The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

NHL Entry Draft Targets

44 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Eklund sounds cool! But I have a feeling it's something like Power, Beniers, Guenther for BM... to me his comments sound like he wants to get a forward, but would get a D if the opportunity presents itself and it's someone you can't pass up on...and I can only assume that meant Power. I'm ok with that...some people see high on Guenther...I mean I think there are 6 players who all would be great to have, is what it sounds like! So...yay! lol

Guenther and Eklund seem like very skilled offensive players, but considering GMBM’s philosophy of building a team down the middle with centers, defense, and goaltending, I can’t help but think that he’s committed to taking D or Center with his highest pick ever. If Beniers and Power are gone, I think Hughes or McTavish would make the most sense based on Bob’s history.

7 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Eklund sounds cool! But I have a feeling it's something like Power, Beniers, Guenther for BM... to me his comments sound like he wants to get a forward, but would get a D if the opportunity presents itself and it's someone you can't pass up on...and I can only assume that meant Power. I'm ok with that...some people see high on Guenther...I mean I think there are 6 players who all would be great to have, is what it sounds like! So...yay! lol

What about McTavish...Ducks should not overlook Mason too or Raty.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

7 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Guenther and Eklund seem like very skilled offensive players, but considering GMBM’s philosophy of building a team down the middle with centers, defense, and goaltending, I can’t help but think that he’s committed to taking D or Center with his highest pick ever. If Beniers and Power are gone, I think Hughes or McTavish would make the most sense based on Bob’s history.

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

What about McTavish...Ducks should not overlook Mason too or Raty.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Eklund could play C it looks like....but yeah I mean, using hte 3rd to pick McTavish? I wonder if we could find a way to give that 3rd to buffalo for Eichel without dealing Z or Dysdale...I'd have to imagine that that has more interest to them than Turcotte. But then we lose our 1st rounder. But we'd have Eichel lol

5 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Eklund could play C it looks like....but yeah I mean, using hte 3rd to pick McTavish? I wonder if we could find a way to give that 3rd to buffalo for Eichel without dealing Z or Dysdale...I'd have to imagine that that has more interest to them than Turcotte. But then we lose our 1st rounder. But we'd have Eichel lol

I am not trying to insult intellgence of you all I know many of you have good intentions on Ducks Draft at 3rd...But I think our team can look at Mason and see IF he fits well into our Ducks System of Hockey. IF he is picked I would be pleased.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

4 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

I am not trying to insult intellgence of you all I know many of you have good intentions on Ducks Draft at 3rd...But I think our team can look at Mason and see IF he fits well into our Ducks System of Hockey. IF he is picked I would be pleased.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Do you think McTavish has a better upside than Eichel? I'm just saying...if Bob dangles the 3rd pick (and someone not named Gibson, Zegras, or Drysdale) to the Sabres for Eichel...I don't see how we don't become interest #1 to them. Unless Columbus is looking at Laine or LA is looking at like Turcotte, Kaylivev, and someone else I don't know their prospects that well...I feel like we might be giving them their best offer. 

They could then pick Beniers first and then Power or Hughes or whoever 3rd. Maybe we find a way to get a later 1st pick to grab Mason. But if we have Eichel...Eichel and Z down the middle not sure how much we'd need McTavish. But wouldn't be terrible to get haha

16 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

The Athletic podcast on Friday had Corey Pronman on to discuss the prospect rankings and Pronman said he wasn’t including Eklund in his Center rankings because he hadn’t played that position within the past two years. He did have a lot of good things to say about McTavish as a C though, and NHL Central Scouting has McTavish ranked #2 overall for North American skaters, ahead of everyone but Power.

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

The Athletic podcast on Friday had Corey Pronman on to discuss the prospect rankings and Pronman said he wasn’t including Eklund in his Center rankings because he hadn’t played that position within the past two years. He did have a lot of good things to say about McTavish as a C though, and NHL Central Scouting has McTavish ranked #2 overall for North American skaters, ahead of everyone but Power.

I made vid on my YT channel discussing about Mason....He is my first choice and canidate for the Ducks to Pick at 3rd Overall.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I see a lot of folks giving up on Max Jones.  I'm not one of them.  I just wish he had a different regime to play under in Anaheim.

