Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

NHL Entry Draft Targets

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

But I'd be excited about any of them (including Drysdale and Raymond) but I think that's where the priority would be for me. I think there's a CHANCE the Kings go with Stutzle since he has more of what they need than Byfield...then Ottawa takes Byfield...Wings take Rossi...Ottawa comes back with Drysdale...leaving us basically Holtz, Perfetti, or Raymond.

Because Ottawa has #3 and #5 I feel like they will take the forward of their choice at #3 and then take Drysdale at #5 (or they take Drysdale at #3 and then take whoever Detroit does out of Rossi and Stutzle). It makes sense to get a top player at both positions.

I agree it will likely be between Raymond, Perfetti or Holtz for Anaheim.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Hopefully Tracey will pan out, but that epitomizes Murray’s drafting. Don’t take the electric scorer with “character issues” and take a guy off board who’s relatively safe. 

Bingo! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Ugh. That's gonna hurt I think. We'll see though...time will tell.

I think so too. The early signs are certainly not promising. Hopefully, Kaliyev has more character issues than goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nieder said:

Because Ottawa has #3 and #5 I feel like they will take the forward of their choice at #3 and then take Drysdale at #5 (or they take Drysdale at #3 and then take whoever Detroit does out of Rossi and Stutzle). It makes sense to get a top player at both positions.

I agree it will likely be between Raymond, Perfetti or Holtz for Anaheim.

exactly. Ottawa can't miss that opportunity. They would be SET. Honestly you're right...they really should be taking Drysdale at #3 to guarantee they can get a star in each position. And could you imagine if somehow Askarov is available at 28????? Ottawa's dream haha

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

think so too. The early signs are certainly not promising. Hopefully, Kaliyev has more character issues than goals.

hopefully! I mean...not sure who exactly on the Kings team is known for their "leadership" Kopi at most....but Doughty and Quick have clear attitude issues. Brown is Brown....apparently Brown and Sutter during the playoff runs were at each other's throats...not that Sutter is there anymore. Anyway...not exactly looking at any of those Kings players as great role models and can help with character issues...or great examples of overcoming that....

sigh...he would have been better in Anaheim 😪😪😪😪😪😪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

exactly. Ottawa can't miss that opportunity. They would be SET. Honestly you're right...they really should be taking Drysdale at #3 to guarantee they can get a star in each position. And could you imagine if somehow Askarov is available at 28????? Ottawa's dream haha

hopefully! I mean...not sure who exactly on the Kings team is known for their "leadership" Kopi at most....but Doughty and Quick have clear attitude issues. Brown is Brown....apparently Brown and Sutter during the playoff runs were at each other's throats...not that Sutter is there anymore. Anyway...not exactly looking at any of those Kings players as great role models and can help with character issues...or great examples of overcoming that....

sigh...he would have been better in Anaheim 😪😪😪😪😪😪

Those Kings players led them to two cups in three years though. Plus, their current top two executives are former Cup winners. Aside from teaching where to party in the South Bay, they’ll also be able to teach what it takes to win. LA seems like a great place for Kaliyev to develop, which isn’t good for the Ducks.

I’d be shocked if Ottawa doesn’t take Stutzle at #3, mainly because I think he’s a better prospect than Drysdale and they need top flight forwards more than defense. To me, I just don’t see them risk losing out Stutzle. With Detroit rumored to eyeing a forward and having drafted Sieder last year, I think Ottawa can feel good about Drysdale being there at #5. If Detroit takes Drysdale, then getting Rossi would still be like striking gold for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Those Kings players led them to two cups in three years though. Plus, their current top two executives are former Cup winners. Aside from teaching where to party in the South Bay, they’ll also be able to teach what it takes to win. LA seems like a great place for Kaliyev to develop, which isn’t good for the Ducks.

I’d be shocked if Ottawa doesn’t take Stutzle at #3, mainly because I think he’s a better prospect than Drysdale and they need top flight forwards more than defense. To me, I just don’t see them risk losing out Stutzle. With Detroit rumored to eyeing a forward and having drafted Sieder last year, I think Ottawa can feel good about Drysdale being there at #5. If Detroit takes Drysdale, then getting Rossi would still be like striking gold for them. 

