The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

NHL Entry Draft Targets

2 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

6'2....wow...tall. interesting draft......

I asked this earlier but no one responded, but I'll ask again 'cause I'm not sure what the rules are haha how soon are players you drafted able to be traded?

I think you can trade the rights to negotiate a contract with them immediately.  I'm pretty sure there have been trades within the draft of people drafted within that draft.

• Thanks 1

Woops.  Totally thought we had traded out of the 7th and didn't see our logo there.  Guess it's time for glasses.

Chances for another Swede!

7 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Woops.  Totally thought we had traded out of the 7th and didn't see our logo there.  Guess it's time for glasses.

Chances for another Swede!

We traded it in the Del Zotto trade with VAN.  Did we trade for another 7th?

32 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

We traded it in the Del Zotto trade with VAN.  Did we trade for another 7th?

Traded a conditional 7th to grab it 

I don't know whether the Ducks hit it out of the park or not, but it was a promising draft.  Our top two picks are both highly regarded and one represents a pretty severe departure from Murray's normal drafting strategy.  Those two picks, and arguably Colangelo, will hopefully help fill some rather large organizational holes.  And speaking of a departure, Murray took a Russian in the draft for the first time since the Clinton administration, I believe.

There are probably a few misses on guys later in the draft that we could have had, but overall, I'm pleased.  Now I'm just looking forward to seeing Zegras in action.

• Like 2

Kings got some guy named Alex Laferriere - did they misread the last name?

this guy looks interesting:
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/carter-savoie

as do these:
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/bear-hughes
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/nils-aman
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/connor-mcclennon
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/gunnarwolfe-fontaine  - (aw, we missed out on almost the best named draft pick)
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/oskar-magnusson - this guy looks good, no?

this guy is ridiculously tall, and weighs nothing:
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/louis-crevier

i think these guys dropped way down:
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/axel-rindell

Welcome to Anaheim Ducks Jamie Drysdale,Jacob Perreault,Sam Colangelo,Ian Moore,Thimo Nickl,Artyom Galimov,Albin Sundsvik and Ethan Bowen....I like this Draft Class imho our Ducks Did very well....Ducks address some needs in RW and RHD...Drafting Drysdale was Best Possible outcome for our team considering our RHD has been weaken over few years...Drafting Perreault was Best Pick our Ducks have gotten...a Historic for for our team...Ducks Taking Austrian Born Defencemen...which is Good.....all in all I give our Ducks A+ in Draft this year.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I’m surprised the Ducks took one of the players I mentioned last night with the 36th pick! That Hockey Prospecting scouting website that had Perreault ranked #8 had Colangelo at #23. 

I’m a bit bummed we passed on Zion Nybeck at 104. Carolina took him at 115. He was mostly ranked from 30-73. Could be a steal for the Canes years down the road. The guy we got instead (Thimo Nickl) was ranked as high as 74 and as low as 92 so the value was there. 

I’m really surprised we took Arytom Galimov. That screams swinging for the fences, and why not with a 5th round pick? Overaged Russian forward, but he was ranked 117 and 119 at two places I saw. It’s good to see he’s off to nice start for his KHL team.

Edited by Spencer_12

2 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

I’m surprised the Ducks took one of the players I mentioned last night with the 36th pick! That Hockey Prospecting scouting website that had Perreault ranked #8 had Colangelo at #23. 

I’m a bit bummed we passed on Zion Nybeck at 104. Carolina took him at 115. He was mostly ranked from 30-73. Could be a steal for the Canes years down the road. The guy we got instead (Thimo Nickl) was ranked as high as 74 and as low as 92 so the value was there. 

I’m really surprised we took Arytom Galimov. That screams swinging for the fences, and why not with a 5th round pick? Overaged Russian forward, but he was ranked 117 and 119 at two places I saw. It’s good to see he’s off to nice start for his KHL team.

Seems like Galimov could make the team as soon as next year, although I think he’s contracted in the KHL, not sure how that works, but he’s a great PK, energy guy. 

