The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

NHL Entry Draft Targets

5 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Interesting tidbit in this article in The Athletic:

I really don't like the sound of that bolded part. He had 10 months to "resolve" the abdominal injury during the Covid shut down. Makes me think he isn't really that committed to rehab. And with his herniated disc now being a major issue, I think it's gotta be a hard pass on Eichel's $10M. I wonder how many GMs will think the same. 

The Ducks still need to find another center this offseason though. That same article does mention that Reinhardt wants out too, and I'd definitely be interested in him. He reportedly moved to center when Eichel went down and played pretty well. He's an RFA with one year left until UFA, but I wonder if we could put a package together for him that would include a pre-arranged contract extension? If we could draft Beniers and then also add a Reinhardt-type, I think this team's talent is much improved next season.

All true but then there is the coaching...

3 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Interesting tidbit in this article in The Athletic:

I really don't like the sound of that bolded part. He had 10 months to "resolve" the abdominal injury during the Covid shut down. Makes me think he isn't really that committed to rehab. And with his herniated disc now being a major issue, I think it's gotta be a hard pass on Eichel's $10M. I wonder how many GMs will think the same. 

The Ducks still need to find another center this offseason though. That same article does mention that Reinhardt wants out too, and I'd definitely be interested in him. He reportedly moved to center when Eichel went down and played pretty well. He's an RFA with one year left until UFA, but I wonder if we could put a package together for him that would include a pre-arranged contract extension? If we could draft Beniers and then also add a Reinhardt-type, I think this team's talent is much improved next season.

$10 mil invested in only one guy with the long injury history - it's insane. What if he gets injured again? $10 mil on the shelf and AHL team on the ice because most of our young players/prospects will be traded away to get him here? I don't even understand what are we discussing here.

17 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

how do you only wear your RR jerseys, twice? That’s a crime. It was the 2nd-3rd best selling jersey from every team. Both times they wore it, NHL Twitter talked about it all day. So much money left on the table. Speaking of jerseys, it’s pretty much unanimous that everyone wants the old school jerseys back. Our current ones are pretty ugly, at the very least make out 3rd alternate the main one. NHL needs to look at the NBA, their jerseys are so cool and the it’s so many you can choose from, and people who aren’t even fans are going to wear them. 

I disagree with pretty much all of this. NBA jerseys are a joke. So many teams have jerseys that look nothing like their team's designs or color scheme. Like, what is your team identity? Then having stupid phrases on the front instead of team name/location like 'Rip City' instead of Portland? Completely stupid.

It might be unanimous among young fans that the old school jerseys should come back but I doubt that is the case among fans that are 35+. There seems to be this nostalgia for the old jerseys among young fans that never experienced or have forgotten being the butt of every joke in the NHL while wearing those jerseys. Hell, there were even old school players that refused to sign with Anaheim because they were embarrassed to wear the jersey. There was massive support for changing the jerseys and name to get away from Disney back in 2005. I'm sure that support still runs deep with older fans who bring in a lot of dollars. I also have to think that with having the current jerseys plus selling 'retro' stuff the team gets more revenue from that than just going back to the old logo/jerseys.

Edited by nieder

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm an old fan (age 38) and I would love if the old jerseys came back.  The Wild Wing jersey is an abomination and they should all be fired into the Andromeda Galaxy, but the old Mighty Ducks logo is awesome.

All I'm saying is that there seems to be this view that the fans unanimously want the old jerseys back, but I don't think this is true. It may be true amongst the younger demographic of fans. It's certainly true on Reddit but that is a site that skews younger.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, nieder said:

All I'm saying is that there seems to be this view that the fans unanimously want the old jerseys back, but I don't think this is true. It may be true amongst the younger demographic of fans. It's certainly true on Reddit but that is a site that skews younger.