Judging by their recent history Ottawa really likes big players. I wouldn’t be surprised if Rossi slips by then simply because he’s the opposite of what they’ve drafted lately 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Judging by their recent history Ottawa really likes big players. I wouldn’t be surprised if Rossi slips by then simply because he’s the opposite of what they’ve drafted lately 

I think there’s a decent chance the Kings go with Stutzle and Ottawa gets the 6’4” 215lb Byfield. The Kings have a bunch of high end C prospects already and could really use more talent on the wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think there’s a decent chance the Kings go with Stutzle and Ottawa gets the 6’4” 215lb Byfield. The Kings have a bunch of high end C prospects already and could really use more talent on the wings.

It would not surprise me at all if Kings and Ottawa pick their respect Players they want. Both seem like perfect fit.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think there’s a decent chance the Kings go with Stutzle and Ottawa gets the 6’4” 215lb Byfield. The Kings have a bunch of high end C prospects already and could really use more talent on the wings.

Yeah, the more I think about it and read about it, the more this makes sense. I could still see the Wings taking Rossi though. I know Stevie Y likes to go off the board...but...when a player falls into your lap...you should probably take it haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah, the more I think about it and read about it, the more this makes sense. I could still see the Wings taking Rossi though. I know Stevie Y likes to go off the board...but...when a player falls into your lap...you should probably take it haha

I am wondering our Ducks will make a Deal with Detroit to Get Rossi....IF he is taken then Drysdale is mine second choice.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

 

IF Sens Know I am sure our Ducks know too as well.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

IF Sens Know I am sure our Ducks know too as well.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I think it’s clear that it’s Stutzle if LA picks Byfield and vice versa at 3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.tsn.ca/alexis-lafreniere-tops-tsn-hockey-insider-bob-mckenzie-s-final-draft-rankings-1.1488269?tsn-amp
 

That’s Bob McKenzie’s ratings, which is what you should see the players ranked at during the draft telecast. Those rankings are made by pooling the opinion of 10 scouts. The top 10 is:

1. Alexis Lafreniere

2. Tim Stuetzle

3. Quinton Byfield

4. Jamie Drysdale

5. Cole Perfetti

————-

6. Lucas Raymond

7. Marco Rossi

8. Jake Sanderson

9. Alexander Holtz

10. Jack Quinn
 

The most interesting part of the article is 2 scouts had defenseman Jake Sanderson at #3, the highest Dman in the draft. There’s a lot of interesting tidbits in that article. 
 

I see the players ranked 1-3 going in those spots. After that it sounds like Detroit goes for a forward, and Ottawa takes Drysdale/Sanderson at 5. Who knows what will happen with Anaheim? What if the Ducks are one of the teams that has Sanderson at #3, or if Ottawa does and the Ducks are higher on Drysdale than Perfetti/Raymond/Perfetti/Rossi/Holtz? 

Here’s some more comments on those forwards:

Perfetti:

“He makes plays out of nothing,” a scout said. “He’s not a fast skater but he’s quick when he needs to be, very agile, moves well laterally and creates space for himself to make plays or score.”

“Some scouts ranked Perfetti as high as No. 4 but as low as No. 12”
 

Raymond:

“He was ranked as high as No. 5 and as low as No. 11 by TSN’s scouts.”

“He’s viewed by the scouts as having high-end hockey sense and creativity, which makes him a more effective playmaker than a goal-scorer, but don’t sleep on his ability to put pucks into the net. If there’s a knock on him, some scouts say he plays a bit too much on the perimeter. Nevertheless, he’s viewed by many as an elite offensive skill forward.”

Rossi:

“Some scouts wonder how much more untapped potential there might be versus some of the younger, less physically developed prospects, that Rossi might be more of a what-you-see-is- what-you-get player. That said, nine of 10 scouts ranked Rossi as high as No. 5 and no lower than No. 10 with the exception of one outlier at No. 18.”

Holtz:

“Holtz, who plays both the left and right sides, has one of the best shots in the draft and is among the best natural goal-scorers. If Raymond sometimes gets questioned for being on the perimeter, Holtz gets high marks for getting to the inside and playing a harder game.

He did, however, drop three slots from mid-season. Scouts seem to think the players ranked ahead of him in the Top 10 have more multi-dimensional games.”

