The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
Fisix

Penalty Minutes 2019/20

Did anyone else catch that interview with Eakins where he noted that, as a team, we had a history of being very verbally aggressive with the refs, and that he had pushed the players to make an effort to not do that this year?

That seems to be paying off pretty well so far.  The penalty calls appear to be pretty even between us and the opponents this year, and even weighed slightly against our opponents.  (Note - I don't have good stats on this, nor do I know where to find them.)

The standout in terms of PIM this year is Nick Ritchie, which sadly isn't surprising.  He isn't quite doubling the PIM of the next highest player (Manson), but it's not a close race.  NR is 7th in points for the team, and 16th in +-.
RR and Cam are tied for the least PIM (with significant games played) - they each have 2.  RR is 4th in points and 1st in +-, Cam is 6th in points and 8th in +-.

Carter, Hank, and Silf have the highest shot percentages on the team - all above 20.

20 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Did anyone else catch that interview with Eakins where he noted that, as a team, we had a history of being very verbally aggressive with the refs, and that he had pushed the players to make an effort to not do that this year?

That seems to be paying off pretty well so far.  The penalty calls appear to be pretty even between us and the opponents this year, and even weighed slightly against our opponents.  (Note - I don't have good stats on this, nor do I know where to find them.)

The standout in terms of PIM this year is Nick Ritchie, which sadly isn't surprising.  He isn't quite doubling the PIM of the next highest player (Manson), but it's not a close race.  NR is 7th in points for the team, and 16th in +-.
RR and Cam are tied for the least PIM (with significant games played) - they each have 2.  RR is 4th in points and 1st in +-, Cam is 6th in points and 8th in +-.

Carter, Hank, and Silf have the highest shot percentages on the team - all above 20.

Using the Fox Sports and NHL.com stats: the Ducks have been called for the fourth most minors (65) in the league. They have been short-handed 61 times (8th most), and their opponents have been short-handed only 42 times (29th, although the two teams with fewer opportunities have also played only 13 and 15 games respectively). 

Whatever HCDE told the players, it's not working.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Using the Fox Sports and NHL.com stats: the Ducks have been called for the fourth most minors (65) in the league. They have been short-handed 61 times (8th most), and their opponents have been short-handed only 42 times (29th, although the two teams with fewer opportunities have also played only 13 and 15 games respectively). 

must have just been my perception, then, or maybe i've come to expect worse.

however, if you look at PIM/GP, Anaheim is 12th (those might be shortened by opponent's PPGs).  that oppoents being shorthanded stat is pretty dismal for us.

so, separate from the stats, what's your take on the calls you've seen in our games on the ice?  again, maybe i've become callused, but it seems like the calls have generally been fairer than in the past.

55 minutes ago, Fisix said:

must have just been my perception, then, or maybe i've come to expect worse.

however, if you look at PIM/GP, Anaheim is 12th (those might be shortened by opponent's PPGs).  that oppoents being shorthanded stat is pretty dismal for us.

so, separate from the stats, what's your take on the calls you've seen in our games on the ice?  again, maybe i've become callused, but it seems like the calls have generally been fairer than in the past.

Having watched a lot of hockey league-wide over the years, my general take is that teams who keep their feet moving get the benefit of the doubt from the refs, and teams that play slow, heavy games get called for a lot more penalties. Thus far, we are playing a bit quicker, so we're probably getting a few more calls for and few less calls against. I'm skeptical of it being due to the chatter though.

One thing that is also interesting is that we are being treated basically the same at home and on the road, with 32 times short-handed in 8 road games and 29 in 9 home games. Some teams have a HUGE discrepancy that makes it look like the zebras are catering to their hometown fans. For example:

Vancouver: 16 times short-handed in 6 home games, 43 times short-handed in 10 road games.

Montreal: 16 TS in 7 home games, 35 TS in 9 road games.

Washington: 21 TS in 7 home games, 42 TS in 10 road games.

Not sure what to make of that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

It's going to take time for the Ducks to shift towards HCDE approach...Hopefully it's quick not a slow approach.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck