The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
dtsdlaw

Kes and Juice Podcast

Anyone else subscribing to this podcast? Even though they’re (so far) mostly reminiscing about their Vancouver days and Kesler’s IIHF world championships experience, they’ve had quite a few interesting nuggets about their time in Anaheim- like how Kesler thought it was such a terrible decision to trade Cogs and how real his hatred for Johansen was over the last couple of seasons. They have also had some interesting comments on various coaches they have played for (such as Torts and Crawford). I also really liked the most recent episode with Bonino as a guest. Interesting dynamic with Bones having been traded for Kes and then becoming buddies with Bieksa in Vancouver.

If you’re not listening, I recommend giving it a try. And if you’re already listening, I’m curious if there’s anything you found particularly interesting.

Edited by dtsdlaw

37 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Anyone else subscribing to this podcast? Even though they’re (so far) mostly reminiscing about their Vancouver days and Kesler’s IIHF world championships experience, they’ve had quite a few interesting nuggets about their time in Anaheim- like how Kesler thought it was such a terrible decision to trade Cogs and how real his hatred for Johansen was over the last couple of seasons. They have also had some interesting comments on various coaches they have played for (such as Torts and Crawford). I also really liked the most recent episode with Bonino as a guest. Interesting dynamic with Bones having been traded for Kes and then becoming buddies with Bieksa in Vancouver.

If you’re not listening, I recommend giving it a try. And if you’re already listening, I’m curious if there’s anything you found particularly interesting.

Thanks for the reminder. I actually forgot that they had a podcast, so I'll have to give it a listen. 

On a side note, I was listening to the Spittin' Chiclets podcast and they had Brian Burke on, who naturally talked about his time as the Ducks GM. He's a great interview and one of the biggest surprises was the reason why he sent Getzlaf and Perry to the AHL in their first pro seasons. It was not because of their play but rather he didn't want them being around Sergei Federov, who he said had checked out on winning hockey games in Anaheim. He felt it would be detrimental for them to learn and develop with a guy like him in the locker room. So, he traded him to Columbus (we got Beauchemin!) and then he brought the Twins back up and the rest is history.

I really hope that there are is no Federov in the Ducks locker room now lol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Thanks for the reminder. I actually forgot that they had a podcast, so I'll have to give it a listen. 

On a side note, I was listening to the Spittin' Chiclets podcast and they had Brian Burke on, who naturally talked about his time as the Ducks GM. He's a great interview and one of the biggest surprises was the reason why he sent Getzlaf and Perry to the AHL in their first pro seasons. It was not because of their play but rather he didn't want them being around Sergei Federov, who he said had checked out on winning hockey games in Anaheim. He felt it would be detrimental for them to learn and develop with a guy like him in the locker room. So, he traded him to Columbus (we got Beauchemin!) and then he brought the Twins back up and the rest is history.

I really hope that there are is no Federov in the Ducks locker room now lol

Doesn’t seem like it, but I’m sure that’s why GMBM kept most of the kids down last year during the end days of the Carlyle tenure, when clearly almost everyone had checked out.

I thought it was interesting how they mentioned cogs and what a really good guy he was. I think even bieksa mentioned that you need guys like that on your team. Also said he was funny. They had bonino on as well. 

I thought it was also very interesting how they mentioned the difference between playing in Canada and in Anaheim. 

58 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

I thought it was interesting how they mentioned cogs and what a really good guy he was. I think even bieksa mentioned that you need guys like that on your team. Also said he was funny. They had bonino on as well. 

I thought it was also very interesting how they mentioned the difference between playing in Canada and in Anaheim. 

Yeah, I listened to the episode and it makes sense that playing in Anaheim is way different than playing in a major hockey market, let alone Toronto. One thing that stood out was Kesler saying that he played with an arthritic hip for 3 years. To me, that sounds like it wasn't a particular injury but that it was a chronic issue that he has been dealing with. If that's the case, I'm surprised that it wasn't detected earlier. 

