The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

NHL Entry Draft Targets

41 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

IF our Ducks get a top pick...They should explore trading the Pick.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Elliotte Friedman mentioned on his 31 Thoughts podcast that he thinks Bob may have not made a lot of trades at the deadline because he’s holding onto players to do a big trade this summer. I wonder what kind of player Manson/Rakell + the #2 overall would get us in a flat cap world?

26 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Elliotte Friedman mentioned on his 31 Thoughts podcast that he thinks Bob may have not made a lot of trades at the deadline because he’s holding onto players to do a big trade this summer. I wonder what kind of player Manson/Rakell + the #2 overall would get us in a flat cap world?

Ha!  I was just talking about the same thing and with the same two people you listed + the draft pick with a friend yesterday.  Too funny.

34 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Marner? lol Kakko? ...Laine? Jack Hughes? lol Eichel? Patrick I think might be on the market...not sure about him though...

I wonder what it would take to get Kalyiev...that would be an overpay for sure though...

Edited by Jasoaks

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

IF our Ducks get a top pick...They should explore trading the Pick.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I think that's the one thing that they shouldn't explore doing, IMO. They are going through a rebuild and I don't think it's the time to be moving a top-4 pick.

39 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

If Murray is thinking that the market will be better in the summer than at the deadline (correct me if I'm wrong if you had stated that reasoning during the TDL) then I think that's mostly explains it but I don't read into Friedman's comments as a blockbuster trade being what Murray is planning. Theoretically, if Rakell/Manson + this year's first was on the board then I have really no idea what that gets you lol. Also, all the talk around the deadline was Murray wanting a 1st round + good prospect in return for a Rakell/Manson so it would be a major shift in what was being reported just a month ago.

That said, I don't think there's any chance of Murray moving a top-4 pick. If anything, the fact that this season was such a disaster when Murray thought they could compete for a playoff spot may have driven the point home that the rebuild is going to take longer than they hoped and there's not much that the Ducks can do to speed it up by next season. They may have actually accepted going through a more traditional rebuild given how many times Eakins has said the word in recent interviews. IMO, the Ducks are in the same boat as the Buffalos, Detroits, and should be primarily selling for future assets rather than acquiring pieces to try and compete now. Detroit traded Mantha and Buffalo may do the same this offseason with Eichel.

6 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

If Murray is thinking that the market will be better in the summer than at the deadline (correct me if I'm wrong if you had stated that reasoning during the TDL) then I think that's mostly explains it but I don't read into Friedman's comments as a blockbuster trade being what Murray is planning. Theoretically, if Rakell/Manson + this year's first was on the board then I have really no idea what that gets you lol. Also, all the talk around the deadline was Murray wanting a 1st round + good prospect in return for a Rakell/Manson so it would be a major shift in what was being reported just a month ago.

Friedman actually made the comment I referenced while talking about how he thinks Bob will be in on Eichel or another big fish. There’s really nothing to read into it. He was specifically talking about how the Ducks are loaded with young players and that he thinks Bob will try to make a big move with all the assets we have. He didn’t specifically say our 1st round pick could be in play, but he was absolutely talking about a blockbuster type of move.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Friedman actually made the comment I referenced while talking about how he thinks Bob will be in on Eichel or another big fish. There’s really nothing to read into it. He was specifically talking about how the Ducks are loaded with young players and that he thinks Bob will try to make a big move with all the assets we have. He didn’t specifically say our 1st round pick could be in play, but he was absolutely talking about a blockbuster type of move.

Ahh, I see. Got it. Well, I hope Friedman is wrong and still think that Murray would be stupid for the reasons I’ve stated previously if he did something like that lol. Especially, if it’s Eichel.

24 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Ahh, I see. Got it. Well, I hope Friedman is wrong and still think that Murray would be stupid for the reasons I’ve stated previously if he did something like that lol. Especially, if it’s Eichel.

Every single year I hear the same story, "Bob is planning a big move".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The only guy I would keep the pick for is Beniers, who looks like a legit NHL talent to me. If Beniers is not there for us when we pick, I'd rather trade the pick for a big fish like Eichel. We desperately need a top-6 forward talent WAY more than defense, and none of the other forwards projected to go in the top-half of the 1st round really excite me as much as it would to get a legit NHLer in the 22-25 age range.

