The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

2 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Interesting...what Bout Larsson?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Toronto would take him ...

On 11/6/2019 at 11:07 AM, nieder said:

Not really.

The flashes of speed and extended offensive zone shifts are nice and give some hope for the direction this team is headed. But even on those extended attacking shifts we had last night there was just no penetration on the center of the ice. Everything is on the perimeter. Teams aren't going to mind defending Anaheim for long stretches in their own zone if all the Ducks do is pass around the outside and take long shots with no traffic. We need guys willing to bring the puck into the middle of the ice and score from dirty areas in front of the net. We really need someone like Perry circa 2011.

The defense is probably as good as we can expect it to be considering we are playing Holzer, Del Zotto, Gudbranson and Larsson so much every night. They are all average NHL players at best, though Gudbranson has been surprisingly serviceable considering he is playing way more minutes than he really should be. Lindholm also isn't fully practicing so he's still playing hurt.

You don’t think Nick Ritchie can fill that role in the dirty areas?

1 hour ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

You don’t think Nick Ritchie can fill that role in the dirty areas?

I think Richie has pretty much reached his ceiling, I don't think he's ever going to be better than this. The one thing that can really make him an effective player is if he matures his game. He's still young but I think his game could be fine if/ when he cleans it up. That's probably the biggest knock on him currently. But if he cleans it up, he can really be useful. I don't think he's magically going to be a more skillful player, but he's still raw in his game I think. I think he just needs more time to develop that sense. I know he's had his chance but I think he's still a work in progress. It's frustrating to watch but if he could only mature in his overall play, he could just be the guy we need. 

• Like 3

Guys, at work someone hold us accountable, No one does that on the team. the Fish rots from the head down. 

Now, look in our history we never had a great Power Play we had Good power play were are we in the league pp gols?  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Joker8 said:

Guys, at work someone hold us accountable, No one does that on the team. the Fish rots from the head down. 

Now, look in our history we never had a great Power Play we had Good power play were are we in the league pp gols?  

The 2015 - 2016 season the Ducks ended up with the #1 PP in the league. That's not great?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dukitup said:

The 2015 - 2016 season the Ducks ended up with the #1 PP in the league. That's not great?

If I’m not mistaken, we were also #1 on the PK

13 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I think Richie has pretty much reached his ceiling, I don't think he's ever going to be better than this. The one thing that can really make him an effective player is if he matures his game. He's still young but I think his game could be fine if/ when he cleans it up. That's probably the biggest knock on him currently. But if he cleans it up, he can really be useful. I don't think he's magically going to be a more skillful player, but he's still raw in his game I think. I think he just needs more time to develop that sense. I know he's had his chance but I think he's still a work in progress. It's frustrating to watch but if he could only mature in his overall play, he could just be the guy we need. 

What I see in Richie is a big body, a tough guy attitude, and decent hands down low.  Those things add up, in my eyes, as a recipe for someone to camp out in front of the goal to create opportunities.

Yes, he has to clean up the silly penalties.  Whatever else you think he needs, fine.  But I think the basics are there for the dirty area role and I've wondered why he isn't told to camp there, or why the people on this board dislike him so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

What I see in Richie is a big body, a tough guy attitude, and decent hands down low.  Those things add up, in my eyes, as a recipe for someone to camp out in front of the goal to create opportunities.

Yes, he has to clean up the silly penalties.  Whatever else you think he needs, fine.  But I think the basics are there for the dirty area role and I've wondered why he isn't told to camp there, or why the people on this board dislike him so.

Yes, this is what I think as well. Once he cleans up his game and goes down low into those dirty areas he might actually become a 20+ goal scorer. I think the potential is there, he just is frustrating to watch at this point. 

2 hours ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

Because I think he has been told this, but his compete level is too low for him to execute that role on a consistent basis.  He’s got decent hands and good size, but so far he hasn’t been a very high energy player and he takes too many bad penalties and too often shows a lack of situational awareness. And his back checking effort has been atrocious too. That’s why I dislike his game. I also thought his hold out last season was garbage.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Because I think he has been told this, but his compete level is too low for him to execute that role on a consistent basis.  He’s got decent hands and good size, but so far he hasn’t been a very high energy player and he takes too many bad penalties and too often shows a lack of situational awareness. And his back checking effort has been atrocious too. That’s why I dislike his game. I also thought his hold out last season was garbage.  