Bieksa definitely seems like the play driver of the podcast. Sounds like they partied a lot when they were in Vancouver also lol

Also, they mentioned injuries and how certain GMs were more willing for the player to rehab longer. They both mentioned Vancouver being more patient and didn't comment on Anaheim. That to me seemed like a jab of sorts at our GM. They only played for two organizations. Could that be the reason why our injury lists are also pretty long? They made it seem like some organizations they played for kind of rushed the players back... idk about you guys but that seemed like a pretty clear statement they weren't too high on our GM. Though to be fair Kesler also said he wanted to come back as soon as possible because the mental side of the injury gets to you and he wanted to be with the team. Anyway, I think it's very interesting what topics they cover. It seems different than any other podcast or YouTube channel in content. It kind of gives you a better inside view of the mind of a hockey player, what goes on inside the dressing room and other off ice stuff that they go through. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Also, they mentioned injuries and how certain GMs were more willing for the player to rehab longer. They both mentioned Vancouver being more patient and didn't comment on Anaheim. That to me seemed like a jab of sorts at our GM. They only played for two organizations. Could that be the reason why our injury lists are also pretty long? They made it seem like some organizations they played for kind of rushed the players back... idk about you guys but that seemed like a pretty clear statement they weren't too high on our GM. Though to be fair Kesler also said he wanted to come back as soon as possible because the mental side of the injury gets to you and he wanted to be with the team. Anyway, I think it's very interesting what topics they cover. It seems different than any other podcast or YouTube channel in content. It kind of gives you a better inside view of the mind of a hockey player, what goes on inside the dressing room and other off ice stuff that they go through. 

Those two don't seem like my cup of tea, so I'm not sure I'll ever listen.  But I wonder how much Kesler, specifically, can get into.  He's still employed by the Ducks and is a member of the player's union.  I have to imagine he has to be very careful about what he says about his times with the Ducks, to keep him out of trouble with his organization and to avoid any scorn from current teammates.

dammit.  i don't want another podcast to listen to.  you guys suck for making me want to listen to it.

if it turns out to be two monotones talking for an hour at a time (post game interview-style common with hockey players), it's not going to last long in my rotation, regardless of the info they're dropping.

5 hours ago, Fisix said:

dammit.  i don't want another podcast to listen to.  you guys suck for making me want to listen to it.

if it turns out to be two monotones talking for an hour at a time (post game interview-style common with hockey players), it's not going to last long in my rotation, regardless of the info they're dropping.

It's Ryan Kesler, so of course its going to be monotone. The interviews have been good though. I don't hate Burrows quite as much after listening to him (he's pretty funny), and Eaves and Bonino were both interesting guys to listen to. Eaves' story about adopting the child from China is great too. What a really great person he seems to be. Makes me even more sad about the way his career has come to an end.

6 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Those two don't seem like my cup of tea, so I'm not sure I'll ever listen.  But I wonder how much Kesler, specifically, can get into.  He's still employed by the Ducks and is a member of the player's union.  I have to imagine he has to be very careful about what he says about his times with the Ducks, to keep him out of trouble with his organization and to avoid any scorn from current teammates.

I do think he is speaking a lot more candidly than what you would expect from a guy still under contract to an NHL team, but still maybe not as candid about the Ducks as he would be if he was fully retired. He was definitely pretty honest about how the Cogs trade hurt the Ducks locker room though. They also talked about MacKinnon's public comments that he would take less money on his next contract to field a better team and they added the context of how the player's union would react to those comments, and it didn't seem like either guy was pulling his punches when discussing the union.

• Like 1

&^$&^.

just listened to the first episode... and it's great.  beer farts and all.

interesting that they voiced concern over kids lines, but i'm still ok with what we're doing with our player development.  

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

&^$&^.

just listened to the first episode... and it's great.  beer farts and all.

interesting that they voiced concern over kids lines, but i'm still ok with what we're doing with our player development.  

Kesler basically stated that he thinks young players should start on the 4th line with a strong veteran presence on their line so that they can learn to play the game "the right way", which for him means a 200-foot game that doesn't take shifts off. That was his experience with Trevor Linden playing his wing on the 4th line in Vancouver when he first came into the NHL. There's obviously more than one way to do it, but there's something to be said for that approach. Getzlaf and Pears also started on the 4th line when they first came up, didn't they? 