The only guy I would keep the pick for is Beniers, who looks like a legit NHL talent to me. If Beniers is not there for us when we pick, I'd rather trade the pick for a big fish like Eichel. We desperately need a top-6 forward talent WAY more than defense, and none of the other forwards projected to go in the top-half of the 1st round really excite me as much as it would to get a legit NHLer in the 22-25 age range.

Agree on the forward talent need and think that’s what they’ll do along with Berniers being the pick if he’s on the board. I still can’t rule out a defensemen (contract situations/Murray’s general affinity for them) and if we get Clarke or Power then I have no complaints. Also, I’m not sure that there is a pick in the draft that is a lock to play right away in the NHL. Berniers and Power might go back Michigan for one more year to develop or to the AHL to start out. Eklund might have the best chance of doing that but given the crazy development year I don’t know if we see a player step right in, let alone make a major impact.

I’d rather see the Ducks sign RNH in free agency then trade for Eichel lol.

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Brandt Clarke 

Matty Berniers

William Eklund 

Owen Power

Make it happen Bob. 

Sign me up! This year more than ever I’d love to see the Ducks draft board.

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Agree on the forward talent need and think that’s what they’ll do along with Berniers being the pick if he’s on the board. I still can’t rule out a defensemen (contract situations/Murray’s general affinity for them) and if we get Clarke or Power then I have no complaints. Also, I’m not sure that there is a pick in the draft that is a lock to play right away in the NHL. Berniers and Power might go back Michigan for one more year to develop or to the AHL to start out. Eklund might have the best chance of doing that but given the crazy development year I don’t know if we see a player step right in, let alone make a major impact.

I’d rather see the Ducks sign RNH in free agency then trade for Eichel lol.

Man, you gotta stop dropping that extra "r" in there. It's giving me flashbacks that are no bueno. :lol:

If Beniers is picked in the top-3, how does he go back to college? That's a LOT of money he'd leave on the table by going back to Michigan. IMO he's also the most NHL-ready of any guy in the draft. Even if he starts out as a 3rd line winger, Beniers looks like he has the motor and tools to stick right away. I can't say that about a single other guy I've watched film of so far.

Power is also a LHD, and if he's the guy they take then I would have to think that the organization has soured on LaCombe and Thrun and also believes that Lindholm is a goner. Because if any of those things aren't true, then the depth on the left side of the defense may prevent Power from seeing the ice any time soon (not ideal for a guy you just spent a top-3/4 pick on).

I'm all in on Beniers. If we can't get him, trade the pick to either move down to take a shot at one of the middle-10 ranked guys or to get an NHL-ready player who can help us immediately become better.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Man, you gotta stop dropping that extra "r" in there. It's giving me flashbacks that are no bueno. :lol:

If Beniers is picked in the top-3, how does he go back to college? That's a LOT of money he'd leave on the table by going back to Michigan. IMO he's also the most NHL-ready of any guy in the draft. Even if he starts out as a 3rd line winger, Beniers looks like he has the motor and tools to stick right away. I can't say that about a single other guy I've watched film of so far.

Power is also a LHD, and if he's the guy they take then I would have to think that the organization has soured on LaCombe and Thrun and also believes that Lindholm is a goner. Because if any of those things aren't true, then the depth on the left side of the defense may prevent Power from seeing the ice any time soon (not ideal for a guy you just spent a top-3/4 pick on).

I'm all in on Beniers. If we can't get him, trade the pick to either move down to take a shot at one of the middle-10 ranked guys or to get an NHL-ready player who can help us immediately become better.

Hahaha. Did not even realize that I was disrespecting Matty BENIERS like that!

This is a funky year along with the draft not being particularly strong so I think it would be a season where we may not see a player jump straight to the NHL. Cale Makar went #4 and went back to college and Quinton Byfield would be playing in juniors if his season hadn't been cancelled. Plus, I don't think there's a need to put Beniers in the NHL right away. If he can play, then by all means give him the shot but I'm a bit more skeptical of a player coming straight into the NHL and sticking this year. I don't think any player is coming in and saving this franchise next season either. If the Ducks are somehow competitive next year then I think it's will be primarily on the backs of the young guys of Zegras, Drysdale, Terry and Comtois. 