I don't understand when these people say "ohhh what a find!" for teams to take a player that fell lol like...no one had to search for that. Also, aren't like...most if not all players drafted on some sort of radar for most teams? So many players go undrafted I'd have to imagine that within the first 4-5 rounds each player selected is scouted pretty well and most GMs have a good read on. It's not like the Ducks went to some unscouted player they found playing in a pick-up game at TheRinks lol (aka a fantasy I should probably stop hoping for at this point in my life.... :P )

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I don't understand when these people say "ohhh what a find!" for teams to take a player that fell lol like...no one had to search for that. Also, aren't like...most if not all players drafted on some sort of radar for most teams? So many players go undrafted I'd have to imagine that within the first 4-5 rounds each player selected is scouted pretty well and most GMs have a good read on. It's not like the Ducks went to some unscouted player they found playing in a pick-up game at TheRinks lol (aka a fantasy I should probably stop hoping for at this point in my life.... :P )

Well No...our Ducks have MOORE Defencemen now with this Draft now concluded.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I think the thing that makes the happiest is that for the first time in a while I genuinely see a core of some high caliber guys. 

Zegras - Perrault - Terry - Drysdale - Gibson (maybe Dostal if Gibby regresses) 

Then you have guys like Steel, Jones, Comtois, Tracey, Moore, Nickl, Galimov, Mahura, Groulx, etc who can plug in to the 2nd-4th line and 2nd-3rd pairing. 

Plus guys like Fowler, Lindholm, Getzlaf, Silfverberg*, Manson*, Rakell* who can serve as your veteran core. 

*’s for guys I think should/might get traded or not resigned. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I think the thing that makes the happiest is that for the first time in a while I genuinely see a core of some high caliber guys. 

Zegras - Perrault - Terry - Drysdale - Gibson (maybe Dostal if Gibby regresses) 

Then you have guys like Steel, Jones, Comtois, Tracey, Moore, Nickl, Galimov, Mahura, Groulx, etc who can plug in to the 2nd-4th line and 2nd-3rd pairing. 

Plus guys like Fowler, Lindholm, Getzlaf, Silfverberg*, Manson*, Rakell* who can serve as your veteran core. 

*’s for guys I think should/might get traded or not resigned. 

The positive take away is that I think that the Ducks had a solid draft and did a bit better overall than last year. Murray continued to stock pile more defensemen (7 of the last 15 picks have been blueliners) and all three defensemen picked this year are RHD. I'm more convinced than ever that Manson will get shipped out of town and that either Fowler or Lindholm will also. There are 3 LHD projected to go in the top-10 in 2021 and 4 in the top-15 as of now, to help fill that possible void, so it might set up pretty well since we need to move LHD out anyways.

If Murray can get multiple first round picks in 2021, or more importantly in 2022, then I think we can have our future core in place (fingers crossed). My hope is that the Ducks see that LA has amassed a nuclear arsenal of high-end prospects that they will likely have to deal for years with and need to at least keep a respectable pace with it. 

1 minute ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The positive take away is that I think that the Ducks had a solid draft and did a bit better overall than last year. Murray continued to stock pile more defensemen (7 of the last 15 picks have been blueliners) and all three defensemen picked this year are RHD. I'm more convinced than ever that Manson will get shipped out of town and that either Fowler or Lindholm will also. There are 3 LHD projected to go in the top-10 in 2021 and 4 in the top-15 as of now, to help fill that possible void, so it might set up pretty well since we need to move LHD out anyways.

If Murray can get multiple first round picks in 2021, or more importantly in 2022, then I think we can have our future core in place (fingers crossed). My hope is that the Ducks see that LA has amassed a nuclear arsenal of high-end prospects that they will likely have to deal for years with and need to at least keep a respectable pace with it. 

Personally I hold onto Fowler and Lindholm,  both are really good at what they do, and you at least have Fowler signed for pretty much forever. I still think the Ducks need high impact forwards more than D. You have your #1/2in Lindholm/Fowler, then you have Mahura, Djoos, Curran, etc etc. I think you should use the opportunity to grab a high impact forward while everyone else is grabbing the defensemen next year. Unless you have a bonafide Star at the backend at your pick next year.

Tampa Bay just beat Dallas in Edmonton to win a Stanley Cup in September but the Ducks selecting a Russian in the draft is hands down the strangest thing about hockey in 2020.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Personally I hold onto Fowler and Lindholm,  both are really good at what they do, and you at least have Fowler signed for pretty much forever. I still think the Ducks need high impact forwards more than D. You have your #1/2in Lindholm/Fowler, then you have Mahura, Djoos, Curran, etc etc. I think you should use the opportunity to grab a high impact forward while everyone else is grabbing the defensemen next year. Unless you have a bonafide Star at the backend at your pick next year.