Edited by dtsdlaw

Not sure. 

While listening to K+J, I kept thinking about Grant centering the kids line, but Grant is just so much better for us while with the Grant line, as it is, that I don't want to give him up for the kids.  Getz has been the veteran presence for TT and sometimes a Max here and there, and i think a steel now and again.  other than that, i'm not sure who we'd have as their veteran presence... nick?  no.  hank?  maybe, but he's struggling to bring his game up too.  maybe RR, but I think we want Silf, RR, Hank, to be together or mixed in with Getz for our top two lines.  I don't think the AHLers (non-rooks) fit the description.  FrenchyD could teach them stuff, but probably not what we want them focusing on.  

If circumstances were different, Kes would be absolutely perfect, or maybe Perry (if he deigned to put himself in that position).  We don't really have the manpower or right distribution of veteran talent to do what Kes and Juice want right now.  And, I think Eakins is doing his best to foster a similar environment and generate as effective a development.  He certainly doesn't seem shy about rolling them into one of the other lines when they seem ready.

24 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Not sure. 

While listening to K+J, I kept thinking about Grant centering the kids line, but Grant is just so much better for us while with the Grant line, as it is, that I don't want to give him up for the kids.  Getz has been the veteran presence for TT and sometimes a Max here and there, and i think a steel now and again.  other than that, i'm not sure who we'd have as their veteran presence... nick?  no.  hank?  maybe, but he's struggling to bring his game up too.  maybe RR, but I think we want Silf, RR, Hank, to be together or mixed in with Getz for our top two lines.  I don't think the AHLers (non-rooks) fit the description.  FrenchyD could teach them stuff, but probably not what we want them focusing on.  

If circumstances were different, Kes would be absolutely perfect, or maybe Perry (if he deigned to put himself in that position).  We don't really have the manpower or right distribution of veteran talent to do what Kes and Juice want right now.  And, I think Eakins is doing his best to foster a similar environment and generate as effective a development.  He certainly doesn't seem shy about rolling them into one of the other lines when they seem ready.

That's just it. We don't have the veteran presence to really go that route because there are SO many young players in the lineup. Usually a team will break in kids 1 or 2 at a time, not six at a time. Pittsburgh and Chicago pulled it off in the mid-2000s (albeit with far more talented young players), but what the Ducks are currently trying to do with the kids' development is atypical for a successful team. It's more like what we've seen from the Edmontons, Buffalos and Floridas of the NHL. 

Edited by dtsdlaw

Interesting note from the beginning of Episode 6.... Kesler says he's on schedule to start skating soon. Don't know if that means just recreational skating for fun with his kids or actual hockey training. They also had Bernier on as the guest and they talk a little about the Cup run in 2017, which was interesting. Overall not the best episode I've listened to though.

• Like 2

For those of you into these hockey-related podcasts, I HIGHLY recommend the recent Ray & Dregs podcast (Ray Ferraro & Darren Dreger) that had Eddie Olczyk on it. Amazing interview with Edzo. Razor also has some great thoughts on the Kassian-Tkachuk situation. It's a long episode, but totally worth the listen.

22 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

For those of you into these hockey-related podcasts, I HIGHLY recommend the recent Ray & Dregs podcast (Ray Ferraro & Darren Dreger) that had Eddie Olczyk on it. Amazing interview with Edzo. Razor also has some great thoughts on the Kassian-Tkachuk situation. It's a long episode, but totally worth the listen.

so.... after listening, not my thing.  i think it's because i don't have a connection to any of the podcasters or their interviewee... and their opinions were pretty milquetoast.  i think there's an age difference thing going on, and i think it's at least a bit HOW they talk about stuff (as opposed to what they talk about) - they repeat stuff a lot, and it grinds for me.  i engage more with what Bieksa and Kes talk about, and i enjoy their patter more.  clearly, a personal preference.

that isn't saying i'm not intrigued to hear their interview with Torts.  i may fast forward to that section if i grab that episode.  

aside from that, i think i'll stick with Dangle (short bursts of fun) and Juice & Kes, and the aftergame radio broadcasts.

• Like 1