The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

NHL Entry Draft Targets

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Outside of Z and Drysdale I don’t think we’ve even drafted a high ceiling guy to develop.  Always drafted high floor, low ceiling guys like Lundestrom, Jones, Ritchie. Maybe that’s because we weren’t drafting very high, but it’s hard to evaluate how the organization develops blue chip guys, when we’ve barely had any. 

Even though he was drafted in the late 1st, Shea Theodore had a pretty high ceiling that was apparent even as a draft+1 prospect with the Thunderbirds. But according to Bieksa on his podcast, Theo had lost his confidence by the time he was traded to Vegas, so I would argue the Ducks botched his development a bit, especially given what we've seen him turn into with VGK. There's also GMBM's admission that he rushed Fowler's development. That's two guys with really high ceilings that the organization didn't do a great job of developing, so I share Gorb's concern. This organization does not have a great track record for developing high end talent. And it has almost no track record to brag about for developing forwards. Outside of Rakell (drafted in 2011), they haven't really developed a top-6 forward from their own draft stock the entire time Bob has been the GM. Hopefully Comtois and Zegras change that.

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Even though he was drafted in the late 1st, Shea Theodore had a pretty high ceiling that was apparent even as a draft+1 prospect with the Thunderbirds. But according to Bieksa on his podcast, Theo had lost his confidence by the time he was traded to Vegas, so I would argue the Ducks botched his development a bit, especially given what we've seen him turn into with VGK. There's also GMBM's admission that he rushed Fowler's development. That's two guys with really high ceilings that the organization didn't do a great job of developing, so I share Gorb's concern. This organization does not have a great track record for developing high end talent. And it has almost no track record to brag about for developing forwards. Outside of Rakell (drafted in 2011), they haven't really developed a top-6 forward from their own draft stock the entire time Bob has been the GM. Hopefully Comtois and Zegras change that.

Palmieri would be the only one.  And, from what we've been told by people with authority in the organization, he was too 'spensive.

15 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

Palmieri would be the only one.  And, from what we've been told by people with authority in the organization, he was too 'spensive.

He also never scored more than 14 goals in a Ducks sweater because he was buried in a 3rd line role until he was traded. 

it's definitely a conundrum.  you would have thought BB would have fostered the kind of team environment that could develop kids properly, but maybe his marching orders were to focus on the vets to get a cup run together, so he didn't really have the kind of freedom to do so.  or, maybe rookie development really isn't his forte.  

with the cap limit set the way it is, i guess it makes sense that teams are going to have to focus more on player development (relative to any historical perspective of the NHL) if they can't convince veterans to take pay cuts to join the team in droves and work towards a deep playoff run.  California teams probably are worst, positionally, to do that.  we have good weather, but one of the worst tax burdens, and not a lot other intangibles to bring others down here.  Teemu's presence can only do so much.

Eakins gave the Ducks rookies tons of NHL playing time, and that's at least one ingredient of what they need to develop - that's one thing that Theo got that we weren't giving him (making him go up and down so often).  We definitely saw individual progress this past season, just not team progress, not yet.  other teams play games with injury time for their vets to give rookies consistent play time (and rest their vets).  i think it requires a strategy, and up until this past season, i don't think we really had one that involved team AND player development, not in a meaningful way.

i guess we'll see whether they have a strategy in place once we see who comes out of spring training and what the assistants do the first 4 months of games.  i'm hoping we'll look puck and stick and pass skillful and fast... but i don't think there's much hope we'll look like we can stand up physically to a team like Tampa who can play and hit pretty much with impunity.  we'll see.  we have guys on the team who can play rough, but only a very few who have any kind of reliable durability to do so.

I think they’re over correcting with Z, white glove treatment. But I find it weird that they just threw Drysdale to the wolves, made him play on his off side, and with awful partners. So I think I’m wrong. Just get BM outta here. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I think they’re over correcting with Z, white glove treatment. But I find it weird that they just threw Drysdale to the wolves, made him play on his off side, and with awful partners. So I think I’m wrong. Just get BM outta here. 

We all want Stubborn Bob to be removed....Just hope he does not screw it up AGAIN.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Bob McKenzie's final rankings: 1. Power   2. Beniers   3. Edvinsson   T4. Eklund   T4. McTavish   6. Guenther   7. Clarke   8. Hughes   9. Johnson   10. Lucius  

https://www.tsn.ca/owen-power-pulls-away-from-crowded-nhl-draft-field-1.1669730

Elite Prospects final rankings: 1. Beniers   2. Eklund   3. Power.   4. Clarke   5. McTavish   6. Wallstedt   7. Guenther   8. Edvinsson   9. Lysell   10. Johnson

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2021/eliteprospects.com

Edited by dtsdlaw

5 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Bob McKenzie's final rankings: 1. Power   2. Beniers   3. Edvinsson   T4. Eklund   T4. McTavish   6. Guenther   7. Clarke   8. Hughes   9. Johnson   10. Lucius  

https://www.tsn.ca/owen-power-pulls-away-from-crowded-nhl-draft-field-1.1669730

Elite Prospects final rankings: 1. Beniers   2. Eklund   3. Power.   4. Clarke   5. McTavish   6. Wallstedt   7. Guenther   8. Edvinsson   9. Lysell   10. Johnson

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2021/eliteprospects.com

If I were the Ducks, and Power/Beniers were the first two picks, I would go for high-end offensive ability: Eklund, Hughes, Guenther.  I think Eklund will be available and I think they should pick him. 

I'd steer clear of Edvinsson or McTavish or Clarke. They are solid players, but not dynamic.

Just depends on what they want to draft.

if he's available, and Power and Beniers aren't, then i'm not sure BM can pass on Edvinsson.

Eklund and some others have basically threatened to nope out of whoever takes them that's also a bottom feeder.  i think the Ducks have a shot at some of these players because we have Z and Drys, and that might be enough of a draw.  Buffalo... more of a question mark.

fraking Seattle can take whoever and that player will do their best to get on the team ASAP to try to get a ring in their rookie season, no matter what they've said going into the draft.  i mean, insert as many bad words as you can think of.  giving Seattle the 2nd and the ED rules... sheesh.

28 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

It seems like Power and Beniers seem to be fairly consistent at 1 and 2 with the next seven skaters being fairly interchangeable. 

Scott Wheeler at the Athletic has it: 1. Power 2. Johnson 3. Clarke 4. Beniers 5. Eklund 6. Guenther 7. Hughes 8. Lucius 9. Sillinger 10. McTavish

Corey Pronman has it: 1. Power 2. Guenther (who he consistently mocks to the Ducks) 3. Eklund 4. Hughes 5. Beniers 6. Johnson 7. Lucius 8. Clarke 9. McTavish 10. Cossa (G)

It seems neither of The Athletic guys like Edvinsson very much, although others (like McKenzie) seem very high on him.

Eklund has established himself as a consensus top 5 pick. Taking the two rankings you posted, and the ones aggregated on elite prospects, 13/15 have him in the top 5. 9/15 have him top 4. I hope the Ducks go with him or Guenther should the top 2 go how everyone thinks. 

Edited by Spencer_12

Got the time to read McKenzie’s article. After reading it, I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Seattle did something different than Beniers at #2. To make his list, he talks to 10 NHL head scouts, and of those scouts 6 of them had someone else at #2. In all, 5 players were ranked #2 by at least one scout. It really seems like the only consensus is Power at #1, and then there’s decent consensus on a few guys in the top 5, but not necessarily at #2.

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

It seems like Power and Beniers seem to be fairly consistent at 1 and 2 with the next seven skaters being fairly interchangeable. 

Scott Wheeler at the Athletic has it: 1. Power 2. Johnson 3. Clarke 4. Beniers 5. Eklund 6. Guenther 7. Hughes 8. Lucius 9. Sillinger 10. McTavish

Corey Pronman has it: 1. Power 2. Guenther (who he consistently mocks to the Ducks) 3. Eklund 4. Hughes 5. Beniers 6. Johnson 7. Lucius 8. Clarke 9. McTavish 10. Cossa (G)

It seems neither of The Athletic guys like Edvinsson very much, although others (like McKenzie) seem very high on him.

That's why I'm really hoping Power and Beniers go 1, 2. BM can't really make a bad pick after them and just about all of them are either committed to college or could use more time in their respective leagues. I personally like Eklund and Guenther. Eklund has been described as having the best hockey IQ in the draft and Guenther as the best winger in the draft. Can't go wrong with either of them. Then there is Hughes. The descriptions I read about him are a little similar to Fowler. Seeing some video of him reminds me of Drysdale. I would be totally happy with Eklund, Guenther or Hughes at third.

Edited by perry_mvp

If the Ducks keep #3, I’m all in on getting a center. Top-3 picks need to be franchise cornerstones and unless you have a Kane or Ovechkin at the top you’re pretty unlikely to alter the course of your franchise with a winger IMO. I want Beniers, but if he’s gone I’d take Mason McTavish. I love his size, snarl, and compete level. He’s got a good scoring touch too. He reminds me a bit of Kesler.

Edited by dtsdlaw

we really need to figure out a way to keep tabs on who we like/don't like in the drafts, long enough to see who pans out or wallows around the AHL in 5 years.  the whole thing begs of statistical relations and analysis... there's just soooo much historical data, and then the magic sauce would be how to relate recent data to past year data (and how to interrelate different regime data).

I’m locking in my pick as William Eklund. I really hope Bob doesn’t pass on another great player because of size. 

8 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m locking in my pick as William Eklund. I really hope Bob doesn’t pass on another great player because of size. 

