Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

NHL Entry Draft Targets

Recommended Posts

On 10/8/2020 at 2:55 PM, dtsdlaw said:

So true.

The current pandemic may also impact their timeline. These kids need to play as much as possible if they want to develop into competent NHL D-men, and sitting at home on Zoom calls with their trainers and coaches isn't going to get them to the Big Club any faster.. 

Good Point There...With the Pandemic screwing things up...Ducks need to find ways to ensure Develop of their prospects including Drysdale is not a Hinderance.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 2:44 PM, Fisix said:

did you see it live, or the edited version on youtube?

It was in a couple of posts summarizing what Murray had said during the hot stove. I'm not against the idea either and think that the Ducks want him to be a center more than anything. As long as Zegras is a bonafide top-6 forward, then I'm happy lol. The Ducks still need more top forwards even if Zegras stays a top-2 center. I'm hinging the Ducks' future on the hockey gods blessing us with Shane Wright in 2022 and then having him and Zegras bring us Crosby/Malkin type of success!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It was in a couple of posts summarizing what Murray had said during the hot stove. I'm not against the idea either and think that the Ducks want him to be a center more than anything. As long as Zegras is a bonafide top-6 forward, then I'm happy lol. The Ducks still need more top forwards even if Zegras stays a top-2 center. I'm hinging the Ducks' future on the hockey gods blessing us with Shane Wright in 2022 and then having him and Zegras bring us Crosby/Malkin type of success!

That would be a huge blessing for the Ducks IF they got him in 22 Draft.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

This is what I was referring to 

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/3735555001

I don't know that this is the right forum for this sort of discussion, but I'm of two minds on this.  On the one hand, what the kid did is reprehensible, and I would have no problem if the punishment for his actions included his essentially being blackballed from the NHL.  Hateful actions, once discovered and exposed, have consequences.  And based on the article, it doesn't seem like Miller showed any real remorse.  Everything he did could easily be seen as self-serving in an attempt to have a professional hockey career. I wouldn't have shed a tear if no NHL team gave him the time of day.

On the other hand, people like Miller need help.  Blackballing him might be what he deserves, but it also doesn't provide any impetus for change.  Once he realizes his dream is gone, the bitterness and anger he feels could lead to worse problems down the road.  I know it feels dirty to "reward" someone who has acted this way by drafting him, but hopefully the Coyotes organization will commit to working on the issues Miller has, and be focused as much on turning him into a good citizen as a good hockey player.  My worry, though, is that he is simply part of the organization now and will be subject to the same types of diversity initiatives that all the other players are, most of which are probably rote and just done to check a box so that the Coyotes can promote how progressive they are.  Hopefully that's nothing more than the cynic in me, and the Coyotes, who have Latin American owners and executives, will do some real counselling with Miller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't know that this is the right forum for this sort of discussion, but I'm of two minds on this.  On the one hand, what the kid did is reprehensible, and I would have no problem if the punishment for his actions included his essentially being blackballed from the NHL.  Hateful actions, once discovered and exposed, have consequences.  And based on the article, it doesn't seem like Miller showed any real remorse.  Everything he did could easily be seen as self-serving in an attempt to have a professional hockey career. I wouldn't have shed a tear if no NHL team gave him the time of day.

On the other hand, people like Miller need help.  Blackballing him might be what he deserves, but it also doesn't provide any impetus for change.  Once he realizes his dream is gone, the bitterness and anger he feels could lead to worse problems down the road.  I know it feels dirty to "reward" someone who has acted this way by drafting him, but hopefully the Coyotes organization will commit to working on the issues Miller has, and be focused as much on turning him into a good citizen as a good hockey player.  My worry, though, is that he is simply part of the organization now and will be subject to the same types of diversity initiatives that all the other players are, most of which are probably rote and just done to check a box so that the Coyotes can promote how progressive they are.  Hopefully that's nothing more than the cynic in me, and the Coyotes, who have Latin American owners and executives, will do some real counselling with Miller.