He hadn't even proven he was a consistent player on the team. That was a bad move on his part. I get it the young guys coming into the league, especially those drafted in the top 10, think they deserve a spot on the team/certain role but they really need to prove themselves first. You earn your spots, not handed to you on a silver platter. And Richie had no reason to hold out. I'd still consider him a fringe nhl player with the way he currently plays and that's disappointing. But I think he can turn into a good player for us once he starts making better decisions on the ice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

I am just so surprised here.  Where is the coaching and management demanding changes and accountability of the players?  

In the  LOCKER ROOM behind close DOORS  - just where it should be !! IMHO

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DUCKSDOC said:

In the  LOCKER ROOM behind close DOORS  - just where it should be !! IMHO

And that is OK, but the on-ice results should reflect the stuff from behind closed doors.  Or maybe it does and the Ducks hockey-minds disagree with the board?  Surprise.

We're competitive. Unlike last season. 

P.s. Gubrandson plays around his limitations very well in my opinion.  Takes good angles and uses the stick well to make up for his lack of speed. Much better than expected.

Edited by Thom-74
  • Like 3

On 11/8/2019 at 10:58 PM, Fisix said:

Toronto would take him ...

Hopefully we can get Nylander or Ceci.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

22 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

We're competitive. Unlike last season. 

P.s. Gubrandson plays around his limitations very well in my opinion.  Takes good angles and uses the stick well to make up for his lack of speed. Much better than expected.

eh. I think that we are more competitive compared to last season but that's not a high bar to clear. Without Gibson, we'd be worse than the Kings.

23 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Hopefully we can get Nylander or Ceci.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

God, please not Ceci.  Ug.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

God, please not Ceci.  Ug.

Your not fan of Ceci I guess....maybe get Reinhart.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:58 PM, DucksFan_08 said:

I think we're okay. Our goaltending tandem is elite.

Our D (when healthy) should be quite good but it's not clicking. We lack that gamechanger on our D but you can rank our best D men from very good to serviceable (which is fine on a bottom pairing). I think our D could consist of Manson, Lindholm, Fowler, Guhle, Gudbransson & Mahura. Some good puck movers, some big bodies and a bit of offense. While that's not elite it's a pretty good core. But for some reason they can't reach their full potential. Staying healthy is another problem.

We do lack scoring. I love what I'm seeing of Silfverberg & Henrique and Getzlaf lately. Rakell can be better I think. Outside of those guys it's pretty bleak. I do think it might get better if Eakins can come up with better line combos.

If we want to make something of this season special teams will be key. While our PK is more than fine our PP is abysmal. Fix the PP and I think we can reach The Playoffs. If it stays the same I can see us finishing around #10.

In the end it's pretty obvious we're missing a scorer. We could really use a Laine or a Pastrak. Unfortunately we don't have the pieces to make such a trade (unless we'd be prepared to lose Lindholm but that would be dumb).

I like to reconsider my answer. That chicago loss was tough. Losing against minnesota at home after being up by 2 is unacceptable but anybody can have bad day. The way we responded is what bothers me. Getting our butts whooped by the oilers and then another devastating loss against detroit. At home, leading by 2 only to lose against one of the worst teams in the league.
I don't know who runs the PP but he should be fired. We're more dangerous shorthanded than we are on the PP. And if a player of the other teams needs a rest he can take a penalty and relax for 2 minutes. We're a joke.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I like to reconsider my answer. That chicago loss was tough. Losing against minnesota at home after being up by 2 is unacceptable but anybody can have bad day. The way we responded is what bothers me. Getting our butts whooped by the oilers and then another devastating loss against detroit. At home, leading by 2 only to lose against one of the worst teams in the league.
I don't know who runs the PP but he should be fired. We're more dangerous shorthanded than we are on the PP. And if a player of the other teams needs a rest he can take a penalty and relax for 2 minutes. We're a joke.

But is any of this a surprise? A team that was projected to be relatively bad, struggling and rebuilding is doing just that. The Ducks are still a better product than they were under Carlyle. They aren’t a joke, every team goes through rebuilds and rough years. Jokes are what the Oilers have been or what the Hurricanes and Leafs were.