Count me among that silent demographic. I will never buy any eggplant and jade merch that was worn by cartoon characters:

So you guys would rather wear this ugly, boring jersey we have? The orange is a really weird shade, the gold looks terrible. Unanimous is an hyperbole, but Comtois, Zegras, and Fowler have been on record saying they liked the old school jerseys. I highly doubt anyone that matters in the current NHL is going to refuse money because they don’t like the jersey. The NHL is getting younger and younger and I think if anything the opposite might be true, people might sign here to wear a piece of history. These RR jerseys showed that there’s an incredibly large market for nostalgia, and for jerseys to be more fun. I don’t want to see another black/gold or orange jersey scheme or a red and blue scheme. Or a webbed D logo, it’s boring. 
And Nieder specifically you sound like a geezer shaking his fist at the sky talking about the NBA, whether you like it or not, the players and the fans love it and it sells. NHL needs to market itself and its stars better, eventually it’s going to hit the wall like the MLB. You have to cater to the young fans and get more people on board. I could picture a pretty rad “The OC” jerseys for the Ducks with some flair. At least more variety, let teams wear what they want and have a wide pool of jerseys they can pick from. The product on the ice would be better imo. There’s a reason the NBA is money, it markets itself better. This sport could really grow if it wasn’t all these old heads wanting players to be boring, jerseys to be boring. The sport needs some swagger. 

An addendum. There’s nothing wrong with not liking the old school stuff or new stuff. I just think this sport could use with better “marketing”

more people talked about the Ducks when we were wearing our RR and those things looked gorgeous on the ice. They’re absurd, that’s what’s awesome. If you haven’t already seen those 80’s Night Gulls jerseys they wore a while ago, they’re beautiful. And I want to purchase one. And I tuned into the game to watch them play, almost solely because of the jersey. If wearing a ridiculous/ugly/cool jersey every once in awhile gets us more eyes on the team, that’s revenue potentially, which might actually help us sign guys. 

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

An addendum. There’s nothing wrong with not liking the old school stuff or new stuff. I just think this sport could use with better “marketing”

more people talked about the Ducks when we were wearing our RR and those things looked gorgeous on the ice. They’re absurd, that’s what’s awesome. If you haven’t already seen those 80’s Night Gulls jerseys they wore a while ago, they’re beautiful. And I want to purchase one. And I tuned into the game to watch them play, almost solely because of the jersey. If wearing a ridiculous/ugly/cool jersey every once in awhile gets us more eyes on the team, that’s revenue potentially, which might actually help us sign guys. 

I like weird jerseys. But I also think that part of what makes those jerseys good is the fact they are only worn seldomly. If one of those jerseys were our regular uniform the team would look like a joke.

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

So you guys would rather wear this ugly, boring jersey we have? The orange is a really weird shade, the gold looks terrible. Unanimous is an hyperbole, but Comtois, Zegras, and Fowler have been on record saying they liked the old school jerseys. I highly doubt anyone that matters in the current NHL is going to refuse money because they don’t like the jersey. The NHL is getting younger and younger and I think if anything the opposite might be true, people might sign here to wear a piece of history. These RR jerseys showed that there’s an incredibly large market for nostalgia, and for jerseys to be more fun. I don’t want to see another black/gold or orange jersey scheme or a red and blue scheme. Or a webbed D logo, it’s boring. 
And Nieder specifically you sound like a geezer shaking his fist at the sky talking about the NBA, whether you like it or not, the players and the fans love it and it sells. NHL needs to market itself and its stars better, eventually it’s going to hit the wall like the MLB. You have to cater to the young fans and get more people on board. I could picture a pretty rad “The OC” jerseys for the Ducks with some flair. At least more variety, let teams wear what they want and have a wide pool of jerseys they can pick from. The product on the ice would be better imo. There’s a reason the NBA is money, it markets itself better. This sport could really grow if it wasn’t all these old heads wanting players to be boring, jerseys to be boring. The sport needs some swagger. 

I honestly prefer a boring jersey over a cartoon one. And keeping the wild wing logo and jerseys as a 3rd or retro jersey allows the team to sell both the new and the old designs, win win for them really. I also like the orange, makes sense due to the Orange County link.

I don't think I am an old geezer with most things, for example I like the shootout and I like 3 on 3. But sorry but we are just never going to agree about the NBA jerseys. I will turn on the TV or watch Sportscenter or whatever and have no idea what teams are playing. The Lakers were playing in light blue a few weeks ago, I mean it is ridiculous. I would buy a Kings jersey before I buy 'The OC' Ducks jersey.

38 minutes ago, nieder said:

I like weird jerseys. But I also think that part of what makes those jerseys good is the fact they are only worn seldomly. If one of those jerseys were our regular uniform the team would look like a joke.