That’s actually my opinion on it. What he did was awful, but if he can genuinely change and impact those who have acted the way he has by showing them that it’s wrong, he could be a valuable ambassador for that sort of thing. I’m fine with him getting another chance, but if he shows a sliver of evidence that he still acts that way he needs to be gone immediately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

That’s actually my opinion on it. What he did was awful, but if he can genuinely change and impact those who have acted the way he has by showing them that it’s wrong, he could be a valuable ambassador for that sort of thing. I’m fine with him getting another chance, but if he shows a sliver of evidence that he still acts that way he needs to be gone immediately. 

IMHO this bad PR for the Yotes in this day of age we are living in right now...smh.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely disgusting behavior, but that’s one of the reasons we have juvenile courts.  Not sure why this was unsealed and why it’s being talked about now.  People make mistakes and serve their punishment.  He served whatever the court decided was appropriate as a 14 year old.  Nothing stated that he needed to apologize in person or show remorse, or anything else.  We continuously get inundated with arguments for criminal justice reform, for hiring convicted felons, for second and third chances for those incarcerated.  But when a minor does something stupid and wrong, we are supposed to outcast them for the rest of their lives.  The hypocrisy is strong right now. 
 

We make hero’s of people that fit our narrative.  Who knows?  Perhaps this young man lives a scandal free life going forward? Or perhaps he becomes the poster child of how someone learns from their prior stupidity?   Seems to me that 18 is a bit young to say that someone is a lost cause.  Shame on any organization that bowed down to pressure not to draft him because they were afraid of some misguided, woke PR.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DT2008 said:

Absolutely disgusting behavior, but that’s one of the reasons we have juvenile courts.  Not sure why this was unsealed and why it’s being talked about now.  People make mistakes and serve their punishment.  He served whatever the court decided was appropriate as a 14 year old.  Nothing stated that he needed to apologize in person or show remorse, or anything else.  We continuously get inundated with arguments for criminal justice reform, for hiring convicted felons, for second and third chances for those incarcerated.  But when a minor does something stupid and wrong, we are supposed to outcast them for the rest of their lives.  The hypocrisy is strong right now. 
 

We make hero’s of people that fit our narrative.  Who knows?  Perhaps this young man lives a scandal free life going forward? Or perhaps he becomes the poster child of how someone learns from their prior stupidity?   Seems to me that 18 is a bit young to say that someone is a lost cause.  Shame on any organization that bowed down to pressure not to draft him because they were afraid of some misguided, woke PR.

 

That's question and What benefit does this serve right now?

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DT2008 said:

 Nothing stated that he needed to apologize in person or show remorse, or anything else.  

 

No, but the fact that he didn't tells me a lot.  You shouldn't need a court to tell you to apologize to someone you hurt and humiliated.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DT2008 said:

Absolutely disgusting behavior, but that’s one of the reasons we have juvenile courts.  Not sure why this was unsealed and why it’s being talked about now.  People make mistakes and serve their punishment.  He served whatever the court decided was appropriate as a 14 year old.  Nothing stated that he needed to apologize in person or show remorse, or anything else.  We continuously get inundated with arguments for criminal justice reform, for hiring convicted felons, for second and third chances for those incarcerated.  But when a minor does something stupid and wrong, we are supposed to outcast them for the rest of their lives.  The hypocrisy is strong right now. 
 

We make hero’s of people that fit our narrative.  Who knows?  Perhaps this young man lives a scandal free life going forward? Or perhaps he becomes the poster child of how someone learns from their prior stupidity?   Seems to me that 18 is a bit young to say that someone is a lost cause.  Shame on any organization that bowed down to pressure not to draft him because they were afraid of some misguided, woke PR.

 

Sorry, I responded quickly earlier, but I need to address this whole thing because I feel it's worth it.  I stand by my comments above - it's a complicated issue, but I don't necessarily have a problem with Mitchell being drafted IF the Coyotes' organization is committed to helping him work through his prejudices and become a positive contributor to society.  If the Coyotes organization doesn't care and is simply interested in getting a decent hockey player who fell in the draft, then they are implicitly condoning Mitchell's prior behavior.

I don't know that anything was "unsealed," but there are people talking about his behavior because it's important to talk about.  The victim, Isaiah Meyer-Crothers, and his family have been outspoken, so it's possible the publicity came from them.  Mitchell acted hatefully and in an ugly, hurtful manner, and he never addressed the person whom he hurt to express remorse or indicate in any way that he wants to make amends.  The family of that young man is understandably frustrated.  I don't think that condemning racist bullying is in any way "misguided."  "Woke PR" is a term that people use when they want to hide behind the 1st Amendment as an excuse for being jerks to other human beings.  

