The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
dukitup

Trevor Zegras

Watching World Juniors. USA has 6G in 5 periods. (It's 4-3 USA over Germany after 2 periods). Zegras has 6 assists, with at least a couple highlight reel ones. The announcers can't help but comment on his on ice vision and sweet hands. I know it's only Juniors, but to say he's been impressive so far would be an understatement. He may be something special.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Fourth line energy center??? who is playing 1st, 2nd or..... 3rd.... Wonder if it was a matter of those players being better than he is? 

WOW, Wow, wow! Hopefully, as history has it for the past 10 years, there's a "G" and a "Z" involved with Anaheim's #1 center.

*WINK*

-

Edit: Get your highlights here: https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2020/wm20/schedule

Also: our very own Lukas Dostal won the game for the Chechs against Russia 4:3.

Edited by Aksun

4 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Zegras is almost at a point per minute on the ice when he got that 4th assist 

Yeah, I don’t get why Sandelin, who was ironically in the running for the Ducks HC job, didn’t start playing him more. If Zegras’ ice time doesn’t get a noticeable boost next game then it would defy hockey logic.

27 minutes ago, Aksun said:

WOW, Wow, wow! Hopefully, as history has it for the past 10 years, there's a "G" and a "Z" involved with Anaheim's #1 center.

*WINK*

-

Edit: Get your highlights here: https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2020/wm20/schedule

Also: our very own Lukas Dostal won the game for the Chechs against Russia 4:3.

Dostal has flown under the radar a bit but he’s been great this season in Finland. I’m glad to see him getting recognized and outshining Askarov, who’s regarded as one of the best goaltending prospects in recent memory.

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, I don’t get why Sandelin, who was ironically in the running for the Ducks HC job, didn’t start playing him more. If Zegras’ ice time doesn’t get a noticeable boost next game then it would defy hockey logic.

Dostal has flown under the radar a bit but he’s been great this season in Finland. I’m glad to see him getting recognized and outshining Askarov, who’s regarded as one of the best goaltending prospects in recent memory.

Makes me a little nervous that there’s something behind the scenes going on with Zegras

49 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Makes me a little nervous that there’s something behind the scenes going on with Zegras

It's possible but if there is some kind of serious character issue with him, I'd like to think Murray would have already snuffed that out prior to the draft. I'll chalk it up to coaching ineptitude.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It's possible but if there is some kind of serious character issue with him, I'd like to think Murray would have already snuffed that out prior to the draft. I'll chalk it up to coaching ineptitude.

also...Getz and Perry had people worried about "character issues" with their "recklessness" and they fell in the draft due to that...so, even if (and its a big IF) that's the case here, i like to believe that these young guys with character issues just need the right leadership to get them into the right head space...they're only 18 or 19 or 20...still have a lot of maturing to do.

I remember 5 years ago was so much hype on this forum about Nick Ritchie: powerful, dominant forward who'll drive to the net and crush the opposing team defensemen. And now this guy, who didn't prove anything yet on professional level, but some naive Ducks fans already project him to be our #1 center. I better be quiet before some forum members start hate me here...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

I remember 5 years ago was so much hype on this forum about Nick Ritchie: powerful, dominant forward who'll drive to the net and crush the opposing team defensemen. And now this guy, who didn't prove anything yet on professional level, but some naive Ducks fans already project him to be our #1 center. I better be quiet before some forum members start hate me here...

its ok to be excited about a prospect. its a lot more fun than being hesitant -- which also is ok.

39 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Yeah, maybe the fans on social media who thought the same thing about Steel lol. People are excited because the Ducks haven't had a player with the high end skill and creativity that Zegras does in a long time. It's simply just fun watching him play. I agree that projecting him to be the next bonafide #1C or Getzlaf is unrealistic and unlikely, especially at this point (he also can play on the wing, too.) But if the Ducks are going to turn it around and be good again sooner rather than later, then Zegras is going to play a big role in that. So, seeing him shine amongst his the best of his peers is a good thing and at least gives us something to be optimistic about.