If you're the Ducks, then I think you have to take the best player available and if it's a LHD in Power (though, I think Clarke could have the highest ceiling in the draft for a D-man) the you take him since his potential is higher than a Thrun on LaCombe. Neither of those guys have done anything to have the Ducks sour on them at all, IMO. They've exceeded expectations at this point. My concern with them is the chance that they pull a Vesey or a Schultz and don't sign with the Ducks given the current logjam at LHD and we get nothing for them. If the Ducks take Power then I think they'd have to trade one of their rights. On a related note, I really curious as to what is going on with Blake McLaughlin. He hasn't signed his ELC and can be a UFA after next year.

I do like the idea of trading down if the Ducks can get the player they want a few spots back. This would be the ideal draft to do that given everything. 

I’m not really inclined to trade down. Unless it’s like 1 spot. Just take your guy, I believe the Ducks can’t pick lower than 4th? 
Brandt Clarke

Matty Berniers 

William Eklund 

Fabian Lysell 

Dylan Guenther 

could all be available at that spot.

I think out of the 3 LH defensemen that high, Luke Hughes is the one I’m the highest on. Just seems to be the most dynamic, has some defensive issues, but he pushes play and skates well.  

Edited by Sexlaf15

15 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

’m not really inclined to trade down

maybe the deal with Seattle? our first vs their first and then they pick Shatt...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m not really inclined to trade down. Unless it’s like 1 spot. Just take your guy, I believe the Ducks can’t pick lower than 4th? 
Brandt Clarke

Matty Berniers 

William Eklund 

Fabian Lysell 

Dylan Guenther 

could all be available at that spot.

I think out of the 3 LH defensemen that high, Luke Hughes is the one I’m the highest on. Just seems to be the most dynamic, has some defensive issues, but he pushes play and skates well.  

I agree with the bolded. Hughes is also really young (he missed being pushed to the 2022 entry draft by just a few days) but it seems like he has the most natural skill of the bunch. 

3 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

maybe the deal with Seattle? our first vs their first and then they pick Shatt...

That's actually a really interesting idea. If we pick ahead of them, maybe the plan for the ED could be to just swap picks so they'd agree to take the player we want to shed.

Does anyone here think this team could be a Stanley cup contender "given time?"  I've seen overall player improvement through-out this tough year in our young guys.  I'm actually not upset about the rebuild... I see the potential is here.  Yes it is always good to add a star player but I'd like to hang on to some of these guys for a bit longer to see if any of them become the man. I like the way Rakell has been playing with the new guys this year.  I think Cam has looked better this year too.  I'd be okay with Manson, Shattenkirk and/or Grant being traded but not sure beyond that.

2 hours ago, MissNoSeven said:

Does anyone here think this team could be a Stanley cup contender "given time?"  I've seen overall player improvement through-out this tough year in our young guys.  I'm actually not upset about the rebuild... I see the potential is here.  Yes it is always good to add a star player but I'd like to hang on to some of these guys for a bit longer to see if any of them become the man. I like the way Rakell has been playing with the new guys this year.  I think Cam has looked better this year too.  I'd be okay with Manson, Shattenkirk and/or Grant being traded but not sure beyond that.

Idk about contender, but they’ve definitely got some kids playing well. Ever since they stopped plugging their ears to virtually everyone saying this team needs a rebuild, lineups have been getting better and guys like Comtois, Terry, Zegras, Fleury, Drysdale, Jones have been playing great. We have a solid core. I think adding 2-3 more top 10 prospects into the system over the next few years has us in a solid spot. 
Zegras

Dryadale 

Whoever they take this year 

plus the next 2 years or so

added to a core of 

Jones 

Terry 

Fleury 

Mahura 

Comtois 

Galimov 

Thrun 

Lacombe 

Lundestrom 

Perrault 

Coalangelo 

etc 

with the vets being 

Lindholm 

Fowler 

Gibson

Maybe the tail end of Getzlaf. 

Thats definitely some talent. They just need to commit, develop and draft well.

Edited by Sexlaf15

Looks like we’re locked into 1-4 unless Vancouver essentially loses out. 

I almost don’t want #1 because I don’t want Power. 
But 
Eklund

Berniers 

Hughes

Lysell 

Clarke. 

Not a bad lot to pick from. 