3 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

I see a lot of folks giving up on Max Jones.  I'm not one of them.  I just wish he had a different regime to play under in Anaheim.

not in these forums, i don't think.  Max did well this season.  some other rookies pooped the bed, but not MJ.

3 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

I love Max Jones. I love the way he plays, he’s physical and a pest, but he’s always looking to get it to the net. Even when the moves don’t work, he’s always trying and I think he’s a great 3rd liner and has a year or so to become more. 

• Like 1

Curious to how you all consume prospect information? I watch a lot of youtube, I find a lot of the old guard writers like Button to value a lot of old school values that I don’t really value. 

Some William Eklund propaganda. 

Eklund scored at a higher pace than Jakub Vrana did in his D+1 year. And was second since 2010 to Elias Lindholm. He also outscored his teammate, notable prospect Alexander Holtz, who was his linemate. 

Dobber Prospexts wrote this:

“His play has elevated the play of 2020 seventh overall pick at times this year, proving that he is doing far more than riding passenger with a veteran and a top prospect. Eklund has the shooting ability to be a legitimate goal-scoring threat as well as the creativity and playmaking talent to be the facilitator. He plays with speed and pace, often overwhelming less talented defenders with his persistence and desire to play in the middle of the ice and around the net. He finds himself space with good body positioning and the ability to bounce off defenders. He battles hard down low and doesn’t give up on plays often, making him a hassle on nearly every shift.”

At 3rd overal, this team really needs a shot in the arm of guys who can play offense and score goals. I think Eklund could really help this team. I think he might be the most NHL ready prospect in the top rankings. 

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Curious to how you all consume prospect information? I watch a lot of youtube, I find a lot of the old guard writers like Button to value a lot of old school values that I don’t really value. 

Watching highlights on the respective league or Youtube and follow guys like Pronman, Wheeler, Jack Han, Elite Prospects etc for the most part to get more insight.

40 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Some William Eklund propaganda. 

Eklund scored at a higher pace than Jakub Vrana did in his D+1 year. And was second since 2010 to Elias Lindholm. He also outscored his teammate, notable prospect Alexander Holtz, who was his linemate. 

Dobber Prospexts wrote this:

“His play has elevated the play of 2020 seventh overall pick at times this year, proving that he is doing far more than riding passenger with a veteran and a top prospect. Eklund has the shooting ability to be a legitimate goal-scoring threat as well as the creativity and playmaking talent to be the facilitator. He plays with speed and pace, often overwhelming less talented defenders with his persistence and desire to play in the middle of the ice and around the net. He finds himself space with good body positioning and the ability to bounce off defenders. He battles hard down low and doesn’t give up on plays often, making him a hassle on nearly every shift.”

At 3rd overal, this team really needs a shot in the arm of guys who can play offense and score goals. I think Eklund could really help this team. I think he might be the most NHL ready prospect in the top rankings. 

Yeah. I like Eklund and think he'd be a very good selection at #3 but since the draft lottery, a lot more pundits have the Ducks taking Guenther. Granted, the style of game and ice size is different in the SHL but like you said, he's been good against pro players and should be a top-5 selection. I give him slight odds be our pick if one and two go the consensus of Beniers/Power.

• Like 2

Hockey News Rankings:

1) Power

2) Edvinsson

3) Guenther

4) Eklund

5) Beniers

Just threw that out there. Not really paying much attention to prospect rankings from other sources. Interesting Beniers #5 with the consensus being Power/Beniers 1 & 2.

Corey Pronman at the Athletic today:

1. Power

2. Guenther

3. Eklund

4. Hughes

5. Beniers

4 hours ago, dukitup said:

Hockey News Rankings:

1) Power

2) Edvinsson

3) Guenther

4) Eklund

5) Beniers

Just threw that out there. Not really paying much attention to prospect rankings from other sources. Interesting Beniers #5 with the consensus being Power/Beniers 1 & 2.

No McTavish?......abit surprise Beniers is low as 5.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

No McTavish?......abit surprise Beniers is low as 5.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 6/14/2021 at 12:37 PM, Fisix said:

not in these forums, i don't think.  Max did well this season.  some other rookies pooped the bed, but not MJ.

