The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
HockeyIzCool

Halfway Point Of Season Has Arrived

4 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

IF that happens then I change my name to Homer Vader....Anyways whatever happens after All Star Break...Ducks need to get some good young Players to continue the Rejuvenation process of this team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Hmm. Cant of saying two different things. You say the Ducks need some good young players. Yet a few posts before you say they should get Zucker, Weaver, Armia, Ristol, and worse of all Simmonds. None of those players check off the good young players box. Simmonds is old and worthless now. Even the Devils regret signing him. Risto likely is going nowhere. Weaver and Armia are the younger players in the group but neither are anything more then 4th line filler. And Zucker isnt young either.

So which is it, vetrans you listed or trade assets to get younger players and picks. 

Quite frankly, as much as I would hate to see them go, if it meant landing a top 10 pick, I would move Rakell or Silf. Other then a 30 goal season two years ago, Rakell has regressed since signing his new contract. Everyone said last year was all Carlyle, but what about this year. He isnt exactly lights out and he's not going to get 30 goals again.

In my opinion there are only three real untouchables on this team. Getzlaf, Gibson, and Lindholm. Everyone else on the active roster can be had for the right price, and if he was willing to waive the no trade clause, I would trade Getzlaf too for the right price. Right now it's about building for the future. I hate seeing the Ducks win as then they get further ahead of those other teams. Just a few weeks ago they were second worse in the league. If that was how they finished they would pick no worse then 5. 

Also keep in mind for the draft, the worse team has yet to win the lottery since the league started drafting for the top three picks.

6 minutes ago, saskduckfan said:

Hmm. Cant of saying two different things. You say the Ducks need some good young players. Yet a few posts before you say they should get Zucker, Weaver, Armia, Ristol, and worse of all Simmonds. None of those players check off the good young players box. Simmonds is old and worthless now. Even the Devils regret signing him. Risto likely is going nowhere. Weaver and Armia are the younger players in the group but neither are anything more then 4th line filler. And Zucker isnt young either.

So which is it, vetrans you listed or trade assets to get younger players and picks. 

Quite frankly, as much as I would hate to see them go, if it meant landing a top 10 pick, I would move Rakell or Silf. Other then a 30 goal season two years ago, Rakell has regressed since signing his new contract. Everyone said last year was all Carlyle, but what about this year. He isnt exactly lights out and he's not going to get 30 goals again.

In my opinion there are only three real untouchables on this team. Getzlaf, Gibson, and Lindholm. Everyone else on the active roster can be had for the right price, and if he was willing to waive the no trade clause, I would trade Getzlaf too for the right price. Right now it's about building for the future. I hate seeing the Ducks win as then they get further ahead of those other teams. Just a few weeks ago they were second worse in the league. If that was how they finished they would pick no worse then 5. 

Also keep in mind for the draft, the worse team has yet to win the lottery since the league started drafting for the top three picks.

Just throwing out some names....there Nothing wrong with that...I see and understand your point on these Players.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

9 hours ago, saskduckfan said:

my only untouchable player is Zegras!

Steel, Jones, Comtois, Terry I don't would trade now (except the offer is too good to reject), lets wait with them, let them develop and hope something.

Getzlaf as you said, if he is willing to waive his NTC... Gibson I don't know, maybe he is already too old for a rebuild, I don't want to waste his talent, because we will have at least 4-5 years for this rebuild, we don't have not really a lot of promising players, most of all in the defense. I don't want to burn Gibson out and now he has a very high trade value. we have some young good goalies (Dostal, Erickson Ek) in the system.

3 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

Steel, Jones, Comtois, Terry I don't would trade now (except the offer is too good to reject), lets wait with them, let them develop and hope something.

Getzlaf as you said, if he is willing to waive his NTC... Gibson I don't know, maybe he is already too old for a rebuild, I don't want to waste his talent, because we will have at least 4-5 years for this rebuild, we don't have not really a lot of promising players, most of all in the defense. I don't want to burn Gibson out and now he has a very high trade value. we have some young good goalies (Dostal, Erickson Ek) in the system.

Lukas Dostal has been amazing in the Finnish Elite league. I really hope he turns into our version of Elvis Merzlikins - a Columbus Blue Jacket goalie who came out of nowhere and now has one of the best GAA and save% in the league. As fs as Gibson, he has been so-so since signing a huge contract.