We all know what the team needs and where they need to improve. Missing our top pairing when we have awful defensive depth isn’t helping at all either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

To call our team a "joke" is mean imo. We have a top 4 D of Lindholm (out), Manson (out), Fowler and Guhle (30 NHL games). What do you expect? When we had a healthy D, we were doing ok. I don't get the expectations when all along this was a rebuilding year. Is the PP a disappointment? Yes. But to call the team a joke, man, just brutal. 

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

To call our team a "joke" is mean imo. We have a top 4 D of Lindholm (out), Manson (out), Fowler and Guhle (30 NHL games). What do you expect? When we had a healthy D, we were doing ok. I don't get the expectations when all along this was a rebuilding year. Is the PP a disappointment? Yes. But to call the team a joke, man, just brutal. 

yes, absolutely we have to consider what our D has been these past few games. but our PP was horrible when healthy and the entirety of last season. also our d was horrible last season and they seem to be better now when healthy? i dunno...im just not really convinced Wilford/Morrison are helping much...and they may be hurting us. i was calling for their heads before RC's last season...but i dunno. it could be more on our forwards than the D for why they D is looking bad....like Ahlers said last night when Guhle was behind the net to end the period...don't boo him...boo the forwards who were saying they didn't want the puck....

what forwards say they don't want the puck!?!??! sure, it's the end of the period...but...what??? that is not a confident forward group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

But is any of this a surprise? A team that was projected to be relatively bad, struggling and rebuilding is doing just that. The Ducks are still a better product than they were under Carlyle. They aren’t a joke, every team goes through rebuilds and rough years. Jokes are what the Oilers have been or what the Hurricanes and Leafs were.

We all know what the team needs and where they need to improve. Missing our top pairing when we have awful defensive depth isn’t helping at all either.

I would say yes, there are several significant surprises. Raise your hand if you expected Getzlaf to have only 5 assists through the first 19 games, and NONE on goals scored by his line mates. That's a huge surprise, no? Getzlaf can sleep-walk his way through a 40 assist season (he nearly did last season) but he's somehow on pace for a measly 21 assists this season. That's pathetic for one of the game's elite passers, and I think its totally fair to be surprised and disappointed by it, especially since Getzy has been playing pretty well individually. 

I also didn't expect the PP to look this bad. I agree with the above sentiments that it's not fair to call the team a joke, but it is absolutely fair to call the power play a joke (maybe that's what was actually intended by that comment?). In fact, even the Ducks beat writers frequently comment that it should be an option to decline the PP because the team's execution is so bad. When your own beat writers are cracking jokes about the futility of your power play, your power play is officially a joke. And I am surprised it's a joke. I didn't expect to have a top-5 PP, but it's definitely a surprise that the PP is as horrible as it is.... again.

I am also surprised that the kids have seemingly regressed from the end of last season. Steel played 22 games at the end of last season and posted 6G/5A, and looked really exciting doing it. I was hoping for more of the same and/or a step forward this season, but so far he has 0G/7A in 15 games and frankly looks overwhelmed quite a bit, even though he's getting more sheltered minutes so far this season. IMO, Terry and Jones looked much more effective last season too. Jones was a madman last season in creating scoring chances. But while he still brings a lot of energy, it looks to me like he and his other rookie mates are drifting more and more to the outside rather than going harder to the net. I was expecting them all to take a step forward this season (like having even more courage to go to the dirty areas) after a full training camp and with their coach from San Diego now behind Anaheim's bench, but so far I'm not seeing much that matches or exceeds what we saw from that group last season. It's obviously still a bit early to be disappointed in them, but I am certainly a bit surprised at some of the regression.

Currently I'm chalking up most of the "surprises" to tactical failures by the coaching staff rather than putting it all on the players. Specifically, tactical failures in line groupings/matching, PP schemes, D-pairing deployment, scratch decisions, etc. Injuries and a lack of depth at key positions sucks too, but IMO getting out-coached tactically is what's currently putting losses on the board for this team. I'm starting to get really concerned that Oiler fans had some legitimate gripes about Eakins' coaching abilities.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, dukitup said:

Calling a Team a "Joke" is very Naive of some within Ducks Fanbase.....We have expectations others do while some like want to enjoy this Season.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

7 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I would say yes, there are several significant surprises. Raise your hand if you expected Getzlaf to have only 5 assists through the first 19 games, and NONE on goals scored by his line mates. That's a huge surprise, no? Getzlaf can sleep-walk his way through a 40 assist season (he nearly did last season) but he's somehow on pace for a measly 21 assists this season. That's pathetic for one of the game's elite passers, and I think its totally fair to be surprised and disappointed by it, especially since Getzy has been playing pretty well individually. 