Well it seems BM wants a forward...and I wouldn't exactly say Eklund is small...I mean, I'd be happy to get any of those top 8 (except maybe Clarke...)...but I'd prefer Eklund, Guenther, McTavish....or Beniers, Power of course lol

31 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Well it seems BM wants a forward...and I wouldn't exactly say Eklund is small...I mean, I'd be happy to get any of those top 8 (except maybe Clarke...)...but I'd prefer Eklund, Guenther, McTavish....or Beniers, Power of course lol

Assuming Beniers/Power are gone of course 

Eklund 

Hughes

Guenther 

Clarke 

Edvinsson 

that’s roughly my order of preference 

If not, mine are Beniers, McTavish, Hughes, Eklund, Guenther 

Edited by dtsdlaw

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Eklund 

Hughes

Guenther 

Clarke 

Edvinsson 

Beniers is the pick if he falls, imo. I’d swap Hughes and Clarke. After that. I’d go Guenther, Hughes, McTavish but those last three are pretty interchangeable to me and I’d have no preference 

8 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

If not, mine are Beniers, McTavish, Hughes, Eklund, Guenther 

It should be an interesting day tomorrow either way.

I'm high on Guenther but I'm biased, all of the guys you listed are likely going to be good NHL players. 

5 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Beniers is the pick if he falls, imo. I’d swap Hughes and Clarke. After that. I’d go Guenther, Hughes, McTavish but those last three are pretty interchangeable to me and I’d have no preference 

After yesterday, I could see SEA making an off-the-board pick at #2, and passing on Beniers.

We'll see.

1 minute ago, tommer-1 said:

After yesterday, I could see SEA making an off-the-board pick at #2, and passing on Beniers.

We'll see.

yeah, I'd have to imagine Buffalo is looking real hard at Beniers if they lose Eichel...whcih they likely will. So I'm guessing that's why our #3 pick is so enticing... #1 they go Beniers, I dont know if I see SEA taking Powers at #2 with all their strong D they just picked up, even after the trade some....so they probably go for Eklund IMO, which leaves power at #3 for Buffalo to take.

1 minute ago, Jasoaks said:

yeah, I'd have to imagine Buffalo is looking real hard at Beniers if they lose Eichel...whcih they likely will. So I'm guessing that's why our #3 pick is so enticing... #1 they go Beniers, I dont know if I see SEA taking Powers at #2 with all their strong D they just picked up, even after the trade some....so they probably go for Eklund IMO, which leaves power at #3 for Buffalo to take.

I think the chances of BUF picking Beniers #1 overall are pretty good, considering the Eichel situation. Or, if they dealt Eichel to ANA and got the #3 overall, it could go

BUF - Power

SEA - Beniers

BUF - MacTavish

I could see that, too.

7 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

I think the chances of BUF picking Beniers #1 overall are pretty good, considering the Eichel situation. Or, if they dealt Eichel to ANA and got the #3 overall, it could go

BUF - Power

SEA - Beniers

BUF - MacTavish

I could see that, too.

Oh totally. I don't see SEA passing on Beniers if he's available.

But I also don't see Buffalo passing on Beniers if they don't have the #3 pick. So, if we don't get Eichel, but buffalo loses him before Friday...I imagine that first pick is Beniers, SEA passes on a D and grabs Eklund/MacTavish/some forward lol, and then we pick Power at #3

Power/Drysdale pairing just sounds amazing to me IMO.

Just based off of what Bob said before the lottery....he said he wants a forward but would take a D if that's the BPA and I felt the subtext was he would take Power if Beniers isn't available. And this was back when I think he felt good about getting #1 or #2 lol

I just think he's high on Power and Beniers....and isn't noticeably high on anyone else which is why I think he really wants to do this Eichel trade.

Edited by Jasoaks

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Eklund 

Hughes

Guenther 

Clarke 

Edvinsson 

He will select Edvinsson. Love for Swedish defenseman overpowers common sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tommer-1 said:

We'll see.

This is actually a good point. Ron Francis made some bizarre picks yesterday IMO. I wonder if he makes another one.

• Like 1

how bad was the ED Seattle? without any add. picks or side deals.... can't believe they take all players they really wanted...

I know the teams learned from VGK, but 0 picks or side deals and they pick so horrible?! fireRonFrancis....

• Like 1

Alright here is my Final Prediction or should I say choice for the Ducks to Pick at 3rd Overall...It's Mason Mactavish.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

2 hours ago, tommer-1 said:

BUF - Power

SEA - Beniers

BUF - MacTavish

I could see that, too.

Or maybe the reason that Fleury was left uncovered was so Seattle could get him in exchange for not picking Beniers. Then Bob deals the 3rd plus whatever for Eichel.

Buf - Power

Sea - Anyone but Beniers

Buf - Beniers