18 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I remember that his personality could come off arrogant, not that I think he is, just confident. Hopefully just coaching ineptitude 

5 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Also remember Ritchie carry a lot of offensive play this season before his injury. This board is a little harsh on him, , really turned a corner the last couple seasons imo 

5 Assists in 2games during WJHC makes me glad our Ducks Drafted him early this year...Makes you appreciate our team drafting Young Talent.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

On 12/28/2019 at 9:39 AM, FanSince1993 said:

If nobody on the board hates you, then you are not doing a very good job of expressing your opinion. 😁

BTW does anybody have a link for the USA v Russia game?
I speak neither Czech nor Russian and thus far those are the only links I am finding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Also remember Ritchie carry a lot of offensive play this season before his injury. This board is a little harsh on him, , really turned a corner the last couple seasons imo 

i actually feel this has been Ritchie's best season so far...

...that doesn't mean much still, but I do think it's been his best season. He's just not panning out to being that top LW we wanted to play with Getz/Perry.

Don't get how some people on this board don't think we should get excited watching this kid. Not saying he's a lock to be a superstar, but how fun is he to watch right now? Think he's outplaying every other player from this years draft.

Two more assists from Zegras....Can I get AMEN in Ducks Drafting this Play making Assist Magician

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

Don't get how some people on this board don't think we should get excited watching this kid. Not saying he's a lock to be a superstar, but how fun is he to watch right now? Think he's outplaying every other player from this years draft.

rough Couple of years, so people are pessimistic. Kids a stud, if he can do half of what he’s doing right now in the NHL, he’s gonna be a star

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dukitup said:

I am really excited for Zegras, but I don't blame people for being cautious given how the kids have performed this season.

Also, I have to admit to being a little cautious myself; the kid obviously has fantastic vision, but his highlights include a lot of spin-o-ramas.  I can see him trying that move in the NHL and then getting knocked on his rear before he can get halfway through it.

Edited by gorbachav5

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I am really excited for Zegras, but I don't blame people for being cautious given how the kids have performed this season.

Also, I have to admit to being a little cautious myself; the kid obviously has fantastic vision, but his highlights include a lot of spin-o-ramas.  I can see him trying that move in the NHL and then getting knocked on his rear before he can get halfway through it.

Yeah, cautious optimism is the right approach. I hope that he doesn't have a development path of something like Casey Middlestadt (8th overall), who also dominated the WJC and has really struggled to find his NHL game. He and Zegras are different style of players, but one think I really like about Zegras is his ability to make the right reads and plays. He also comes across as a very strong skater. The big question is if he can ultimately translate it to the NHL and I think he'll get a sample of that once his college season is over. Especially, if he keeps doing what he's been doing. I think people overhyped and expected way too much out of the kids this season, but Zegras with what he's shown and his draft selection should naturally have higher expectations than any of them.

Auston Matthews had a spin-o-rama pass for a goal very similar to Zegras' today just last week. Maybe he was just paying homage.

On 12/28/2019 at 10:39 AM, FanSince1993 said:

No one here ever said Ritchie would be great. No one 

How to make checks and muscle he must add. That his spinorama not works in the nhl also have some doubt. It can go to a bad injury if he goes checked while he try a spinorama...

oh man, why we not drafted Kaliyev too at 29.? They understand each other on the ice and they are friends. It would be great Getzy/Perry 2.0. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

How to make checks and muscle he must add. That his spinorama not works in the nhl also have some doubt. It can go to a bad injury if he goes checked while he try a spinorama...

oh man, why we not drafted Kaliyev too at 29.? They understand each other on the ice and they are friends. It would be great Getzy/Perry 2.0. 

i totally see that, too...part of what makes his passing work is that there is a guy at the RIGHT spot to receive it. he's got good vision, but if no ones there....it's for nothing. And it's A LOT harder to get into those good spots in the NHL...we need our current guys to be figthing harder for their space in the ice. Unless Zegras is truly a magician and can just find them. Getz has that ability.

Also, we can't forget that Z WILL be getting better...this is NOT his peak.

• Like 1