The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

59 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Sure those injuries hurt us and we have a lot of younglings. I accept that and I understand they're going to have some rough games/stretches. I don't even mind them losing but it's the way you lose. In that regard the losses against minnesota and detroit hurt big time.

My joke comment was more about the PP, not the team. I should have made that more clear and for that I apologize. But our PP is in fact a joke. I stand by that. Even when we were healthy and winning games we weren't scoring on our PP.

We need to axe Morrison.

• Like 1

Did you guys notice the secret service-esque earphone Morrison was wearing at the Detroit game?

I hadn't noticed it before.  I'm thinking BM is making calls from the couch.

9 hours ago, Fisix said:

Did you guys notice the secret service-esque earphone Morrison was wearing at the Detroit game?

He always has it, nothing new. Perhaps MM is charged with receiving input from the video guy, who sits in a cosy video room.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Fisix said:

Really one thing I wonder is IF BM is still working on to bolster the Ducks Roster.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 11/14/2019 at 5:01 AM, Aksun said:

We need to axe Morrison.

im with you on that!...and wilford, too...but we can start with Morrison...

50 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

im with you on that!...and wilford, too...but we can start with Morrison...

Yes yes yes yes ^infinity

Get rid of that awful power play set up. You can see clearly it's the system. They take perimeter shots, if they even get a shot, and the other team looks more dangerous on our so called "power" (less) play. Seriously, I'm worried every time we get one. It's pretty obvious it's not working. But wasn't he also the assistant in San Diego? It shouldn't be some sort of adapting issue since most of the players who came from the gulls should be comfortable with it. This brings up an interesting question. Does anyone have stats on the pp for the gulls while he was there?

On 11/14/2019 at 5:01 AM, Aksun said:

We need to axe Morrison.

And promote Dineen from San Diego. He ran the Hawks’ PP when they beat us in the WCF in 2015.

13 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Still?

Just wondering considering he is stubborn to make THAT TRADE...the BIG ONE. Some Flaws need to be corrected asap.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

And promote Dineen from San Diego. He ran the Hawks’ PP when they beat us in the WCF in 2015.

Wait! The organization is sitting on a guy who ran the Blackhawks PP and they're not utilizing him for the big kid team?!

• Like 3

On 11/14/2019 at 11:00 PM, Aksun said:

He always has it, nothing new. Perhaps MM is charged with receiving input from the video guy, who sits in a cosy video room.

You're probably right, it's akin to something like football. Instead of using the oversized McDonald's headset that football loves for some reason.

Back when I worked on film sets we always used the "ear worm" and relentlessly mocked the McDonalds headset.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, poum said:

Wait! The organization is sitting on a guy who ran the Blackhawks PP and they're not utilizing him for the big kid team?!

yeah, wait, what?!

On 11/17/2019 at 5:33 AM, poum said:

Guessing they are just seeing what he does for the Gulls before Ducks Promote him.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 minutes ago, bufbarnaby said:

No...just saw the Kucherov goal...2 ducks went after same guy...left him open. One Duck was Fowler !

Yeah that was all mental mistake and no communication 

13 hours ago, Pazonator said:

Yeah that was all mental mistake and no communication 

And poor effort. Larsson made zero effort to battle him for the puck.

Interesting comments from some veteran Ducks in Eric Stephens' piece in the Athletic:

“I expect more out of our group in general,” Getzlaf said. “It’s disappointing when we play so well. I thought we came out and started the game properly. Worked hard. Battled hard. Got some adversity when they got a power play (on) kind of a chintzy call and they scored a goal. And then we quit. Simple as that. I don’t know if we’re feeling bad for ourselves or what we’re doing, but we quit.”

When situations in games turn hairy, it can’t be all on the shoulders of the veterans to carry them to victory.

“When we get in those situations — because that’s going to happen a lot to us in the future, too, where we’re going to play great and have chances and we’re not going to get rewarded and other team does — that’s when you need guys to step (up) and just grind and keep going,” Lindholm said. “You can’t have guys thinking it’s going to be Getzy. Guys thinking it’s going to be me. It has to be everyone.

“Obviously, you want your veteran guys to do it. But the other guys can’t expect us to be the ones doing it. Because they should be (also doing it) themselves. We’re a team of 23 guys and five guys on the ice every time. If anyone tries to think the other guy is going to do it for them, it’s not going to end well for us.”

Living with Jacob Larsson struggling mightily as he did Saturday or the repeated inability of Sam Steel and Troy Terry to turn promising rushes into Grade-A scoring chances or convert the good looks they do generate is going to induce frustration. It must be done as they develop. And the veterans must provide support even as they’re clearly applying some pressure on them to step forward.

‘We can only pet each other so long,” Getzlaf said. “It’s the reality of the game. It’s a results-based business. I don’t care if we’re rebuilding or regrouping or whatever the heck we’re doing. We got to compete at a high level. I can deal with losses if we play hard all night long. That’s not an issue. It’s about finding that consistency throughout 60 minutes of hockey that allows us to compete and stay in games and not feel bad for ourselves.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Obviously, you want your veteran guys to do it. But the other guys can’t expect us to be the ones doing it. Because they should be (also doing it) themselves. We’re a team of 23 guys and five guys on the ice every time. If anyone tries to think the other guy is going to do it for them, it’s not going to end well for us.”

Living with Jacob Larsson struggling mightily as he did Saturday or the repeated inability of Sam Steel and Troy Terry to turn promising rushes into Grade-A scoring chances or convert the good looks they do generate is going to induce frustration. It must be done as they develop. And the veterans must provide support even as they’re clearly applying some pressure on them to step forward.

‘We can only pet each other so long,” Getzlaf said. “It’s the reality of the game. It’s a results-based business. I don’t care if we’re rebuilding or regrouping or whatever the heck we’re doing. We got to compete at a high level. I can deal with losses if we play hard all night long. That’s not an issue. It’s about finding that consistency throughout 60 minutes of hockey that allows us to compete and stay in games and not feel bad for ourselves.”

I would agree that Larsson isn't really cutting it.  I don't agree with the Steel and Terry comment - they keep ramping up, and that's what I want them to do.  Goals would be great, but I think I'm not being too optimistic in thinking they're coming.

I also DON'T think I'm being too pessimistic with Larsson.  There's something missing with his game that isn't being addressed - he's not progressing in a measurable sense that I can see.  I may be blind to what he's doing correctly, so I'm game for someone to objectively point out how he's coming along... but I see Holzer doing measurably better (not a ton better, but visibly better) on his assignments, and I don't see even that minimal movement with Larsson.  It's going to suck for him, but I think he needs to be in the AHL or wherever he's going to get someone to focus him on his weaknesses in terms of reading the game as an NHL D-man. 

Larsson doesn't seem like he has a below average intellect... he seems more like that new employee who got recommended to you to help on project A, and you find out eventually that he lied on his resume and hoped to train up quickly before anyone would notice... but he doesn't have a clue of what kind of work that'd take, and he's doing X thinking it's XX, while everyone else is doing XXX to cover for him.  I may have just convinced myself that he isn't putting in the head work needed to be successful - like a NFL football player who refuses to study the coach's playbook or video on opponents, thinking that he's got enough innate talent to make big plays because he had enough to get into the NFL to begin with.  Clearly, I have no evidence of this aside from what we see in the games, so I could easily be way, way off as to the WHY, but I don't think I'm way off on the results we've seen/discussed. 

What's missing from the Athletic article (or at least what you've quoted) - Cam.  I'm getting the feeling more and more that Cam doesn't want the leadership position, doesn't want to train up the rooks, doesn't want to be paired with someone making the league minimum... and I think the organization is probably asking too much from him to stick him with Larsson for an entire game.  If Cam is balking, they should limit his TOI with Larsson as a line mate - Cam has some self-development he needs to spend time on too.  Larsson doesn't need to be on the ice with Cam or Hampus to learn the stuff he needs to learn, and really, based on my reading of his game, he needs to be on the ice with lower calibre line mates so that he starts learning the habits of a reliable D-man.  Or, at least I could see Cam's side if he's making that argument with Eakins/staff.  We definitely need to take some shots to the gut to make the rebuild happen quickly, but the system needs to be a little flexible to bend with the day to day emotional needs of the vets.

Hampus' comment about "think the other guy is going to do it for them" is just soooo loaded.  He called out himself and Getz.... and he left out a lot of names.  I don't think he could reasonably be thinking about anyone on Grant's line, or any of the d-men except for Larsson.  The rest of the forwards... who of the rooks and vets has been leaving the d-lines hanging?  

• Like 1

I shouldn't post twice in a row in a non-game day thread (and try not to), but this nugget in my head is screaming to get out.

Getz pretty much has his HoF ticket punched, but of the Vets, he's the only one.  Cam, and maybe 1-2 of the others, are pretty much entering/at their prime, and they need to get rolling on stats and success if they want a career that'll be lauded after they've retired.  In particular, I think Cam is probably feeling the quickening... and I could see him being the most frustrated by the year off.  Silf, Hank, and RR are tied for second on that list, but they're (mostly?) on the same line and sort of where they need to be to shine (if they can work out a few kinks).  maybe they need that bee in their bonnets?  Cam might be getting the most pressure from the fans and the team to step it up, and that'll naturally leak out as frustrations with his team and linemates.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fisix said:

I shouldn't post twice in a row in a non-game day thread (and try not to), but this nugget in my head is screaming to get out.

