The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

NHL Entry Draft Targets

Just now, Sexlaf15 said:

Moore isn’t really two-way currently he’s much more offensive minded. He can learn anything. One moment can change these kids for better or worse, a new coach, an injury anything really. Two way players are great to have, but the Ducks are comprised of two many of these guys imo. We need dynamic offensive players and guys like Foudy are what we need. 

I agree we go for too many of that type.  The Perrault pick was that upside pick you were looking for.  I'm still kind of stunned we got that pick for a guy that gets hurt a lot.  And I loved Kase before he got hurt.  Colangelo looks like a really good pick also at 36.   And maybe that's why they took Drysdale first.  Cuz they knew two high potential players would be there.

Losers

21. San Jose Sharks

Pick: 31. Ozzy Wiesblatt
My ranking: No. 52 (change: +21)

Wiesblatt’s a blend of old and new. He can play a hard, engaged style that complements high-end talent and makes him look bigger than he is. But he can also make high-skill plays, he’s not afraid to try things, and his o-zone skill developed aggressively last season. My lower ranking here is driven primarily by the fact that I’m not convinced that o-zone skill will translate up levels against bigger, faster, stronger, smarter defenders. Wiesblatt’s a good prospect and a wonderful kid, but he could end up as more of a role player if he doesn’t develop any one of his skills from B-level to A-level.

22. St. Louis Blues

Pick: 26. Jake Neighbours
My ranking: No. 51 (change: +25)

I like the way Jake Neighbours plays. He can do a little bit of everything. He comes at you in waves in an effort to push pace, attack, and win races. He’s physical off the puck. There’s just a versatility to his game that’s easy to appreciate and convinced many scouts that he didn’t have the top-six or bust that some first rounders often do. I settled a little lower on him than most, though, largely because I worry that his above-average skill across the board may not be enough to slot him in the top of your lineup. He could end up as a fan-favourite third-line contributor. And while that would be a good outcome for a 26th-overall selection, there were higher-skill players available. Several of them.

23. Colorado Avalanche

Pick: 25. Justin Barron
My ranking: No. 46 (change: +21)

Barron, once discussed in the same conversations as Jamie Drysdale, has been through a lot in the last year as he and his team have tried to get a blood clot issue under control. After undergoing a procedure a couple of weeks ago to correct it, he became a bit of a wild card in the draft. The worry is that he’s lost valuable development time, he’s a little on the older side, and he didn’t take the steps that came with some of the early hype about his potential. That kept him further down my board and meant he’s not a player I would have considered in the first round. There are a ton of tools to work with there, though, and the gamble the Avalanche are taking is on the maturity of his defensive game and an offensive game that, surely, they hope can take a step with more consistent reps. Barron’s a big, strong, Hockey Canada darling with four-way mobility for his size and a heady approach to moving the puck. Scouts praise his efficiency. I think there was more talent on the board, though.

24. Buffalo Sabres

Pick: 8. Jack Quinn
My ranking: No. 15 (change: +7)

Though I didn’t love the Senators taking Sanderson at No. 5, Quinn was the first real reach of the draft for me. And that has less to do with Quinn’s ability as a prospect (he’s a multi-faceted individual creator who’s game has detail and who’s frame lends itself to continue growth and potential yet-to-be-scratched level) than it does with who else was available. As good as Quinn is, and as exciting as his late-blooming development curve is, there just isn’t a case, for me, for him as a better prospect than a Perfetti or a Rossi. That Rossi was on Quinn’s team, and clearly the best player on that team, makes the pick a weird one for me.

25. Columbus Blue Jackets

Pick: 21. Yegor Chinakhov
My ranking: Not ranked (!)

I had the Blue Jackets last in my prospect pool rankings in February — despite being quite fond of some of their recent drafting — largely because some of my favourites (Emil Bemstrom and Alexandre Texier) had graduated. Despite a young core in Columbus, though, this draft, a year after trading the bulk of their picks, was a pivotal one for an organization that sorely needs to insulate Liam Foudy and Kirill Marchenko. Then they took Chinakhov, who wasn’t ranked inside my top-100, with the 21st-overall pick, and now here they are again, at the bottom of another one of my lists.

