The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

NHL Entry Draft Targets

8 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Murray got his bigger forward, so he gets his bigger d-man now: Ian Moore.  Like any guys still left, I have no idea about this kid.  But welcome to the Ducks!

Good point. I mean, when you put it like that we should have known it would be Moore lol

10 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Guschin, Foudy, Zybeck, Knazko, Poirier all available and you pick Moore

Alexander Nikishin...

5 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

And as of this post, they're all STILL available.  Maybe the NHL scouts are smarter than we are?

Sure, but let’s not act like Scouts also don’t draft solely who’s y’all way to often 

i liked the capfriendly draft page yesterday.  the NHL one sucks.

ah, i think i found the right page to see today's picks.

Edited by Fisix

wow, so Tampa Bay traded up to take a shot with Jack Finley - 6'6" CENTER at 213lbs from the WHL.

and then, right after, Boston took a 6'4" 195lb D.

6'6" is rather tall.

also - is it me, or is Toronto super, super passive this draft.  like, almost criminally passive.  they must think they have plenty of prospects, because they've passed on a few that would shore up their abysmal defense before their top lines retire.

DAEMON HUNT is a pretty wild name.

JEAN-LUC FOUDY just feels like he might be a big player down the road.

Edited by Fisix

Just now, Fisix said:

wow, so Tampa Bay traded up to take a shot with Jack Finley - 6'6" CENTER at 213lbs from the WHL.

and then, right after, Boston took a 6'4" 195lb D.

6'6" is rather tall.

also - is it me, or is Toronto super, super passive this draft.  like, almost criminally passive.  they must think they have plenty of prosepects, because they've passed on a few that would shore up their abysmal defense before their top lines retire.

DAEMON HUNT is a pretty wild name.

JEAN-LUC FOUDY just feels like he might be a big player down the road.

Foudy is insane, a lot of his advanced offensive stats are similar to Rossi and he played on a much worse team. 

1 minute ago, Fisix said:

Toronto super, super passive this draft. 

yes, I don't know what they make... they have needs defensive wise and salary cap wise.

1 minute ago, Spike1981 said:

Alex Laferriere lol

haha I feel like the Rangers really missed an opporutnity here.....lol or like Detroit :P 

20 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Sharks continue to take great players we pass on 

Being that there's 8-10 equal players down in this range, this will continue to be perceived regardless of who we take.  It's like the old "people die in threes" myth.  You can make it look like whatever you want.  Every team within 10 +/- of our pick will get someone that someone else had high on their boards.  

This is where risks pop up more.  And if he sticks to the script, instead, we'll go back o Murray being criticized for being predictable as was the tone last night.

We're so self-flaggalant around here... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

And as of this post, they're all STILL available.  Maybe the NHL scouts are smarter than we are?

I do think being fans during the draft is a weird phenomenon.  It's like cheering or booing for someone who is sitting at a table and rolling a die without being able to read what the die says.

"Oooh, look at that roll.  He rolled that with confidence.  It's settling down, and...it looks like a 3?  Maybe a 5?  I can't tell, but I'm very impressed."

"I don't know, Bob, I think he could have rolled a different die and gotten a different result.  There were bigger dice available to roll."

I know that there's a bit more to it than that, and I think it's valid to criticize the teams who went way off the board or who clearly had a sub-optimal draft strategy that didn't leave any room for adjustment ("We're only drafting big centers!").  But otherwise, all we can do is hope that our team did its homework and that the homework turns out to be right.  Once you get past the second round, it really is a total crapshoot.  You're going to have a couple guys turn into stars, a few more who are NHL regulars, and the rest are going to flame out.  If anyone really knew which was which, they would have been picked in the second round.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Being that there's 8-10 equal players down in this range, this will continue to be perceived regardless of who we take.  It's like the old "people die in threes" myth.  You can make it look like whatever you want.  Every team within 10 +/- of our pick will get someone that someone else had high on their boards.  

This is where risks pop up more.  And if he sticks to the script, instead, we'll go back o Murray being criticized for being predictable as was the tone last night.

We're so self-flaggalant around here... 🤷‍♂️

Or maybe I just have opinions of players and think they fit in well. I swear some of you people act so high and mighty about nothing, it’s a board and we’re talking about the draft, could I be wrong? Of course. It’s just a conversation my man

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Or maybe I just have opinions of players and think they fit in well. I swear some of you people act so high and mighty about nothing, it’s a board and we’re talking about the draft, could I be wrong? Of course. It’s just a conversation my man

To be fair, you're being rather...passionate...about the guys you like.  Which is fine, but there's a difference between "I love Foudy and everything I've seen and read about him indicate he's going to be really good.  He seems like good value here." and "The Ducks are huge morons for not picking Foudy."  The former is conversational and the latter is yelling at anyone who disagrees with you.