Mitchell made mistakes, and he paid for them according to what the courts determined was appropriate.  But the goal is for him to become a better person, and, if what the family of Isaiah Meyer-Crothers is saying is true about the lack of a personal apology, the evidence is somewhat sparse that Mitchell has made those strides.  There are consequences beyond court-mandated punishment for being a racist bully, and while I absolutely think that making pariahs of bad actors is going too far in the other direction, I'm glad that this sort of behavior is loudly condemned and not swept under the rug.  If Mitchell is going to be in the public eye, the burden is on him to prove that he is learning and growing.  I hope the Coyotes help him on that path; if they don't, they're partly responsible in our society failing people like Isaiah Meyer-Crothers.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DT2008 said:

Absolutely disgusting behavior, but that’s one of the reasons we have juvenile courts.  Not sure why this was unsealed and why it’s being talked about now.  People make mistakes and serve their punishment.  He served whatever the court decided was appropriate as a 14 year old.  Nothing stated that he needed to apologize in person or show remorse, or anything else.  We continuously get inundated with arguments for criminal justice reform, for hiring convicted felons, for second and third chances for those incarcerated.  But when a minor does something stupid and wrong, we are supposed to outcast them for the rest of their lives.  The hypocrisy is strong right now. 
 

We make hero’s of people that fit our narrative.  Who knows?  Perhaps this young man lives a scandal free life going forward? Or perhaps he becomes the poster child of how someone learns from their prior stupidity?   Seems to me that 18 is a bit young to say that someone is a lost cause.  Shame on any organization that bowed down to pressure not to draft him because they were afraid of some misguided, woke PR.

 

The letter from the bullied kid's mother indicates the bullying went on after the court case. Miller was still taunting the kid even after getting sentenced, and reportedly has spent time loitering outside the victim's house in order to intimidate him. On top of this there was a pattern of behavior from this guy as there were other victims. The judge that sentenced him even referred to other victims even though they weren't part of the trial.

Nobody is saying this kid shouldn't be hired or made an outcast for the rest of his life. But there is evidence of a sustained pattern of bullying (not just bullying, but assault with an overtly racist basis) that maybe should disqualify him from playing in the best league in the world. Nobody is saying he can't go and play in Europe or anywhere that will give him a contract. He also never apologised to the victim in this case. The judge mentioned that he seemed to have little remorse for what he did other than how it would affect him personally - he appeared not to care about the victim at all. Why do you think Miller sent apology letters to the teams that may have drafted him, but never apologized to the kid he actually tormented? Reading all the details about the continued bullying even after being sentenced - this guy is a sociopath. 

To say that the kid didn't get drafted by other teams because of 'some misguided, woke PR' might be the most pathetic thing I have read on these boards. I am beyond grateful that our organization did not draft this kid. If he had I would have had to seriously consider my fandom. 

 

Edited by nieder
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say that this statement from Xavier Gutierrez of the Coyotes says all the right things.  We'll see if the Coyotes' actions back up the things they say here.  If they do, and if Miller's actions support this statement, then we will have a bit more justice in this country.

Quote

“Given our priorities on diversity and inclusion, we believe that we are in the best position to guide Mitchell into becoming a leader for this cause and preventing bullying and racism now and in the future,” the statement continued. “As an organization, we have made our expectations very clear to him. We are willing to work with Mitchell and put in the time, effort, and energy and provide him with the necessary resources and platform to confront bullying and racism. This isn’t a story about excuses or justifications. It’s a story about reflection, growth, and community impact. A true leader finds ways for every person to contribute to the solution. We all need to be a part of the solution.”

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more that is said by the victim’s mother and the more that comes out makes me seriously doubt that Miller is serious about changing. I hope he is, I always have a hard time denying people “second chances”, but what he did was disgusting and the fact that he STILL hasn’t directly apologized Is baffling. I don’t think it’s “woke” to say that people are rightfully upset, and it’s on Miller and the Coyotes to justify getting a chance, beyond being talented. I would love nothing more than for Miller to grow into a person who people can look to and learn from and provide a positive voice for people who have this sort of hatred ingrained in them as children. At 14 that behavior is learned and clearly his family deserves blame, I hope he can unlearn that and genuinely change. 
 