Chinakhov is a fine prospect who has made waves in recent weeks with his impressive play in the KHL, where he has looked consistently dangerous for Avangard Omsk. He torched the MHL last season, too. I like his ability to get to the slot and manufacture offence. He’s stronger than he looks. He has experience on both wings. But he’s also an overager who was passed up a year ago, I’m not convinced any of his tools are A-level, and he’s probably more of a complementary creator at the NHL level. That’s not the kind of player I’d be looking to target in the first two rounds. Though they moved back once to add a new pick at 78th overall, the Blue Jackets don’t pick again until 114th overall, and they probably felt he wasn’t going to stick around to either slot. I don’t think that means you have to use a first-round bullet on him though.

The Results

Below is a look at the entirety of the first-round results versus my ranking, including the plus-minus of each pick relative to my board (blue means the player fell to them by X slots, red means they reached on the player by Y slots), colour coding for the wins and losses, and markings indicating whether the selection was my best player available (BPA), in the conversation, or definitively not one of the players I would have considered.

Excluded altogether from this analysis are the six teams that didn’t have a first-round pick. They are: The Penguins, Canucks, Islanders, Coyotes, Lightning and Bruins.

Rankings.jpg

Just now, JiggyToTheCup said:

I agree we go for too many of that type.  The Perrault pick was that upside pick you were looking for.  I'm still kind of stunned we got that pick for a guy that gets hurt a lot.  And I loved Kase before he got hurt.  Colangelo looks like a really good pick also at 36.   And maybe that's why they took Drysdale first.  Cuz they knew two high potential players would be there.

I said it yesterday, but Perrault makes Drysdale at 6 so much better, being able to grab someone who has about as good of a shot as Holtz at 27 after taking your #1 D man is huge. Really great drafting. Colangelo seems very solid as well, solid build, goal scoring guy. I think he played with Zegras when they were younger as well.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I said it yesterday, but Perrault makes Drysdale at 6 so much better, being able to grab someone who has about as good of a shot as Holtz at 27 after taking your #1 D man is huge. Really great drafting. Colangelo seems very solid as well, solid build, goal scoring guy. I think he played with Zegras when they were younger as well.

Exactly! That's what I was realizing as I was reading mroe about it last night...even though I was down on not taking a forward at 6 at first.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

And not taking a Swede 

Weird, but GMBM hasn't drafted a Swede since Lundestrom with the 23rd pick in 2018. That's 18 straight Tre Kronor-free picks. Wonder if he had some bad smorgasbord during one of his recent scouting trips.

6'2....wow...tall. interesting draft......

I asked this earlier but no one responded, but I'll ask again 'cause I'm not sure what the rules are haha how soon are players you drafted able to be traded?

2 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

6'2....wow...tall. interesting draft......

I asked this earlier but no one responded, but I'll ask again 'cause I'm not sure what the rules are haha how soon are players you drafted able to be traded?

I think you can trade the rights to negotiate a contract with them immediately.  I'm pretty sure there have been trades within the draft of people drafted within that draft.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Woops.  Totally thought we had traded out of the 7th and didn't see our logo there.  Guess it's time for glasses.

Chances for another Swede!

We traded it in the Del Zotto trade with VAN.  Did we trade for another 7th?

32 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

We traded it in the Del Zotto trade with VAN.  Did we trade for another 7th?

