The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

NHL Entry Draft Targets

Lopina is already 20 years old, so taking him too early may be a risk, despite that he’s had time to develop. What will be key is seeing how he plays in his second year at UMass, assuming he doesn’t sign as a free agent if he is undrafted. This season showed his offensive potential, and finding consistency is the key. However, his defensive and faceoff abilities will get him selected.

Strengths

• Faceoffs
  • Defensive play
  • Experience winning

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Offensive consistency

Tschigerl is another good pick for us today. Perfect 5th round pick. Low risk, potential high reward if he keeps developing. Physical winger with a heavy forecheck but also decent hands. He was a point per game player this past season on an average Hitmen team.

3 minutes ago, nieder said:

Tschigerl is another good pick for us today. Perfect 5th round pick. Low risk, potential high reward if he keeps developing. Physical winger with a heavy forecheck but also decent hands. He was a point per game player this past season on an average Hitmen team.

Listening to every announcer mess up his name will be fun too.

Looks like a word scramble.

Edited by ike8228

15 minutes ago, ike8228 said:

Listening to every announcer mess up his name will be fun too.

Looks like a word scramble.

I'd like to buy a vowel, please?

RD PICK OVERALL PICK TEAM NAME POS COUNTRY H W AMATEUR LEAGUE AMATEUR TEAM
  1 3 3   Mason Mctavish C CHE 6' 1" 207 OHL PETERBOROUGH
  2 2 34   Olen Zellweger D CAN 5' 9" 175 WHL EVERETT
  3 2 66   Sasha Pastujov R USA 6' 0" 184 NTDP USA U-18
  3 12 76   Tyson Hinds D CAN 6' 3" 178 QMJHL RIMOUSKI
  4 2 98   Joshua Lopina C USA 6' 2" 195 H-EAST UMASS
  5 2 130   Sean Tschigerl L CAN 6' 0" 189 WHL CALGARY
  5 20 148   Gage Alexander G CAN 6' 6" 205 WHL WINNIPEG
  6 2 162   Kyle Kukkonen C USA 5' 10" 172 HIGH-MN MAPLE GROVE
  • Like 1

I'll just say that picks are going to take a long time to develop. Maybe Mason gets here in a couple of years. This draft class as a whole seemed a little meh.

So best case scenario.

Comtois - Zegras - Terry

Pastujov - McTavish - Perrault 

Jones - Lundestrom - Colangelo 

Zelweger - Drysdale 

Dostal 

Just a quick line up of our core prospects. Gues like Moore, Thrun, Lopina, Tschigerl, Nickl, Galimov, etc as secondary guys I could see making the team. 

On paper, the Ducks absolutely crushed day 2 of the draft: 

Zellweger: The analytics/model guys absolutely love this kid. I’ve seen him in the top 15 of the entire draft here. Traditional scouts love him too; he had 1st round grades at a number of places. One scout for FCHockey had him ranked 4th! There’s a lot to like about this kid.

Pastujov: Everything I just said about Zellweger might as well be copy/pasted here. This could go down as one of the steals of the draft. I can’t believe the Ducks got him at #66. He had even more 1st round grades from traditional scouting outlets than Zellweger; Scott Wheeler of The Athletic had him at #14! The analytics/model guys love him too with many having him in the top 15. What a pick. 

Hinds: Nothing too sexy about him; could be a bit of a reach here. His offensive game came on when he got traded to Rimouski in the QMJHL. Perhaps the Ducks see some good potential in him.

Lopina: Interesting pick. He’s already 20 years old and coming off his freshman season at UMass. He had a good season though with 23 points in 29 games. One to keep an eye on. 

Tschigerl: Welcome back to potential steal territory. This guy had a number of 2nd round grades, a couple 3rd round grades, and one 1st round grade going off Eliteprospects aggregated rankings. How did he make it to #130? He plays a complete game too. I really like the value here.

Kukkonen: Here’s the swinging for the fences pick. Highly skilled, small-ish high school player out of Minnesota. Odds are low he makes it, but if he does it would be great. 

Overall, this was an amazing draft on paper. Let’s hope it pans out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Welcome to Anaheim Ducks Olen Zwellenger,Sasha Pastujov,Tyson Hinds,Joshua Lopina,Sean Tschigerl,Gage Alexander and Kyle Kukkonen...With Mason McTavish I am very Pleased with this Draft Class Generation of Ducks.....Very Happy I am.😀

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Stothers coached Zellweger in the past and by the end of the tournament had Zellweger running the power play. I think that pick was all Stothers