BTW you can ignore (which we shouldn’t) the racist aspects and what he did is still just as despicable. 

Edited by Sexlaf15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i haven't found a true record - was Mitchell 14 at the time of the sentencing, or was his victim 14?  i seem to remember from reading through that Mitchell is years older than Isaiah, but i could be wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

The more that is said by the victim’s mother and the more that comes out makes me seriously doubt that Miller is serious about changing. I hope he is, I always have a hard time denying people “second chances”, but what he did was disgusting and the fact that he STILL hasn’t directly apologized Is baffling. I don’t think it’s “woke” to say that people are rightfully upset, and it’s on Miller and the Coyotes to justify getting a chance, beyond being talented. I would love nothing more than for Miller to grow into a person who people can look to and learn from and provide a positive voice for people who have this sort of hatred ingrained in them as children. At 14 that behavior is learned and clearly his family deserves blame, I hope he can unlearn that and genuinely change. 
 

BTW you can ignore (which we shouldn’t) the racist aspects and what he did is still just as despicable. 

I have to disagree with the bolded. The reported actions sound to me like he’s a sociopath, so I don’t think you can automatically blame his family. And if he is a sociopath, it’s certainly possible his sociopathic tendencies didn’t really manifest in anything significant before age 14 that would trigger intervention. IMO there’s just too little information available to throw the family under the bus here.

Can’t imagine Bill Armstrong is too happy with this situation after working to build such a character team in St Louis. Betcha he just buries this 4th round pick and just calls it a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's incredibly admirable for the Coyotes to make this stance and so far I think it's a great statement they are making. Things like this are beginnings to ACTUAL change...

...unless it's all talk and they can't back it up. But I do think they have the genuine intention to do this. Look, this kid aint going to last long in this league if he doesn't shape up his perspective of being overtly racist. He'll get destroyed on and off the ice.

He's only 18...his brain is very much still developing and there's an opportunity for him to change. Not changing between 14 and 18 doesn't mean much to me. Not changing between 18 and 25 while a professional hockey league puts some effort into it -- that means a lot more. He wont change unless he wants to...and maybe he fakes it at first. But sometimes even faking it can lead to actual change.

I don't believe any one is born racists, so I definitely believe anyone can stop being it. And it usually stems from some sort of hatred towards yourself and looking for something to blame for that pain you feel within. If the Yotes can foster an environment where he'll feel comfortable to be honest with them...they can work with him on diminishing that self-hatred and find constructive ways to channel that anger and properly vent it. It's a balance of being accountable for his actions but also understanding what he hates about himself isn't his fault (spoiler alert: it probably has something to do with his parents).

Maybe he doesn't "show remorse" right now, but him showing continued anger sounds like he's probably even more upset with himself than he's giving off. He just hasn't gotten through it to the remorse part...yet. Don't force the kid to apologize. That'll never do anything. He needs to come to it himself. And he absolutely can.

And I can't think of a better sport than hockey to accompany that! :)

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coyotes have renounced their rights to Mitchell Miller. That's the correct move IMO. He shouldn't be barred from the NHL, but he never should have been drafted either. Glad Armstrong fixed that situation. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Coyotes have renounced their rights to Mitchell Miller. That's the correct move IMO. He shouldn't be barred from the NHL, but he never should have been drafted either. Glad Armstrong fixed that situation. 

Is it fixed, though?  The way the Coyotes handled it was poor, in that if they were going to draft the kid, they needed to have reached out (or be ready immediately to reach out) to Isaiah Meyer-Crothers with all sorts of communication about their reasoning and their commitment to rehabilitating Miller.  The statements afterward were nice and, if acted upon, could lead to good things.  But they could also very easily be construed as post hoc justification. The Coyotes should have done much better by Isaiah.