I honestly prefer a boring jersey over a cartoon one. And keeping the wild wing logo and jerseys as a 3rd or retro jersey allows the team to sell both the new and the old designs, win win for them really. I also like the orange, makes sense due to the Orange County link.

I don't think I am an old geezer with most things, for example I like the shootout and I like 3 on 3. But sorry but we are just never going to agree about the NBA jerseys. I will turn on the TV or watch Sportscenter or whatever and have no idea what teams are playing. The Lakers were playing in light blue a few weeks ago, I mean it is ridiculous. I would buy a Kings jersey before I buy 'The OC' Ducks jersey.

That’s fine. I may not even be right, but I think the NBA does such a good job marketing itself. Hard not to want a piece of that pie. The best player in the NHL is a soggy piece of bread personality wise. Probably no one outside the sphere of hockey knows who McDavid even is. McDavid is probably the best to ever do it and you never hear about him. 
I just wanna see the game grow. I think having fun jersey match ups more than twice a season would help. I disagree that the eggplant is only cool because you never see it. It’s unique, you know exactly what team is playing, and people outside of hockey know the iconography. Kids would see athlete/influencers wearing it and wonder where it’s from, and that could be a gateway. 
that goes for any unique jerseys. I would love to see TB or FLA with a jersey with that pink/blue neon color way. Ir teams willing to pull out those classics, those sick Jagr Era Pens jerseys, the lady liberty NYR jerseys, etc. Ducks have some banger jerseys they could pull out and I would love to see them do it 15-20 times a season. Change their primaries to the orange MD logo one, then 20 times wear a random throwback during the year. Best of both worlds?

to your Lakers point. The Pens used to whip out those random powder blue jerseys and everyone was okay. If I’ve never seen a hockey game and I tune into the Flyers vs Ducks, it would probably take me the same amount of timr/effort to differentiate them if they had themed jerseys like the nba. 

Edited by Sexlaf15

31 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm down for the old school Ducks jerseys, but count me among those who loves that McDavid is humble and understated and also among those who think the NBA jerseys are out of control.  Influencers are a plague on society.  That's not sarcasm, I really think they're terrible.

I love that McDavie is humble sure, but how much of that is the insistence of this antiquated hockey culture. How much more exciting would the Battle of Alberta be if players actually voiced what they thought (which is happening more and more)? Hockey interviews are most often, super boring, with the same script every night. I’m not saying every team needs 10 alternate jerseys and every team needs a city jersey, again I can personally envision a pretty cool OC jersey which could be fun. Also yeah, most influencers are super annoying and add nothing, but that’s what kids watch nowadays and if like 1000 kids get into hockey because they see their favorite youtubers rocking a cool jersey, that’s a win. And you gotta make hockey jerseys more stylish or at least cool. 
The Capitals jerseys looks like Preset Option 1 in any sports game. Most older jerseys are so much cooler. Those Kolzig era ones are so sick. I want each team to have a personality.

34 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

None, and I mean that honestly.  The excitement is on the ice.  I don't give a hoot what any hockey player says (or any athlete, really) off the ice/court/field.  I watch them because they're really good at slinging a disc of vulcanized rubber around, not because I'm interested in verbal sparring.  Which isn't to say I think athletes should just shut up and play sports - I'm happy that more and more athletes are speaking out for social justice and the like.  But that, to me, is completely separate from the on-ice product, which doesn't need any "enhancement" from colorful personalities.

Sorry, I know where you're going with it, but Connor McDavid sells himself.  If you watch him play hockey for three minutes and aren't interested in continuing to watch, no jersey is going to sell you on the sport.

I’m fine with McDavid being himself, Mike Trout is the same way. But MLB has Tatis, Soto, etc. nHL has Wilson and Marchand love em or hate em. 
 you may not think things like that matter isn’t my point. We get amped to watch the Ducks play the Kings because of all the history, the fights, the hits, etc. we’ve been around the game a long time. That moment hasn’t happened for new fans, everything I’m saying is in regards to drawing in new fans. I just think the league should encourage players to just speak honestly and true to themselves. Whether that be boring or exciting. Again we don’t need that sort of thing because we ARE fans already. 

You know an interesting point is brought up regarding jerseys. Outside of hockey, or casual fans, or someone who doesn't watch at all, what jerseys are recognizable? Kings, Rangers, Red Wings, Pens, Canadiens, and Leafs? Maybe a few others. The old egg plant jersey was pretty recognizable I think. People who aren't fans of hockey wear gear because it looks cool. We're honestly not up there with those other teams in terms of our current jerseys. I like the orange, don't get me wrong, but I'd like to see a change, especially our current webbed D logo. 