 

I don’t really see a slam dunk pick for the Ducks, so it would be hard to be upset. Even Quinn would be hard to get mad at. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Spencer_12 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/alexis-lafreniere-tops-tsn-hockey-insider-bob-mckenzie-s-final-draft-rankings-1.1488269?tsn-amp
 

Holtz:

“Holtz, who plays both the left and right sides, has one of the best shots in the draft and is among the best natural goal-scorers. If Raymond sometimes gets questioned for being on the perimeter, Holtz gets high marks for getting to the inside and playing a harder game.

He did, however, drop three slots from mid-season. Scouts seem to think the players ranked ahead of him in the Top 10 have more multi-dimensional games.”

This is a big reason I’m high on Holtz. I think he gets unfairly criticized for his “shoot from anywhere” mentality, as though he’s just a perimeter player. Dude has courage and gets to the dirty areas to score. And he did it this past season as a 17/18-year-old playing against grown men in the SHL while a lot of these other prospects were in Canadian juniors playing against 16 and 17-year-olds.
 

And of course his game is less well-rounded. He’s a scoring winger, not a center. But he’s an elite shooter who has the courage to go to the dirty areas. We need one of those, badly. I hope he’s our guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

This is a big reason I’m high on Holtz. I think he gets unfairly criticized for his “shoot from anywhere” mentality, as though he’s just a perimeter player. Dude has courage and gets to the dirty areas to score. And he did it this past season as a 17/18-year-old playing against grown men in the SHL while a lot of these other prospects were in Canadian juniors playing against 16 and 17-year-olds.
 

And of course his game is less well-rounded. He’s a scoring winger, not a center. But he’s an elite shooter who has the courage to go to the dirty areas. We need one of those, badly. I hope he’s our guy.

Oh yeah, reading that great post from Spencer I felt more excited about Holtz than Drysdale, Sanderson, Raymond, or Perfetti or Quinn (the players likely who we will be picking from). But I'm excited for any of them!

But man, does Ottawa go after Askarov? That would be crazy...

Also who do we go for at 27 and 36? More defense? Offense? I would think maybe another F and a D....I do like Jake Neighbors but I don't know much about the others around that area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m very high on Perfetti. Incredibly high. 

Cole is talented but I am seeing the Ducks Select Marco Rossi.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

Oh yeah, reading that great post from Spencer I felt more excited about Holtz than Drysdale, Sanderson, Raymond, or Perfetti or Quinn (the players likely who we will be picking from). But I'm excited for any of them!

But man, does Ottawa go after Askarov? That would be crazy...

Also who do we go for at 27 and 36? More defense? Offense? I would think maybe another F and a D....I do like Jake Neighbors but I don't know much about the others around that area.

No way Ottawa takes Askarov lol. He’ll probably go to Carolina, New Jersey or Montreal.

If we keep #27 and #36, I think who we get is going to be impacted by who we take at #6. 
 

13 hours ago, Spencer_12 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/alexis-lafreniere-tops-tsn-hockey-insider-bob-mckenzie-s-final-draft-rankings-1.1488269?tsn-amp
 

That’s Bob McKenzie’s ratings, which is what you should see the players ranked at during the draft telecast. Those rankings are made by pooling the opinion of 10 scouts. The top 10 is:

1. Alexis Lafreniere

2. Tim Stuetzle

3. Quinton Byfield

4. Jamie Drysdale

5. Cole Perfetti

————-

6. Lucas Raymond

7. Marco Rossi

8. Jake Sanderson

9. Alexander Holtz

10. Jack Quinn
 

The most interesting part of the article is 2 scouts had defenseman Jake Sanderson at #3, the highest Dman in the draft. There’s a lot of interesting tidbits in that article. 
 

I see the players ranked 1-3 going in those spots. After that it sounds like Detroit goes for a forward, and Ottawa takes Drysdale/Sanderson at 5. Who knows what will happen with Anaheim? What if the Ducks are one of the teams that has Sanderson at #3, or if Ottawa does and the Ducks are higher on Drysdale than Perfetti/Raymond/Perfetti/Rossi/Holtz? 

Here’s some more comments on those forwards:

Perfetti:

“He makes plays out of nothing,” a scout said. “He’s not a fast skater but he’s quick when he needs to be, very agile, moves well laterally and creates space for himself to make plays or score.”

“Some scouts ranked Perfetti as high as No. 4 but as low as No. 12”
 

Raymond:

“He was ranked as high as No. 5 and as low as No. 11 by TSN’s scouts.”