6 hours ago, MissNoSeven said:

I agree with Sexlaf on this. I don't think the Ducks are contending until they have a new core in place. Zegras and Drysdale look to be key parts of that but I think they are going to need at least two more major pieces to surround them with. The Ducks may also start moving on from some of their veteran guys this offseason. We'll have a top-4 pick this year but if we get a top-2 pick 2022 or 2023 then I think we'll have the pieces in place to be a perennial contender. A Zegras/Wright, Zegras/Bedard 1-2 punch down the middle could make the Ducks the Tampa Bay of the West. But I'm not greedy and would be floored getting Brad Lambert. Just let me dream at least! I am not upset at the rebuild either (it's what happens when players like Perry, Kesler decline and get hurt with age along with being a consistent playoff team) but how Murray has assessed this team and refuses to commit to it. I think in two more seasons we'll have a better idea on whether they are on a contending path as players continue to develop and hopefully transition to the NHL.

earlier we have to make a deal with Seattle, hope BM not makes a mistake there. because if not, I think guys like Fleury or Mahura Seattle picks... if they want Stolarz, let him go, if would be my dream scenario. we have our starting goalie plus 2 prospects. and backup goalies you can have in every FA market... he is in the same age as Gibson and he doesn't hurt us really much, even he plays well.

we don't have to rebuild the whole team from the drafts. maybe also 1-3 good UFA signings would help.

• Like 1

What’s the deal that you would make with Seattle? I like the idea you had of swapping picks with them to take a player but I’m trying think how it would work. Seattle moving up one or two spots in the draft won’t be enough to say take Henrique’s contract or move major money, imo. I’d just let Seattle pick and be done with it.

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

What’s the deal that you would make with Seattle? I like the idea you had of swapping picks with them to take a player but I’m trying think how it would work. Seattle moving up one or two spots in the draft won’t be enough to say take Henrique’s contract or move major money, imo. I’d just let Seattle pick and be done with it.

If we win the lottery and someone else draws into #2 (other than Buffalo or Seattle), then its the difference between the #1 overall and the 4th pick. You don't think that moves Seattle's (space)needle at all? I think it would.

I also wouldn't make that trade if we draw the #1. I want Ben-ears. 

If we win the lottery and someone else draws into #2 (other than Buffalo or Seattle), then its the difference between the #1 overall and the 4th pick. You don't think that moves Seattle's (space)needle at all? I think it would.

I also wouldn't make that trade if we draw the #1. I want Ben-ears. 

Yeah. That’s the rub. Under that scenario, the Ducks shouldn’t move the first overall pick but it becomes more enticing to Seattle for a deal. They are going to command a lot to take on bad money and do teams financial favors in these flat cap/economically difficult times. I think LeBrun said it would take a first round pick + to shed a contract like Tyler Johnson’s, who has three years left, is younger and makes less than Henrique. No way I’d pay that to get Rico off the books.

Let's face it: as of now we don't have a 'franchise" player or someone who has incredible leadership abilities. The most expensive or overpaid players have to be exposed first: Fowler, Shattenkirk, Heinen, Henrique. I also gradually losing my faith in our "elite" goaltender, especially considering his never-stopping injuries and latest performance.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

There's no reason for the Ducks to pay anything to Seattle if that's what they're going to charge to take a big contract.  They really just have to choose two out of the four of Manson, Mahura, Jones, and Steel to protect. I would choose Mahura and Jones, but my guess is the Ducks keep Manson over Mahura.  That leaves Heinen and Shattenkirk exposed, but oh well.  The Ducks don't have many non-exempt assets that are so valuable they have to protect them.  Heck, even my plan (protect Rakell, Lundestrom, Terry, Jones, Lindholm, Fowler, Fleury, Mahura) protects a bunch of guys who aren't deal-breakers.  Lindholm and Rakell are the only ones I'm absolutely sure of, with Fowler and Lundestrom pretty solid.  The rest is a pile of meh.

Agreed. That’s why I don’t think they’ll have a side deal with Seattle and will just let them a pick a player.

Also, you’d leave Manson exposed? I’d keep him since he’s got higher trade value than anyone who’d replace him. I’d expose Fluery instead but I like the list that you proposed.

3 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Let's face it: as of now we don't have a 'franchise" player or someone who has incredible leadership abilities. The most expensive or overpaid players have to be exposed first: Fowler, Shattenkirk, Heinen, Henrique. I also gradually losing my faith in our "elite" goaltender, especially considering his never-stopping injuries and latest performance.