Yeah, not sure where Wolf was seeing this.  Jones has been praised by name consistently thus season as having great growth and defining a unique role for himself.

Steel, on the other hand...

15 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Yeah, not sure where Wolf was seeing this.  Jones has been praised by name consistently thus season as having great growth and defining a unique role for himself.

Steel, on the other hand...

We could see Ducks possibility trade him in Trade Deal.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

wow...how is Beniers dropping to 5th in these rankings???? I cannot imagine if he's available at #3 we pass on him.

23 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

wow...how is Beniers dropping to 5th in these rankings???? I cannot imagine if he's available at #3 we pass on him.

I think it’s some typical main stream galaxy brainining that seems to happen every year. As the draft gets closer everyone starts over thinking what teams are going to do. I think the top 2 are going to be pretty locked, but who knows. I think Beniers is probably the best prospect in the draft and I won’t complain if he falls to us. 

Edited by Sexlaf15
  • Like 2

There’s concerns about his ceiling. He’s one of the safest prospects in terms of getting a guy who you can pencil into your lineup, but there’s a chance he won’t be more than a #3 center. You don’t want to draft a #3 center with a top 5 pick if there’s another forward out there with a decent chance to be a top 6 player, and the rankings that have him lower are higher on other forwards. 

Edited by Spencer_12
  • Like 1

So I guess Berniers got hurt at the World’s. Which might explain him falling. I guess it was an ankle injury. 

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I think it’s some typical main stream galaxy brainining that seems to happen every year. As the draft gets closer everyone starts over thinking what teams are going to do. I think the top 2 are going to be pretty locked, but who knows. I think Beniers is probably the best prospect in the draft and I won’t complain if he falls to us. 

Exactly that. Look at how far Zegras dropped. The “experts” and their opinions run wild this time of year. 

On 6/16/2021 at 7:28 PM, yeaitsme said:

Exactly that. Look at how far Zegras dropped. The “experts” and their opinions run wild this time of year. 

Perry and Getz both also dropped....sounded like "experts" were worried about how reckless they were driving to the net and also not being great skaters lol

I don’t know what sources you guys use, but I tend to like this guys videos. Figured I’d share the videos he’s done on guys that we might take. 

• Thanks 1

Given the trajectory of this draft class and if we keep our pick, I'd like for us to choose the player with the highest ceiling who might take longer to develop. Seems like all the guys from this class won't play in the nhl this next season anyway. And if we're not going to contend, why not take the guy who's going to be ready in say 2-3 years when we'll actually be making the push towards contention. I don't know the players specifically but I'm just saying we should go in that direction. Maybe even move down to get more picks? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Given the trajectory of this draft class and if we keep our pick, I'd like for us to choose the player with the highest ceiling who might take longer to develop. Seems like all the guys from this class won't play in the nhl this next season anyway. And if we're not going to contend, why not take the guy who's going to be ready in say 2-3 years when we'll actually be making the push towards contention. I don't know the players specifically but I'm just saying we should go in that direction. Maybe even move down to get more picks? 

Personally I think Eklund and Hughes would be it. I think Eklund might not be a super star, but the dude is smart and can do it all. Hughes seems to be the most dynamic defensemen, although I’m not sure what his injury might do. I’m not very high on Clarke or Edvinsson, but who knows. If you’re looking for projects. I think Hughes might be it, youngest guy I think in the top 10. He’s super raw, but the talent is there and I could be sold on a Hughes - Drysdale pairing in the future lol. 

On 6/16/2021 at 8:52 PM, Jasoaks said:

Looks Like Fate is guiding our Ducks to Beniers....btw he is one of the candiates besides mctavish I have on my list.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

20 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

From a pure drafting perspective, you're right on.  The problem I see with this strategy is that for this to work, the organization has significant work to do after the draft in developing a player like this.  The Ducks have not been great at developing prospects under Murray.  I would worry that a high ceiling guy in the Ducks organization doesn't get the development he needs to reach that ceiling, making him worth relatively less.

Outside of Z and Drysdale I don’t think we’ve even drafted a high ceiling guy to develop.  Always drafted high floor, low ceiling guys like Lundestrom, Jones, Ritchie. Maybe that’s because we weren’t drafting very high, but it’s hard to evaluate how the organization develops blue chip guys, when we’ve barely had any.