“He’s viewed by the scouts as having high-end hockey sense and creativity, which makes him a more effective playmaker than a goal-scorer, but don’t sleep on his ability to put pucks into the net. If there’s a knock on him, some scouts say he plays a bit too much on the perimeter. Nevertheless, he’s viewed by many as an elite offensive skill forward.”

Rossi:

“Some scouts wonder how much more untapped potential there might be versus some of the younger, less physically developed prospects, that Rossi might be more of a what-you-see-is- what-you-get player. That said, nine of 10 scouts ranked Rossi as high as No. 5 and no lower than No. 10 with the exception of one outlier at No. 18.”

Holtz:

“Holtz, who plays both the left and right sides, has one of the best shots in the draft and is among the best natural goal-scorers. If Raymond sometimes gets questioned for being on the perimeter, Holtz gets high marks for getting to the inside and playing a harder game.

He did, however, drop three slots from mid-season. Scouts seem to think the players ranked ahead of him in the Top 10 have more multi-dimensional games.”

 

I don’t really see a slam dunk pick for the Ducks, so it would be hard to be upset. Even Quinn would be hard to get mad at. 

Taking Quinn at #6 I think is a reach but would be a great candidate to try to trade down for or to use the #27 and #36 picks to trade up for. Though, I doubt he slips farther than than the mid teens. I agree that there isn’t a slam dunk pick, but Rossi to me is the best option if available but he likely won’t be.   Sanderson is the only pick I’d really shake my head at. With next year’s draft more defense heavy at the top, I’d just wait until then to draft one so high that’s not Drysdale.

I’m in the Holtz camp if it’s between him Raymond or Perfetti, but won’t complain about selecting one of the other two
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

No way Ottawa takes Askarov lol. He’ll probably go to Carolina, New Jersey or Montreal.

If we keep #27 and #36, I think who we get is going to be impacted by who we take at #6. 
 

Taking Quinn at #6 I think is a reach but would be a great candidate to try to trade down for or to use the #27 and #36 picks to trade up for. Though, I doubt he slips farther than than the mid teens. I agree that there isn’t a slam dunk pick, but Rossi to me is the best option if available but he likely won’t be.   Sanderson is the only pick I’d really shake my head at. With next year’s draft more defense heavy at the top, I’d just wait until then to draft one so high that’s not Drysdale.

I’m in the Holtz camp if it’s between him Raymond or Perfetti, but won’t complain about selecting one of the other two
 

Haha if I'm Ottawa I'm looking for a way to trade up into the middle of round 1 to get Askarov...man, they get a F, D, and G in the first round THIS year...4 years from now we'd be seeing an Ottawa team contending for a cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just have this bad feeling about Holtz, and it's the one-dimensional thing.  If the shot doesn't pan out at the NHL level, he's got nothing.  And I have not been enamored with the Ducks' ability to develop skill players.  Still, the Ducks certainly need someone who can score.  I'd probably go:

  1. Drysdale
  2. Rossi
  3. Perfetti
  4. Raymond
  5. Holtz
  6. Sanderson
  7. Quinn

But two of those guys will be gone by the time it gets to us, unless Yzerman has another moment of insanity when it's Detroit's turn to pick.  I think the Ducks should take Drysdale if he's still there.  I'd take any of the next four guys if Drysdale is gone.  I feel like Sanderson is the hot new name to move up the boards, but I think he's a slight reach at six, given the Ducks' needs at forward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I just have this bad feeling about Holtz, and it's the one-dimensional thing.  If the shot doesn't pan out at the NHL level, he's got nothing.  And I have not been enamored with the Ducks' ability to develop skill players.  Still, the Ducks certainly need someone who can score.  I'd probably go:

  1. Drysdale
  2. Rossi
  3. Perfetti
  4. Raymond
  5. Holtz
  6. Sanderson
  7. Quinn

But two of those guys will be gone by the time it gets to us, unless Yzerman has another moment of insanity when it's Detroit's turn to pick.  I think the Ducks should take Drysdale if he's still there.  I'd take any of the next four guys if Drysdale is gone.  I feel like Sanderson is the hot new name to move up the boards, but I think he's a slight reach at six, given the Ducks' needs at forward.

Sanderson is LH correct? Way too log jammed. 
the more I read on Perfetti, the more I love the kid. He can score, he can shoot, he can protect the puck, he’s smart. Just sounds great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Sanderson is LH correct? Way too log jammed. 
the more I read on Perfetti, the more I love the kid. He can score, he can shoot, he can protect the puck, he’s smart. Just sounds great. 