I also didn't expect the PP to look this bad. I agree with the above sentiments that it's not fair to call the team a joke, but it is absolutely fair to call the power play a joke (maybe that's what was actually intended by that comment?). In fact, even the Ducks beat writers frequently comment that it should be an option to decline the PP because the team's execution is so bad. When your own beat writers are cracking jokes about the futility of your power play, your power play is officially a joke. And I am surprised it's a joke. I didn't expect to have a top-5 PP, but it's definitely a surprise that the PP is as horrible as it is.... again.

I am also surprised that the kids have seemingly regressed from the end of last season. Steel played 22 games at the end of last season and posted 6G/5A, and looked really exciting doing it. I was hoping for more of the same and/or a step forward this season, but so far he has 0G/7A in 15 games and frankly looks overwhelmed quite a bit, even though he's getting more sheltered minutes so far this season. IMO, Terry and Jones looked much more effective last season too. Jones was a madman last season in creating scoring chances. But while he still brings a lot of energy, it looks to me like he and his other rookie mates are drifting more and more to the outside rather than going harder to the net. I was expecting them all to take a step forward this season (like having even more courage to go to the dirty areas) after a full training camp and with their coach from San Diego now behind Anaheim's bench, but so far I'm not seeing much that matches or exceeds what we saw from that group last season. It's obviously still a bit early to be disappointed in them, but I am certainly a bit surprised at some of the regression.

Currently I'm chalking up most of the "surprises" to tactical failures by the coaching staff rather than putting it all on the players. Specifically, tactical failures in line groupings/matching, PP schemes, D-pairing deployment, scratch decisions, etc. Injuries and a lack of depth at key positions sucks too, but IMO getting out-coached tactically is what's currently putting losses on the board for this team. I'm starting to get really concerned that Oiler fans had some legitimate gripes about Eakins' coaching abilities.

Yeah. Getzlaf’s assists being down makes sense given the rotating line mates he’s had. If you put him with Rakell and Silfverberg, which I think you mentioned previously, his numbers will be better since they are competent enough of finishers. Especially with Getzlaf feeding them the puck. The Ducks just have painfully few of those. They are right in line where many pegged them in standings so far.

The kids regressing isn’t great but I think it’s part of the peaks and valleys as they figure things out very early on in their careers. If they don’t have a smooth, continuous upward trend then that’s ok for right now. If by the end of say next season things aren’t where they need to be then I’ll be smashing the panic button. 

I agree that the PP shouldn’t be this bad and really has no where to go but up. Eakins is also going through a learning process again as an NHL coach and has been put in a tough spot in trying to develop the new wave of Ducks players. Putting up loses this season is fine in the long run and hopefully management doesn’t make a panic move (ie Kase for Faulk) and just waits it out.

• Like 1

HCDE being a bum was always going to be a risk after the offseason we had. His Failmonton stint may have been masked by their GM' stupidity at the time, signing non-fitting players or busts, etc.

If this is the case, both BM and DE are getting the big axe after 2-3 non-playoff years.

Well, we seem to play better 4 on 4 than on the power play.  I have an idea.  Perhaps when we draw a penalty we could quickly take a penalty of our own before the whistle blows.  That way we'd have a better chance of scoring...  🙃

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Belarus said:

Well, we seem to play better 4 on 4 than on the power play.  I have an idea.  Perhaps when we draw a penalty we could quickly take a penalty of our own before the whistle blows.  That way we'd have a better chance of scoring...  🙃

No problem with taking a penalty to counter a PP that we may get - we gots a Ritchie, a Holzer, and a bunch of other buffoons if the former are not enough already.

19 hours ago, dukitup said:

Sure those injuries hurt us and we have a lot of younglings. I accept that and I understand they're going to have some rough games/stretches. I don't even mind them losing but it's the way you lose. In that regard the losses against minnesota and detroit hurt big time.

My joke comment was more about the PP, not the team. I should have made that more clear and for that I apologize. But our PP is in fact a joke. I stand by that. Even when we were healthy and winning games we weren't scoring on our PP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2