Oh yeah, there's also Vegas. We need to breathe some life into this franchise. 

I mean, I 100% agree that the excitement is on the ice. And it HAS to be. That's top priority. Off-ice stuff and interviews can't replace what happens on the ice...

But who doesn't love a good Torts interview? Or love re-watching Roy vs. JR...or even Kesler vs. Johanson. "Why you hef to be mad?" (I know that last one isn't about cockiness, but it's still great haha)

I think players just need to be themselves. If they want to trash talk or be cocky or whatever...cool! If they want to be humble or whatever...also cool! If they want to be stiff and rigid and just say the things they're trained to say...then they probably don't speak english well or don't like doing interviews or get shy or nervous or whatever...also cool! As long as it doesn't go too far and cross the line *cough*SeanAvery*cough* then it's all in good fun. But it's what happens on the ice that matters most.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 8:18 PM, gorbachav5 said:

There's no reason for the Ducks to pay anything to Seattle if that's what they're going to charge to take a big contract.  They really just have to choose two out of the four of Manson, Mahura, Jones, and Steel to protect. I would choose Mahura and Jones, but my guess is the Ducks keep Manson over Mahura.  That leaves Heinen and Shattenkirk exposed, but oh well.  The Ducks don't have many non-exempt assets that are so valuable they have to protect them.  Heck, even my plan (protect Rakell, Lundestrom, Terry, Jones, Lindholm, Fowler, Fleury, Mahura) protects a bunch of guys who aren't deal-breakers.  Lindholm and Rakell are the only ones I'm absolutely sure of, with Fowler and Lundestrom pretty solid.  The rest is a pile of meh.

I Beleive Ducks should not rule out a Trade unless Bob is again timid and paranoid cost cutter.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

31 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I assume it’s 

Power

Beniers

That leaves us: Eklund (my pick), Clarke, Hughes 

Two words Mason McTavish.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I’m interested to see TSN’s McKenzie final list. I like that it’s built around consensus from NHL scouts. They had Dylan Guenther at #2 in April before the last big tournament of the year (U18 WJC). In that tournament he put up 7 pts in 7 games with 4 goals. 

His 1st year in the WHL he put up 59 pts in 58 games, and now in his draft year he went 12-12=24 in 12 games. He was on pace for over 100 points in a full season. Guys who do that pretty much are always selected #1 or #2 in the draft if there’s no random concern, injury or otherwise. 

• Like 1

A couple youtubers have us taking Edvinsson. I think that might be the only pick I’ve seen us taking in nick’s that I dislike a lot. 

14 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I assume it’s 

Power

Beniers

That leaves us: Eklund (my pick), Clarke, Hughes 

If we can’t have Beniers, Luke Hughes would be my pick. Hughes also has that “it” factor. Both guys have really high ceilings IMO.

Guenther is my pick. Ducks need potential top 6 forwards bad. I'd hate to see them go with another D is this draft. Guenther this year and win the lottery the next two years and get Wright and Bedard.

• Like 1

It's kind of hard to go by rankings on who would be a good pick. Power for example is first on some lists, sixth on others. So, would Murray trade down if he thinks his target(s) wouldn't go third?

51 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

It's kind of hard to go by rankings on who would be a good pick. Power for example is first on some lists, sixth on others. So, would Murray trade down if he thinks his target(s) wouldn't go third?

oh wow, yeah, this draft seems to be a bit of a crapshoot...

Just doing some quick, little research...right now I'd be excited to get, in this order: Power, Beniers, Guenther, Hughes, Edvinsson...after that I feel we squandered away having a #3 pick...

On 6/4/2021 at 9:06 AM, gorbachav5 said:

I have a hard time imagining a team trading anything significant to move up in this draft.  I know Bennington in Vancouver has said they have nine guys they want.  Maybe he's just saying that because they're picking ninth, but let's assume the same is true for Murray.  Maybe he's got 10 guys on his list and he'd be equally happy with any of the 10.  Do we really think Ottawa would give up anything of significance to move from 10th to 3rd?  I doubt they give up one of their second round picks to do that in this draft.  Normally to move up to the top 3 would cost a team their first round pick and another late 1st or early 2nd, which Ottawa has, but I don't see them doing that unless they've got a guy they're absolutely sold on.