I'm the opposite on Perfetti. The more I read and watch highlights, the less I want him. Undeniably great hands and vision. Good passer and very good shooter too. He looks like a nice asset on the PP. But he's not a very good skater and I've seen criticism that he's not much a player in his own zone. He also frankly looks really soft to me. I'm seeing too many clips of him shying away from contact and circling away from danger rather than driving the net and getting to the high danger areas. And that's in Juniors, not even against grown men. Another knock I've seen on him a few places is that his motor isn't always on and he takes shifts off. IMO, you can't teach a guy courage and you can't teach him effort, and those are two really big red flags for me. If I'm ranking the forwards in that 4-8 range, it's Rossi, Holtz, Raymond, and then Perfetti in that order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Sanderson is LH correct? Way too log jammed. 
the more I read on Perfetti, the more I love the kid. He can score, he can shoot, he can protect the puck, he’s smart. Just sounds great. 

Drysdale would be Logical Choice since he is RHD...Ducks need some RHD....however IF Drysdale is taken DUCKS our team will take Rossi.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest bummer is that none of these guys are elite skaters.  The Ducks could really use a skilled guy with wheels.  These guys are mostly average skaters or slightly above.  But I think that's just the reality of this draft.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I'm the opposite on Perfetti. The more I read and watch highlights, the less I want him. Undeniably great hands and vision. Good passer and very good shooter too. He looks like a nice asset on the PP. But he's not a very good skater and I've seen criticism that he's not much a player in his own zone. He also frankly looks really soft to me. I'm seeing too many clips of him shying away from contact and circling away from danger rather than driving the net and getting to the high danger areas. And that's in Juniors, not even against grown men. Another knock I've seen on him a few places is that his motor isn't always on and he takes shifts off. IMO, you can't teach a guy courage and you can't teach him effort, and those are two really big red flags for me. If I'm ranking the forwards in that 4-8 range, it's Rossi, Holtz, Raymond, and then Perfetti in that order.

I think you’re far too high on Holtz. 

A lot of flaws you find in Perfetti are worse, ten fold in Holtz and Raymond to me is just unspectacular. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eliteprospects.com aggregates all the draft rankings out there, and Raymond actually has the best consensus. Only one rankings (Button) has him outside the top 6, and most have him at #3-4. All the other forwards we might have a shot at have a much bigger spread in the rankings. 
 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/350702/lucas-raymond

A very well-rounded and highly skilled winger. Raymond is blessed with exceptional hockey sense. Furthermore, he has terrific hands, great speed and fine work ethic. Plays with plenty of intensity and battles hard for the puck. A nightmare to play against with his forechecking and puck-stealing ability. He also plays a strong two-way game and is a capable penalty killer. Offensively, he has a strong wrist shot and excellent vision. Few weaknesses overall and is a player that doesn't wait for the play to happen, but the one that generates the play and make things happen. (EP 2018)”

That sounds pretty good to me. If his worst attribute is he sometimes plays on the outside, then I think that can be coached given his high marks for work ethic. Often those floater types are also lazy, and Raymond sounds like a highly skilled guy who actually works hard. That’s a good quality to have. He also played against men in the SHL. 
 

If Ottawa drafts 2 forwards in the top 5, and Detroit goes forward as well, then I expect Raymond to be gone. Could even see Detroit taking him at #4 if they believe in this scouting report. 

Edited by Spencer_12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

And I have not been enamored with the Ducks' ability to develop skill players.

Yeeeeeeeeeep. Same. for a while now.

Honestly I feel like any player's scouting report that has some sort of qualifier of "that can be coached" we should just assume WON'T be coached or fixed in our system. If we get Raymond. Assume he'll never go to the front of the net like we want him to, not consistently, or affectively.

I haven't looked too much on down sides of players, but if Holtz downside is he's one-dimensional...I understand that concern if his shot doesn't pan out. But if he's a hard working player, I have higher faith in him in our system than a player that needs to learn work ethic (not saying there's a specific player here, just in general).

I just don't trust our coaches. Any of them right now.

(speaking of which, Toronto just hired Paul MacLean as an assistant...just...what?! He was available??? Ugh....we need new assistants.....)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...