one or two like we had with Pronger and Niedermayer (LOL @ SJ two Burnses haha very useful and cost-effective). If we get even one, will it be an offensive-minded like SJ have or a more SAH-type like Suter?

Well, let's not get crazy here! He's not doing everything right. Not by a long shot...

I think the focus needs to be on developing a strong group of centers and finding another top-4 D-man (preferably a right-shot who can play on the PP). You need strong center play from your top-3 Cs to win in this league, and you also need a top-4 D that can lock down the front of the net in the playoffs and contribute on the PP. I'm hopeful Zegras can eventually fill a #1C role for us, but I don't know where that #4D comes from. Maybe GMBM finally makes a trade using one of our young LWs. We're so deep at that position with high-upside rookies and prospects that it would make sense to move one (plus maybe a late 1st or 2nd rounder) for a top-4 D-man. The more I see of Comtois, the more I believe he is going to be a real deal top-6 power forward within 1-2 years, so the only LWs I would not consider moving are Comtois and Rakell. Every one else (Ritchie, Jones, Tracey, Shore) should be on the table to upgrade elsewhere.

• Like 1

Well, let's not get crazy here! He's not doing everything right. Not by a long shot...

I think the focus needs to be on developing a strong group of centers and finding another top-4 D-man (preferably a right-shot who can play on the PP). You need strong center play from your top-3 Cs to win in this league, and you also need a top-4 D that can lock down the front of the net in the playoffs and contribute on the PP. I'm hopeful Zegras can eventually fill a #1C role for us, but I don't know where that #4D comes from. Maybe GMBM finally makes a trade using one of our young LWs. We're so deep at that position with high-upside rookies and prospects that it would make sense to move one (plus maybe a late 1st or 2nd rounder) for a top-4 D-man. The more I see of Comtois, the more I believe he is going to be a real deal top-6 power forward within 1-2 years, so the only LWs I would not consider moving are Comtois and Rakell. Every one else (Ritchie, Jones, Tracey, Shore) should be on the table to upgrade elsewhere.

not Jones!  :(

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Interesting...what Bout Larsson?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck