The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

NHL Entry Draft Targets

3 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Zelleweger is a pretty good pick 

please trade up and take Raty, love that kid 

Not a terrible pick. 

Offensive, mobile defenseman that plays on both sides of the ice. He might top out as a second pair guy but that's probably ok for the 34th overall pick. 

3 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Very young, couple days away from being a 2022 Eligible. Comparison is Samuel Girard. Can’t hate on this pick 

With Raty, Tuomaala and Stankoven on the board he goes Zellweger who plays a position that we already have too many players at and coming up with Thrun/LaCombe. If he trades Lindholm/Fowler, and Larsson then I can see it but for a team that needs goals, it's a bit surprising

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

Just now, nieder said:

Not a terrible pick. 

Offensive, mobile defenseman that plays on both sides of the ice. He might top out as a second pair guy but that's probably ok for the 34th overall pick. 

If the Ducks can have their own Samuel Girard. I’ll be happy. 

Just now, BombaysTripleDeke said:

With Raty, Tuomaala and Stankoven on the board he goes Zellweger who plays a position that we already have too many players at and coming up with Thrun/LaCombe?

I think you just gotta take the talent. We were just talking about how Thrun and LaCombe are STILL in college. What we need could change tomorrow. I think Zellweger is a perfectly fine pick. I would’ve taken a forward, but I can’t complain too much 

2 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

If the Ducks can have their own Samuel Girard. I’ll be happy. 

I think it's probably a decent comparison, though Zellweger relies more on stick checking and Girard isn't afraid to play the body more. That could come more naturally as he gets older and bulks up. But I'm sure there will be some people on here that are upset we drafted another 'soft' defenseman like Fowler lol. 

4 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I think you just gotta take the talent. We were just talking about how Thrun and LaCombe are STILL in college. What we need could change tomorrow. I think Zellweger is a perfectly fine pick. I would’ve taken a forward, but I can’t complain too much 

Agree about how needs change and if he Ducks are going to move Lindholm or Fowler then I think the pick makes a lot of sense. Adding potential scoring forwards seems not to be a priority for a team that can't score lol

1 minute ago, nieder said:

I think it's probably a decent comparison, though Zellweger relies more on stick checking and Girard isn't afraid to play the body more. That could come more naturally as he gets older and bulks up. But I'm sure there will be some people on here that are upset we drafted another 'soft' defenseman like Fowler lol. 

I’m hoping after watching Colorado that people realize that you can build a d core with players who are just good at playing the sport. 

6 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

With Raty, Tuomaala and Stankoven on the board he goes Zellweger who plays a position that we already have too many players at and coming up with Thrun/LaCombe?

You draft best player, not need.

WHy are all these guys still on the board?

Drysdale and Zellweger should be split up, I would say. With confidence...at this stage without even knowing who Zellweger is till just now .... :P :P 

Seems like a good pick though! Shocked at his size...especially for Bob to take him. Feels like this is the opposite of being a heavy team lol but taking a skilled player like Olen sounds great!

also I loved how after Seattle's pick the NHL guys were like..... "huh......ok......" just silence for 5 seconds lol

2 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Agree about how needs change and if he Ducks are going to move Lindholm or Fowler then I think the pick makes a lot of sense.

One of the positives about Zellweger is that he's comfortable on both sides of the ice, so long term Anaheim might see him on the right side since quality right side D can be hard to find. I believe Thrun and Lacombe both play left. 

13 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

You draft best player, not need.

WHy are all these guys still on the board?

Agreed, and if we are going to move on from either Lindholm/Fowler/Manson, Larsson then I like the pick more. But for a GM that laments not being able to score goals, he didn't draft a player who is better suited to do that when he had the chance. Similar to Kaliyev in 2019.

LA is about to make me very depressed by them trading up.

Edit: They did make me sad, took Pinelli and continue to be a far better organization than us. I hate it!

Just now, Spencer_12 said:

Ohhhhh Kings trade up for Pinelli. Hope it doesn’t work out lol 

yeah, to trade up for him is interesting....

22 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m hoping after watching Colorado that people realize that you can build a d core with players who are just good at playing the sport. 

I agree, there are some similarities to the way Fowler plays in the defensive zone though. With the puck he also values puck possession and doesn't get forced into bad plays, so you will see this kid circle back into the zone if there are no options. However, he's definitely a more aggressive offensive threat than Fowler. 

Just now, nieder said:

I agree, there are some similarities to the way Fowler plays in the defensive zone though. With the puck he also values puck possession and doesn't get forced into bad plays, so you will see this kid circle back into the zone if there are no options. However, he's definitely a more aggressive offensive threat than Fowler. 

I’m a huge Fowler defender. So I really don’t mind that. I’m fine with keeping possession rather than throw it away. I’m waiting for people to realize that our forwards suck at providing support, so it’s not really on Fowler. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m a huge Fowler defender. So I really don’t mind that. I’m fine with keeping possession rather than throw it away. I’m waiting for people to realize that our forwards suck at providing support, so it’s not really on Fowler. 

I'm with you, puck possession is key in today's game. The problem with that is Fowler tends to be over conservative, so even if he has guys streaking through the neutral zone, he can be too hesitant to give up the puck if he isn't sure the pass will connect. If Zellweger ends up being a more aggressive version of Fowler I would be pretty happy with that. I think he has the tools to be a better power play QB too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Bob sleeping at the wheel again. Move up in the draft, make moves 

Most of the move up trades are like 50 for 55 and 126.

I think next pick is for ANA is 66.

Of course the kings end up with pinelli, a guy who some had going late in the 1st round. They´ve done some great drafting on paper with byfield, turcotte, kaliyev and now pinelli. 

Having said that after some reading on zellweger I don´t mind the pick.