I dunno...if Murray is set on grabbing Guenther (or anyone)...maybe he can convince NJ he's really looking at Luke Hughes and get them to make some trade to switch spots so they grab Jack's brother. *shrug* I'm sure it wouldn't be for anything significant

On 6/4/2021 at 9:06 AM, gorbachav5 said:

I have a hard time imagining a team trading anything significant to move up in this draft.  I know Bennington in Vancouver has said they have nine guys they want.  Maybe he's just saying that because they're picking ninth, but let's assume the same is true for Murray.  Maybe he's got 10 guys on his list and he'd be equally happy with any of the 10.  Do we really think Ottawa would give up anything of significance to move from 10th to 3rd?  I doubt they give up one of their second round picks to do that in this draft.  Normally to move up to the top 3 would cost a team their first round pick and another late 1st or early 2nd, which Ottawa has, but I don't see them doing that unless they've got a guy they're absolutely sold on.

The one team I can envision moving up is Columbus. They have the #5 + 1st rounders from Toronto and Tampa Bay. If they trade Seth Jones at the draft, which has been speculated, they'll likely get another 1st rounder too. Given all of those assets, I could see them moving up if there's a player they really covet. If you're Buffalo or Seattle, and Columbus offers the #5 and Toronto's 1st, plus maybe even a later pick as a sweetener, do you say no? Especially in this draft where there is no clear consensus #1 overall.

On 6/8/2021 at 12:03 AM, dtsdlaw said:

The one team I can envision moving up is Columbus. They have the #5 + 1st rounders from Toronto and Tampa Bay. If they trade Seth Jones at the draft, which has been speculated, they'll likely get another 1st rounder too. Given all of those assets, I could see them moving up if there's a player they really covet. If you're Buffalo or Seattle, and Columbus offers the #5 and Toronto's 1st, plus maybe even a later pick as a sweetener, do you say no? Especially in this draft where there is no clear consensus #1 overall.

Seems to me Power has become the clear cut #1 after the WC. It's as stated above. If buffalo has 5 guys on their mind they'd be dumb not to take 2 1st rounders instead of 1. But if they want Power, Beniers or let's say Eklund they're not gonna move down to 5th.

I think I’m all aboard the 
Eklund or Hughes train. Under the assumption that Power and Beniers go 1 and 2 respectively. 

2 Things I beleive could happen for our Ducks next Month...We all know for need of Reforms for our team in general.

1.Trade IF our Ducks are able to get Eichel or Laine it would be HUGE and Earth Shaking. My Honest Opinion Ducks need a BIG(Pronger-Type) Trade.

2.Drafting a Player I beleive is my no 1 Choice....Mason McTavish.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

who was the top 5-7 pick who played most of this year in Europe?  i can't remember if it was the Russian or Finnish or Swedish league, but he seems to have a step up relative to the others. 

So far, it seems like anyone who can get developed outside the Ducks system is probably worth more to us that someone relying on our development pipeline.  I think I read that he's now expect to go top 5, but he was top 13 or 15 earlier in the year.  There were some other plusses.

if we can't pick another Zegras or Drysdale, then i'm finding myself not all that interested in this draft's top Ducks pick.

11 hours ago, Fisix said:

who was the top 5-7 pick who played most of this year in Europe?  i can't remember if it was the Russian or Finnish or Swedish league, but he seems to have a step up relative to the others. 

So far, it seems like anyone who can get developed outside the Ducks system is probably worth more to us that someone relying on our development pipeline.  I think I read that he's now expect to go top 5, but he was top 13 or 15 earlier in the year.  There were some other plusses.

if we can't pick another Zegras or Drysdale, then i'm finding myself not all that interested in this draft's top Ducks pick.

Eklund? He was playing in the Swedish elects league and doing well. He is in the talks around 5-7

• Like 1

Eklund sounds cool! But I have a feeling it's something like Power, Beniers, Guenther for BM... to me his comments sound like he wants to get a forward, but would get a D if the opportunity presents itself and it's someone you can't pass up on...and I can only assume that meant Power. I'm ok with that...some people see high on Guenther...I mean I think there are 6 players who all would be great to have, is what it sounds like! So...yay! lol