• Like 1

Just sayin':  At the half-way point of this season, my wife is very happy.  She gets a lot more attention from me because I'm not watching the Ducks much.  Certainly not whole games.  I tune in to see the trend, then I'm gone after a bit.   Not to say that at times they are not entertaining, because they sometimes are.  But it just isn't a serious season for them.  Everything Ducks is like the beginning of a good soup - it just needs time.  Maybe late in the season we will see more flashes of what can be expected next season and further on.  Or not. 

I think Getzlaf will retire as a Duck.  I think it's more important to him to not have to leave his family to play elsewhere, even if it affords him the chance at another Cup.

Gibson's value will never be higher than it is right now.  Clearly he's one of our best options to get something valuable in return.  But he's also the one thing that is keeping the Ducks from an even worse place in the standings.  He's wasting a promising career by continuing to play here though.  If winning is important to him, he should be willing to accept a trade.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I think Getzlaf will retire as a Duck.  I think it's more important to him to not have to leave his family to play elsewhere, even if it affords him the chance at another Cup.

Gibson's value will never be higher than it is right now.  Clearly he's one of our best options to get something valuable in return.  But he's also the one thing that is keeping the Ducks from an even worse place in the standings.  He's wasting a promising career by continuing to play here though.  If winning is important to him, he should be willing to accept a trade.

Getzlaf Retired as Duck? We will see...IF He decides to go elsewhere to pursue another Stanley Cup I am sure he will do it with Pears. Wasting you say? I disagree if he wanted a Trade he needs to say it publicly and tell Management.

DuckPride 4ever

45 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

What are you talking about? 

2 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Teams move in cycles and he is signed long term. This team was literally in the Western Conference finals less than 3 years ago.

Hopefully in a few years they will be good again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nieder said:

Teams move in cycles and he is signed long term. This team was literally in the Western Conference finals less than 3 years ago.

Hopefully in a few years they will be good again.

Being signed long term does not mean he can't/won't be traded.  In fact, it may help his trade value, since the acquiring team knows they have him locked down, and under the terms he is.

This team is not the team that was literally in the WCF less than 3 years ago.  Look at the roster.

11 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

According to Capfriendly, Gibson does not have a no trade or no move clause in his contract, so he wouldn’t have to “accept” anything if our GM wanted to move him. That said, I don’t think he should be moved as long as he wants to be here. But if doesn’t really want to be here due to the re-tool, by all means trade him. He would definitely bring back a significant piece or pieces.

17 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Being signed long term does not mean he can't/won't be traded.  In fact, it may help his trade value, since the acquiring team knows they have him locked down, and under the terms he is.

This team is not the team that was literally in the WCF less than 3 years ago.  Look at the roster.

I never said it was the same team. I said teams move in cycles. We are rebuilding right now but hopefully things won't always be this dire. 

Maybe he wants to win, but also wants to stay where he is, and believes the team will be good again in a few years.

On 1/22/2020 at 4:59 PM, nieder said:

I never said it was the same team. I said teams move in cycles. We are rebuilding right now but hopefully things won't always be this dire. 

Maybe he wants to win, but also wants to stay where he is, and believes the team will be good again in a few years.

Who knows only one that will decide Getzlaf's Tenure with the Ducks is Getz himself.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Who knows only one that will decide Getzlaf's Tenure with the Ducks is Getz himself.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I agree. He said it himself that he has always wanted to be a “ one team guy. “  Getz isn’t going anywhere. He’s always been an essential piece for this franchise, and will continue to be as a mentor and captain to the young guys throughout this transition. 

On 1/21/2020 at 5:27 PM, HockeyIzCool said:

But he's also the one thing that is keeping the Ducks from an even worse place in the standings

thats exactly the issue. he made us better then we are and slow down the rebuilding process. last year we were last without him and would draft at least a top 5 pick, this season too a top 5 (30th)...

On 1/22/2020 at 9:59 PM, nieder said:

We are rebuilding right now

and thats the next issue, I don't see a real rebuilding move exept the Montour trade and this maybe was also only because off ice issues.

let some young players play a half season and then put them in the AHL isn't a real rebuild to me. you must also trade some older pieces away…. I hope in the next couple of weeks it will takes some trades for this...

5 hours ago, yeaitsme said:

Getz isn’t going anywhere

do you believed a season ago that Perry goes away? Getz lost his friend and he knows, that in the next 3-4 seasons we aren't a cup contender or even a playoff contender. 

do you believed a season ago that Perry goes away? Getz lost his friend and he knows, that in the next 3-4 seasons we aren't a cup contender or even a playoff contender. 

Yes, firmly believed that Perry was going to be gone if he could not or would not improve his mobility and scoring chances.  It might have been a retirement, that was my thinking.  But his play was abysmal due to the beating that the NHL and refs allowed him to take night after night.

Getz is a completely different story.  It is difficult to believe that you don't see that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

thats exactly the issue. he made us better then we are and slow down the rebuilding process. last year we were last without him and would draft at least a top 5 pick, this season too a top 5 (30th)...

and thats the next issue, I don't see a real rebuilding move exept the Montour trade and this maybe was also only because off ice issues.

let some young players play a half season and then put them in the AHL isn't a real rebuild to me. you must also trade some older pieces away…. I hope in the next couple of weeks it will takes some trades for this...

Getz isn't going anywhere. The only guys I see moving are MDZ, Shore, Miller, and maybe Grantzlaf (though I'd really like to see him re-signed). I think that no GMs are going to want to pay the price at the trade deadline that GMBM will want for one of the vets that are signed long-term. If a vet with term left on his contract gets moved, it will most likely be at the draft.

IMO, the one interesting player we have to use as trade bait at the TDL is Miller. He didn't want to move last season at the TDL, but this is for sure his last NHL season and I would bet that he'd be willing to give it a go one last time with a contender. I think the return for Miller would be something like a 2nd round pick, but I also wonder if he could be used as part of a package to get a good young player back. Like Kapanen from Toronto. The Leafs are desperate for a second goaltender (Hutchinson has been an unmitigated disaster with his .885 save % and 3.83 GAA) and could really use a Ryan Miller to take some pressure off Anderson, who has also been slumping a bit lately (likely due to being overworked early in the season). Maybe we could get Kapanen for something like Miller + Sprong + our 2nd rounder in this coming draft.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 8:41 AM, Spike1981 said:

John Gibson is OLD? did not 26 years of age is new over the Hill. As for holding onto the youth for the Ducks only time they trade IF as you say right offer comes around.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

John Gibson is OLD? did not 26 years of age is new over the Hill. As for holding onto the youth for the Ducks only time they trade IF as you say right offer comes around.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Goalies usually don’t hit their prime until around 26-28 imo. So yes, he’s isn’t old by anyone’s standards

It's probably been discussed here but I just realized the Ducks have no all-star representative. On the one hand I always thought the league needed to get rid of that participation medal aspect of the ASG and leave the spots to those who've earned it. On the other hand, the Ducks are the only team being left out entirely and that's a little ridiculous when every other crappy team is still sending someone who shouldn't be there. At the end of the day it doesn't matter at all and I'm sure our players couldn't care less but still, I can't help but feel like it's another subtle act in a long list of disrespect towards our team from this league. 

Edited by PetrSykora

16 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

It's probably been discussed here but I just realized the Ducks have no all-star representative. On the one hand I always thought the league needed to get rid of that participation medal aspect of the ASG and leave the spots to those who've earned it. On the other hand, the Ducks are the only team being left out entirely and that's a little ridiculous when every other crappy team is still sending someone who shouldn't be there. At the end of the day it doesn't matter at all and I'm sure our players couldn't care less but still, I can't help but feel like it's another subtle act in a long list of disrespect towards our team from this league. 

Silfverberg declined to go because he was expecting a child. Arizona also doesn't have anyone I believe. I didn't notice anyone else. But meh. Who really cares?

2 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Silfverberg declined to go because he was expecting a child. Arizona also doesn't have anyone I believe. I didn't notice anyone else. But meh. Who really cares?

I guess you like some are indifferent to this event...I always feel the need for ASG to have every team represent at the game including our Ducks.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Arizona has Tocchet coaching the Pacific. I knew about Silfverberg opting out but I just assumed they'd replace him with another Duck. It's just weird to see a team excluded entirely from it when the league has a history of forcing players from the most undeserving teams to attend simply so everyone is represented. It's a pretty on-brand move by the league considering the cards the Ducks are always dealt. I'll take this over that insane penalty discrepancy we've had since the Pronger days every time though. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Arizona has Tocchet coaching the Pacific. I knew about Silfverberg opting out but I just assumed they'd replace him with another Duck. It's just weird to see a team excluded entirely from it when the league has a history of forcing players from the most undeserving teams to attend simply so everyone is represented. It's a pretty on-brand move by the league considering the cards the Ducks are always dealt. I'll take this over that insane penalty discrepancy we've had since the Pronger days every time though. 

it's super weird there was no Ducks to represent...and I don't know why the league would do that (as the actual point of having every team represented is not a participation trophy, but an attempt to get more viewership and money from the event). you would think with Slif opting out legally they would have asked for another Duck...i mean, it basically meant an entire fanbase wasn't going to watch and had very little chance of watching.

not that i did much any way....ever since they've been taken out of the Olympics I have no interest in supporting the ASG in any way

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

it's super weird there was no Ducks to represent...and I don't know why the league would do that (as the actual point of having every team represented is not a participation trophy, but an attempt to get more viewership and money from the event). you would think with Slif opting out legally they would have asked for another Duck...i mean, it basically meant an entire fanbase wasn't going to watch and had very little chance of watching.

not that i did much any way....ever since they've been taken out of the Olympics I have no interest in supporting the ASG in any way

Well.....IF Sport of Hockey and NHL wants to move forward...I would not mind if ASG is disbanded done and over with....Just Saying.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

After seeing the list of NHL points leaders and noting how young some of them are (e.g. Petterson with over a PPG at age 21, Paternak with insane production at age 23) I want to see the Ducks’ young forwards start to produce in the 2nd half.

Terry, Steel, Comtois, Ritchie, Kase, and Sprong are all below their scoring pace from last season and Jones is has about the same anemic pace.  I don’t want to hear excuses about how young they are and that we need to be patient.  There are plenty of other young players producing and it’s supposed to be a young man’s game now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

After seeing the list of NHL points leaders and noting how young some of them are (e.g. Petterson with over a PPG at age 21, Paternak with insane production at age 23) I want to see the Ducks’ young forwards start to produce in the 2nd half.

Terry, Steel, Comtois, Ritchie, Kase, and Sprong are all below their scoring pace from last season and Jones is has about the same anemic pace.  I don’t want to hear excuses about how young they are and that we need to be patient.  There are plenty of other young players producing and it’s supposed to be a young man’s game now.

But they are young and patience is needed lol. Pettersson was the 5th overall pick in the draft, so him being as good as he is seems to warrant where he was selected. Pastrnak was an absolute grand slam at 26th overall but also has the benefit of playing along one the best centers and wingers in all of hockey, not to mention one of the best teams in general. He also didn't burst onto the scene until his 3rd pro season. 

We all want the young guys to start producing, but there really shouldn't be any pressure or high expectation for them to at this point. All of these guys were projected to be middle-six players and still have time to be decent NHLers. Also, the team wasn't projected to be good and that has certainly been case so far, which is why rumors of the Ducks potentially tearing down their roster are floating around.

what bombay said.  the young players you're referring to aren't in even close apples to apples circumstances.

y'all need to chill.  we aren't going to trade up to a Matthews or similar because you want it real bad.

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

But they are young and patience is needed lol. Pettersson was the 5th overall pick in the draft, so him being as good as he is seems to warrant where he was selected. Pastrnak was an absolute grand slam at 26th overall but also has the benefit of playing along one the best centers and wingers in all of hockey, not to mention one of the best teams in general. He also didn't burst onto the scene until his 3rd pro season. 

We all want the young guys to start producing, but there really shouldn't be any pressure or high expectation for them to at this point. All of these guys were projected to be middle-six players and still have time to be decent NHLers. Also, the team wasn't projected to be good and that has certainly been case so far, which is why rumors of the Ducks potentially tearing down their roster are floating around.

Pastrnak was only 20 years old in his 3rd pro season when he put up 70 points in 75 games.  In his 2nd season at age 19 he had over a half a point per game.

I don’t want a trade for a great player nor do I expect any of the group of Ducks I mentioned to have production as good as Pastrnak did at the same age.  But NONE of them are even scoring at a half a point per game, and this is my biggest disappointment this season.  If ALL of these guys turn out to be mediocre, we are in for a very loooong rebuild.

Edited by CAsFirstCup