I think most of his “injuries” were excuses to dress Stolarz and give Gibby a night off. He’s played a ton. This team needs to be better in front of him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah. That’s the rub. Under that scenario, the Ducks shouldn’t move the first overall pick but it becomes more enticing to Seattle for a deal. They are going to command a lot to take on bad money and do teams financial favors in these flat cap/economically difficult times. I think LeBrun said it would take a first round pick + to shed a contract like Tyler Johnson’s, who has three years left, is younger and makes less than Henrique. No way I’d pay that to get Rico off the books.

Johnson is also significantly worse than Rico though, so there’s that. 8 goals in 52 games on one of the best teams in the league this season, and only 14 goals last season for Johnson. Meanwhile, Rico had 26 goals last season and has 12 goals this season in just 45 games (translates to 22 goals in an 82 game season) on arguably the worst team in the league. The Kraken also have a cap floor they need to hit and so they’ll need a few bigger contracts. In my mind, if you need to take on cap anyway, why not have it attached to a very durable 20+ goal scorer who now has a giant chip on his shoulder? In other words, there’s no way it would cost a 1st to send Rico to Seattle. Not a chance.

• Like 1

Johnson is also significantly worse than Rico though, so there’s that. 8 goals in 52 games on one of the best teams in the league this season, and only 14 goals last season for Johnson. Meanwhile, Rico had 26 goals last season and has 12 goals this season in just 45 games (translates to 22 goals in an 82 game season) on arguably the worst team in the league. The Kraken also have a cap floor they need to hit and so they’ll need a few bigger contracts. In my mind, if you need to take on cap anyway, why not have it attached to a very durable 20+ goal scorer who now has a giant chip on his shoulder? In other words, there’s no way it would cost a 1st to send Rico to Seattle. Not a chance.

I think Seattle would get a first round pick to take Rico’s full contract. It’s almost 17.5 mil that they’d take off the Ducks payroll over the next 3 years for a player that the Ducks waived just earlier this season and who will be 32 (I think age absolutely factors into it against the Ducks) next year and likely to be exposed in the ED anyway. If Murray got rid of Henrique’s contract for less than that, it would be good GM work. My guess is that he’ll move him in the summer but for retained salary, and a pick to a non-divisional team.

Seattle just has a lot of leverage to use their cap space and make teams pay a bigger premium for cap relief than Vegas did, imo, and are going to lay the hammer down on teams who want to do that. I don’t think they’ll have a shortage of teams willing to play ball either ie Toronto, Tampa, NYI, Washington and the reaching cap floor shouldn’t be a problem without Henrique. 

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

8 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think Seattle would get a first round pick to take Rico’s full contract. It’s almost 17.5 mil that they’d take off the Ducks payroll over the next 3 years for a player that the Ducks waived just earlier this season and who will be 32 (I think age absolutely factors into it against the Ducks) next year and likely to be exposed in the ED anyway. If Murray got rid of Henrique’s contract for less than that, it would be good GM work. My guess is that he’ll move him in the summer but for retained salary, and a pick to a non-divisional team.

Seattle just has a lot of leverage to use their cap space and make teams pay a bigger premium for cap relief than Vegas did, imo, and are going to lay the hammer down on teams who want to do that. I don’t think they’ll have a shortage of teams willing to play ball either ie Toronto, Tampa, NYI, Washington and the reaching cap floor shouldn’t be a problem without Henrique. 

I think you’re over-valuing Rico’s age. Especially given who Seattle’s GM is. Francis had a 119 point season at age 32 and played until he was 40. He’s not going to be scared off by a 31-year-old player who never misses games due to injury and who consistently pots 20-25 goals. And Rico is still the best player available on the Ducks’ exposure list. It’s not the same as Tampa trying to convince Seattle to take Tyler Johnson instead of Sergachev/Cernak. I do think Seattle will want something in exchange for taking Rico’s full contract, but you’re insane if you think they’ll require our top-4 draft pick. It’ll be a 2nd, or a 3rd and a younger player. Something like Heinen or Milano + a 3rd gets it done. Or just our 2nd rounder (#34 overall). The only way I can see Francis not taking that deal is if he really wants Fleury, who he drafted at #7 when he was GM in Carolina.

• Like 1