Mitchell Miller is pretty clearly a troubled young man.  Some people have thrown around the term "sociopath," which might be the case, but I have no idea.  Whether he's a sociopath or not, he needs help to become someone who can interact positively with people who are different from him.  There are relatively few organizations that have the resources and ability to play both sides of this fence.  The Coyotes could have done a lot (and still can, I suppose) for Isaiah and his family, in addition to spending resources to be intentionally inclusive of the black and developmentally disabled communities.  At the same time, they could continue to provide Miller with counselling and they could require his participation in outreach events to those communities.  As a professional sports organization, the Coyotes have the funds and the motivation for a project like this.

Now, Miller is presumably on his own.  Again, that's no harsher than he deserves, since the actions he took, and continued to take, were reprehensible.  However, I wonder if the Coyotes did society a disservice by washing their hands of this kid.  Other, less well-funded organizations will either kick him to the curb or turn a blind eye to his indiscretions.  Either way, Miller won't be motivated to improve himself.  The Coyotes could have provided that motivational structure.  

Maybe the Coyotes have spent some time with Miller and determined he's not interested in that kind of help, so it's better for them to distance themselves now.  Otherwise, this seems like the Coyotes pulling the ripcord on a poorly executed decision just to make themselves look better.  Without being in the room, I have no idea what motivated this.  This SEEMS like justice, but it might also be an abdication of social responsibility in the name of saving face all dressed up as justice.  I just hope Miller improves himself and grows from this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Coyotes have renounced their rights to Mitchell Miller. That's the correct move IMO. He shouldn't be barred from the NHL, but he never should have been drafted either. Glad Armstrong fixed that situation. 

Imho the damage is already Done.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Is it fixed, though?  The way the Coyotes handled it was poor, in that if they were going to draft the kid, they needed to have reached out (or be ready immediately to reach out) to Isaiah Meyer-Crothers with all sorts of communication about their reasoning and their commitment to rehabilitating Miller.  The statements afterward were nice and, if acted upon, could lead to good things.  But they could also very easily be construed as post hoc justification. The Coyotes should have done much better by Isaiah.

Mitchell Miller is pretty clearly a troubled young man.  Some people have thrown around the term "sociopath," which might be the case, but I have no idea.  Whether he's a sociopath or not, he needs help to become someone who can interact positively with people who are different from him.  There are relatively few organizations that have the resources and ability to play both sides of this fence.  The Coyotes could have done a lot (and still can, I suppose) for Isaiah and his family, in addition to spending resources to be intentionally inclusive of the black and developmentally disabled communities.  At the same time, they could continue to provide Miller with counselling and they could require his participation in outreach events to those communities.  As a professional sports organization, the Coyotes have the funds and the motivation for a project like this.

Now, Miller is presumably on his own.  Again, that's no harsher than he deserves, since the actions he took, and continued to take, were reprehensible.  However, I wonder if the Coyotes did society a disservice by washing their hands of this kid.  Other, less well-funded organizations will either kick him to the curb or turn a blind eye to his indiscretions.  Either way, Miller won't be motivated to improve himself.  The Coyotes could have provided that motivational structure.  

Maybe the Coyotes have spent some time with Miller and determined he's not interested in that kind of help, so it's better for them to distance themselves now.  Otherwise, this seems like the Coyotes pulling the ripcord on a poorly executed decision just to make themselves look better.  Without being in the room, I have no idea what motivated this.  This SEEMS like justice, but it might also be an abdication of social responsibility in the name of saving face all dressed up as justice.  I just hope Miller improves himself and grows from this.

I see this situation differently. New GM Bill Armstrong was prohibited from participating in the draft at all due to agreement between the Coyotes and Blues, so he had nothing to do with this pick at all. Instead, the Yotes were relying only on scouting info gathered entirely without Armstrong’s participation and input - so basically info that was gathered under the Chayka regime. From what I know of Armstrong, he also puts a lot of weight on character and I highly doubt he would have made this pick. So for him to pull the plug on it makes perfect sense and IMO it also doesn’t leave any lingering stench of the pick on him since he had zero to do with it. And although I haven’t seen anything reported to this effect yet, I would be SHOCKED if it turns out Armstrong didn’t contact the victim’s family ahead of this announcement to let them know this was coming, to apologize to the family on behalf of the organization, and to promise them that this never would have happened with him calling the shots. So sure, the Yotes handled it terribly. But there’s also now a new sheriff in town, and this probably gives him even more control over the team’s direction moving forward since the leftovers from the Chayka regime bungled the draft so badly (including the prospect tampering that cost them their earlier picks)

Miller is also not on his own. He’s enrolled at UND. In fact, since he’s now committed to a major collegiate program, I think it makes even more sense to let him figure it out with his collegiate program rather than through an NHL organization, which would probably have to keep its distance anyway so as to not jeopardize his NCAA eligibility (the Yotes money doesn’t mean crap if they can’t use it due to NCAA rules). So assuming UND doesn’t kick him out now too, he’ll actually get more personal attention from the college than he would have from the Yotes for the next few years.