The truth is that: 1) a lot of teams passed on Foudy and 2) we have no idea at this point how good he's going to be.  You seem very knowledgeable about prospects, and I, a relative prospect ignoramus, am glad for your input.  But I do think it's over the top to say you "cannot believe we passed on him" about a guy in the third round.  At this point, EVERY team has passed on him at least once, which means no one can be sure he's going to be good. 

Please continue to educate us about these less known prospects, while maybe toning down the criticism to a reasonable level?  It just gets peoples' hackles up.

• Like 3

I’m not gonna act like an expert, Moore can easily become a Top 4 D man and Murray will look like a genius. 

I just personally value that offensive upside for the team. I was high on guys like Wiesblatt and Guschin. I think the Ducks are struggling because they haven’t taken riskier offensive minded guys. I’m happy with our Draft so far. I just look at SJ and how they lost 5th overall and how good of a draft they still had. 

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

To be fair, you're being rather...passionate...about the guys you like.  Which is fine, but there's a difference between "I love Foudy and everything I've seen and read about him indicate he's going to be really good.  He seems like good value here." and "The Ducks are huge morons for not picking Foudy."  The former is conversational and the latter is yelling at anyone who disagrees with you.

The truth is that: 1) a lot of teams passed on Foudy and 2) we have no idea at this point how good he's going to be.  You seem very knowledgeable about prospects, and I, a relative prospect ignoramus, am glad for your input.  But I do think it's over the top to say you "cannot believe we passed on him" about a guy in the third round.  At this point, EVERY team has passed on him at least once, which means no one can be sure he's going to be good. 

Please continue to educate us about these less known prospects, while maybe toning down the criticism to a reasonable level?  It just gets peoples' hackles up.

I’m genuinely sorry if I come off that way. I don’t mean we’re idiots for not drafting prospect A or B, I mean it more as, damn I really wanted that guy and the guy we took was less than desirable. 
I suppose my frustration is watching the King’s masterfully navigate their rebuild and watch us barely putting together a core and still not taking chances. 
Imo, I don’t care that a guy slips to the 3rd round, eventually you gotta take the guy, and the difference could be someone like Brayden Point. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Then maybe present your opinions mor eas opinions and not as high and mighty as you do.

It's hilarious you chose that term since it's exactly how I read your statements that are made in such an absolute way.  You don't leave room to be wrong.  You just say Murray's wrong, you're right, and other teams are benefitting.  i don't know what can be more high and mighty than that.  

I wonder how much the D-loading is based on the expansion draft and/or the age of some of our D-men.  Not that they're ancient, but I think the average age of our starting D core is older with fewer backfill than the forward core.

Interesting the types of things that can drive the decisions.

1 minute ago, gotchabari said:

Then maybe present your opinions mor eas opinions and not as high and mighty as you do.

It's hilarious you chose that term since it's exactly how I read your statements that are made in such an absolute way.  You don't leave room to be wrong.  You just say Murray's wrong, you're right, and other teams are benefitting.  i don't know what can be more high and mighty than that.  

How? By disagreeing with a pick? We all say the exact same thing about every aspect of hockey, it’s literally being a fan. Every time a GM makes a trade, we sit around and go “yes that’s great” or “mmm I dont like that move”

I just say, wow we took Moore when these guys are available and when a rival takes a guy I was high on I voice that a rival took a guy I was high on. 
what’s the point of watching of sitting around in a board just going “well Murray is smarter than me” to every single decision. I could very well be very wrong about every choice I would have made, but Foudy can also be a 50 pt guy and Moore never sees the NHL. That’s all part of the discussion. 
It’s a board and I’m reacting to things in the moment, I’m not going to write up a detailed thesis in every pick, so naturally my reaction is “Moore over this giy? Really??” 

5 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

I wonder how much the D-loading is based on the expansion draft and/or the age of some of our D-men.  Not that they're ancient, but I think the average age of our starting D core is older with fewer backfill than the forward core.

Interesting the types of things that can drive the decisions.

Probably a little bit of that and a little bit that we don’t really have any notable D prospects that aren’t already close. 
Thrun and LaCombe are the only ones that come to mine, maybe Drew

Some very interesting posts here - the draft always brings out the critic in all of us...

I had a question maybe someone can answer - looking at the draft(s) - it seems that the ducks draft defensemen - 3 of the 5 picks were such.  Who will put the puck actually, in the net?  Murray was a defenseman so I guess that's how he sees things.

Can anyone shed any light as to where the offense is going to come from?

I hope everyone is safe and well.