Getz pretty much has his HoF ticket punched, but of the Vets, he's the only one.  Cam, and maybe 1-2 of the others, are pretty much entering/at their prime, and they need to get rolling on stats and success if they want a career that'll be lauded after they've retired.  In particular, I think Cam is probably feeling the quickening... and I could see him being the most frustrated by the year off.  Silf, Hank, and RR are tied for second on that list, but they're (mostly?) on the same line and sort of where they need to be to shine (if they can work out a few kinks).  maybe they need that bee in their bonnets?  Cam might be getting the most pressure from the fans and the team to step it up, and that'll naturally leak out as frustrations with his team and linemates.

I think Gudbranson may be just what Fowler needs to get his confidence back and to really ramp up his game. EG in the middle crushing opposing forwards means Fowler can use his skating to defend the perimeter more rather than being sucked in near the crease, which is his Achilles heel. EG also moves the puck pretty ok, and he can play that SAH role that Fowler needs in a partner to be aggressive in transition (unlike Monty, who was constantly flying the zone). I also think Fowler may be just what EG needs too. From what I’ve read, EG played some of his best hockey in Florida when he was with Yandle, who plays a similar game to Fowler. Fowler’s ability to quickly grab pucks and skate them out of danger compliments EG’s crash, bang, and bury style, which leaves a lot of pucks laying around in front of the crease. So far it seems like EG struggles the most when either his partner or the low forward isn’t active enough in clearing pucks when he is physically tying up his man, and he loses position the longer that puck stays loose in front of the net. A quicker Fowler will probably help EG in maintaining his space and positioning down low. 

I’m really hoping HCDE keeps 4-6 together. They reminded me last night of the Fowler-Despres pairing in how they were able to shut down a really good forward line.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think Gudbranson may be just what Fowler needs to get his confidence back and to really ramp up his game. EG in the middle crushing opposing forwards means Fowler can use his skating to defend the perimeter more rather than being sucked in near the crease, which is his Achilles heel. EG also moves the puck pretty ok, and he can play that SAH role that Fowler needs in a partner to be aggressive in transition (unlike Monty, who was constantly flying the zone). I also think Fowler may be just what EG needs too. From what I’ve read, EG played some of his best hockey in Florida when he was with Yandle, who plays a similar game to Fowler. Fowler’s ability to quickly grab pucks and skate them out of danger compliments EG’s crash, bang, and bury style, which leaves a lot of pucks laying around in front of the crease. So far it seems like EG struggles the most when either his partner or the low forward isn’t active enough in clearing pucks when he is physically tying up his man, and he loses position the longer that puck stays loose in front of the net. A quicker Fowler will probably help EG in maintaining his space and positioning down low. 

I’m really hoping HCDE keeps 4-6 together. They reminded me last night of the Fowler-Despres pairing in how they were able to shut down a really good forward line.

I hope that Gudbranson pairing with Fowler pay off in the Longrun....To me Trading Gudbranson could turn out to be another Diamond in the Rough for the Ducks. IF Dallas keeps them together.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Shades of Scotty and Pronger?  

I really liked how Gbud played in the last game.  Like his knowledge of where he needed to be on the ice pretty much didn't waiver.  Confidence.  It looked good on him.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

Shades of Scotty and Pronger?  

I really liked how Gbud played in the last game.  Like his knowledge of where he needed to be on the ice pretty much didn't waiver.  Confidence.  It looked good on him.

C'mon, man! Haven't those two faced enough pressure with the lofty expectations they have faced since being drafted??? This is just mean. :P

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Elite shutdown defensemen. 

• Haha 1

Lidholm - Manson

Folwer - Gudbranson

is a mighty fine top 4, I agree that HCDE needs to stick to that once Josh the Destroyer returns sometime next month. Then just need to decide who will LD as the rookie be it Guhle or Mahura and find a SAH RD for that guy, in order to keep MDZ - Holzer as the substitution pair, they need to stop being regulars. Send Larsson to Europe.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Has DelZ been an issue?  I think he's been pretty good, no?

He's been fine for a 3rd line guy getting paid $750K. Too bad we've had to rely on him to play so many minutes.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

He's been fine for a 3rd line guy getting paid $750K. Too bad we've had to rely on him to play so many minutes.

i must be jaded from seeing Larsson and Guhle and Holzer out there... i was thinking DelZ would be a nice backup to round out the top 4.  I need to check to see which side he and Linds shoot on.

We should call up Wideman from the Gulls. Leading the team in points as a D-man, and has nice size. Would be worth a look , at least to replace one of Holzer or Larsson