 

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think there's now some evidence of continuing abuse after the sentence in 2016, perhaps even as recent as the past couple of years.  i think once the Coyotes found out about that, they didn't have many options left.

as you say, Armstrong probably gets past this without too much of a blemish, AND the rest of the league gets to see what's risked when a team gets caught prospect tampering and can't scout the draft with their A team.

we'll see what Miller's college does.  i think they at least have to have him on some kind of private probation related to his conduct... basically a zero tolerance probation.  

all that said, like others noted, the circumstances of this don't tend to turn guys like Miller (seems to be) into upstanding citizens.  it's one thing to be told before the draft that you're undraftable because of your past and lack of progress towards redemption.  it's completely another to have your selection yanked because your past rears its ugly head... the second circumstances are way too susceptible to blaming the victim for speaking up. 

i think Miller's college better make him a project and work hard at healing his character faults.  better for everyone if he can be trained to get past his own hangups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I see this situation differently. New GM Bill Armstrong was prohibited from participating in the draft at all due to agreement between the Coyotes and Blues, so he had nothing to do with this pick at all. Instead, the Yotes were relying only on scouting info gathered entirely without Armstrong’s participation and input - so basically info that was gathered under the Chayka regime. From what I know of Armstrong, he also puts a lot of weight on character and I highly doubt he would have made this pick. So for him to pull the plug on it makes perfect sense and IMO it also doesn’t leave any lingering stench of the pick on him since he had zero to do with it. And although I haven’t seen anything reported to this effect yet, I would be SHOCKED if it turns out Armstrong didn’t contact the victim’s family ahead of this announcement to let them know this was coming, to apologize to the family on behalf of the organization, and to promise them that this never would have happened with him calling the shots. So sure, the Yotes handled it terribly. But there’s also now a new sheriff in town, and this probably gives him even more control over the team’s direction moving forward since the leftovers from the Chayka regime bungled the draft so badly (including the prospect tampering that cost them their earlier picks)

Miller is also not on his own. He’s enrolled at UND. In fact, since he’s now committed to a major collegiate program, I think it makes even more sense to let him figure it out with his collegiate program rather than through an NHL organization, which would probably have to keep its distance anyway so as to not jeopardize his NCAA eligibility (the Yotes money doesn’t mean crap if they can’t use it due to NCAA rules). So assuming UND doesn’t kick him out now too, he’ll actually get more personal attention from the college than he would have from the Yotes for the next few years.

 

The rumor is that Chayka actually had Miller as DND (Do Not Draft) and either the scouting team or the 'interim GM' Steve Sullivan decided to take this guy off the DND list for whatever reason.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nieder said:

The rumor is that Chayka actually had Miller as DND (Do Not Draft) and either the scouting team or the 'interim GM' Steve Sullivan decided to take this guy off the DND list for whatever reason.

Well that's interesting. So the interim GM, who was passed over for the top job, is responsible for the pick? I also just read that the Coyotes fired their Director of Amateur Scouting Lindsay Hofford on September 22nd and that the new Director of Amateur Scouting Darryl Plandowski (hired 10/1 away from Tampa's front office) also wasn't allowed to participate in their draft either. So the GM and Director of Amateur Scouting had no say in their draft. Man, that whole situation sounds messy.

That said, I still think the new leadership coming in gives them substantial cover on this. Will be interesting now to see if Sullivan or someone else in the scouting department ultimately takes the fall for this embarrassment though.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Well that's interesting. So the interim GM, who was passed over for the top job, is responsible for the pick? I also just read that the Coyotes fired their Director of Amateur Scouting Lindsay Hofford on September 22nd and that the new Director of Amateur Scouting Darryl Plandowski (hired 10/1 away from Tampa's front office) also wasn't allowed to participate in their draft either. So the GM and Director of Amateur Scouting had no say in their draft. Man, that whole situation sounds messy.