Traded a conditional 7th to grab it 

Kings got some guy named Alex Laferriere - did they misread the last name?

this guy looks interesting:
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/carter-savoie

as do these:
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/bear-hughes
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/nils-aman
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/connor-mcclennon
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/gunnarwolfe-fontaine  - (aw, we missed out on almost the best named draft pick)
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/oskar-magnusson - this guy looks good, no?

this guy is ridiculously tall, and weighs nothing:
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/louis-crevier

i think these guys dropped way down:
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/axel-rindell

Welcome to Anaheim Ducks Jamie Drysdale,Jacob Perreault,Sam Colangelo,Ian Moore,Thimo Nickl,Artyom Galimov,Albin Sundsvik and Ethan Bowen....I like this Draft Class imho our Ducks Did very well....Ducks address some needs in RW and RHD...Drafting Drysdale was Best Possible outcome for our team considering our RHD has been weaken over few years...Drafting Perreault was Best Pick our Ducks have gotten...a Historic for for our team...Ducks Taking Austrian Born Defencemen...which is Good.....all in all I give our Ducks A+ in Draft this year.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I’m surprised the Ducks took one of the players I mentioned last night with the 36th pick! That Hockey Prospecting scouting website that had Perreault ranked #8 had Colangelo at #23. 

I’m a bit bummed we passed on Zion Nybeck at 104. Carolina took him at 115. He was mostly ranked from 30-73. Could be a steal for the Canes years down the road. The guy we got instead (Thimo Nickl) was ranked as high as 74 and as low as 92 so the value was there. 

I’m really surprised we took Arytom Galimov. That screams swinging for the fences, and why not with a 5th round pick? Overaged Russian forward, but he was ranked 117 and 119 at two places I saw. It’s good to see he’s off to nice start for his KHL team.

Edited by Spencer_12

2 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

I’m surprised the Ducks took one of the players I mentioned last night with the 36th pick! That Hockey Prospecting scouting website that had Perreault ranked #8 had Colangelo at #23. 

I’m a bit bummed we passed on Zion Nybeck at 104. Carolina took him at 115. He was mostly ranked from 30-73. Could be a steal for the Canes years down the road. The guy we got instead (Thimo Nickl) was ranked as high as 74 and as low as 92 so the value was there. 

I’m really surprised we took Arytom Galimov. That screams swinging for the fences, and why not with a 5th round pick? Overaged Russian forward, but he was ranked 117 and 119 at two places I saw. It’s good to see he’s off to nice start for his KHL team.

Seems like Galimov could make the team as soon as next year, although I think he’s contracted in the KHL, not sure how that works, but he’s a great PK, energy guy. 

I don't understand when these people say "ohhh what a find!" for teams to take a player that fell lol like...no one had to search for that. Also, aren't like...most if not all players drafted on some sort of radar for most teams? So many players go undrafted I'd have to imagine that within the first 4-5 rounds each player selected is scouted pretty well and most GMs have a good read on. It's not like the Ducks went to some unscouted player they found playing in a pick-up game at TheRinks lol (aka a fantasy I should probably stop hoping for at this point in my life.... :P )

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I don't understand when these people say "ohhh what a find!" for teams to take a player that fell lol like...no one had to search for that. Also, aren't like...most if not all players drafted on some sort of radar for most teams? So many players go undrafted I'd have to imagine that within the first 4-5 rounds each player selected is scouted pretty well and most GMs have a good read on. It's not like the Ducks went to some unscouted player they found playing in a pick-up game at TheRinks lol (aka a fantasy I should probably stop hoping for at this point in my life.... :P )

Well No...our Ducks have MOORE Defencemen now with this Draft now concluded.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I think the thing that makes the happiest is that for the first time in a while I genuinely see a core of some high caliber guys. 

Zegras - Perrault - Terry - Drysdale - Gibson (maybe Dostal if Gibby regresses) 

Then you have guys like Steel, Jones, Comtois, Tracey, Moore, Nickl, Galimov, Mahura, Groulx, etc who can plug in to the 2nd-4th line and 2nd-3rd pairing. 

Plus guys like Fowler, Lindholm, Getzlaf, Silfverberg*, Manson*, Rakell* who can serve as your veteran core. 

*’s for guys I think should/might get traded or not resigned. 

• Like 1