The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
LagunaDuck

Ducks fan base more along the coast

The Ducks have played all their games in 1 building in Anaheim. About 30 minutes south is Newport Beach, another 12 is Laguna Beach. The Ducks have built a new home for offices/practice facility in Irvine. Now I live in Laguna and know so many Ducks fans that go to 5-6 games a season and know many in Newport-Irvine are big Ducks fans. 

My question is with the underdeveloped and under-served fan base and hockey programs in the Laguna/Newport/Irvine area should the Ducks relocate the franchise closer and would it work better to build up the fan base closer to the beach towns than in Anaheim?

Hockey has grown very well in the Los Angeles area but I feel that the entire Laguna Beach and other coast towns where $$ is strong and facility developments shouldn't be a problem that the Ducks could have benefited greatly over the last 20 years if they went hardcore in these areas instead of the Anaheim central and surrounding areas.

Thoughts!

Or they could move closer to San Diego where the only professional sports team is the San Diego Padres. You’re looking at an area that has 2 baseball teams, 2 basketball teams, 2 soccer teams and 2 football teams. The Gulls have a great following in a professional sports deprived city.

Edited by DuckFan4Life
  • Like 1

This will never happen. But to play along, Ducks have a lot of fans in the Inland Empire that come to the games. They're not driving to south County.

• Like 3

On 2/1/2020 at 8:39 AM, dukitup said:

This will never happen. But to play along, Ducks have a lot of fans in the Inland Empire that come to the games. They're not driving to south County.

That was my first impression.  Seems like a LOT of IE folks come in for Ducks games.  The money people seem to be the ones showing up dressed as sold, yet unfilled, seats.

\

On 1/28/2020 at 2:44 PM, LagunaDuck said:

The Ducks have played all their games in 1 building in Anaheim. About 30 minutes south is Newport Beach, another 12 is Laguna Beach. The Ducks have built a new home for offices/practice facility in Irvine. Now I live in Laguna and know so many Ducks fans that go to 5-6 games a season and know many in Newport-Irvine are big Ducks fans. 

My question is with the underdeveloped and under-served fan base and hockey programs in the Laguna/Newport/Irvine area should the Ducks relocate the franchise closer and would it work better to build up the fan base closer to the beach towns than in Anaheim?

Hockey has grown very well in the Los Angeles area but I feel that the entire Laguna Beach and other coast towns where $$ is strong and facility developments shouldn't be a problem that the Ducks could have benefited greatly over the last 20 years if they went hardcore in these areas instead of the Anaheim central and surrounding areas.

Land down there is relatively expensive, particularly right now, but really any time.  They'd never get a deal worth relocating further south (unless they moved to san diego).  The population between Tustin and San Diego really isn't that much compared to stuff north and east (through the 91).  

Could someone do well with a decent ice rink closer to san juan capistrano?  probably..., but that's about it.