I absolutely agree that adding more offensive fire power is a bigger needs than defense. I just don't know how and if it will make sense to keep both of them going forward. Giving Lindholm a big extension with the flat cap and economic uncertainty facing the team doesn't bode well in Ducks (I know they have space), especially during a rebuild. Both guys would get decent returns, and Lindholm with his current contract, is someone that you could trade for impact forward straight up. Plus, in the next 2-3 years, we'll also have LaCombe and Thrun vying for spots. Moving one of them also gives Murray another reason to draft another defensemen! This is all before taking the ED into account. 

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I absolutely agree that adding more offensive fire power is a bigger needs than defense. I just don't know how and if it will make sense to keep both of them going forward. Giving Lindholm a big extension with the flat cap and economic uncertainty facing the team doesn't bode well in Ducks (I know they have space), especially during a rebuild. Both guys would get decent returns, and Lindholm with his current contract, is someone that you could trade for impact forward straight up. Plus, in the next 2-3 years, we'll also have LaCombe and Thrun vying for spots. Moving one of them also gives Murray another reason to draft another defensemen! This is all before taking the ED into account. 

I’m not nearly as high on Thrun or LaCombe. I just personally think that nothing you get back really gives you the same value as your your 2 best defensemen. 
Fowler’s contract reduces his value too much for me. And I’ll die on the Fowler is the Ducks MVP, they simply are way worse without him on the team. 
You’re right that Lindholm is valuable, but he’s still not that old, he’s your best shutdown defensemen, and you don’t really have anyone that replaces him. Ducks are getting a lot of Cap in the next couple years, I think you’ll need Lindholm/Fowler to anchor your blue line 

Partnering Lindholm or Fowler with Drysdale makes me very excited. Add Moore maybe becoming a top 4, 

Fowler - Drysdale 

Lindholm - Moore 

This is also under the impression Manson leaves, if he stays the Ducks blue line looks very good again. Also reduces the pressure on Moore and Nickl. 

10 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think Manson would be the trade and one of the other two might be unprotected.  I don't see 2 going via trade.

It looks like Zegras and Colangelo were teammates at some point? Maybe even....friends? For a pick that's had so many goals recently, but people think it might have been just from being on a "good" team...that's not a terrible sign for us that Zegras and him know each other. Could have some of that "chemistry" we need. Perrault has the better shot, but it might not be terrible to put all 3 of them on a line at some point...even though they are both RWs. Could still work with Zegras being a L shot!

IMHO tonite...our Ducks did great....They address some needs in team weakness on RW and RHD.....Theme of this draft class was mostly on Right handed Shot. Also surprise they got a Russian and happy they got Austrian. Hear he speaks german.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I hope the timing works out where, at least for one season, Getzy is still slick with his passing vision while he has a matured Perrault to pass to.

Maybe it happens where Perrault's first season and Getzy's last has them as a 2nd or 3rd line pairing.

8 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m not nearly as high on Thrun or LaCombe. I just personally think that nothing you get back really gives you the same value as your your 2 best defensemen. 
Fowler’s contract reduces his value too much for me. And I’ll die on the Fowler is the Ducks MVP, they simply are way worse without him on the team. 
You’re right that Lindholm is valuable, but he’s still not that old, he’s your best shutdown defensemen, and you don’t really have anyone that replaces him. Ducks are getting a lot of Cap in the next couple years, I think you’ll need Lindholm/Fowler to anchor your blue line 

Partnering Lindholm or Fowler with Drysdale makes me very excited. Add Moore maybe becoming a top 4, 

Fowler - Drysdale 

Lindholm - Moore 

This is also under the impression Manson leaves, if he stays the Ducks blue line looks very good again. Also reduces the pressure on Moore and Nickl. 

His long time GF is now working for ESPN on the East Coast. Murray really needs to have a chat with him to see where his head is at. Maybe playing closer to her is more important than signing an extension with Anaheim. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Lindholm traded instead of Manson if a top 4D is moved. 

Edited by dukitup

7 minutes ago, dukitup said:

His long time GF is now working for ESPN on the East Coast. Murray really needs to have a chat with him to see where his head is at. Maybe playing closer to her is more important than signing an extension with Anaheim. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Lindholm traded instead of Manson if a top 4D is moved. 

Yeah, I kinda get a sense this is more likely, too. Lindholm should get us some goooood return, though. At this point....what do we need? You could argue we need everything except goaltending still? Do we still need a "goal-scorer" finisher? Or should we be content with seeing how our prospects work out right now?

Is Nylander still a worthy player to go after?