That said, I still think the new leadership coming in gives them substantial cover on this. Will be interesting now to see if Sullivan or someone else in the scouting department ultimately takes the fall for this embarrassment though.

 

Wonder about that too...considering the negative PR coming towards the yotes for this crazy mess.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Well that's interesting. So the interim GM, who was passed over for the top job, is responsible for the pick? I also just read that the Coyotes fired their Director of Amateur Scouting Lindsay Hofford on September 22nd and that the new Director of Amateur Scouting Darryl Plandowski (hired 10/1 away from Tampa's front office) also wasn't allowed to participate in their draft either. So the GM and Director of Amateur Scouting had no say in their draft. Man, that whole situation sounds messy.

That said, I still think the new leadership coming in gives them substantial cover on this. Will be interesting now to see if Sullivan or someone else in the scouting department ultimately takes the fall for this embarrassment though.

 

Yeah, no kidding. The new GM, and the new Director of Amateur Scouting had no say in the 2020 draft. What a dumpster fire of a franchise.

I'm not surprised that Armstrong came in and got rid of Miller. From what I know about him he's a big team culture guy. There's just no way he would have drafted this kid. I'm guessing the organization was also getting huge blowback from their season ticket holders and fans. I know that I would have sent my complaint directly to the team had Anaheim drafted him.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:53 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Miller is also not on his own. He’s enrolled at UND. In fact, since he’s now committed to a major collegiate program, I think it makes even more sense to let him figure it out with his collegiate program rather than through an NHL organization, which would probably have to keep its distance anyway so as to not jeopardize his NCAA eligibility (the Yotes money doesn’t mean crap if they can’t use it due to NCAA rules). So assuming UND doesn’t kick him out now too, he’ll actually get more personal attention from the college than he would have from the Yotes for the next few years.

 

Apparently he is still at UND but will no longer play hockey for the University. Looks like his hockey career is over unless he decides to skip school and head overseas. I can't see another team giving him an entry level contract.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-north-dakota-cuts-mitchell-miller-1.5784703

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2020 at 6:47 PM, nieder said:

Yeah, no kidding. The new GM, and the new Director of Amateur Scouting had no say in the 2020 draft. What a dumpster fire of a franchise.

I'm not surprised that Armstrong came in and got rid of Miller. From what I know about him he's a big team culture guy. There's just no way he would have drafted this kid. I'm guessing the organization was also getting huge blowback from their season ticket holders and fans. I know that I would have sent my complaint directly to the team had Anaheim drafted him.

Apparently he is still at UND but will no longer play hockey for the University. Looks like his hockey career is over unless he decides to skip school and head overseas. I can't see another team giving him an entry level contract.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-north-dakota-cuts-mitchell-miller-1.5784703

wow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2020 at 6:47 PM, nieder said:

Yeah, no kidding. The new GM, and the new Director of Amateur Scouting had no say in the 2020 draft. What a dumpster fire of a franchise.

I'm not surprised that Armstrong came in and got rid of Miller. From what I know about him he's a big team culture guy. There's just no way he would have drafted this kid. I'm guessing the organization was also getting huge blowback from their season ticket holders and fans. I know that I would have sent my complaint directly to the team had Anaheim drafted him.

Apparently he is still at UND but will no longer play hockey for the University. Looks like his hockey career is over unless he decides to skip school and head overseas. I can't see another team giving him an entry level contract.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-north-dakota-cuts-mitchell-miller-1.5784703

My daughter, UND graduate this past May, 2020, was in Grand Forks visiting (social distancing) when all this came down.  She's saying that most there just want to move on from this.  I'm thinking they (UND Hockey) did not do their true due diligence in this matter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GiAnTFAN-ad1 said:

My daughter, UND graduate this past May, 2020, was in Grand Forks visiting (social distancing) when all this came down.  She's saying that most there just want to move on from this.  I'm thinking they (UND Hockey) did not do their true due diligence in this matter.

IF that is the case then the fault is on UND for not doing background check on Miller. Make the College Hockey team look pretty bad.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...